Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a good sourced and legitimate article going into this thing I heard on Opening Arguments the other day about more spies being killed than usual?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Rappaport posted:

He's weird about food because of his germaphobia. He thinks McDonald's is less likely to be compromised. Somehow.
Mcdonald's actually does have stricter cleanliness and food safety protocols than the government requires, and has a good track record compared to other restaurants.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Crows Turn Off posted:

Mcdonald's actually does have stricter cleanliness and food safety protocols than the government requires, and has a good track record compared to other restaurants.

Trump's bugaboo was that he allegedly constantly feared assassination, so he never trusted his own kitchen staff or any restaurant where he had to make a reservation or sit down and wait for his food because people would know he was there waiting and try to poison him. His rationale was that the food at McDonalds was already made before he arrived, so no one could have the chance to pre-poison it for him.

Donald Trump is not a smart man.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

XboxPants posted:

I mean, yes? Isn't one of the common causes for hoarders that they're trying to retain a sense of control? Getting booted outta the white house could trigger that kind of behavior, I guess.

Yeah, it’s got to be something like that. A magpie-like desire to grab and keep anything that looks appealing combined with a total lack of mental separation between himself and the office.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Youth Decay posted:

Taking bets on what exactly the 19 "Article of Clothing/Gift Item"s they found were. Had to be small enough or fold up small enough to fit into the boxes stuffed with other files.

...MAGA hats?

Ivanka's panties.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Angry_Ed posted:

Also Trump still seems to think he is the President still (see: wanting a complete redo of 2020), therefore he can have these documents.

I wonder if one of his lawyers suggested that he needs to dial the crazy up so that they can argue that he genuinely believes he is still the rightful president who should have these documents, so he didn't have any malicious intent to break the law.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Are you under the impression that I sign off on massive political violence against the weak? Or did you just go a little too far in the rhetorical flourishes here?

indeed I am! you may recall, the facilities we were comfortable calling child death camps under Trump are still running at full capacity, with the current stated purpose of purging america of demographics deemed an unacceptable plague risk. ICE is still smashing down doors, dragging families into cages, and in one notable recent case claiming no, really, this two year old told us in an interview that he came to the United States seeking work, so we gotta deport him pronto.

this is massive political violence, against the weak, wholly endorsed and indeed actively defended in court by the democratic party. and you have decided that supporting the democratic party is important enough for other reasons that you cannot withdraw your support from them over it.

as such, the debate is not "will you support political violence." that boat has long since sailed. what remains now is quibbling over which demographics are acceptable targets.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
By "political violence", Biden is pretty obviously referring to violence committed by private individuals and groups for the sake of murdering their political opponents or overthrowing the political system, rather than state violence committed by governmental entities in the pursuit of various ends strongly influenced by politics.

There's a clear distinction, and the distinction is not in who is targeted, but rather in who is doing it.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a good sourced and legitimate article going into this thing I heard on Opening Arguments the other day about more spies being killed than usual?

I don't see anything in recent news, but human intelligence has been getting decimated over the last decade. My personal theory, based mostly off anecdotes and rumors, is that the CIA has had trouble hiring because of stringent drug testing and a lot of new case officers end up just being weirdos who are bad at tradecraft.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

It's nothing more than speculation that there's any connection. However the speculation is not inconsistent with the facts.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

By "political violence", Biden is pretty obviously referring to violence committed by private individuals and groups for the sake of murdering their political opponents or overthrowing the political system, rather than state violence committed by governmental entities in the pursuit of various ends strongly influenced by politics.

There's a clear distinction, and the distinction is not in who is targeted, but rather in who is doing it.

a bit confusing, that; are we now pretending that January 6th was just private individuals having a good time, and not being coordinated by the governmental entities who were backing it to the point of openly cheering on the participants the day of?

if the January 6th people had been formally deputized by Trump as agents of the Emergency Gold Fringe Special Police Force, would that have made their actions no longer "political violence?"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

a bit confusing, that; are we now pretending that January 6th was just private individuals having a good time, and not being coordinated by the governmental entities who were backing it to the point of openly cheering on the participants the day of?

if the January 6th people had been formally deputized by Trump as agents of the Emergency Gold Fringe Special Police Force, would that have made their actions no longer "political violence?"

No, because Trump does not actually have the legal authority to create an "Emergency Gold Fringe Special Police Force", nor does he have the ability to deputize a crowd full of people whose names he mostly doesn't even know.

Some of the people involved in coordinating and whipping up Jan 6 were politicians who were members of the government at the time, but they were effectively acting in their capacity as private citizens, rather than wielding state power and authority.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Right, he's being specific about what he perceives as the problem. Biden presents the MAGA movement as a break from how republicans used to operate. Which means he's excluding, as one example, the Brooks Brothers Riot in 2000, where election workers were assaulted by republican operatives. That riot successfully shut down a recount, which led to the election being decided by a GOP-dominated Supreme Court rather than a fair tabulation of the votes.

So the issue is clearly not that the republicans are engaging in violence, or even that republicans are engaging in violence against the operation of the political system to achieve a political outcome. It's specifically that elected politicians are being targeted rather than, say, civil servants. As Joe Biden is, himself, an elected politician, it shouldn't be too surprising that this distinction is highly meaningful to him.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Morrow posted:

I don't see anything in recent news, but human intelligence has been getting decimated over the last decade. My personal theory, based mostly off anecdotes and rumors, is that the CIA has had trouble hiring because of stringent drug testing and a lot of new case officers end up just being weirdos who are bad at tradecraft.

another big part of it is the economics involved. the CIA leads the world in SIGINT. America has a genuinely amazing amount of technological doo-dads that can be used to intercept just about anything just about anywhere, because you can throw several billion dollars at any technical problem and even if there's no -good- answer somebody will give you an acceptable one in exchange for a ten million dollar contract ad infinitum. you can accomplish getting better at SIGINT while never leaving the country, never having to know a damned thing beyond "i wish we could do this," and only leaving your home county for a meeting with someone in silicon valley concluded by blowing a couple grand at the best restaurant you can find.

HUMINT, by comparison, requires you to actually know people, and blend in with the locals, and understand what they're into, and you cannot just throw a billion dollars at the problem and make one of those people appear. if you do throw a billion dollars at the problem, you get someone locally who will say whatever will keep the money flowing their direction, and those people make for unreliable agents at best. HUMINT requires time and effort that cannot be circumvented by simply throwing money at the problem, and that means it provides very little in the way of short-term returns.

and in a world where you've got a budget, and one of these you can trust to show some kind of return very quickly, and one of these that might, maybe, show returns in a decade or so? it is unsurprising your average middle manager decides to prioritize the one that might get him promoted while he's still got hair.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I think a better interpretation is that Biden's message is aimed at the average person on the street who watches the evening news once a day and ignores the rest of the world the rest of the time. Telling them that Republicans have gone bugfuck bonkers and are a threat is the message.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

No, because Trump does not actually have the legal authority to create an "Emergency Gold Fringe Special Police Force", nor does he have the ability to deputize a crowd full of people whose names he mostly doesn't even know.

Some of the people involved in coordinating and whipping up Jan 6 were politicians who were members of the government at the time, but they were effectively acting in their capacity as private citizens, rather than wielding state power and authority.

ah. when a politician demands his supporters do violence on people with power, to accomplish his political goals, that's political violence from private citizens, which must be avoided.
when a politician demands his employees do violence on people with no power, to accomplish his political goals, that's not ~political violence~, that's just violently accomplishing political goals, which is unworthy of similar condemnation. it's hair-splitting, but I can see where the line is supposedly being drawn.

in this schema, where does "a politician demands his supporters, some of which his employees, do violence on people in charge of transferring power, to accomplish his political goals, but he gives Joe Biden's kid a cushy government job afterwards" fall

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Also, it will never not be hilarious/depressing that the world spent months worrying about Hillary Clinton's email server and whether she could be trusted to handle classified information and we now know that Trump kept classified documents in his unlocked clothes drawer and desk drawer with food..

Not the world, America. Rest of the world sees Republicans for what they are.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Youth Decay posted:

Taking bets on what exactly the 19 "Article of Clothing/Gift Item"s they found were. Had to be small enough or fold up small enough to fit into the boxes stuffed with other files.

...MAGA hats?

Personalized jerseys from championship teams that visited the White House would be my guess.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

https://twitter.com/leahstokes/status/1565759001488416768

Looks like John Podesta will be taking over as Biden's Climate Czar, taking over for Gina McCarthy who has been in the role since the inauguration. Podesta will oversee the spending for the IRA w/r/t clean energy transformation and will lead the distribution of some $370 billion.

Podesta is known for his close ties to democratic power going back to the Clinton administration and is probably best known in these forums for his work to take down Bernie in 2016 or the pizza gate e-mails depending. He recently spoke out against Joe Manchin when he looked like he'd tank any climate action, and serves as Board Chair for the climate works foundation, a global philanthropy working to solve climate crises by funding research, development, and policy advocacy.

He makes my skin crawl and I wish him every success in his new role.

Leon Sumbitches fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 2, 2022

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
i hope he secretly subsists on the livers and kidneys of oil company execs

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Crain posted:

Ivanka's panties.

This seems like a normal and not at all weird thing to post.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Crain posted:

Ivanka's panties.

Fister Roboto posted:

This seems like a normal and not at all weird thing to post.

Yeah, please don't be weird about that. I missed that the first time around.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ah. when a politician demands his supporters do violence on people with power, to accomplish his political goals, that's political violence from private citizens, which must be avoided.
when a politician demands his employees do violence on people with no power, to accomplish his political goals, that's not ~political violence~, that's just violently accomplishing political goals, which is unworthy of similar condemnation. it's hair-splitting, but I can see where the line is supposedly being drawn.

Yes, that's the line, because the state has a monopoly on the use of legitimate violence. It's the line that defines what a sovereign is so I guess you could call that hairsplitting if these were hairs you can see from space.

It's also literally the same line that divides taxation from theft, kidnapping from arrest, murder from execution, etc, etc.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

in this schema, where does "a politician demands his supporters, some of which his employees, do violence on people in charge of transferring power, to accomplish his political goals, but he gives Joe Biden's kid a cushy government job afterwards" fall

I'm not sure what exactly you're talking about here, since you're suddenly being so vague about specifics. But going back to the earlier examples you gave, I hope you can understand the significant distinction between "the president of the US allows an executive agency established by Congress to enforce the laws passed by Congress" and "the president and some individual members of Congress personally arrange to rile up private militias to riot in the Capitol".

Note that I am not making a value judgement here or saying that one is somehow better than the other, I'm just pointing out the existence of the distinction. I feel like you're trying to make a point about how violence is violence, regardless of the exact procedures used to order it and the specifics of the employment arrangements of the people carrying it out. But the distinction between individual violence and state violence is still significant for other reasons, and shouldn't be ignored completely - especially when we're discussing the words of a politician whose current stance and actions are highly concerned with that distinction, in a political context which is also highly concerned with that distinction.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm not sure what exactly you're talking about here, since you're suddenly being so vague about specifics. But going back to the earlier examples you gave, I hope you can understand the significant distinction between "the president of the US allows an executive agency established by Congress to enforce the laws passed by Congress" and "the president and some individual members of Congress personally arrange to rile up private militias to riot in the Capitol".

Note that I am not making a value judgement here or saying that one is somehow better than the other, I'm just pointing out the existence of the distinction. I feel like you're trying to make a point about how violence is violence, regardless of the exact procedures used to order it and the specifics of the employment arrangements of the people carrying it out. But the distinction between individual violence and state violence is still significant for other reasons, and shouldn't be ignored completely - especially when we're discussing the words of a politician whose current stance and actions are highly concerned with that distinction, in a political context which is also highly concerned with that distinction.

oh, the last one is the Brooks Brothers Riot. i'm curious where it fits in this schema. is that state political violence, or individual political violence.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yeah, please don't be weird about that. I missed that the first time around.

Trump's weird obsession with his daughter is off limits?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Crain posted:

No, but just try not to be weird and post about his adult daughter's underwear.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

oh, the last one is the Brooks Brothers Riot. i'm curious where it fits in this schema. is that state political violence, or individual political violence.

It's pretty clearly individual political violence. For it to be state violence, they would have had to dispatch an actual state organization to disrupt things - not in their capacity as individual employees, but wielding the power and authority of the state.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Crain posted:

It's comes across as weird fanfiction to be honest. There is enough weird, sad reality that you really don't need to make things up.
"I bet he keeps his daughters underwear with the classified documents." is loving weird, no matter who you're talking about. You're just inventing gross poo poo.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Wayne Knight posted:

It's comes across as weird fanfiction to be honest. There is enough weird, sad reality that you really don't need to make things up.
"I bet he keeps his daughters underwear with the classified documents." is loving weird, no matter who you're talking about. You're just inventing gross poo poo.

We must be serious about Ivanka's panties on somethingawful.com

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If you're going to post, let's try to keep it to discussions of Barron's jockstrap

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Gross

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Trump obviously stole a bunch of valuable docs so he could do something with them.

All of this "maybe he's a wierd little magpie" poo poo is honestly bizarre.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
The dopamine crash this country is going to experience when Trump finally goes away, and his weird amalgam of Breaking Bad and The Real Housewives of New Jersey that everyone is binge watching finally ends, is going to make 2008 look like a walk in the park.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 3, 2022

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

aventari posted:

We must be serious about Ivanka's panties on somethingawful.com

You must be willing to back up your assertions on D&D, panties or no.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

-Blackadder- posted:

The dopamine crash this country is going to experience when Trump finally goes away and his weird amalgam of Breaking Bad and The Real Housewives of New Jersey that everyone is binge watching finally ends, is going to make 2008 look like a walk in the park.

There's a classic political cartoon from the 70s that parallels this exactly (and which it's killing me not to be able to find in the wild, as I only have it on another device not currently to hand); this woman describes how dull and grey life has become, how she can't feel things like she used to and can barely summon the motivation to get out of bed, concluding in the final panel, "I need Nixon."

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Fart Amplifier posted:

It's nothing more than speculation that there's any connection. However the speculation is not inconsistent with the facts.

I’m aware of that. Is there a good sourced and legit article discussing these facts and speculations?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Koos Group posted:

You must be willing to back up your assertions on D&D, panties or no.

I think there's a comedy exception, but only if the mod deems it to be sufficiently funny or amusing, which seems to be very risky in this case.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Captain_Maclaine posted:

There's a classic political cartoon from the 70s that parallels this exactly (and which it's killing me not to be able to find in the wild, as I only have it on another device not currently to hand); this woman describes how dull and grey life has become, how she can't feel things like she used to and can barely summon the motivation to get out of bed, concluding in the final panel, "I need Nixon."

This kind of teasing is just cruel :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Who the gently caress cares what kind of jokes you make about the Trumps, lies or not, funny or not

Jesus Christ the decorum