Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Dante from DMC unironically :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Mix. posted:

Dante from DMC unironically :colbert:
Four different Dantes, so you can have a team that's just him with four different weapons.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Managed to win another 50/50 and nab Tighnari, but I'm a little lost as to how to build him, do you go atk sands/dendro goblet/crit hat on him, or is his EM scaling strong enough that you deck him out in full EM artifacts?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

guys please the next collab character is clearly the aflac duck

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Odysseus S. Grant posted:

Managed to win another 50/50 and nab Tighnari, but I'm a little lost as to how to build him, do you go atk sands/dendro goblet/crit hat on him, or is his EM scaling strong enough that you deck him out in full EM artifacts?

Atk/EM sands depending on if he'll have a good set up for reactions. Other than that, he looks like a pretty standard build. His artifact set is highly dependent on team comp, which kind of sucks considering they have yet to implement assigning artifacts to a set

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Alright, I've been trying to boost my hyperbloom damage, and I'm getting nowhere fast.

Dendro DMG% = does nothing. Hyperblooms deal dendro damage, but not like that.
Mona's Burst = does nothing. It must be calculated as more damage being caused by you, even thought the talent says it increases damage taken by the enemy.
4 piece TF = does nothing? I've recorded some footage, and I'm not seeing any change in damage output on hyperblooms, regardless of whether that character is on field or not.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Sabzeruz Festival owwwwwwwwwwns, this loving rules! Sumeru is so cool even though the city's a academic dictatorship! loving Footloose rear end leadership.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Maxwell Adams posted:

Alright, I've been trying to boost my hyperbloom damage, and I'm getting nowhere fast.

Dendro DMG% = does nothing. Hyperblooms deal dendro damage, but not like that.
Mona's Burst = does nothing. It must be calculated as more damage being caused by you, even thought the talent says it increases damage taken by the enemy.
4 piece TF = does nothing? I've recorded some footage, and I'm not seeing any change in damage output on hyperblooms, regardless of whether that character is on field or not.

Bonus damage % from goblets, Mona, geo resonance etc has never affected flat-damage reactions.
4TF should work, or just stacking more EM with 2pc Wanderer or 4pc Gilded.

Keep in mind that the reaction damage from sets like 4TF stacks additively with the damage increase from EM, so if you already have high EM it will in practice be much less than a 40% increase.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 2, 2022

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012
The next Collab: The Muppet's Animal as a reskinned hillichurl.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
They've already got a KFC connection, so I'm feeling Colonel Sanders.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

So many factors playing in, but you could do the lazy thing and try two fights with one of each in the same setup. I changed from atk to EM (wanderers) yesterday, and the increase is much higher than I thought it'd be.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you want dendro goblet and crit hat, but his sands should be EM and you should be hunting for EM substats on pretty much all of his artifacts (though you still want a decent crit ratio, obviously).

There's a point where EM hits diminishing returns, though, so don't go too hard on it. If you're using an EM weapon like Stringless and he's in a party with Kazuha or Sucrose, you can go ATK sands. You can also run him with the new EM set, which if you're doing that you definitely want ATK sands.

Personally though Wanderer's feels a lot better on him.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I managed to figure out how to get that video I saved like a month ago to actually upload. Remember me, when you're playing this game on PCs and PS5s. It's kinda caveman times back here.

https://i.imgur.com/PP3bFq5.mp4

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

EM sands, dendro goblet, crit hat. His reaction is Quicken/Aggravate/Spread. Crit = dmg >>> em >= atk (there are probably em values where atk starts to be better but I don't know them).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 2, 2022

Kale
May 14, 2010

What's up with this kind of stupid Adventure in the Forest Web Event thing? Like I know it's obviously to try to generate traffic on Hoyolab, but why can't I claim any of the prizes and there's just this forever counter counting down and then resetting the next day that keeps telling me to come back later? Like do I have to claim it at an exact specific time window within like a minute or something cause gently caress that honestly that's just dumb if that's the case but it's kind of the only conclusion I've come too.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Thanks for the answers re: Tighnari, everyone. I have a really good dendro goblet from the new EM set, and decent flowers/feathers, so I only need the hat/sands for him.
As for weapons, I've got exactly zero 5* bows, but most of the 4* ones at varying refinement, I was thinking of sticking the windblume bow on him, or is that bait?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Kale posted:

What's up with this kind of stupid Adventure in the Forest Web Event thing? Like I know it's obviously to try to generate traffic on Hoyolab, but why can't I claim any of the prizes and there's just this forever counter counting down and then resetting the next day that keeps telling me to come back later? Like do I have to claim it at an exact specific time window within like a minute or something cause gently caress that honestly that's just dumb if that's the case but it's kind of the only conclusion I've come too.

that's exactly it, either you

1 - Log in exactly at the reset time before anyone else can claim the extremely limited daily inventory of guaranteed prizes

OR

2 - you press the "plant 30 seeds" slot machine and hope to get a payoff (lol, lmao)

Kale
May 14, 2010

Excelzior posted:

that's exactly it, either you

1 - Log in exactly at the reset time before anyone else can claim the extremely limited daily inventory of guaranteed prizes

OR

2 - you press the "plant 30 seeds" slot machine and hope to get a payoff (lol, lmao)

With this games level of player base that seems almost impossible for someone that is using sleeping at the time it resets in particular. Even if I weren't I've never been good at EBAY games so.....like I just assume the primogems are all gone within like 2 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vGcmw3H83U

Anyway Dori's character trailer came out today, but I'm going to share the Japanese one cause it's just particularly special how this VA has decided to do the character still. I've noticed they've developed a fondness for this kind of stop motion 2D animation style in recent trailers as well, mostly for comedic stuff. Stop motion in general seems like it must be pretty popular in China cause they did the Pizza Hut commercial in that style and lots of Bilibili content videos use it as well.

Kale fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 2, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I unlocked the Aranaka gadget while finishing the prerequisites to the last picture taking stage from the graven event. Is there any special reason to progress on aranaka at this point, or can I do it over the next sixth months?

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

(seriously why don't hydro mage shields have any real weakness?)

They do now! :science:

6 Dendro gauge units will break a hydro abyss mage shield, which is equally good as Pyro vs cryo, or hydro vs pyro.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I ran out of fun games to play, and picked up Genshin as a last resort about a week ago.
So far I'm enjoying the main quest, even if everyone seems to have 5x more dialogue lines than I'd prefer, dragging things out tremendously with endless clicking.
Last night I finished the Liyue finale with the hydra fight, and reached Adventure Rank 30.

Anyway, I'm trying to get by playing this on as low a budget as possible, since I usually keep my game spending to $20 per title (waiting for Steam sales and whatnot), and I've started feeling exceedingly limited by a lack of proper "main" character to prioritise. This is my very first gacha game, so I've just been pulling on the standard banner whenever a quest hands me a blue blob, mostly saving up primos until I know what I'm doing.

Current roster/team is focused on Noelle, since the all-knowing websites said she was A-tier main, and I didn't have much else to go on, with these being every single character I have available:

Any tips on how I should accumulate more options early?

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Noelle really wants her last constellation to be a strong main carry character, and is also extremely hungry for energy while having terrible energy generation. You can absolutely make her work if she's your favorite but I wouldn't recommend focusing on her to a new player (although she can fill a supporting healer role just fine).

Ninguang, or a physical damage Xiangling with a crafted crescent pike, should work significantly better straight out of the box.

Don't trust website tier lists or stuff like that, most of them are lovely clickbait. I'd recommend joining the discord linked in the OP and asking questions there. You can then sift useful info from the several paragraphs of argument which will inevitably follow.

I'd strongly recommend pulling on the current Zhongli banner. He will not help your immediate problem of lacking a strong damage main, but he will solve basically all your defense issues forever.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Thanks for the answers re: Tighnari, everyone. I have a really good dendro goblet from the new EM set, and decent flowers/feathers, so I only need the hat/sands for him.
As for weapons, I've got exactly zero 5* bows, but most of the 4* ones at varying refinement, I was thinking of sticking the windblume bow on him, or is that bait?

Windblume is fine, but Slingshot might unironically be an option.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

darkgray posted:

I ran out of fun games to play, and picked up Genshin as a last resort about a week ago.
So far I'm enjoying the main quest, even if everyone seems to have 5x more dialogue lines than I'd prefer, dragging things out tremendously with endless clicking.
Last night I finished the Liyue finale with the hydra fight, and reached Adventure Rank 30.

Anyway, I'm trying to get by playing this on as low a budget as possible, since I usually keep my game spending to $20 per title (waiting for Steam sales and whatnot), and I've started feeling exceedingly limited by a lack of proper "main" character to prioritise. This is my very first gacha game, so I've just been pulling on the standard banner whenever a quest hands me a blue blob, mostly saving up primos until I know what I'm doing.

Current roster/team is focused on Noelle, since the all-knowing websites said she was A-tier main, and I didn't have much else to go on, with these being every single character I have available:

The most common strategy in this game is abusing the combo of bennett + xiangling for one of your two abyss teams and rolling one or more 5 stars for the other (most typically either hu tao or Ayaka but there are tons of options).

You might have a better time with Kaeya as your "main character" instead of noelle for now because noelle has very steep energy requirements that are hard to meet before AR45. I'd just keep progressing with story and dailies for now and hold your rainbow wishes until you see a 5 star you like, there isnt really a way to increase your roster besides rolling and events every other patch.

Kale
May 14, 2010

hit button posted:

Noelle really wants her last constellation to be a strong main carry character, and is also extremely hungry for energy while having terrible energy generation. You can absolutely make her work if she's your favorite but I wouldn't recommend focusing on her to a new player (although she can fill a supporting healer role just fine).

Ninguang, or a physical damage Xiangling with a crafted crescent pike, should work significantly better straight out of the box.

Don't trust website tier lists or stuff like that, most of them are lovely clickbait. I'd recommend joining the discord linked in the OP and asking questions there. You can then sift useful info from the several paragraphs of argument which will inevitably follow.

I'd strongly recommend pulling on the current Zhongli banner. He will not help your immediate problem of lacking a strong damage main, but he will solve basically all your defense issues forever.

Yeah I'd kind of second this based on what I've seen. There's some kind of okay sites out there that just report on what characters do or you could ask here but avoid youtube in particular which seems to revolve around flip flopping on characters for clicks. There's been some horrible early takes on more than a few characters too or failing to take notes of their strengths properly. Like Raiden Shogun for example was once evaluated as pretty bad even though she's almost unarguably the best Electro character in the entire game. Also Shenhe got a pretty bad evaluation early on too but if you have Ayaka and/or Ganyu then shes absolutely amazing with buffing them. Also Yae was extremely popular as a character but her early character evaluation was pretty lukewarm. That one I sort of get though as they needed to kind of fix her teleport and it turns out that her kit is really good for exploiting Quicken as well with 3.0s changes.

Bascially youtube genshin vids on character utility are kind of like that duality of man thing with a lot of them possibly having no idea what they are even talking about to begin with.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

darkgray posted:

First of all, unless you especially dislike Zhongli you should probably be pulling on his event banner--he can make anyone even more loving invincible than Noelle, can do a little crowd control, provides a nice damage boost, runs fast as a tall man, and gives you a good geo structure to climb to cheese some platforming. Plus, Fischl and Diona are definitely two of the best characters in the game, and Collei is looking pretty good but theory crafters just got three new characters and a whole new set of elemental reactions to look at so she hasn't gotten too much attention yet.

Second, check the part of the shop labeled "Paimon's bargains," there's two 4 star characters a month in there that you can buy with some stuff you get as biproducts of rolling, and it includes some really good ones. I think you missed Xingqui by a day, but everyone in there is good IIRC. Especially Bennett if he's there this month. I think there's also nothing stopping you from dipping into Sumeru for Dendro Traveller, but I have no idea how good they are before endgame.

Finally, some team building recs.
Noelle can do basically anything, but she's not a great dps until she gets her Constellation 6, and a bunch of energy recharge.

Really in general energy recharge is a limiting factor early on. I think right now your best bet is probably either a physical team or a geo team.

You had pretty good instincts with who you chose to level, they're all pretty good. For a physical comp, it's important to use Superconduct, the combination of Electro and Cryo, to reduce enemy defense. So for that type of team with your current characters (and honestly, even with more characters these aren't bad picks) would definitely include Fischl and Kaeya. After that you want your actual physical dps, and you've got a few options.

Kaeya and Fischl both have pretty strong normals and can do the job just fine, leaving you two other slots for whoever you want. Xiangling has really good normals and access to the Crescent Pike, an overpowered craftable spear for a physical DPS. And Noelle can handle that role just fine too, especially since both of Mondstat's craftable claymores are good. Whiteblind is even basically her signature weapon, with the defense playing well into the rest of her kit. (Also I don't remember the name of the other one, it's good on basically any DPS claymore user though, between it's high attack stat and extra damage passive.)

Then depending on who you picked for your DPS, you want a healer if you didn't pick Noelle and one or two flex slots. Noelle and Barbara can both be decent healers. Noelle is a bit lacking in healing but also gives a shield, breaks geo stuff, and brings 1/2 of the very powerful Geo Resonance. Barbara heals better and can buff atk by holding the three star weapon "Thrilling Tales Of Dragon Slayers," but that's basically all she does and her elemental skill gets you wet which sucks. For your last slot if you have one, you can either bring Geo Traveller to complete the Geo Resonance and provide structures for puzzles and platforming, or just bring whoever you think is cool. Of note is that while Amber is bottom tier for combat, her gliding bonus, flaming arrows, and taunt that can also press down geo switches if you're fast is S-Tier for exploration.

This team won't be amazing as a team in the end game where you want either a reaction based team or a physical DPS with inflated numbers, but every character involved is good in other teams.

This is getting long, but your other good option is a Geo team. Until you get later game energy recharge, you'll want to either run Noelle with both Geo Traveller and Ninguang for batteries, or just run Ninguang with Noelle to complete your resonance. Would say "one of the other two" but I just remembered that Geo Resonance only works when shielded. Then it's once again a healer (Noelle counts) and a flex--this time, I'd really recommend Fischl. Once you get her last passive talent her raven will shoot out an extra shot whenever you cause a reaction involving electro, and since you're using elemental attacks in the form of Noelle's burst or Ninguang's everything, nearly all of your attacks should be doing that once she gets some initial electro on things. Fischl is really good, just, in general.

This one will hold up as a team better into the late/end game, but it will have trouble with elemental shields, and Ninguang and Geo Traveller are a bit niche outside of Geo teams. On the bright side, while you need to skill them up separately, every Traveller shares a level.

Hope this helps, sorry for all the :words: otherwise.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 2, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Fischl > Raiden. aside from that one raiden comp.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

xingqiu is in paimon's shop all of september along with ningguang

august was baidou/noelle

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

No Wave posted:

Fischl > Raiden. aside from that one raiden comp.

Out of curiosity, what makes Fischl better than Raiden for most comps? I've just started building both of them up because I've barely played since I pulled Raiden and had also been badly neglecting my non-Xingqiu/Bennett 4-stars before then.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Harrow posted:

Out of curiosity, what makes Fischl better than Raiden for most comps? I've just started building both of them up because I've barely played since I pulled Raiden and had also been badly neglecting my non-Xingqiu/Bennett 4-stars before then.
Neither opinion is wrong, but fischl does a ton more off field damage and applies more electro. Even if it's a comp that is friendly to raiden's field hogging fischl is still often more damage. It's only very specific comps that raiden ends up better. Ofc if your characters have underbuilt ER in general raiden will always be better. And a lot of the time they're very close in damage so it's not like you're deprived building one and not the other.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 2, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

No Wave posted:

Neither opinion is wrong, but fischl does a ton more off field damage and applies more electro. Even if it's a comp that is friendly to raiden's field hogging fischl is still often more damage. It's only very specific comps that raiden ends up better. Ofc if your characters have underbuilt ER in general raiden will always be better.

Yeah I was thinking about pairing Ayato and Raiden since Ayato has that 6-second gap between his infusion windows where Raiden's burst could fit in, and she'd help with his energy issues. But I also really like having Fischl around because it's useful to have an archer for exploration, and also Oz is cool.

Fischl is more built than Raiden so I'm using her now (while very very slowly trying to get The Catch) and I'm kicking myself for not building her sooner.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Fischl is the most anime character and her voiceover lines rule with how over-the-top they are

Wings of Darkness, come, sever the night from day!!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Harrow posted:

Yeah I was thinking about pairing Ayato and Raiden since Ayato has that 6-second gap between his infusion windows where Raiden's burst could fit in, and she'd help with his energy issues. But I also really like having Fischl around because it's useful to have an archer for exploration, and also Oz is cool.

Fischl is more built than Raiden so I'm using her now (while very very slowly trying to get The Catch) and I'm kicking myself for not building her sooner.
Fischl (C6) is Ayato's best pairing! Her A4 pops off.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Raiden is much less maintenance than Fischl

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

No Wave posted:

Fischl (C6) is Ayato's best pairing! Her A4 pops off.

I actually just pulled her C6 and even with lovely artifacts I'm seeing some real big purple numbers.

The only real issue I have is that I have jack poo poo for ER on Ayato and Raiden could help patch that hole a bit. Then again I'm also not currently doing anything so challenging with this squad that I need to use his burst on cooldown anyway so :shrug:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

gandlethorpe posted:

Raiden is much less maintenance than Fischl
To me, fischl is only behind zhongli when it comes to low maintenance. You're not alone though ofc barely anyone plays fischl compared to how strong she is.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of Electro characters I'm wondering how Dori's going to be. She's another Electro healer, though her healing and off-field Electro application are on her burst unlike Shinobu having it on her skill. Wondering what her burst cost is and if she might be worth trying out

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I'm curious what artifact set to build Fischl with now, for an aggravate team. I'm working on even getting artifact exp to get Bloomine and her arti's 20, atm I just have Keqing with full 20 so I don't feel that comfortable fielding the team yet. (Also Bloomine is still missing two usable arti's from the dendro shred set.)

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Speaking of dendro artifacts, can anyone beat this beautiful thing?

Perfect troll, thanks game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

every time I see a flat stat roll I die a little inside