Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Captain Invictus posted:

this motherfucker has 9+ defender critters and boatloads of removal, a pseudo-constructed deck

I mean my flooding out for SEVEN STRAIGHT TURNS didn't help but they killed the poo poo out of me with bird tokens

Yeah the smoke on the street is that Wingmantle Chaplain is the mythic uncommon of the set lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

control is always weakest just after rotation before they get all their toys.

always forget this widsom. remember when dimir control with that 5 mana ward dragon was good? lol.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

How do you feel about Haughty Djinn and Serra Paragon?

they might be good for now just like the blue ward dragon was last rotation but i dont think theyre nearly strong enough (compared to like dream trawler and shark typhoon etc). i doubt theyll print anything that strong with hullbreaker still legal but hullbreaker is also low key fuckin bad and also totally unfun to play with

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Panderfringe posted:

The problem is you have to pick those common duals pretty highly or your domain deck won't work. But when you do that you're not picking good cards, so your deck just sucks overall. Like I'm sure some of them are just fine with domain for three, but they're not enough to build a deck out of.
Get this, you play four colors with only good cards your fixing always allows you to play (you picked land over something mediocre), and some of the good cards happen to have Domain. The rest have kicker or one colored mana costs

Captain Invictus posted:

this motherfucker has 9+ defender critters and boatloads of removal, a pseudo-constructed deck
The memes...

quote:

I mean my flooding out for SEVEN STRAIGHT TURNS didn't help but they killed the poo poo out of me with bird tokens
nvm, I can kill the poo poo out of you with almost anything if you flood like that lol

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the defender deck can definitely be real in limited if you get the one that makes birds, yeah. I wanna draft it at least once before people clue in

kater
Nov 16, 2010

walls fuckin rip. walking bulwark top tier. lol its a loving 1 drop.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Ended up going 3-3 with my temur sealed. Fair play. Done another sealed and instantly regretted it. Rares include urza assembles the titans, phasing of zalfir, that black cleric lord, and the black domain sweeper. Oofs upon oofs lol

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Ngl I wanna try Defender Tribal.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

goddamn im getting flattened by five color domain again. how the flying gently caress are these people pulling the entire wheel in tap lands and getting em all out by like turn 5.

oh what the christ.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Went 4-3 in draft. In my final game I had answers for some initial threats, but they just kept dropping bigger and bigger stompers that I couldn’t keep up with. I was never able to keep my own threats on the board because I ended up having to chump too much. Feels bad, but I guess that’s MTG sometimes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

This ended up being the final version of the deck, cut all the white (it wouldn't have really played anyway)

5-3. I guess if i had drafted less garbage, as mentioned, it could have gone further?

It played pretty well regardless. Drake was a fine thing to drop on 3 and pose a threat, helped opponents commit to the board and then Sylex would get them (though I did run into an opp with Steelcrusher who just dealt with it easy lol). Mystic was good for endgame gas. Sprouting Goblin is very good. Outrider felt like filler here. Micromancer is great for getting Flowstone Infusion -- Interference as a face-up trick not so much lol

I have 7.5 drafts left in the hopper, I think I can keep going

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Very early on but it feels like the limited format is very slow - lots of board stalls due to tons of walls and tokens, so evasion is at a premium.

The fixing is out of control, I played a Sultai deck with a white splash and never had any mana issues because I had 5 dual lands. We'll see if aggro is fast enough to take advantage of more Durdley decks.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Lak'tose the intolerant YOHB?

If so that was a great game this morning

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Mike N Eich posted:

Very early on but it feels like the limited format is very slow - lots of board stalls due to tons of walls and tokens, so evasion is at a premium.

The fixing is out of control, I played a Sultai deck with a white splash and never had any mana issues because I had 5 dual lands. We'll see if aggro is fast enough to take advantage of more Durdley decks.

I have a feeling dual lands are going to become very contested

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
The defender deck can definitely get there, which I was not expecting. The defender that makes birds is definitely critical though, to the point I do not think I would go into the deck unless I've picked one up. Walking Bulwark is good too, but not enough to convince me to go into the defender deck the same way

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

the arcades wall tribal brawl deck may have gotten enough gas this set to push into marginally playable

kater
Nov 16, 2010

oh yeah WHY IS MY BEAR NOT ON THAT LIL ISLAND?? GET ON THE ISLAND BEAR.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm pretty sure Jund is a Real Deck in Standard :patriot:

3 x Goldhound
3 x Ascendant Packleader
3 x Infernal Grasp
2 x Phyrexian Vivisector
2 x Tenacious Underdog
2 x Vengeful Strangler
2 x Gala Greeters
3 x Kessig Naturalist
3 x Florian, Voldaran Scion
2 x Lagomos, Hand of Hatred
3 x Ob Nixilis, the Adversary
2 x Sorin the Mirthless
2 x Atsushi, the Blazing Sky
2 x Arlinn, the Pack's Hope
3 x Burn Down the House

1 x Takenuma, Abandoned Mire
1 x Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance
4 x Haunted Ridge
3 x Deathcap Glade
2 x Rockfall Vale
1 x Ziatora's Proving Ground
3 x Swamp
3 x Mountain
5 x Forest

still testing it and figuring out the focus, but it's strong as heck. i think another Gala Greeters could get in there, and maybe there's something to be said for Body Launderer instead of Atsushi, but the Flying is kinda important

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Event #4

https://www.17lands.com/draft/1ee1121c04e24577b1db09ccd58d0e20

I uh... think this is a deck lol? I found it pretty tricky to navigate so I'm sure there's something super obvious I missed. I basically remember the post that said Tatyova was good and since I already had a Llanowar Loamspeaker I thought "hey that works", and that point I started picking up things that were just one pip extra color, and snowballed into "I guess I need full domain for this." I think there should be enough fixing for this to work? The extra RG lands were a waste since I just need it for Rith lol. The other big choice was P3P1 which had Phyrexian Missionary and Liliana of the Veil, Lili had two black pips and the tier lists were rating Missionary higher regardless so I went with the latter

Edit: that basic mountain is now a RG land. 7 plains (8 white sources total) / 1 island (i feel like I need this because Scout the Wilderness only gets basic lands) / 5 forest (8 green sources total)

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 2, 2022

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the defender deck is pretty funny, i highly recommend drafting it at least once

i have won three games! of course, most of those games were won by landing a sheoldred on turn four, but the attacking academy walls helped!

edit: four! and won the latest one entirely by attacking with walls!

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 2, 2022

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I am begging please stop letting my opponents have multiple territorial maros

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Kashuno posted:

I am begging please stop letting my opponents have multiple territorial maros

What's wrong, can't handle a couple 5 mana 10/10s?

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
Any ideas on this sealed pool? I think WBg is the right way to go, but I'm open to suggestions.

https://sealeddeck.tech/nbIRIIVhbb

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

my first premier draft. it can only go down from here

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Lord Banana posted:

Any ideas on this sealed pool? I think WBg is the right way to go, but I'm open to suggestions.

https://sealeddeck.tech/nbIRIIVhbb

Try the MTGA Assistant app. I used the auto suggestions which gives you a straight forward deck with numerical power levels. It was easier than starting with a blank canvas.

I tuned it while playing matches, and found it to be a good way to experience the format. I'm also not worrying too much about initial W/L ratio, everyone's learning at this moment.

As for right now, the power level looks a bit low and you're definitely leaving bombs on the table like Quirion Beastcaller.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

EmotionlessThug posted:

Takeaway: Domain might be good, Tatyova is definitely good

Domain might be good, Tatyova is definitely good

That was exhausting, I kept on having to remind myself "they're the beatdown just stay alive" lol

I emoted "nice" when they used Phyrexian Missionary to get back their Vodalian Mindsinger but then noticed autotapper screwed them out of recasting it, I guess I seemed like an rear end in a top hat in hindsight if they had emotes on lol

I should take a break and pace myself

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the defender deck is real, my friends, and it is spectacular

went 7-2 with this. eerie soultenders and shield-wall sentinels mean you nearly always have access to the walking bulwark. the blight pile acts as a substitute if the bulwark eats exile removal, though it kinda sucks.

the sheoldred is really hard to deal with because it just puts such a clock on people and also is hard to permenently make go away with the soultenders around

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
it's definitely not the best thing you can do in the format but captain's call for 3 1/1s and then immediately bone splinters has been game defining for me so far

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Went 1-3 in my first draft going GB and said you know what, there's nowhere to go from here but up (aside from 0-3)

Well, I rare drafted like a mf and ended up with this

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I passed a Love Song of Night and Day... symmetrical effects scare me and "each draw 2" seems bad?

I guess you could always skip that one

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There's almost never a situation where draw 2 is good aside from you are heavily down in cards and they have a full rear end hand, which is still a bad place to be. Just skip to chapter 2 for the bird and then 2 +1/+1s afterwards. Mostly had it to trigger Baird.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I passed a Love Song of Night and Day... symmetrical effects scare me and "each draw 2" seems bad?

I guess you could always skip that one

yeah you are skipping the first one 99% of the time. 3 mana make a 1/1 flying and put two counters is a fine card I guess

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
8 wins, a bunch of looses and I still didn't finish that quest with a token generating deck I'm playing:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah the smoke on the street is that Wingmantle Chaplain is the mythic uncommon of the set lol

I will happily snap up all the actual good cards in draft while defender tribal is overhyped for these next few days, hahaha

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

kalel posted:

I will happily snap up all the actual good cards in draft while defender tribal is overhyped for these next few days, hahaha

Samesies. I think I saw 2 total defender creatures after pick 1 in my last draft, but got a 4th pick Lightning Strike :wtc:

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

i dont know if its the best but gw has been fun af for me. white has so much removal. also the green 6/6 that puts counters on everything when you play a green card is so stupid

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Just noticed the Squee sleeve and now I can’t wait until I have enough mastery orbs for it.

Goblin avatar when?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'll tell you what they need to do.

Swap the shockland interface back to the way it was.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Living the dream in Rakdos with Garna and Lagomos and a vivisectionist on board at the same time. It didn't take long for every turn scry/draw to just pile up too much value.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Really enjoying Shanna in historic brawl--it's what I always wanted a Chulane deck to be but better AND costs 2MV less

Getting one-two cards a turn off lifegain is nice, when you can swing drawing 4+ a turn while still holding mana up for interaction it just feels devastating

And I got my first-ever Aetherflux Reservoir win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I'm real bad at drafting DMU.