Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/lesbiaudrey/status/1565396979802427392

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

actual cannibal Hammer family

there was a long article about how armand hammer hosed up the whole family and the aunt is the only normal person because she's the one that has a regular job

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

all children of privilege should be forced to work at the home depot cabinet department

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bro Dad posted:

all children of privilege should be forced to work at the home depot cabinet department

jesus dude at least start them out mopping floors or something

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Bro Dad posted:

gently caress that: Highway off-ramp Gas Station night shift.

Gotta add that existential horror to the to grating, soul destroying, customer service role.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/wongrel/status/1565523617630326785?t=UzlEaDXsrxxHgu-bWpIPQQ&s=19

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Benedict Wong seems like a nice guy.

Lolin at the Atwood in its original wrappings though - isn't the point of showing off your ostensible personal library the implication that, like, you've actually read any of it?

Capitalism brain poisoning that buying a book means that you are the book and the book is you

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ginger gonzaga

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Tried the new LOTR last night.

Haven’t read more than the first 10 pages of the Silmarillion so idk how faithful it is or care all that much, but I recognize the names so yup they sure got that IP.

I’ve seen worse shows, this show was enjoyable enough . It is a little confusing knowing who is who and I was already cheating by having subtitles on.

I’d say it has potential and I don’t really see any reason not to continue watching.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

skooma512 posted:

Tried the new LOTR last night.

Haven’t read more than the first 10 pages of the Silmarillion so idk how faithful it is or care all that much, but I recognize the names so yup they sure got that IP.

I’ve seen worse shows, this show was enjoyable enough . It is a little confusing knowing who is who and I was already cheating by having subtitles on.

I’d say it has potential and I don’t really see any reason not to continue watching.

I wanted to like it but … like there’s no point to the show and they dont even have the rights to silmarillion which is why no ungoliant or morgoth destroyed the trees lmao

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

MLSM posted:

I wanted to like it but … like there’s no point to the show and they dont even have the rights to silmarillion which is why no ungoliant or morgoth destroyed the trees lmao

lmao what's the point if there's no giant spider

How Darwinian
Feb 27, 2011

drat horror queefs posted:

Lolin at the Atwood in its original wrappings though - isn't the point of showing off your ostensible personal library the implication that, like, you've actually read any of it?

Capitalism brain poisoning that buying a book means that you are the book and the book is you

It’s a bona-fide piece of printed matter. It fooled me. This lady’s a regular Belasco. It’s a triumph. What thoroughness! What realism! Knew when to stop, too – didn’t cut the pages. But what do you want? What do you expect?’

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I’ve never seen a Nathan Fielder show before (only know him from the meme picture with all his friends out of the frame). I just finished the first episode of the rehearsal and I’m struggling to put it into words. what the gently caress and lmao

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I thought it was very expensive looking.

But I don't really get the point of it, it's just gonna be about the rings being forged? We know what happens to all these guys

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mawarannahr posted:

I’ve never seen a Nathan Fielder show before (only know him from the meme picture with all his friends out of the frame). I just finished the first episode of the rehearsal and I’m struggling to put it into words. what the gently caress and lmao

The Nathan For You finale was incredible. Of course redditors found the contact info of the woman featured in it and caused her a good deal of trouble, but incredible.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Mameluke posted:

not sure which actor you thought i was referring to but https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_Butters

edit: lmao did you think i meant dakota fanning

i heard she's got farts in her head. seems like a pretty big QA issue.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

mawarannahr posted:

The first ep is great and was pre covid

It gets much , much more insane but is more limited in scope than I initially assumed. It's still awesome though and I'm pumped for the next season

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Communist Thoughts posted:

I thought it was very expensive looking.

But I don't really get the point of it, it's just gonna be about the rings being forged? We know what happens to all these guys

There's about 2000 years between Sauron making the One Ring and getting defeated by Isildur. It might be interesting if each season covered a different time period about Sauron's gradual rise to power but then you're going need a few elves to carry the whole story. People will lose interest when Blippo the Dwarf is no longer in the show because the next season jumped 300 years and he'd be dead.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Benedict Wong is usually the best part of whatever production he's in, he's good in dramatic roles but has excellent comic timing too

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

mawarannahr posted:

i watched first episode and to me it just seems like someone with autism and infinite money doesn’t know about therapy

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

sonatinas posted:

i watched first episode and to me it just seems like someone with autism and infinite money doesn’t know about therapy

I think that's the joke, yes

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
the age reset at the playground was the best moment of the rehearsal to me

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

DesertIslandHermit posted:

There's about 2000 years between Sauron making the One Ring and getting defeated by Isildur. It might be interesting if each season covered a different time period about Sauron's gradual rise to power but then you're going need a few elves to carry the whole story. People will lose interest when Blippo the Dwarf is no longer in the show because the next season jumped 300 years and he'd be dead.

then make some new elves, im like "oh this elf politician playing these dwarves to get them to do what he wants is interesting, is he manipulating them, is he gonna become a bad guy?" then i remember nah hes just elrond, hes gonna become an elrond

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
saw the first episode, LotR show rules

but it, GoT II, WoT, a bunch of fantasy/scifi shows have this weird version of find-and-replace "diversity" that I imagine you only ever see in board rooms, writers rooms, or casting offices. besides those places, what actual human diversity will just have one (1) black person in a group of white people. oh, there's a (very light skinned) Indian girl hobbit. there's a black guy on the king's council. what, they don't have no brothers or sisters? cousins? similar-looking friends we ever see? no, it's just them in a group of white people. so odd.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Stevie Lee posted:

the age reset at the playground was the best moment of the rehearsal to me

"planting" fully grown vegetables from the supermarket in the vegetable garden so the batty woman could "harvest" them was truly insane

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

indigi posted:

but it, GoT II, WoT, a bunch of fantasy/scifi shows have this weird version of find-and-replace "diversity" that I imagine you only ever see in board rooms, writers rooms, or casting offices. besides those places, what actual human diversity will just have one (1) black person in a group of white people. oh, there's a (very light skinned) Indian girl hobbit. there's a black guy on the king's council. what, they don't have no brothers or sisters? cousins? similar-looking friends we ever see? no, it's just them in a group of white people. so odd.

The one black guy in Hot D speaks about how his house is ancient, older even than the Targaryens. He is married to a white woman; their daughter is mixed. There are, as far as we can see, no other black people in Westeros. The implication is that House Velaryon has been exclusively importing spouses from overseas for centuries until the current one married a white woman.

Wheel of Time also did this sort of thing where the secluded mountain village where it starts has somehow sustained multiple distinct racial groups, rather than everyone just sort of amalgamating into a single ethnicity over the village's (confirmed in canon) long history, which doesn't really hold up if you actually think about it.

In both cases, of course, the alt-right has obligingly gotten mad at the fact that minorities exist at all in the setting, you can set your watch by that poo poo.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

indigi posted:

Well, yeah I was saying that about Bridgerton. I don’t know if it’s in response to scientific racism or something but it’s a denial that ethnoi are a thing, melenation is the result of proximity to the tropics, etc. Why would one person in a geographically static population have dramatically darker or lighter skin?

It’s uncomfortable because it’s so artificial. I get that in the context of contemporary America, race is uncomfortable too, but the state of racial relations in the US does not tell us about ethnoi, it tells us about capitalism.

For a solid account grounded in the Marxist Tradition (including an opening chapter on Dialectical Materialism), read Ethnogenesis and the Biosphere by Gumilev.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Lol at the book choices.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Benedict Wong was great as Kublai Khan. Just want to say that.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

Well, yeah I was saying that about Bridgerton. I don’t know if it’s in response to scientific racism or something but it’s a denial that ethnoi are a thing, melenation is the result of proximity to the tropics, etc. Why would one person in a geographically static population have dramatically darker or lighter skin?

It’s uncomfortable because it’s so artificial. I get that in the context of contemporary America, race is uncomfortable too, but the state of racial relations in the US does not tell us about ethnoi, it tells us about capitalism.

For a solid account grounded in the Marxist Tradition (including an opening chapter on Dialectical Materialism), read Ethnogenesis and the Biosphere by Gumilev.

America will turn all - past, present, future into an unholy blend of Los Angeles and New york, which by the property of vector addition will cancel out latinos.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tankbuster posted:

America will turn all - past, present, future into an unholy blend of Los Angeles and New york, which by the property of vector addition will cancel out latinos.

Latinos in Westeros actually DO get to form a distinct ethnic group, as the Dornish. They're the only ones though

e: I guess wildlings are all super pale too

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

optimistic near-future sci-fi story where a virus takes out anyone speaking a P-I-E language

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Frosted Flake posted:

its lightskin behavior

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

loquacius posted:

Latinos in Westeros actually DO get to form a distinct ethnic group, as the Dornish. They're the only ones though

e: I guess wildlings are all super pale too

The dornish literally are a much more naturalistically diverse group than most hollywood casting. You have Sandy, stony, and the other one dornish who are a blend of whatever nymeria crossed with her boats from mixed with the native andals/first men.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

I think it's cause it's the same version of diversity many tv writers and most tv producers experience irl and they just don't think about it beyond that. they know they have a [brown, female, gay] colleague, so that's what the hobbit village needs, black hobbit. ok I'm calling it we're done for today everyone great work

Echo Chamber posted:

Benedict Wong was great as Kublai Khan. Just want to say that.

yeah

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

lord of the rings is already a mythic fantasy about a reality where nobles aren't universally scum so idc about how the genetics works tbh

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

StashAugustine posted:

lord of the rings is already a mythic fantasy about a reality where nobles aren't universally scum so idc about how the genetics works tbh

I want to enjoy this fantastical world of magic, ghosts, dragons, wizards, and immortal elves, but... races mixing together? My suspension of disbelief only goes so far!!!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I want to enjoy this fantastical world of magic, ghosts, dragons, wizards, and immortal elves, but... races mixing together? My suspension of disbelief only goes so far!!!

what races are mixing?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

It bugs me too but you can't really discuss it without people thinking you've got common cause with the racists.

In fantasy settings you can just assume genetics doesn't exist since evolution doesn't seem to exist

It bothers me more when they use it to sanitise history while also ignoring all the cool actual stories they could tell or the struggles people had to go through.
It's basically the woke way to dewokify history if that makes sense, both are seemingly ways to just ignore that racism was ever a structural thing rather than just personal prejudices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

indigi posted:

Yeah it's bare minimum diversity effort. And they'd probably turn down having a larger non-white cast out of 'concerns'.