Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

I’ll admit I cheated a little bit by using cloud save backups, but I still landed her within 15 Legendary rolls right after getting Zeke with around 250 luck and no boosters. don’t want to think about those odds

all I have left now are Perun, Dahlia and Newt and I’m not really hurting for their absence

also I did a quick bit of arithmetic and determined that Ursula’s whole affinity quest would clock at 41 hours of constant Merc running, assuming you didn’t trim the timers at all and immediately swapped her into a new mission every ten minutes. but swapping that fast is not possible and she has other concert-based missions too, so let’s say closer to 45 hours. I feel like Monolith fat-fingered something when they were designing this

RNG can be cruel, Perun was literally the first legendary blade I got. Then later I got Boreas, Percival, Electra in new rolls. To be fair, together with Wulfrid (randomly found after a boss fight), Roc (inherited) and Kassandra (dragged out as salvage) I'm already having more legendary blades than I can equip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

As far as video games go, it's not particularly awful, but I want more than mediocrity. I didn't know games could have good voice-acting until I played Disco Elysium. How Brown manages to give each and everyone of the personalities a thoroughly different voice, while remaining inherently the same, still gets me. I remember when Split, that Shyalaman movie came out, the lead, James McAvoy, got credit for pulling off split personalities. I personally thought he did a rather unimpressive job, just exaggerating cliche personalities of each persona. Brown somehow, while keeping pretty much the same register, adds subtleties to his readings to make each voice distinct. Of course, the writing is a big part of it because each personalities has a style of being written too, but it all comes together so perfectly. And every actor just nails it, let alone Brown, in Disco Elysium.

you take that back about McAvoy or i'll stick the heid on you

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

JollyBoyJohn posted:

you take that back about McAvoy or i'll stick the heid on you

Nope, I was not impressed at all by him. I think he's an alright actor otherwise. A close friend of mine is also very annoyed at me about these opinions but she's just biased because she has a massive crush on him.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

They're both good. ITB is a much shorter, more immediate game. Civ 6 is for the long haul.

I mean immediate runs are "short" but the game has tons of content in it and just got a bunch more. It'll keep you busy for ages. Plus it has super heavy '1 more turn' energy that means you can get stuck for a while playing it, especially with the way ending and then starting a new run works.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

To be honest I've had an unopened copy of civ6 for over a year now. Never played a civ game before...are they good for short pick up and play sessions? I love that about into the breach

It's a matter of self-control. I haven't played 6 but was big into 4 and then 5. Civ's big thing is '1 more turn', since you're constantly doing something and promise to stop after seeing that thing done, but since another thing is being done elsewhere, maybe you should wait for that, and so on. If you can limit yourself then yeah, if not, there went a full day.

DC Murderverse posted:

It is not the same as Disco Elysium (because nothing is) but Three Houses and Three Hopes both have some of the best voice acting I’ve heard in a game.

Another reason to get the game. I don't doubt I'll get 3Houses eventually, but I'm incredibly wary of it considering how dissatisfied I was with Awakenings. I've mentioned it before but that game single-handedly killed one of my favorite series for me since it was the way the sequels were then designed. But I really loved FE through Radiant Dawn and everything before, even the remakes of older games. Triangle Strategy has me on a massive tactics kick so it's possible I'll turn here once that incredibly rich game is exhausted.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I'm off SRPGs until Tactics Ogre comes out. DioField maybe when I've done everything in TO.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Nope, I was not impressed at all by him. I think he's an alright actor otherwise. A close friend of mine is also very annoyed at me about these opinions but she's just biased because she has a massive crush on him.

I too have a massive crush on James McAvoy but thats just because he's also scottish, as an actor I wouldn't say I particularly like anything he's done lol

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I mean immediate runs are "short" but the game has tons of content in it and just got a bunch more. It'll keep you busy for ages. Plus it has super heavy '1 more turn' energy that means you can get stuck for a while playing it, especially with the way ending and then starting a new run works.

Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant. ITB is much quicker to get in, play, and get out, but there's also a poo poo load of content there. Civ 6 has a bit more, and is a slower game by design.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I too have a massive crush on James McAvoy but thats just because he's also scottish, as an actor I wouldn't say I particularly like anything he's done lol

Haha, you're good people. I'm glad that that's his MO.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I bought Kirby buffet literally because I was staying at a friend’s who wanted to try it and yeah we were shocked to find out it was 2 player local multiplayer and more than that had to use the online. It feels like a 4 player party game but isn’t. I dunno it’s sorta weird, agreed that it would’ve been a good free game for NSO

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Katana Zero is getting free DLC. Hopefully with a better ending this time around.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Finished DMCry1 and it held up better than I thought. The gameplay and menus are kind of a pain from time to time but overall it was worth the sale price. The voice acting scenes at the end got a huge LAFFO out of me.

Time to YouTube what happens in 2 then purchase 3, yeah?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Waffle! posted:

Katana Zero is getting free DLC. Hopefully with a better ending this time around.

Did you not get the secret ending?

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Rolo posted:

Finished DMCry1 and it held up better than I thought. The gameplay and menus are kind of a pain from time to time but overall it was worth the sale price. The voice acting scenes at the end got a huge LAFFO out of me.

Time to YouTube what happens in 2 then purchase 3, yeah?

Nothing happens in DMC 2.

3 is a prequel and the first one chronologically.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh sweet.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

McCracAttack posted:

Finally finished Astalon: Tears of the Earth. What a great game. Best metroidvania I've played in ages. Why, I liked it so much I think I'd like to have a physical copy. Let me see if it ever got a physical release...

...oh.

What's the game about? Haven't really heard of this one before and I'm definitely intrigued after such high praise.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

American McGay posted:

Did you not get the secret ending?

Apparently not. I'll try again after the DLC comes out.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It requires a really obtuse sequence of choices throughout the entire game, so I don’t blame you. I really liked the game though so I gladly played through it like 4 times finding all the secret stuff.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Mega64 posted:

What's the game about? Haven't really heard of this one before and I'm definitely intrigued after such high praise.

It's a Metroidvania that looks like every other 8-bit inspired game you've ever seen. Watching a YouTube video won't really convey what's good about it.

You play as three separate characters and you switch between them at save points. They're all strong in some ways and weak in others. There are lots of obstacles that only one of them can pass based on their abilities. When you die you get to level up your characters and then try again. There are elevators and teleporters you can unlock as you go so it's pretty painless to get back in there.

A big hook (in my opinion) is the game's stiff challenge. Kind of like the old NES Castlevania games that clearly inspired it. You have to be very deliberate and careful in combat and traversal because you can't take many hits and restoring health is very hard to do. Now that wouldn't be very fun in and of itself but the game is very good about giving you upgrades at just the right time to alleviate the frustrations you've been dealing with so far.

Here's a small example, when you kill an enemy they drop orbs that are the "currency" of the game. You use them to level up your character. But when they drop they scatter like marbles and you have to go pick them up. It's kind of a pain. So when you get the upgrade that auto-collects those orbs it feels great. The bigger upgrades can feel like game changers. You start the game feeling pretty small and vulnerable but by the end you're so powerful that the final boss is basically a victory lap. It's very satisfying.

It also does all the things you want a Metroidvania to do well. Exploration is fun. Finding secrets is fun. It's a fun game. I hope I'm not over-hyping it but it really got its hooks in me and it's a shame it apparently didn't find much of an audience. I only heard about it because folks in here were talking about it and I'm glad they did.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I've been enjoying Mario Odyssey and getting used to the less 'arcadey' momentum controls, but I keep having trouble doing the Side Somersault as compared to 64 and (to my memory) Sunshine. Anyone else experience that or do I just need to git gud?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Magnetic North posted:

I've been enjoying Mario Odyssey and getting used to the less 'arcadey' momentum controls, but I keep having trouble doing the Side Somersault as compared to 64 and (to my memory) Sunshine. Anyone else experience that or do I just need to git gud?

Yeah you can't sidesault on a dime anymore, you need to watch for Mario to show a skidding stop animation before it'll work. Just practice at it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
you can, its a get good problem

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
DMC3 is the best one

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Welp, I'm sold. If I can find the time to tear myself away from Siralum Ultimate (which is coming to the Switch possibly later this year...!) I'll have to give it a go!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Welp, I'm sold. If I can find the time to tear myself away from Siralum Ultimate (which is coming to the Switch possibly later this year...!) I'll have to give it a go!

There's one skill I wish I had figured out sooner. When you hold down the attack button you will attack continuously. The downside is you can't move... but you can jump around. Some characters even keep attacking in the same direction no matter which way you jump. This means you can hop away from advancing enemies while still attacking them. Give it a try.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Has anyone gotten ooblets yet? Looks cute

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

taco show posted:

Has anyone gotten ooblets yet? Looks cute

I'm tempted to. The dev had some attitude that soured me on them some time ago, but it seems like that's not a recurring thing so I may end up grabbing the game. Quite like the art and concept.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
warning. ooblets has the most cringe inducing twee writing ever concieved of by man andn despite my own high levle of resists it still destroyed my ability to play the game within 1 hour.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this one nopon in xbc2 who speaks in a smooth and prim baritone has me giggling like an imbecile

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Oxxidation posted:

this one nopon in xbc2 who speaks in a smooth and prim baritone has me giggling like an imbecile

Niranira?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

that's the one. take away the broken diction and he's basically nibbler from futurama

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Nopon blues singer when

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

they realised what a great idea this was and put a deep voiced nopon in the party for 3

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sudden Javelin posted:

they realised what a great idea this was and put a deep voiced nopon in the party for 3

I really disliked xc2 but I love jrpgs and everything I hear is making me want to get 3 and disappoint myself

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

There only way to be disappointed about 3 is realizing you don't have it already

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
if you liked 1 you should like 3. I was very lukewarm on 2 and love 3

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I loved 1, was really disappointed by 2 and 3 is everything I wanted out of a Xenoblade game and a bunch of stuff I didn't know I wanted.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i tried for literally two years to get into 2 and it finally grabbed me by the throat despite its myriad issues, i haven't marathoned something like this since elden ring

i'm not going to bother with the ng+ content or the really egregious stuff like ursula (or possibly merc tier 5, good lord) but my phenomenal luck with the gacha pretty much sealed the deal on seeing as much of it as i can

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

i tried for literally two years to get into 2 and it finally grabbed me by the throat despite its myriad issues, i haven't marathoned something like this since elden ring

i'm not going to bother with the ng+ content or the really egregious stuff like ursula (or possibly merc tier 5, good lord) but my phenomenal luck with the gacha pretty much sealed the deal on seeing as much of it as i can

Are you going to play 3?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Barreft posted:

Are you going to play 3?

eventually. i've got XB1 definitive on the queue after this, i haven't touched it since the wii version first came out

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'm almost at the end of 1 myself, just before that point which locks out most timed quests. I will probably do whatever quests aren't a pain after that and then go finish it + Future Connected. Hopefully the Expansion Pass for 2 will go on sale by the time I start it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is the new Mario Soccer game any good? In comparison to earlier titles or is it another Tennis/Golf?