Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Douchebag posted:

Hmm cool thanks, all good points. I think we might start with a DIY so Simplisafe I will look into. At minimum wife wants some sort of doorbell camera to start.

We have a few Blink wifi cameras we use to monitor our puppy so we can do an ad-hoc motion sensor setup when we are out with those to start.

Thanks for the rec on talking to a local company. I got my HOH coverage through a local broker and it’s hundreds cheaper than a bigger company with the same coverages, deductibles etc.

Also consider if you want the police to have unlimited access to whatever your doorbell camera sees.... https://www.politico.com/news/2022/07/13/amazon-gave-ring-videos-to-police-without-owners-permission-00045513

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Thanks guys. Stickley is running a 40% off sale for Labor Day and I’ve promised my wife we’d get new bedroom furniture for the past…3 years? There’s a bedroom set she likes and it seems like the quality is decent at least. I’m not sure we have the time or energy to do custom furniture, but I’ll run it by her.

I hope you're able to get it in the back door.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

H110Hawk posted:

I hope you're able to get it in the back door.

Buddy, we have a 6 month old.

With our 529 contributions/taxable savings, if I get it in any door it’s a good night.

:sigh:

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Motronic posted:

Also, do you want to self-install? Something like Simplisafe probably covers that. I have Abode but they seem to be falling apart as a company so I'm not sure it would be a good recommendation.

I had been considering an Abode system, mainly bc of HomeKit compatibility but didn’t realize things were going downhill. What’s the deal with them currently?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

devicenull posted:

Also consider if you want the police to have unlimited access to whatever your doorbell camera sees.... https://www.politico.com/news/2022/07/13/amazon-gave-ring-videos-to-police-without-owners-permission-00045513

Or if that puppy cam is inside your house and streaming to the cloud, if you want the police and creeps watching your private life.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I've been thinking about using 2 different systems, something like simplisafe for a basic alarm and a separate DVR camera system but I can never completely justify the camera system. Do I really want to see the dudes stealing my catalytic converter after the fact because it certainly won't help get it back since the cops won't care.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

H110Hawk posted:

Or if that puppy cam is inside your house and streaming to the cloud, if you want the police and creeps watching your private life.

This is why I went back on my plan to have a kitten cam to watch at work :(

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

devicenull posted:

According to the article, they don't. It says they need a subpoena or an emergency, and there were only 11 instances of emergencies in a year versus tens of millions of ring camera locations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I had been considering an Abode system, mainly bc of HomeKit compatibility but didn’t realize things were going downhill. What’s the deal with them currently?

I hears rumblings of company issues a couple years back and this has coincided with their last new product release that I can recall. So 2 years, no new product of any significance. My gateway (second one - first one died after a year) has also just simply not been able to read the status of things, like a keypad that get recharged still shows offline and/or low battery. Then it lost all my smokes. They still worked, but they weren't listed properly in the interface so you had no idea which one(s) might have low batteries or whatever.

Support is good-ish, with answers that largely seem like them remote rebooting your gateway but other issues result in "you'll have to delete and re-pair the devices".

Overall it's not a great experience for something that should be pretty well sorted by now.

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts
Can someone drop me a link to the smart device thread or wherever security cam info usually is? Not finding it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Rasputin on the Ritz posted:

Can someone drop me a link to the smart device thread or wherever security cam info usually is? Not finding it.

It's in IYG

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963&pagenumber=162#lastpost

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Medullah posted:

Hey all -

I'm at the point where I need to get a generator. I'm thinking of going all in and getting a Generac whole home tied to my natural gas system, but it may be overkill. I really don't know much about them.

I have this cable outside my house, but it doesn't appear to have a transfer switch tied to it, so I'm assuming it's likely just poor design by the previous owner?

What would you guys recommend for a generator in a 1600 square foot single occupant home, need to keep the fridge running along with a desktop, a laptop, 3 monitors along with router/modem.

Quoting myself to give you guys all a big laugh. I talked to the previous owner about the setup that I suspected was against code. "Don't worry, we used our generator all the time and never had any problems. It's quite convenient!"

The highlighted breaker is the "transfer switch" for the cord going outside to the generator. "Just shut off all the breakers, connect the generator and then turn that breaker on and one by one the other breakers you want to use when the power is out!"

No label whatsoever, which at first I thought was just laziness but now I'm wondering if they intentionally didn't label it so the inspector didn't question it. Definitely getting an electrician out now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

He missed the part where you have to turn off the main breaker or your generator will be powered the neighborhood/electrocuting lineman. This is why proper transfer switches are required.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Motronic posted:

He missed the part where you have to turn off the main breaker or your generator will be powered the neighborhood/electrocuting lineman. This is why proper transfer switches are required.

Yeah she mentioned that too but it doesn't matter, I'm not going to use it. Will just use an extension cord to my new generator until I can get a proper setup done.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Why were they frequently needing to run off generator power though

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

brugroffil posted:

Why were they frequently needing to run off generator power though

Well they used it "frequently" when the power went off, poor choice of words.

Rabidbunnylover
Feb 26, 2006
d567c8526b5b0e

Medullah posted:

Well they used it "frequently" when the power went off, poor choice of words.

That no-good utility company kept turning off our power every time we killed one of their employees! We were just helping them out with some bonus electricity. It's a goddamn disgrace!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah if you're gonna wire up the generator "the wrong way" you're obligated to label it in red, and remove it when you leave

And then I think you showed us a male cable connected to a 60 amp breaker? Is that to defend against home invaders home alone style when the generator is not in use

:science:

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!
Our house came wired for a generator and had a decent looking transfer switch installed by the electric panel. The craziness came in when we went to plug in and test our generator. The PO had installed an "inlet" in the garage themselves.

We were new to the concept of a home generator setup at the time so we asked wtf they were doing to hook their generator up. They claimed they "made" their own cable and we were free to do the same or contact an electrician. So I guess they made a male-male suicide cable to make this work... lol.

Obviously, we had this replaced with a proper inlet, ripped out their DIY transfer panel, and installed a proper interlock.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Yeah if you're gonna wire up the generator "the wrong way" you're obligated to label it in red, and remove it when you leave

And then I think you showed us a male cable connected to a 60 amp breaker? Is that to defend against home invaders home alone style when the generator is not in use

:science:

The best part about all of this is how excited the PO was to tell me that the house was "generator ready" when I talked to her.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SmuglyDismissed posted:

We were new to the concept of a home generator setup at the time so we asked wtf they were doing to hook their generator up. They claimed they "made" their own cable and we were free to do the same or contact an electrician. So I guess they made a male-male suicide cable to make this work... lol.

Obviously, we had this replaced with a proper inlet, ripped out their DIY transfer panel, and installed a proper interlock.

Awesome, gotta love "widow-maker" cables. They're totally safe... Until literally anything happens and your heart becomes the fuse breaker on a 60 amp circuit

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!

Hadlock posted:

Awesome, gotta love "widow-maker" cables. They're totally safe... Until literally anything happens and your heart becomes the fuse breaker on a 60 amp circuit

The crazy thing is that it wasn't THAT expensive to get things right. I don't understand why they didn't just buy an inlet box and DIY install that here instead.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
They even sprung for something hard to buy at LowesDepot (at least, I don't think I've ever seen Locking nema outlets there.)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You can install a metal plate that makes it impossible for the generator circuit and the main breaker to both be on at the same time. The plate slides back and forth but only if one is off. This is a kinda lock out none automatic. Not sure if it is still code but it was at some less safe time.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

You can install a metal plate that makes it impossible for the generator circuit and the main breaker to both be on at the same time. The plate slides back and forth but only if one is off. This is a kinda lock out none automatic. Not sure if it is still code but it was at some less safe time.

Yep that's an interlock.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If anyone is curious, this is representative of what should be used in a correct install

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08T9748PY

This one is nice because there's extra space inside the box to wire things

The idea being if you absolutely must have a male, live end, it's firmly attached to the house, and protected by a spring loaded cover, rather than in your hand or in your child's hand when they unplug the cable

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hadlock posted:

If anyone is curious, this is representative of what should be used in a correct install

The idea being if you absolutely must have a male, live end, it's firmly attached to the house, and protected by a spring loaded cover, rather than in your hand or in your child's hand when they unplug the cable

Specifically it should never be energized. If you have an appropriate, mandatory interlock that should never be energized while exposed. You should be able to lick it standing neck deep in salt water and be 100% OK. (do not lick it)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Please stop licking it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Instructions unclear, phone posting from hell

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Home Ownership: Please stop licking it

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

That only works in a subset of panel types. None of which you actually want as the panel in your house. (i.e., most main breaker panels as opposed to main lug panels)

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
A new cheap Diablo forstner bit is leaving a Brad point hole behind. I've never used a forstner before but that seems wrong...

The point is clearly proud of the edges. Is this just a badly designed bit? I only wanted to make one hole damnit!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Well that was a workout. Each stump’s wood chips filled the bed of my truck up. Two trips down and I think I’m done for the day.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jenkl posted:

A new cheap Diablo forstner bit is leaving a Brad point hole behind. I've never used a forstner before but that seems wrong...

The point is clearly proud of the edges. Is this just a badly designed bit? I only wanted to make one hole damnit!
That's how forstner bits work. The point keeps the bit from jumping around.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

time to learn how to appeal a property tax assessment increase thanks to a fun bill with a proposed 51% increase... and objectively incorrect information about the house (number of bedrooms, etc.)

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Upgrade posted:

time to learn how to appeal a property tax assessment increase thanks to a fun bill with a proposed 51% increase... and objectively incorrect information about the house (number of bedrooms, etc.)

Well the good news is that with such incorrect data, it should be an easy argument for you to win.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

SpartanIvy posted:

Well the good news is that with such incorrect data, it should be an easy argument for you to win.

My cities assessment office is notoriously what’s the word… horrible. Also land increases are not appealable.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That's how forstner bits work. The point keeps the bit from jumping around.

You know I knew it had a point but figured it was flush, though thinking that through now... I'll show myself out.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Maybe a dumb question but something I started thinking about after our county tax accessor/property tax website went down and now they can't find any records for our address. Are we, as homeowners supposed to have something like a physical hard copy of the house deed/title in hand and locked away in our safe like we would with a car? Or is all that just tracked and managed at the county?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PageMaster posted:

Maybe a dumb question but something I started thinking about after our county tax accessor/property tax website went down and now they can't find any records for our address. Are we, as homeowners supposed to have something like a physical hard copy of the house deed/title in hand and locked away in our safe like we would with a car? Or is all that just tracked and managed at the county?

You should have gotten a copy of it when your title company ok'd the mortgage. It's not really a physical document, you'd just be getting a copy of it anyway.

If you can't find it, maybe call up whoever your mortgage is with?