Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

I’m so pumped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Came to post this and glad to have been beaten.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
The comparison after the new mix had me laughing out loud and going woooooooooooooooooo. I root for Pat Finnerty like other people go nuts for sports teams.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

The comparison after the new mix had me laughing out loud and going woooooooooooooooooo. I root for Pat Finnerty like other people go nuts for sports teams.

I mean his dedication to a joke is uncanny.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
New single!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-9fyRnczzo

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

make sure to like and comment and whatnot

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
which one of you made the post about Tarik

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Not to encourage GAS, but this is a sensational deal if anyone is looking

https://www.fender.com/en-US/squier-electric-guitars/stratocaster/classic-vibe-50s-stratocaster/0374005500.html

gregday
May 23, 2003

GAS got me. I just bought a 63 SG Custom in Classic White (2021 issue) with the gold hardware and tailpiece & vibrola. I had been eyeing a red SG for awhile but then got interested in picking up a white Les Paul and decided to satisfy both cravings in one purchase since I already have a LP Classic.

Should arrive in a few days.

Seller photo:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

gregday posted:

GAS got me. I just bought a 63 SG Custom in Classic White (2021 issue) with the gold hardware and tailpiece & vibrola. I had been eyeing a red SG for awhile but then got interested in picking up a white Les Paul and decided to satisfy both cravings in one purchase since I already have a LP Classic.

Should arrive in a few days.

Seller photo:

:captainpop: So good!

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Hell yes, that’s almost a Sister Rosetta SG.

edit: Proaudiostar has a couple nice things for cheap.

Squire CV 60’s strat candy apple red $280
https://www.proaudiostar.com/squier-classic-vibe-60s-stratocaster-candy-apple-red-w-laurel-fingerboard.html

CV 50’s Butterscotch Tele $280
https://www.proaudiostar.com/squier-classic-vibe-50s-telecaster-butterscotch-blonde-w-maple-fingerboard.html

duodenum fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 1, 2022

DangerousSmells
Jan 3, 2021

curried lamb of God posted:

Not to encourage GAS, but this is a sensational deal if anyone is looking

They’ve got some awesome deals going right now. I ordered a CV Jazz Bass for $240.

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

duodenum posted:

Hell yes, that’s almost a Sister Rosetta SG.

edit: Proaudiostar has a couple nice things for cheap.

Squire CV 60’s strat candy apple red $280
https://www.proaudiostar.com/squier-classic-vibe-60s-stratocaster-candy-apple-red-w-laurel-fingerboard.html

CV 50’s Butterscotch Tele $280
https://www.proaudiostar.com/squier-classic-vibe-50s-telecaster-butterscotch-blonde-w-maple-fingerboard.html

I grabbed a Squier Telecaster Deluxe from them a week ago on Friday for $270 with free shipping. It was on my porch Sunday afternoon. It came in what looks the manufacturers packaging it seems like brand new though it was listed and priced as used.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I got my Super Sonic from them. It was new but w/ free shipping and their auto 15% off just for adding to the cart it was cheaper than any of the used ones in that color (sparkle blue/white pearloid; essential imo)

I also bought a Dave Smith Mopho a long time ago when I got off the wrong subway stop and realized there was a kinda kickin music store right there (2013 maybe?). It's definitely a warehouse centric operation, like they were surprised to get a walk in, but no complaints there either

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I finally got somebody interested in my Ibanez with the Kaoss pad and traded them for a more regular RG with a whammy bar that someone upgraded with Seymour Duncans and a D-Tuna. Neat!

How much is a Floyd Rose style tremolo going to make me hate myself? As it came to me one of the strings is snapped at the headstock but still held in place with the locking nut, and I think it came with .10s and I'd like to replace them with 9s. I know everybody says to replace the strings one at a time, but after that is it just a matter of eyeballing the bridge level and adjusting the springs in the back until it's right?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Changing string gauges on a Floyd Rose is a special kind of pain in the rear end that takes a while to do right and you're going to learn a lot if you can manage it. Once they're set up properly they're awesome, though. Getting the tension right is part of the challenge, getting the strings stretched and in-tune is another part. I do wish you success.

Also I want one of those weird Kaoss Pad guitars you traded for that one, there's one in a local shop for like $550 and I have to admit I've thought about it. Pretty cool fuzzy distortion built into it too, right?

Agreed fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 2, 2022

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Stalizard posted:

I finally got somebody interested in my Ibanez with the Kaoss pad and traded them for a more regular RG with a whammy bar that someone upgraded with Seymour Duncans and a D-Tuna. Neat!

How much is a Floyd Rose style tremolo going to make me hate myself? As it came to me one of the strings is snapped at the headstock but still held in place with the locking nut, and I think it came with .10s and I'd like to replace them with 9s. I know everybody says to replace the strings one at a time, but after that is it just a matter of eyeballing the bridge level and adjusting the springs in the back until it's right?

Floyds only suck in the sense that you have to dedicate more time to string changes and set ups. It's not hard at all if you're willing to put a little time in to learn. No more time than guitarists spend screwing around with any of their other crap though. Restringing and setting up a Floyd guitar is a zen feeling process for me these days. You don't need to change strings 1 at a time, that would only work if you keep the same gauge and tuning anyway. Plus you might want to clean your fretboard or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJIXFFFxf_g

Let me see if I can type out a quick reference guide if it makes it easier.

1. Find an item to jam somewhere under your Floyd Bridge that will keep it from falling into the guitar, and will keep the unit level with the top of the guitar. I stack credit cards and put them under the back of it on the front of the guitar. You can add or subtract until you get the right amount so it sits at the right level. Tighten the claw on the back so you have some extra pressure pulling the bridge into your card stack or whatever.

2. Loosen your nuts, take strings out. The bridge should still be sitting against your card stack. If you want to temporarily add more cards or use something that will jack the bridge up higher that might make it easier to get to the bolts that hold the strings into the saddles.

3. Restring it. You can feed the strings in backward through the tuning peg if you want. It doesn't matter. Make sure you put your string as far into the saddle as it goes after trimming the excess length, and lock the saddle down so it gets a good bite. Don't use crazy excessive force when tightening the bolts back.

4. Make sure you have your bridge level again with whatever object you are using to block it. Make sure there' s a bit of extra tension in your claw in the back of the guitar so it's pulling the bridge into your blocker, that way when you are tuning and faffing about you don't accidentally pull the bridge up and have your card stack fall out. You can start tuning your guitar. Make sure to stretch the strings and retune it a few times. You don't want to have to deal with strings stretching once everything is locked back down. Also make sure your fine tuners are somewhere in "middle settings" so you can adjust in either direction. A lot of guitars thick strings go a bit sharp when you lock the nut back down, so sometimes I purposely leave the 3 thicker strings a little bit flat on purpose before I lock the nuts back

5. Lock your nut back down once you have it tuned. Make a note of what your bottom and top string are tuned to, whether you get it dead on, or if it's a little flat. Pull out your cards/blocker. The bridge will go out of whack and your tuning will be out of whack but this is okay. You just need to slowly loosen your claw until your bridge raises back up back to level. Recheck your tuning, because you are aiming to get back to where you were when you had it blocked. Once you get it pretty close, you can adjust with your fine tuners, and you are basically done and you'll be in tune and your bridge will be sitting level with the body.

Once you do it a couple of times, you'll pretty much immediately understand what's going on with everything. I have like 4 or 5 locking trem guitars and I don't even do much whammy bar stuff, I just like the tuning stability and how the bridge feels on my hand.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 2, 2022

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Speaking of setups I’m planning on changing my strings this weekend for the first time in like 15 years. It’s just a Tele so pretty straightforward.

However, I’m going from 9-42 to 9-46. Will that mean I need to reintonate or gently caress with the truss rod?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

For that small of a change I reckon you'll be fine.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The intonation will be off only slightly and you probably won't have to gently caress with the truss rod. Unless you're planning on recording a major studio album right after you probably won't have to make any changes.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Agreed posted:

Also I want one of those weird Kaoss Pad guitars you traded for that one, there's one in a local shop for like $550 and I have to admit I've thought about it. Pretty cool fuzzy distortion built into it too, right?

Everything about that guitar was awesome on paper but didn't work for me irl. It definitely has a built in distortion circuit but it's really kinda puny and lovely sounding. Might be better out of the built-in headphone amp, but I never really needed that. Compared to the distortion on my Orange crush 35rt, as well as a rat pedal, a green Russian muff and just a regular tube screamer it sounded kinda tinny and lovely.

The kaoss pad itself got a lot easier to use once i figured out the hold button, but that only worked for a fraction of the effects and then you have to figure out how to pick and also finger the pad and that really limited what I was able to do. Plus, you gotta have a 9 volt in the guitar and two AAAs in the kaoss pad and those AAAs only last for a couple of hours.

I paid $100 for the guitar and $200 for the kaoss pad so I'm happy to have played with it and then traded it for a more regular equivalent. My advice: ask the shop if you can dick around with it, spend 5 minutes flipping thru the effects and get on with your life a sadder, wiser person.

Stalizard fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 2, 2022

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
also thanks everybody for the Floyd Rose advice!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Agreed posted:

For that small of a change I reckon you'll be fine.

muike posted:

The intonation will be off only slightly and you probably won't have to gently caress with the truss rod. Unless you're planning on recording a major studio album right after you probably won't have to make any changes.

Ah nice! Thanks.

I’m return I will offer a tip for Helix users: add a looper to the front of your chain. You can set it to loop something while you change everything else in the chain in real time. Awesome way to dial in amps and play around with pedals.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

re: what makes this song stink and the Make Believe discussion last thread, and my beating up on rick rubin:

someone claimed that rick rubin was not to blame for make believe sucking rear end, and it was rivers cuomo.

turns out, rick rubin, before any of the make believe material had been written, told rivers specifically to write "sincere songs with no irony". the irony/cynicism was one of the things that always made the overt emotions of blue and pinkerton interesting. so yes it's very possible rick rubin is to blame for all the lyrics on that album being basically written in MLA formatting

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
It's crazy that Rick Rubin ruined Make Believe and then ten more Weezer records in a row. What a dick.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

darkwasthenight posted:

It's crazy that Rick Rubin ruined Make Believe and then ten more Weezer records in a row. What a dick.

lmao

Got some stuff over the last couple weeks:

Been wanting a tele for ages and finally snagged one that I liked. This is the Highway 1 model with the nitro finish, basically the "cheap" USA made model they did for a few years. I know it doesn't really matter but I figured that if I got a Fender, I wanted it to be a USA Fender. I think this is a 2006? Sounds and plays great.

I have an old AxeFX Ultra rack unit that I've been using forever but have been thinking about upgrading for a while. This showed up on craigslist the other day for $750 and I couldn't pass it up. I haven't had a lot of time with it yet but the first thing I noticed is that Fractal in no way bothered to streamline their UI, loving lol. It took me nearly 45 minutes to figure out how to get the headphone jack to output. Once I did though, it sounds insanely good. The amp models are unbelievable. I haven't even tried to put together a patch yet, just playing through presets and some models the previous owner created. So far my initial comparison to the HX Stomp is that the Fractal stuff sounds better but the Stomp is roughly a billion times more user friendly. I'm pretty sure you can do tons more with the FM3 than you can with the Stomp but there's definitely a learning curve to make the most out of it. Also the Stomp automatically sets up as an interface as soon as I plug it into my computer, the FM3 does not and might have to go through a DAW? Not sure yet. Again, not super user friendly but it is a more "pro" level of gear I suppose and I'm a dumbass amatuer, so...RTFM I guess!

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

landgrabber posted:

re: what makes this song stink and the Make Believe discussion last thread, and my beating up on rick rubin:

someone claimed that rick rubin was not to blame for make believe sucking rear end, and it was rivers cuomo.

turns out, rick rubin, before any of the make believe material had been written, told rivers specifically to write "sincere songs with no irony". the irony/cynicism was one of the things that always made the overt emotions of blue and pinkerton interesting. so yes it's very possible rick rubin is to blame for all the lyrics on that album being basically written in MLA formatting

Why couldn't Rivers just say no?

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

he could have wrote good sogns instead of bad ones, imo

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

darkwasthenight posted:

And one or two before that one too!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Rick Rubin got in a time machine and went back to 1975 and stole all of Rivers Cuomo’s mojo when he was a child Dr Evil-style and that is why Weezer exist today in the form that they do

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
which is to say that there are many alternate timelines in which Weezer was a good band that made good music

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Yeah. I wanna justpost about this topic too, please.

My whole modeler journey started with the FM3 last July (2021). I had tried to get into an HX Stomp but didn't like the amp sounds. The FM3 showed up and I reacted the same way to it as you, like goosebumps on the first note. So I flipped it and I built a studio around the MkII Turbo. I dragged that out of the house to rehearse and to play a gig. And it got scratched on the face, dammit.

Now I'm in a new band startup and I bought an FM3 plus a spare FC-6 to take to rehearsal and to gigs (it came with the FM3 I wanted). I want to leave the Turbo in the studio, so this works out. I've copied my acoustic IR over to the unit and have all the sounds I need for Sunday and I am really happy. But also I had that PedalTrain PRo board I mentioned previously. I loaded it down with pedals and learned it got too heavy. Duh. But with an FM3, and FC-6, a couple Mosky dual switches, three Moog expression pedals, and a Line 6 G30 wireless system, everything I need for a gig fits into one bag that weighs less than it did with actual foot-pedals on it.

Pics. This is good poo poo and I am very fortunate. Happy Friday!

The old Surface is fine running FM3 Edit, and I have had that wireless for years and never needed it:

And this thing. Good Lord. Still not 100% on the Mo' Joe pickup yet.

Time to go practice! Meeting a singer and a keyboardist/guitarist/singer tomorrow with the band. *So* glad I am not taking that 5-space rack back out.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Dr. Faustus posted:

Time to go practice! Meeting a singer and a keyboardist/guitarist/singer tomorrow with the band. *So* glad I am not taking that 5-space rack back out.

I can never get over having the fret markers on the side like that instead of centered.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i will say it yet again:

people make fun of me for liking weezer, and then all the things they point out in my music as poo poo they like, is stuff that's really weezer influenced.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
It has nothing to do with Weezer and 100% to do with making you post that, lg.

Wish you were in town but I shouldn't be distracting myself, I'm supposed to be in the woodshed rn.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
teacher has me learning SONGS instead of obsessing over parts or riffs or pieces of things as I always have.

pretty cool! working through my teenage era with grungy stuff' did pearl jams dissidents and started interstate love song.

I like guitar it is fun and cool 😎

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010
Rivers' crimes may not be as great as those of his brothers Andrew and Chris - but I still cannot find it within myself to forgive him.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Yeah, I don't like Rubin but I REALLY like bagging on Weezer.

Speaking of, work sent PFinnerty a bunch of merch and I addressed it to the "Official Weezer Fanclub c/o Pat" because I could. Stay tuned to see if he wears any of it.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
New guitar day

Hondo-branded made in Japan copy of a G&L F-100. Only one pickup working and signs of fuckery in the controls. Should be master volume, two tones(bass and treble), and phase and coil tap switches if they followed the G&L setup. What a rast nest to sort through, if I don't give up and pay someone else to figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

darkwasthenight posted:

Yeah, I don't like Rubin but I REALLY like bagging on Weezer.

Speaking of, work sent PFinnerty a bunch of merch and I addressed it to the "Official Weezer Fanclub c/o Pat" because I could. Stay tuned to see if he wears any of it.

where do you work?