Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

My sister is trying to move to our city and the rental market is bullshit but there was a lovely condo for sale near us so…my fiancée and I paused our wedding planning for a week to buy it.

It’s right on the subway and the building is in good shape so yolo.

the wording is confusing, so you're saying your sister couldn't find a rental property so you just went and... bought a condo ?

i assume to then rent to her, but still you're just like 'hmm today I think I'll buy this condo for the fun of it, and then maybe get some groceries'

i mean drat i wish I had that kind of play money just burning a hole in my pocket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I took it that Subjunctive had :20bux: saved up while planning a wedding with their fiancé but used the money instead to buy a place for their sister.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

My sister is trying to move to our city and the rental market is bullshit but there was a lovely condo for sale near us so…my fiancée and I paused our wedding planning for a week to buy it.

It’s right on the subway and the building is in good shape so yolo.
Ughhh that looks so nice. Makes my place with a balcony that’s 2 blocks away from the subway look like trash.

Josh Lyman has a new favorite as of 09:41 on Aug 25, 2022

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Coredump posted:

What car op?

2007 BMW E91 320d with 150,000 miles on it.

They salt the roads here, and for some reason BMW used a steel subframe on these cars, so the suspension arm mounting points are disintegrating.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Treat the parts with underseal before putting the new one back. Ideally first you put sometihng like Dinitrol ML over everything (oil based, thin and penetrating, stops mild rust), then a thicker layer of underseal once it's had a few days to dry.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Blue On Blue posted:

the wording is confusing, so you're saying your sister couldn't find a rental property so you just went and... bought a condo ?

Yeah, basically. I got a raise recently so we can afford the mortgage payments, and she’s going to pay the condo fees + property taxes. Very fortunate to be able to help her out this way!

rekko posted:

That's really nice! Is it Singapore? It looks like Singapore 🤔 I don't know why.

Toronto!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bought some music recordings:

e: I just realized I sold my record players last year.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 14:54 on Aug 25, 2022

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Trabant posted:

Join us in the Watches thread so we can praise/mock you!

(it's actually the best place on the Internet for watch morons)

Ah, yeah will do. I always forget all the other places that exist here

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Finally upgraded my soldering station! :woop:

Having the temperature probe integrated into the tip is such an immediate quality of life upgrade from my last iron. The immediate feedback means that it dumps more heat from the finer tips, which is awesome for precision work as well as heating up larger components. Plus the iron comes up to temp in seconds, then goes to sleep when I pop it back into the cradle. The station even has a built in quick tip changer... I'm seriously in love with this thing, I can't believe I didn't upgrade sooner!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Planet of the Vapes had a deal on the new budget Dynavap, for $40 I get this, a torch lighter, a stash container, and a $5 gift card. Pretty decent deal, lets see if it can top my Pax for my favorite buttplug vape.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I was gonna say there OP, you’re going to want to mod a flared base on that bad boy. Godspeed with your cloud boofing.

A MINIATURE LLAMA
Jul 30, 2009

IT'S SO TINY

No pic, still in progress, but $300+ in wood and materials to rebuild a front porch because the previous homeowners rigged something together that - surprise - completely failed after a few years.

I'm told it will be a satisfying feeling when it's done but right now it's just a lot of frustration.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Please tell me it lights up.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Android Apocalypse posted:

Please tell me it lights up.

I -think- i might be able to find a light kit for it, but it does not light up out of the box.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
N

Waste of Breath has a new favorite as of 04:56 on Sep 23, 2022

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

evobatman posted:

2007 BMW E91 320d with 150,000 miles on it.

They salt the roads here, and for some reason BMW used a steel subframe on these cars, so the suspension arm mounting points are disintegrating.

Ah. The car nerd in me had to know. Does por15 help against that?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Coredump posted:

Ah. The car nerd in me had to know. Does por15 help against that?

Not sure, but got a call from the workshop literally less than one minute ago. The subframe I got was from a 316i, so all the ancillary hardware had to be moved over from the old frame, and it's gonna cost more in labor than if I had just gotten a brand new empty subframe. Gonna drive it straight from the workshop to an antirust place when I get it back, to protect my investment. I have a lovely parkingspot that I don't want to put a new car in, so I need this car to run for two and half more years, which is when we plan to get a house

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I've seen this POR-15 not really sure what to make of it, seems to form a kind of hard surface like a type of paint? Not what I am used to. But certainly better than no rust protection in salt country.

On my car I use Dinitrol ML first, a thin penetrating oil based rust protection with rust stopping properties, also use this in all cavities yearly. Then I spray a bitumen and/or oil based mass that leaves a tough but flexible layer over everything, this thing eventually becomes dirt colored because it's kinda sticky. It does not create a hard layer but more like a sort of sticky layer, it will eventually wear of too and needs redoing ideally every 2-4 years. And the thin oil stuff into cavities every year too.

I have some really thick stuff too that I need a spatula to apply. Good for spot repairs and where you want a lot of protection.

There's a lot of stuff out there...

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I bought frozen dumplings.
Not a condo for someone else but still pretty good.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

I bought frozen dumplings.
Not a condo for someone else but still pretty good.
Little frozen meatball condos

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

mystes posted:

Little frozen meatball condos

They have a great view (my mouth, for all you vore enthusiasts)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
After 10 months of trying I finally got a Roland SP404-MKII to actually ship towards me.

Gonna press all the buttons and make some lame-o beats to play my other stuff on top of.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Some extra firewood for the winter, 2m3 of it in addition to the 5-6 I already got.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Since the last time I posted

80s Epiphone Strat copy

early 80s Hondo LP copy, ash body and maple neck/fretboard

Firefly Jazzmaster copy

Early 80s Hondo-branded, made in Japan G&L F-100 copy that needs a full rewiring

And this painting that I both adore and am incredibly creeped out by

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
She’ll chill back out once Mario puts that key back where he found it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Seriouspost: I think owning that painting makes you cool.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Congrats, enjoy your new ghost that is clearly haunting that painting

rekko
Jul 24, 2022

〜✧・♡・★〜🌟💗・♥・💗🌟〜★・♡・✧〜
❗スゴイ❗
I'm not super picky about where I get naked, but I wouldn't get naked in front of that painting, I think.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

widefault posted:

And this painting that I both adore and am incredibly creeped out by

Painters tape some leds to the back of the canvas behind the eyeballs so they faintly glow at night :devil:

Speaking of paintings, I just recently bought one too! A practice sketch from Dave Ruins Art--he takes old unloved paintings and turns them into modern masterpieces:

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
I bought yet another very weird looking gun part.

https://www.polygonbikes.com/siskiu-d7/

Lookin to enter my late 30's with full body paralysis.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
Along those lines, I got this last week:

Litespeed Watia titanium gravel bike.

About 5 years ago, I sold everything off except a fixie (which I love immensely), and being able to shift gears and such has been a delight!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I really like the idea of the GoXLR, I have always wanted to own something with motorized sliders. However I use a Wireless headset and a 5.1 surround system, both devices that are not really supported. Is there something similar to the GoXLR (a buch of physical sliders) that allow to just adjust the digital channel volumes? I know whatever might exist won't have motorized sliders (Q.Q), but I could still really use something like that.

rekko
Jul 24, 2022

〜✧・♡・★〜🌟💗・♥・💗🌟〜★・♡・✧〜
❗スゴイ❗
I bought a car!

But it's going to take like a year to get lol

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The new Corolla GR?!

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, basically. I got a raise recently so we can afford the mortgage payments, and she’s going to pay the condo fees + property taxes. Very fortunate to be able to help her out this way!

Toronto!

It's me....your long lost brother!

100Catbirds
Jul 16, 2019

Phthisis posted:

Along those lines, I got this last week:

Litespeed Watia titanium gravel bike.

About 5 years ago, I sold everything off except a fixie (which I love immensely), and being able to shift gears and such has been a delight!

Love. I should get mine in about 3 weeks. I didn't get the fancy electronic shifter and whatnot, just the base model. Cant wait to ride mine.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Some purple phone and 2 white things to put in my ears.

iPhone will get here next week, the AirPods Pro the week after

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Purple phone and yellow watch.

Going from gen 3 to 8 on the watch so yay a noticeable upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I bought my first self-propelled mower (and it's battery instead of gas) and I'm in heaven.

No longer do I have to break my back to have an okay lawn. (Lawn will be removed over the next five years, hopefully)