Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Been playing https://store.steampowered.com/app/1682060/Warriors_of_the_Nile_2/ after picking it up on a whim. I didn't play the first one, but I can confirm that the sequel is very fun and solid strategy roguelike with your standard slay the spire route choice format. There's a fair bit of party variance - your party is always a warior, rogue, and mage, but there's 3 very different variants of each for a lot of combinations - and there's a whole lot of wild build options that come together as a run goes on. Basically any character can get some crazy explosive synergies going, it's fun.

As a warning, there's a modest amount of power-increasing metaprogression, but I don't believe it's necessary at all to get wins on the default difficulty. There's also simply not that much of it. I have about 15 hours in the game and I'm basically done with all of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Immortal Redneck, a roguelike shooter that I'm pretty sure has been mentioned here, is free on GOG for a couple days.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

doctorfrog posted:

Immortal Redneck, a roguelike shooter that I'm pretty sure has been mentioned here, is free on GOG for a couple days.

It has probably the worst title and might be surpassed by Gunfire Reborn which offers coop, but it's definitely worth a few hours for free.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

neato burrito posted:

ADOM is half off.... Hmmm. Is it time? We shall see.

ADOM is great! It's not fun or good but it's really neat to check out! I would not play it as a roguelike but it's worth having the experience.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
I can see Ring of Pain not clicking with people but god drat it scratches a ton of itches I have. I got my first win early and am getting fairly consistent wins and enjoying the difficulty options and variations that open up after each win.

Sometimes a run Just loving Dies to a coin flip, but I'm finding that once you have an idea about how to build things and how to engage with what enemies spawn at what stages of progress that kind of loss becomes very, very rare. Most of my deaths are because I'm not paying attention, but jumping back in to another run with one click means that I usually don't care about the loss at all.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kanos posted:

Been playing https://store.steampowered.com/app/1682060/Warriors_of_the_Nile_2/ after picking it up on a whim. I didn't play the first one, but I can confirm that the sequel is very fun and solid strategy roguelike with your standard slay the spire route choice format. There's a fair bit of party variance - your party is always a warior, rogue, and mage, but there's 3 very different variants of each for a lot of combinations - and there's a whole lot of wild build options that come together as a run goes on. Basically any character can get some crazy explosive synergies going, it's fun.

As a warning, there's a modest amount of power-increasing metaprogression, but I don't believe it's necessary at all to get wins on the default difficulty. There's also simply not that much of it. I have about 15 hours in the game and I'm basically done with all of it.

It's extremely satisfying to get a build going where a unit can start deleting entire fields like it was nothing or dropping bosses in two or three turns but yeah, at the moment it's a pretty small game with just two end-run bosses.

I've also only put a bit of time in but I'm in the same boat. If I kept going I probably would have a mountain of unspendable metacurrency.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pladdicus posted:

ADOM is great! It's not fun or good but it's really neat to check out! I would not play it as a roguelike but it's worth having the experience.

ADOM has aged, but it is still the best iteration of the "you will have read the guides" old school roguelike. It's got a better game length than TOME, it's not as randomly unfair as Nethack can be, and is more accessible than either. You can effectively set a difficulty level both by using challenge classes and by aiming for special endings. I've been playing it since the late 90s/early 2000s and still come back to it now and again usually around Creators Day so I can cheese a bit by creating a dozen characters with Lucky and Fate Smiles.

I have also played the Power Chord demo and thought it was fun. I probably prefer Indies' Lies or Arcanium as a team-based roguelike deckbuilder, though.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

honestly it's my favorite old style roguelike in the vein of nethack/angband and was my first roguelike and i have a lot of sincere love for all its weird stuff

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Thirsty Dog posted:

Darkest Dungeon would be THE "have a party of dudes on the left side of the screen on a 2D plane fighting enemies on the right side of the screen with turn based combat" game I guess

It's DD combat if placement within the party matters, otherwise it's StS with more dudes

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Pladdicus posted:

honestly it's my favorite old style roguelike in the vein of nethack/angband and was my first roguelike and i have a lot of sincere love for all its weird stuff

Your First Roguelike is special. I didn’t start with ADOM and I bear it little affection but I still remember first trying some version of Zangband and it owned.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Mzbundifund posted:

Your First Roguelike is special. I didn’t start with ADOM and I bear it little affection but I still remember first trying some version of Zangband and it owned.

Dungeons of Dredmore is dumb as hell, but it was the first RL that I beat fair and square; so it still gets warm fuzzies in my heart.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

First RL I beat was DCSS and very little of that original game remains now.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Thirsty Dog posted:

Darkest Dungeon would be THE "have a party of dudes on the left side of the screen on a 2D plane fighting enemies on the right side of the screen with turn based combat" game I guess

a reverse jrpg, or a gprj

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

moonmazed posted:

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

moonmazed posted:

Game's Pretty Roguelike, Ja

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

neato burrito posted:

Dungeons of Dredmore is dumb as hell, but it was the first RL that I beat fair and square; so it still gets warm fuzzies in my heart.

Same here. That game singlehandedly introduced me to roguelikes and I've been hooked ever since. They owe me hundreds of lost hours.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Path of Achra continues to Judiciously QoL it up and in general:

https://ulfsire.itch.io/path-of-achra/devlog/423167/version-013-summoners-boon

Even the way the changelogs are worded vaguely reminds me of the better parts of the spirits of DCSS and ToME.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Black August posted:

It’s never time

Buy it and never play it (unless it gets mod support)

I bought it and refunded it after two hours. I feel bad (this is the first game I've ever refunded), I'm just not cut out to play this type of game any more. I've become a filthy casual in my old age :shrug:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

I would like to strongly recommend this. This is probably the FPS roguelike I've enjoyed and spent the most time playing:

Now, admittedly, this is less because this is THE BEST GAME EVER and more due to the fact that the FPS roguelikes haven't really had the Killer App yet, they're all kinda janky, so this is the most decent one out of that crop. It's pretty Serious Sam in its gameplay and it has a meta-progression system, so you do get stronger between the runs.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I found both Gunfire Reborn and Roboquest to do everything Immortal Redneck was trying to do but both doing it enormously more successfully.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, i enjoyed immortal redneck for a little bit but gunfire reborn kind of 100% blows it out of the water

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Gunfire Reborn is pretty good.
I'd play more of it if they let me skip the absolutely got awful metaprogression system, but no they needed a server-side anti-cheat system for some loving reason.

KNR
May 3, 2009
I think redneck is vastly more competent than gunfire at being an FPS, and vastly less competent at being a roguelike, but gunfire isn't great there either. In general, this;

Megazver posted:

Now, admittedly, this is less because this is THE BEST GAME EVER and more due to the fact that the FPS roguelikes haven't really had the Killer App yet, they're all kinda janky,

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How was Ziggurat 2 btw?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

How was Ziggurat 2 btw?

I played it like two or three times and haven't gone back so...

I like the idea of it!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it had an absolute fuckton of metaprogression last time i looked at it.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Jack Trades posted:

Gunfire Reborn is pretty good.
I'd play more of it if they let me skip the absolutely got awful metaprogression system, but no they needed a server-side anti-cheat system for some loving reason.

Just bite the bullet and play through it, once you can start clear to the end of world 3 regularly on Elite solo you can progress through the talent tree at a good clip. Hell, so long as you clear Nightmare you can just farm it out on Reincarnation 1.

The core of the game is actually fun and the metaprog just eases the floor up imo. Don't let your raging hate of metaprog stop you from playing a great game.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gunfire's metaprog honestly wore me out because I wanted to start doing the cool ascension runs but I did not care about filling out the entire goddamned tree. The game is fun but the metaprog is a legitimate strike against it for me. You could halve the total amount of currency to finish everything out and it would still feel like too much.

(Immortal Redneck's metaprog was actually worse.)

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Jack Trades posted:

How was Ziggurat 2 btw?

the basic "shoot wand/potion/gun/spell/something" gameplay is fun and fast, but its meta progression is mega grindy and stuff gets repetitive eventually. I had fun for around 18 hours until I stopped playing (had some wrist issues in July), and haven't gone back to it since. it genuinely should have way more of its weapons unlocked immediately instead of being locked behind missions

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's a sad state of affairs for the roguelite genre when the best scenario I can hope for is "hopefully the metaprogression is easy enough to cheat engine".
Oh well. All things considered, I'm probably in the minority when it comes to opinions on metaprogression.

Also, someone should come up with a way to shorten "metaprogression" because typing out "metaprogression" every time I want to :cloud: about it gets annoying.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

If you tap the entire word out enough times you unlock it in your autocorrect suggestions for future posts :shrek:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Jack Trades, your posts got me to check out Ring of Pain again after picking it up at launch and never getting into it. Pretty fun! Kind of a low-intensity, play-with-something-in-the-background game. Feels RNG-heavy but not really in a bad way and it's a great rush getting just the item you need that makes your whole gameplan come together. Pulled off a win with the Shadow ending with the armor that halves damage from explosions and the trinket that makes more explosive enemies appear and it was fun just creating insane chain reactions that wiped out the whole stage.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

goferchan posted:

Jack Trades, your posts got me to check out Ring of Pain again after picking it up at launch and never getting into it. Pretty fun! Kind of a low-intensity, play-with-something-in-the-background game. Feels RNG-heavy but not really in a bad way and it's a great rush getting just the item you need that makes your whole gameplan come together. Pulled off a win with the Shadow ending with the armor that halves damage from explosions and the trinket that makes more explosive enemies appear and it was fun just creating insane chain reactions that wiped out the whole stage.

The array of items in that game is pretty good. You can definitely do some fun builds if you luck into right items.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Clark Nova posted:

If you tap the entire word out enough times you unlock it in your autocorrect suggestions for future posts :shrek:
Holy poo poo this post was fantastic :wow:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Also, someone should come up with a way to shorten "metaprogression" because typing out "metaprogression" every time I want to :cloud: about it gets annoying.

mprog

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kanos posted:

I found both Gunfire Reborn and Roboquest to do everything Immortal Redneck was trying to do but both doing it enormously more successfully.

I haven't had the chance to play either yet, but it seems they're both on my (four-digit) wishlist already.

I'll give them a gander one day, cough probably when they're in a bundle somewhere cough.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I also think Gunfire is the best of this 'subgenre', and yeah the metapogression goes too long, but I will say it's one of those games that is just fun to play, and feels good at a visceral level, so it's easy to play more and more.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Gunfire is the best, but as mentioned there aren't that many serious contenders in the entire genre, so the bar is kinda low. It needs a StS to set an example.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

this is only one letter away from disaster and, in keeping with the roguelike tradition, is approved.

e: i'll admit i've always been interested in Ring of Pain but the key art of what appears to be demonic baby chick looking through tall grass has mysteriously repelled my cursor every time i go to click on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Gunfire is the best, but as mentioned there aren't that many serious contenders in the entire genre, so the bar is kinda low. It needs a StS to set an example.

Roboquest is moving pretty well that way, but development has been slow. It's been a couple years now and while the base shooting game that's there is really good, but it's still missing some definite substance and it doesn't feel significantly closer to actually hitting v1.0 then it did since the Autumn update last year.