Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Captain Hygiene posted:

And yet, you post on here

ouch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Captain Hygiene posted:

And yet, you continue to post on here
:drat:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

:iceburn:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oMkhIXDVDo

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

You can't stop me from flooding the nest in petroleum and lighting it.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Captain Hygiene posted:

The OSHA is in the thread!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Captain Hygiene posted:

Pure savagery, cloaked in politeness.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

holy poo poo I caught up with the thread

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Unsafe levels of fake HDR.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

it's fine because it's modern

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
What's with the bumper car grid hanging in the air?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Some bridgefuckling from Boston.

https://twitter.com/DJWillMartin/status/1565043993724928000

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Isn't this just a car with more steps?

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

A staggeringly large amount of magic smoke was released in the Netherlands today

This is an aerial view of an above ground 150kV power line. Yes, the whole above ground line is smoking, over a distance of many kilometers. It's surreal. This is not a forest fire, this is smoke from a glowing hot power above ground power line.

https://vxtwitter.com/conscienceai/status/1565699489150783488?s=21&t=PR31ov8bLAK2mMbQPv-Vng

The cause can be seen in the video in the tweet. Due to (or at least related to) construction or maintenance work in a substation (there are no reports of dead or wounded linemen, so that's good), a very bad arc was triggered, which arced to ground and phase to phase. There was a 400 to 600% overload on the line that feeded it, causing the line to sag over a distance of many kilometers.

The circuit breakers failed to open in multiple places. As of today, it's not yet know if they were triggered but failed to interrupt the fault current, or whether they simply didn't trigger.

There was extensive damage to a LOT of electrical infrastructure around the area where the fault happened. Below is a picture of arcing on the 1,5kV catenary line of a train. It is not yet known if the 150kV line directly contacted the train power line because it sagged so far, or whether this is caused by the return path of the 150kV line going through the rail intrastructure.
Our rails are not hard referenced to ground, but they do have protection links in many places that short out, if the rail carries a voltage of more than a few hundred volt with reference to ground because of a ground fault.

Signaling equipment along the train line is completely fried. The isolation on the low voltage wires is just gone. Miraculously, only one train carrying 350 people got stranded. The train didn't burn out, which probably means that the 150kV line did not directly contact the 1,5kV train catenary, though the arcing on the power line above does look scary.

In some areas, smoke emanated from the ground where power cables were buried underground. Both rail pictures were 3km away from the nearest power line. Things went really, *REALLY* wrong.

There were no power interruptions lasting more than a few minutes, due to the redundancy of our national grid. However, in the town nearest the fault where the mains voltage dropped because of the overloaded local part of the grid, the local voltage regulators started to try and step up the voltage. This lead to the voltage surging when the fault suddenly cleared, but the regulator still was at a high tap. It took a while for the voltage to get back to the standard 230v.

As of yet, the extent of the damage is not known, but there are reports of many small fires or plumes of smoke emanating from stuff like highway signaling equipment, and the trains in that area won't be going anywhere for the next couple of days.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 2, 2022

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Trainfuckle of the year 2022? It looks like it'll take a while to fix all that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

:piss:

So are you all going to have to dig up a bunch of buried lines? Because to this armchair idiot who knows nothing about electron fuckling "we saw smoke coming from the ground over buried lines" sounds no bueno niet goed

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Will definitely take a while. They essentially gotta check the integrity of ALL train power supply and signaling cables and equipment along at least 10km of track.
I expect them to do isolation and continuity tests and just leave it buried if it passes those tests, but it's safe to assume the trench diggers are gonna be really busy for at least the whole of next week. I'm pretty sure they'll find a whole lot of leaky cables, and especially signaling cable.

The 150kV line doesn't have anything to do with trains, the trainfuckling is just a side note in this story lol

More importantly, the private companies running the national grid have to figure out why the gently caress this can happen without a breaker opening. A second substation burned out because of the overload. So far no pictures or video of that.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 2, 2022

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Mmmmm, cherry gummy legos....

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Who plugged their moms dildo into mains.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

e nm

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

Germany could end both climate crisis and current energy crisis by putting Lindemann in jail.

There was a few times I was watching I thought to myself that's a lot of particulate pollution going on.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Cyrano4747 posted:

:piss:

So are you all going to have to dig up a bunch of buried lines? Because to this armchair idiot who knows nothing about electron fuckling "we saw smoke coming from the ground over buried lines" sounds no bueno niet goed

It depends on whether they can use directional boring to replace the lines. I doubt transmission size stuff can be done without daylighting it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Underground transmission lines are mega$$$.
Ooof I wonder if it was really breakers not opening when commanded by their protective relays or the relays themselves not picking up the fault.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Someone was pissed they aren't allowed milk tank bombs and fireworks all over the place any more.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Enough electricity to almost complete one crypto transaction

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

ekuNNN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nF9Mp27ABA

he is so loving lucky not to have rolled over that edge :stare:

:lol: I'm the person recording the video on my cell phone saying "go get your phone, we need to call 911"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

wiegieman posted:

It depends on whether they can use directional boring to replace the lines. I doubt transmission size stuff can be done without daylighting it.

They can't pull a new cable through the same conduit?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ekuNNN posted:

"UPDATE! Family has confirmed that he is indeed still alive with some brain injury."

How would they tell

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Lone Badger posted:

They can't pull a new cable through the same conduit?

Not if the conduit is damaged, it might tear up the insulation. For a distribution conduit you just pull the old cable out and blast the borehead through whatever conduit is already there, and it pulls the new conduit behind it, but there's an upper size limit on directional boring machines.

They'll probably run an optical check through the conduit after they pull the old cable to see if they can re-use it.

e: And this is assuming that the transmission line was pulled through conduit, some of this stuff is so big that is has to be laid and then a shell built around it.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 3, 2022

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

ekuNNN posted:

I'd like to think if I was there I'd be yelling at the guy not to be a fool and offer to help him climb back over.

But another part of me would want to just hit REC on my phone and see how this poo poo plays out.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

ekuNNN posted:

Goddamn

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

TotalLossBrain posted:

Underground transmission lines are mega$$$.
Ooof I wonder if it was really breakers not opening when commanded by their protective relays or the relays themselves not picking up the fault.

They take a lot of coordination to fix:

https://youtu.be/z-wQnWUhX5Y

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

wiegieman posted:

Not if the conduit is damaged, it might tear up the insulation. For a distribution conduit you just pull the old cable out and blast the borehead through whatever conduit is already there, and it pulls the new conduit behind it, but there's an upper size limit on directional boring machines.

They'll probably run an optical check through the conduit after they pull the old cable to see if they can re-use it.

e: And this is assuming that the transmission line was pulled through conduit, some of this stuff is so big that is has to be laid and then a shell built around it.

I don't know how big some of those giant transmission lines are, but I've seen steel pipelines directional drilled that were about a metre in diameter.

Obviously you need a big rear end directional drill for that.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

crime fighting hog posted:

I'd like to think if I was there I'd be yelling at the guy not to be a fool and offer to help him climb back over.

But another part of me would want to just hit REC on my phone and see how this poo poo plays out.

A lot of people get combative when being told no, and getting on a cliff top battle with a drunk rear end in a top hat is very low on most people's lists.

Seems like dude was suicidal, based on my rear end; but the way he was considering a jump for a minute there.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

don't show this to the schadenfreude thread

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Tunicate posted:

Aren't you swiss?

Let me overlay graphs of the average temperature ranges of Zurich and Phoenix

Nah, Philadelphia burbs. Spent seven years in Switzerland then France, though.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 3, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

piL posted:

Isn't this just a car with more steps?

No, that would be the this.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Just discovered a new sport, that seems to fit this thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewDB_GJ2f8M