Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
oh sure, you can use a mac as an adult. and here's your new company car:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I spoke to the hiring manager for the internal transfer I'm looking at and he said that I should expect an offer either today or Tuesday.

It didn't show up today, so I hope to be posting that emote on Tuesday. Get ready to congratpost

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Weirdly, Macs for cloud devs works pretty well at my company. These are managed devices, the user gets office, web browser, a suite of unix tools they all seem to like, and an RDP to a Windows VM for most of their code dev.

Beats our windows laptops hands down, though really those are under spec'ed and bloated with security products, which is a sad experience for a lot of users.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm guessing the Windows laptops don't also get a Windows VM, eh?

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

The perfect machine to use, as long as you have another machine to use?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Just give them a Chromebook if you're going to have them RDP into an actual development environment jesus christ

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
MacOS with Linuxify and Brew >>> Windows with WSL

And iterm2 rules.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
I’ll honestly never go back to developing on a windows machine unless someone puts a gun to my head.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
From a security side, I prefer macs these days. One of my orgs is basically 100% Mac and it actually makes things a lot more sane endpoint wise.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

skipdogg posted:

My biggest issue with Apple devices, back when I supported end user workstations, was the lack of hardware support. Drag your rear end to an Apple store or mail the poo poo in.

Dell ProSupport, no problem, some dude will be there tomorrow with a new motherboard. I spent half a loving day at the apple store once with some VP's MacBook getting his hardware issue addressed and I stopped supporting them after that. The developers I supported were more then welcome to buy a MacBook if they wanted, but I would not be supporting the physical hardware.

If you give Apple enough money for Enterprise AppleCare they'll pay someone Dell funnily enough to come fix on-site for you.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Blinkz0rz posted:

I’ll honestly never go back to developing on a windows machine unless someone puts a gun to my head.

good news, we're pivoting to GEOS

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Happy long weekend nerds

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

CLAM DOWN posted:

Happy long weekend nerds

Does Canada celebrate the same Labor Day? I just assumed it was a month early same as Thanksgiving.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Does Canada celebrate the same Labor Day? I just assumed it was a month early same as Thanksgiving.

Yeah but they call it "le laboure dayee" so it sounds cooler

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

jaegerx posted:

Yeah but they call it "le laboure dayee" so it sounds cooler

The feds would never allow a french holiday, that would cede too much ground to Quebec.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Lol yes, labour day is actually from Canada, it spread to America after ;)

https://nupge.ca/content/celebrating-labour-day-holiday-canada-gave-world

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lol yes, labour day is actually from Canada, it spread to America after ;)

https://nupge.ca/content/celebrating-labour-day-holiday-canada-gave-world

A holiday and cheesy fries, you are truly a wonderful country.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Happy long weekend nerds

I'm camping

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

GreenNight posted:

I'm guessing the Windows laptops don't also get a Windows VM, eh?

strangehamster posted:

The perfect machine to use, as long as you have another machine to use?

Yes. The way our environments work is users often have a VM in each one, so most everybody has at least one for some reason or other. Performance or application availability is sometimes a reason, but it’s mostly security and data isolation.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
gently caress me this has just been the week from hell.

I might have just lost a whole array simply because a disk failed, it was replaced, and the subsequent rebuild took out another disk before the first one finished. So that was replaced, and then two died. I have no idea if the two dead drives occurred before the second rebuild finished but the array is proper hosed while we wait on those drives to be replaced.

Best part? It's an 8 year old server running a 20 TB array of 23 disks in Raid 5. So yeah... One disk failure, one cold spare. I'm pretty sure it is hosed.
Meanwhile I have a server that needs to be restored from backup, and another that needs an upgrade that can't be performed without a backup.

If that were it that would be enough, but for some reason nobody can log onto our secure wifi with AD credentials. Meraki AP's can test against radius just fine. Radius server seems to be receiving requests and parsing them properly, it just rejects the login attempts for everyone's credentials. Meraki told us to pound sand.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Best part? It's an 8 year old server running a 20 TB array of 23 disks in Raid 5. So yeah... One disk failure, one cold spare. I'm pretty sure it is hosed.
Meanwhile I have a server that needs to be restored from backup, and another that needs an upgrade that can't be performed without a backup

This is painful to read.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Wibla posted:

This is painful to read.

Painful is being told to "engineer a solution" but the 6 different quotes I got to replace it with various other solutions like "same poo poo but updated", or hybrid cloud backup solution, or increased SAN capacity only to have them all shot down for costing money. But then the fucker goes and blows $100,000 on dumb poo poo like office supplies, and fiber testing equipment, and loving utility locator tools???

Anywho that dude is fired now so I guess I'm the one to blame.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Meanwhile I have a server that needs to be restored from backup, and another that needs an upgrade that can't be performed without a backup.

This is the cost cheaping out on replacing hardware in a timely fashion catching up real quick. Really sucks for you, maybe your boss will learn his lesson with regards to allocating budget to LCM he won’t

I hope for you this is not the server storing your backups.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Painful is being told to "engineer a solution" but the 6 different quotes I got to replace it with various other solutions like "same poo poo but updated", or hybrid cloud backup solution, or increased SAN capacity only to have them all shot down for costing money. But then the fucker goes and blows $100,000 on dumb poo poo like office supplies, and fiber testing equipment, and loving utility locator tools???

Anywho that dude is fired now so I guess I'm the one to blame.

Well the solution engineering is easy.

A) Pay money for data recovery service and replacement server. Learn from your mistake and start replacing all your other 5+ year old servers. Yes it’s going to be expensive.
B) Lose data, stop complaining and accept this as the cost for cheaping out for the past decade.

LochNessMonster fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 3, 2022

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

The Fool posted:

I would not expect AD to be covered in a computer engineering course.

It would be covered in an IT trade course.

its like designing a bridge vs learning how to poor concrete

I've always likened it to "You're so good with computers, you should get a computer science degree" is like saying the telescope repair technician should become an astrophysicist because he's good at his job.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

LochNessMonster posted:

This is the cost cheaping out on replacing hardware in a timely fashion catching up real quick. Really sucks for you, maybe your boss will learn his lesson with regards to allocating budget to LCM he won’t

I hope for you this is not the server storing your backups.

Well the guy who turned down my proposals was fired a few weeks ago so he never got to see the consequences of his actions. New boss seems to have a fair bit of sway with the org just by virtue of not being the old boss.
He at least seems willing to invest in infrastructure and has the backing to do it. Probably at the cost of an FTE but honestly, we have never been fully staffed anyway and if it means not having to deal with poo poo like this in the future then it'll probably balance itself out.

That server was the backup server. Yes.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Well the guy who turned down my proposals was fired a few weeks ago so he never got to see the consequences of his actions. New boss seems to have a fair bit of sway with the org just by virtue of not being the old boss.
He at least seems willing to invest in infrastructure and has the backing to do it. Probably at the cost of an FTE but honestly, we have never been fully staffed anyway and if it means not having to deal with poo poo like this in the future then it'll probably balance itself out.

Well at least it seems you’re moving in the right direction then, that’s a positive takeaway from this situation. If you’ve got open positions but can reduce operational tasks simply because the new stuff won’t break as often it’s still a win right.

quote:

That server was the backup server. Yes.

Oh no…

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

If it actually finishes the rebuild you can copy it to a single 20tb disk these days! Maybe you can put it in a Buffalo.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

User made a mistake setting up MFA and soft locked herself out of her account. I have no idea how she did it and the client side fixes don't work. I send a message to my teammates asking for help because I'm stumped. Takes me about 10 minutes to google-fu my way to a potential solution. But I don't have the permissions to do it on our system. I post it and they finally get back to me. My teammates spend twenty minutes asking questions I've already answered and demanding that I view the screen in a way different than the way I already viewed her screen for ???. (TeamViewer when she shared her screen with me in Zoom) Finally my teammate discovers the method I had posted by random clicking, toots her own horn, and completely ignored the official knowledge base article I posted on the product we're using.

Twist: she's also my boss so I probably shouldn't call her out on completely ignoring me finding the solution and wasting a half hour because she couldn't click on a link that takes seconds to read.

Why do people act like you need to have been in this business for a decade to read a loving FAQ.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

What's it like working for Linus?

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

User made a mistake setting up MFA and soft locked herself out of her account. I have no idea how she did it and the client side fixes don't work. I send a message to my teammates asking for help because I'm stumped. Takes me about 10 minutes to google-fu my way to a potential solution. But I don't have the permissions to do it on our system. I post it and they finally get back to me. My teammates spend twenty minutes asking questions I've already answered and demanding that I view the screen in a way different than the way I already viewed her screen for ???. (TeamViewer when she shared her screen with me in Zoom) Finally my teammate discovers the method I had posted by random clicking, toots her own horn, and completely ignored the official knowledge base article I posted on the product we're using.

Twist: she's also my boss so I probably shouldn't call her out on completely ignoring me finding the solution and wasting a half hour because she couldn't click on a link that takes seconds to read.

Why do people act like you need to have been in this business for a decade to read a loving FAQ.

Something that’s driving me batty at work lately is that people neither read nor listen. I think we are all just so saturated by information and stimuli that our brains sometimes immediately move away from the solution right in front of us - which in this case would be “read what tokin JUST WROTE” - and go on little adventures.

I know that I definitely used to read and think a lot more critically, but when it results in frustration and wasted time like that, just, ugh.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Our company is launching a new flagship product that is going to be future of development, I don't want to dox myself so I'll vaguely hint that it heavily interacts with the PC network stack. This means that AD traffic like login and what not is impacted. A few projects have this working fine with our product, and some customers are happily using it in production. The problem is that none of them have written down anything they did to get group policy/ldap/etc working. It's a pretty important topic and every day I see people in our Slack asking how to configure our product so it can coexist with LDAP and one of the select few people with the magic knowledge gives one hint of a whisper what was done.

I spent all day Thursday crawling over all our chats, compiling all our the notes into one confluence doc about how to coexist with LDAP, then I've just been bombarding publically in the main engineering chats with @'s for anyone that has an aswered a question about it to please contribute to the document.

Let me check the page history, whoops only five edits by myself, 11 page views. :f5:

For a critical blocker of our new flagship product.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have access to the audit logging on our M365 tenant and write documentation that our sales team reference. Whenever they email me to ask a question that is covered by the docs I do a quick check of the audit and see if they have read the relevant page in the last month, and then just reply with the link.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

jaegerx posted:

A holiday and cheesy fries, you are truly a wonderful country.

Who are you and what have you done with jagerx?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I've always likened it to "You're so good with computers, you should get a computer science degree" is like saying the telescope repair technician should become an astrophysicist because he's good at his job.

For helldesk the only thing that is really required is the ability to solve puzzles though to be fair that title can mean room temp machine go brrrr too, so let’s say I’m thinking t2/3 and perhaps the occasional t1 thing like outlook is loving up due to reg file poo poo. The knowledge comes from the solving.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Super-NintendoUser posted:

Our company is launching a new flagship product that is going to be future of development, I don't want to dox myself so I'll vaguely hint that it heavily interacts with the PC network stack. This means that AD traffic like login and what not is impacted. A few projects have this working fine with our product, and some customers are happily using it in production. The problem is that none of them have written down anything they did to get group policy/ldap/etc working. It's a pretty important topic and every day I see people in our Slack asking how to configure our product so it can coexist with LDAP and one of the select few people with the magic knowledge gives one hint of a whisper what was done.

I spent all day Thursday crawling over all our chats, compiling all our the notes into one confluence doc about how to coexist with LDAP, then I've just been bombarding publically in the main engineering chats with @'s for anyone that has an aswered a question about it to please contribute to the document.

Let me check the page history, whoops only five edits by myself, 11 page views. :f5:

For a critical blocker of our new flagship product.

My experience documenting is that if you don't harang the person for information yourself, they will not volunteer it willingly, let alone go in and add it to a fancy wiki. It's probably the number 1 reason the company I work for now has such lovely documentation that I've only slowly been able to start correcting: institutional knowledge kept in heads and personal file cabinets instead of accessible locations.

A friend of mine at this company died a few years back, and all his institutional knowledge of weird, esoteric RAID configuration poo poo died with him. The only other person who knows about as much is old enough that he was using punchcard machines in the 50s.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, I finished my first week at my new job with a goon manager yesterday. So far it's going well, I think, there's a ton of stuff to learn so my brain is mush. Super nice people though, and I got approved to take a couple days in October to go get a consultation for eye surgery despite the fact I will have been there barely longer than a month.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, I finished my first week at my new job with a goon manager yesterday. So far it's going well, I think, there's a ton of stuff to learn so my brain is mush. Super nice people though, and I got approved to take a couple days in October to go get a consultation for eye surgery despite the fact I will have been there barely longer than a month.

Heyo glad to hear it worked out.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Hey uh I'm not sure if you went through some weird game of telephone at some point but you seem to be reversing the words of a famous quote by a famous computer scientist:

https://twitter.com/codewisdom/status/972828739976429568

Though that said, given how many "famous quotes" are either made up or completely misattributed I'm not gonna swear that he actually said that, but it's pretty commonly quoted whenever someone talks about programming and knowing how computers work in the same sentence.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Great news everyone!
The 20TB Raid 5 array is completely hosed! We have no backups!

This is good news because I don't have to do anything to attempt to recover that poo poo and someone is about to hopefully learn a hard lesson in what the work 'backup' actually means.
Also doubly good, my boss called me at 7:30 this morning saying that he finally understood what I meant by "No this poo poo is hosed. It needs to be replaced immediately."

Sucks for the VM's I needed to restore from backups though I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The above quote is responsible for me wasting about $40,000 in student loans for one year worth of credits over four years because I loving hated programming.