Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face

No Wave posted:

I'm starting to strongly suspect that kusanali will be a healer...

I am also suspecting this, potentially for the same reasons.

Future character spoilers: no baizhu before 3.5 :yikes:

Edit: oh you mentioned that already :smith:

MoonCrab fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

No Wave posted:

(I was thinking about this after new rumors that Baizhu is coming 3.6 at the earliest and that seems too long to wait for a healer)
hydro and anemo still dont have shielders and theres still no real geo healers. i think theyre fine forcing you to run kokomi, barbara, kuki, or doi for healing in dendro teams atm.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

RareAcumen posted:

Oh my god they're finally doing it. I just started doing today's daily mission and Uninvited Guests has Xiao in it! Wow! A character I know about and want to see in the world doing things!

There is also the inexplicable secret second ending to one of the Inazuma dailies that has Xiangling in it. Also required for a certain achievement.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Tsyni posted:

There is also the inexplicable secret second ending to one of the Inazuma dailies that has Xiangling in it. Also required for a certain achievement.
Even more strangely there's a whole series of daily commissions (with more achievements) gated behind the Xiangling ending. And a sumeru quest too it looks like.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I hate everything locked behind specific daily commissions. Do you know how long I've had my dailies set to Mondstat trying to get even a single Tales of Winter to pop? Months!

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Harrow posted:

Out of curiosity, what makes Fischl better than Raiden for most comps? I've just started building both of them up because I've barely played since I pulled Raiden and had also been badly neglecting my non-Xingqiu/Bennett 4-stars before then.

Harrow posted:

Yeah I was thinking about pairing Ayato and Raiden since Ayato has that 6-second gap between his infusion windows where Raiden's burst could fit in, and she'd help with his energy issues. But I also really like having Fischl around because it's useful to have an archer for exploration, and also Oz is cool.

Fischl is more built than Raiden so I'm using her now (while very very slowly trying to get The Catch) and I'm kicking myself for not building her sooner.
Fischl is electro support battery. Raiden is electro sub-DPS battery. Supports are like really good in this game. You can never have enough supports.

There's no reason you can't use Ayato and Raiden it's just not ~optimal~ to have two sub-DPS who will overlap on field time. Raiden works best on a team of 3x supports like Raiden/Collei/Yelan/Zhongli or Raiden/Xiangling/Xingqiu/Bennett. Ayato and Raiden will have issues with shielded enemies because Raiden does no off-field electro to elemental shields. Since you have c6 Fischl, Ayato and Fischl should be BFFs forever. This is an absolute no-brainer Ayato attacks extremely fast and c6 Fischl has no cooldown on joint attacks which will then trigger electrocharged on every attack and proc Fischl's A4 every 0.5s in addition to Oz's attacks so you will see a lot going on at once.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

I hate everything locked behind specific daily commissions. Do you know how long I've had my dailies set to Mondstat trying to get even a single Tales of Winter to pop? Months!

Ngl I'm not sure how well this would work in practice but I kinda want to start inviting people to coop commissions

Because that's something you can do. And everyone gets credit. I've done both tales of winter and reliable helper in coop mode so I know it's possible

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Sanctum posted:

Fischl is electro support battery. Raiden is electro sub-DPS battery. Supports are like really good in this game. You can never have enough supports.

There's no reason you can't use Ayato and Raiden it's just not ~optimal~ to have two sub-DPS who will overlap on field time. Raiden works best on a team of 3x supports like Raiden/Collei/Yelan/Zhongli or Raiden/Xiangling/Xingqiu/Bennett. Ayato and Raiden will have issues with shielded enemies because Raiden does no off-field electro to elemental shields. Since you have c6 Fischl, Ayato and Fischl should be BFFs forever. This is an absolute no-brainer Ayato attacks extremely fast and c6 Fischl has no cooldown on joint attacks which will then trigger electrocharged on every attack and proc Fischl's A4 every 0.5s in addition to Oz's attacks so you will see a lot going on at once.

Not sure what the distinction between support and sub-DPS is for you because Fischl's literal only two jobs are doing damage and generating energy.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Thanks game
https://i.imgur.com/oQ8X1fo.mp4

Kale
May 14, 2010

WTF there was a world quest series at the Kamisato Estate apparently added in 2.8 that I never noticed until now.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's a long one, too. Good, but I wish I knew how long it was before I started it.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Slimes killed me when I was talking to an aranara. It was kinda funny watching myself get pushed out of frame but then I actually died and they just kept on talking.

I've also been getting some wicked bad popin, this cutscene also killed me:
(spoilered because it's a cool place you get to go to eventually, not that you can really tell when it isn't loaded)

:( She was making falling sounds the whole time until it loaded in.

The bilboards in Sumeru are good fun, though.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Oh my god the arana questlines, its like they took the tedium from the archon quest and just repurposed it in here instead

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Not sure what the distinction between support and sub-DPS is for you because Fischl's literal only two jobs are doing damage and generating energy.
All I mean is how you use the character in rotations. What role are they filling? I've used Fischl as a main phys DPS with Chong/Bennett as supports. Like Ning or Heizou can easily be a main DPS or sub DPS depending on how you rotate them.

Main DPS (long rotation) - Spends most of the time on field dealing consistent dmg (e.g. Yanfei, Ayaka)
Sub DPS (medium rotation) - Has a 5-10s skill/burst window or series of moves they stay on field to do with longer downtimes (e.g. Raiden, Ayato)
Support (very short rotation) - On field as little as possible (e.g. Xiangling, Diona)

That's just my semantics. Point being your team wants 3-4 supports. (You can never have too many supports.) What a support is can be as relative. Some people run proto amber Yanfei as a healer/shielder instead of main DPS. :v:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Oh my god the arana questlines, its like they took the tedium from the archon quest and just repurposed it in here instead

I think it’s best to remember they’re permanent content, not events. You can take forever to do them, it’s fine.

That being said, the story in them is FFXIV before the first credits roll bad.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Sanctum posted:

All I mean is how you use the character in rotations. What role are they filling? I've used Fischl as a main phys DPS with Chong/Bennett as supports. Like Ning or Heizou can easily be a main DPS or sub DPS depending on how you rotate them.

Main DPS (long rotation) - Spends most of the time on field dealing consistent dmg (e.g. Yanfei, Ayaka)
Sub DPS (medium rotation) - Has a 5-10s skill/burst window or series of moves they stay on field to do with longer downtimes (e.g. Raiden, Ayato)
Support (very short rotation) - On field as little as possible (e.g. Xiangling, Diona)

That's just my semantics. Point being your team wants 3-4 supports. (You can never have too many supports.) What a support is can be as relative. Some people run proto amber Yanfei as a healer/shielder instead of main DPS. :v:

I think it's a mistake to conflate "support" = "quickswap / off-field character" and "dps" = "on-field character" since while those roles have a lot of overlap they're far from absolute. For example Xiangling does the lion's share of the damage in the national team but spends less time standing around on field than even Bennett does. Or Sucrose or Kokomi drivers in taser teams vs Beidou as the off-field damage dealer.
But then Xiangling in a Ganyu Melt team is playing a supporting role instead of a DPS role even though she has the exact same playstyle and field time as the national team, so your priorities of e.g. who to focus on for artifact/talent upgrades first will change.

Kuki shinobu too: she's normally a support just used for heals + some electro application, but with dendro you can now build her as a damage dealer focusing on Quicken.

"Driver" or i guess "carry" makes a lot more sense for the role you're describing since "main dps" implies that they are the main source of damage-per-second.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 3, 2022

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Playing a bit on my alt account since the Sumeru archon quest chain is gated behind the Inazuma one and some Chasm stuff, and I just had the fun of showing the resistance fighters how to do archery on Yashiori island while lightning kept striking the targets and causing me to fail or striking me and throwing me out of the box. It took like five tries to finish it. Pretty funny!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I like the Aranara questline, all the Aranara's are cool and good and my friends :colbert:. Plus they all love to engage in the national pastime of dunking on Paimon.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Yeah I've just been doing like 1-2 aranara quests a day since it's permanent. The quests are cute, it's basically a FF14 beast tribe quest.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Rexxed posted:

Playing a bit on my alt account since the Sumeru archon quest chain is gated behind the Inazuma one and some Chasm stuff, and I just had the fun of showing the resistance fighters how to do archery on Yashiori island while lightning kept striking the targets and causing me to fail or striking me and throwing me out of the box. It took like five tries to finish it. Pretty funny!

One time I tried doing that commission with yelan.

:stonklol:

I actually tried a couple times, too. Couldn't blast the cursed arrows over the targets and get back fast enough, might've been doable if I wasn't doing that on ps.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I've got enough 4-star artifacts that I want to start feeding the weaker ones to my 5-stars. Is there anything I should look out for and hold onto apart from elemental damage goblets?

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

FractalSandwich posted:

I've got enough 4-star artifacts that I want to start feeding the weaker ones to my 5-stars. Is there anything I should look out for and hold onto apart from elemental damage goblets?

You will eventually only be using 5-star artifacts, with the possible exception of 4-star EM VV artifacts since they're so hard to farm for (although easier now that you can turn other 5-star artifacts into VV).

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Anyone who badmouths the Aranara is a heartless bastard

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face

FractalSandwich posted:

I keep a set of ER focused Instructor and Exile sets, one of every main stat (except elemental damage), preferably with crit rate substats (for favonius weapons). Their effects can be useful for some low damage support characters.

I also keep a healing bonus and crit rate circlet for each of the Prayers sets just in case there's some abyss nonsense that I might need them for. This has come up exactly one time so far (the abyss with Slowing Water against Abyss Heralds) but I know I would have been annoyed if I didn't have them at the time. I've never used the other elements but better safe than sorry I guess.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Infinity Gaia posted:

I like the Aranara questline, all the Aranara's are cool and good and my friends :colbert:. Plus they all love to engage in the national pastime of dunking on Paimon.

It's an important part of adventuring.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Paimon is my friend and that is why everyone must make fun of her.

Chunkystyle
Sep 7, 2018

Boat Stuck posted:

You will eventually only be using 5-star artifacts, with the possible exception of 4-star EM VV artifacts since they're so hard to farm for (although easier now that you can turn other 5-star artifacts into VV).

I'm convinced that EM VV artifacts don't exists. I've been throwing most of my daily resin to VV domain for past couple of weeks and haven't got a single one :geno:

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I understand hyperblooms now. They exist so that Sucrose can be more strongerer.

https://i.imgur.com/IuQxT9c.mp4

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Zenostein posted:

One time I tried doing that commission with yelan.

:stonklol:

I actually tried a couple times, too. Couldn't blast the cursed arrows over the targets and get back fast enough, might've been doable if I wasn't doing that on ps.
It took me way too long to realize that the reason the Dendroculus orbs kept missing the targets was that I was using Yelan.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Maxwell Adams posted:

I understand hyperblooms all things now. They exist so that Sucrose can be more strongerer.

Fixed that for you.
Sucrose is the best.

(You are far braver than me running that team with no healer--wanting to do this is the main reason I want Kokomi now)

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

"Driver" or i guess "carry" makes a lot more sense for the role you're describing since "main dps" implies that they are the main source of damage-per-second.

I have no idea where the "support" and "carry" terms come from, since this was the first game I've played where they get used, but it was immediately obvious what they meant and I have no idea why people want to drag "dps" into it. Quickswap is just a team without a carry. You can further divide it into hypercarries but that's only useful for prioritizing upgrades very early on and then becomes meaningless. Injecting MMO terminology just makes everything weird.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

carry comes from MOBAs like DOTA where the carry would be the person who the team would try and funnel gold to so they can get all the best items, which makes sense since in genshin whoever youre calling the carry usually wants your best artifacts if possible. and also even in MOBAs the carry wasnt necessarily the main source of damage, more just the character that scaled the hardest with items.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

DPS and the like are more commonly from mmorpgs, of course, where you have larger groups, and define roles that suggest what stats to prioritize, which is also relevant to genshin.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

To me the term “carry” implies that the character is not only the one spending the most time on field, but is also contributing by far the most to overall damage. Meanwhile, “driver” implies that they are spending the most time on field but that their role is largely to carry around other characters’ off-field damage while likely also enabling that damage to be higher. That’s how I’d use the terms anyway.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

What do we know about the next banner? It's less than a week away now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ganyu and Kokomi reruns, Dori's the new 4*

I don't think we know the other 4*s yet

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Oh cool, I didn't know Dori was a 4*, that's good. I can pull for Kokomi and may get Dori but if I don't get either it's not a big deal.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I don't really know the point of Dori, she seems to fit the exact same role in the party as Kuki but Kuki seems way more reliable for it. I guess Dori is a bit better for bow/catalyst teams, maybe?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I don't know much about Dori's kit but I'm all set on Electro unless she's super awesome as a Dendro support or something. I'm not a fan of any mechanic that drains HP though so I'm not a big fan of Kuki, maybe Dori can address that somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dori's another Electro healer but works differently from Kuki Shinobu. The wiki has descriptions of her abilities now, though obviously no numbers until she actually releases: https://genshin-impact.fandom.com/wiki/Dori