Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lysergic
Jan 13, 2006

Panfilo posted:

And where exactly is this Shangri la of republican administered municipalities that are bustling with high test scores, low poverty, low unemployment, and low cost of living? Where's their counterpart to San Francisco with poop free streets and no homeless people?

The Villages have high test scores

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
For what, all eight people under eighteen that live in that community?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lysergic posted:

For what, Alzheimer's?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Angry_Ed posted:

For what, Alzheimer's?

Very high scores for all sorts of STIs.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

For COVID and syphilis

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Donald Trump should be seriously concerned about an execution sentence

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm one of the people who thinks nothing will happen to Trump purely because the Dems do not want to set a precedent of presidents actually being punished for their crimes, but even if I did think that Trump would suffer any kind of punishment, they are not going to loving execute him, Jesus Christ.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm one of the people who thinks nothing will happen to Trump purely because the Dems do not want to set a precedent of presidents actually being punished for their crimes, but even if I did think that Trump would suffer any kind of punishment, they are not going to loving execute him, Jesus Christ.

yeah, but if it were up to you - would *you* have him executed?

And if so, isn't that worth sharing on whatever platforms you use?

tip: if you word it as 'donald slob should be arrested, charged with treason, convicted, and handed the harshest sentence elucidated in the US Constitution', any platform will ignore any 'reports' your post receives; if, on the other hand, you openly advocate for the execution - that is, death by violence - of donald 'the slob' trump, you will get a tempban.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

If we take a lesson from South Korea's book and start jailing every President once they leave office for bribery and corruption, I do not mind.

Bring it on, let's see those charges.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Uglycat posted:

yeah, but if it were up to you - would *you* have him executed?

No, because I'm anti death penalty. Not saying anyone else has to be, just saying I am.

Would I like to see Trump in jail? Yeah, sure. It'd be pretty great. Do I think it'll happen? Probably not, but I am a bit more pessimistic than most. Not saying it's impossible but I don't think it will happen. But regardless of whether or not anything actually happens to him, he has zero reason to fear an execution sentence because that literally is not ever going to happen.

e: I just realized there are two ways to interpret your original post and I think I interpreted it the opposite way from what you meant. "Trump should be seriously concerned about an execution sentence" could mean:

1) In this reality, the possibility of Trump being executed is very high, and he is right to worry about it happening.
2) In another, better reality, Trump would be fearing execution right now, because the possibility would be very high.

I interpreted it as the first, but your followup question of "would you have him executed?" leads me to believe you meant it in the second way.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 2, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

J.A.B.C. posted:

If we take a lesson from South Korea's book and start jailing every President once they leave office for bribery and corruption, I do not mind.

Bring it on, let's see those charges.

Or the good old Illinois-style politics-to-prison pipeline :v:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

somebody made a good point recently

i've mentioned in the past how gamergate really helped the Right make massive gains in the culture war, with their domination of youtube and basically creating an entire industry of media related aggrievement. breadtube managed to push back a decent amount after 2017, but with the rise of people like Andrew Tate, Sneako, Fresh and Fit, and countless other personalities and channels, it looks like we might be backsliding again.

but why is that? in one sense, it seems kind of obvious. reactionary channels like many of the ones i mentioned plus other well known ones like thequartering, tim pool, steven crowder, all post videos, LONG videos, MULTIPLE times per day. this helps make them very prime algorithm bait, causing their videos to be trending more, thus being seen more, and creating a feedback loop. the left, by comparison, doesn't have NEARLY the same amount of dedication. there is a tiny, tiny amount of lefty channels that churn out daily content like TYT, secular talk, david pakman and the majority report. these channels, as big as they may be, are completely overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of reactionary channels doing the same poo poo on a daily basis. and i don't think we can bother receiving much help from breadtube either. the biggest BT channels like contrapoints, hbomber, shaun and the like, only make one video every couple of months (if even that, in some cases).

the left is hilariously outmatched in this regard, and something desperately needs to change.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Off the top of my head: it's way easier to put out lots of videos when you don't have to care whether or not what you're saying is correct, or even if it means anything.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Content composed of lies and hatred is easy to mindlessly crank out, plus making people angry that you're lying and inciting hatred helps your score in the algorithm.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Are these right-wing cranks becoming more popular, though? Their videos appear sure but they're overall really boring. If you need long-form content then people go more to Twitch where you can find political content running basically 24/7 and they often deliberately use the raid feature to keep you in political twitch when they're finished with their own broadcast. In fact people like TheQuartering rely on livestreaming for the content in their hours-long snoozefests that are way less entertaining when your messages can't be read out in real-time.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tesseraction posted:

Are these right-wing cranks becoming more popular, though? Their videos appear sure but they're overall really boring. If you need long-form content then people go more to Twitch where you can find political content running basically 24/7 and they often deliberately use the raid feature to keep you in political twitch when they're finished with their own broadcast. In fact people like TheQuartering rely on livestreaming for the content in their hours-long snoozefests that are way less entertaining when your messages can't be read out in real-time.

Not really getting that popular, even for left wing commentators now.
The peak was maybe two or three years ago, where you would get tens of thousands watching every broadcast with live donations flooding in.
There a very few that don't have to poo poo out videos every day to make bank, even TheQuartering has to post every 10 minutes on every story out there just to get enough views.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 2, 2022

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Twelve by Pies posted:

I would be flabbergasted if Trump received any consequences for his actions for a single thing he's done because that might make me believe in Justice again and that's incredibly unlikely. The bad guys just win, more often than not.

There is an argument to be made for not setting that precedent because the GOP has proven they'll co-opt anything that suits their agenda at the time, but then again they'll just do whatever they want anyway with no pushback from the Dems if history is any judge.

Basically, to quote some radicals who camped out in a park once: "poo poo is hosed up and bullshit".

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Lysergic posted:

High cholesterol tests, maybe.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Tesseraction posted:

Double-post: The Alt-Right playbook talks about this tangentially in How To Radicalize a Normie, but the TLDW of it all is that basically, the repetativeness is the point, and people who aren't going to go further down the pipeline bouncing off is kinda the point.

You and I have better things to do because we have communities and hobbies and friends and discussions and real poo poo to do. Gabe Whiteman is watching this poo poo because that's where his community is, either directly (because he fell into the pipeline browsing youtube) or indirectly (because the fash have infiltrated a community he was part of before).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Neito posted:

Double-post: The Alt-Right playbook talks about this tangentially in How To Radicalize a Normie, but the TLDW of it all is that basically, the repetativeness is the point, and people who aren't going to go further down the pipeline bouncing off is kinda the point.

You and I have better things to do because we have communities and hobbies and friends and discussions and real poo poo to do. Gabe Whiteman is watching this poo poo because that's where his community is, either directly (because he fell into the pipeline browsing youtube) or indirectly (because the fash have infiltrated a community he was part of before).

Yeah, the playbook series is a good one, I suppose my contention is that I think we've hit diminishing returns on the kind of people those videos will sucker in. If anything it seems they're mostly maintaining their extremely dedicated fanbases and getting occasional views from the algorithm but without much success. I just think the media ecosystem is more likely to have those guys go simp for an e-girl on Twitch or watch some zoomer outperform them in Super Mario Odyssey while still having the time and brainspace to interact with chat.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah, the playbook series is a good one, I suppose my contention is that I think we've hit diminishing returns on the kind of people those videos will sucker in. If anything it seems they're mostly maintaining their extremely dedicated fanbases and getting occasional views from the algorithm but without much success. I just think the media ecosystem is more likely to have those guys go simp for an e-girl on Twitch or watch some zoomer outperform them in Super Mario Odyssey while still having the time and brainspace to interact with chat.

It's a shotgun approach. It doesn't matter who you fall in to, whether it's Louder with Crowder, the Joe Rogan Experience, Staring At RC Cars With Braindamage McLobster, or Jim, the guy who yells the gamer word over footage of Fortnite. At the level we're talking about, the point is to cast as wide a net as possible; the volume is what matters, not the quality. Find them any way possible, then funnel them deeper into the web; the flies will find the spiders on their own, at their own pace. It doesn't matter that there's 400 Jims; if they grab even one person that wouldn't've been grabbed before, it's a success.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Their individual popularity waxes and wanes, yes. But it's a constantly refreshing wave that brings new gross flotsam and jetsam ashore for a brief time every couple of years. Five years ago people like Milo and Sargon of Akkad were king shits of the internet right, now they can't get jobs at 7/11 and have been replaced by people like Stephen Crowder and Matt Walsh and TheQuartering. In time, the wave will wash them out as well and we'll be like "Man, remember TheQuartering, you don't hear about him any more, do you?" while complaining about the latest videos from the new YouTube sensation Dr. IWantMyAudienceToKillJewsAndLGBT+People and the newest model of eternally 12-years-old conservative wunderkind with a microphone.

It's a cycle and it sadly never ends.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

mojo1701a posted:

It's why when I heard people making fun of things like "government-enforced monogamy", I knew that was going to happen. Especially since what he actually means and believes isn't exactly hidden. People tripped over themselves to say that "Peterson says the government should force girls to marry incels", despite the fact that not only is that very stupid (I know it's Peterson, but let's be charitable) to actually believe, but that he's made no qualms about believing in the standard "destruction of the family means the destruction of civilization" trope.

He's also very good at repeating a lot of talking points similar to far-right extremists, but stops short of blaming particular ethnicities or proposing solutions. Now, you and I know full well that the issue with the Nazis doesn't stop and start with their "solutions", but that's how a lot of these idiots frame it as.
My first exposure to Destiny was a clip where (despite being busy playing an FPS) he had the insight that Jorp routinely makes descriptive statements that strongly imply prescriptive ones. (Then I found out more about Destiny and haven't bothered with his nonsense since.) Peterson will say that the gender wage gap is natural and comes from things we can't tamper with, and then gets mad when people ask him about everything that implies.

Also Big Joel posted a video about JP, and one of the big things in it is how the guy really likes to point out an alleged problem and then just throw up his hands and say "It's a really hard problem and I don't know what to do!" in his "Kermit the Frog wants to die" voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbF7QEKJTZ4

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

nvm embeds hates clips I guess.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Does he literally think 'mishandling documents' means 'leaving them on the floor?'

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Vichan posted:

Does he literally think 'mishandling documents' means 'leaving them on the floor?'

What your heart tell you.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

Vichan posted:

"They keep saying I have tiny hands, and then they say I mishandled all these documents! How could I have handled them at all? And then mishandled? Can't even keep their story straight"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Tesseraction posted:

They're pretty popular. More than I'm comfortable with anyway. I swear to God the next person I hear crying about how nobody wants to work anymore just might get me to go off instead of just ignoring them.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
https://www.openculture.com/2016/11/umberto-eco-makes-a-list-of-the-14-common-features-of-fascism.html

I'm too lazy to bother writing up a proper analysis but I'm sure one of you lot has enough contempt for the right to run down the list and detail how Trumpism is American fascism.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

The Islamic Shock posted:

https://www.openculture.com/2016/11/umberto-eco-makes-a-list-of-the-14-common-features-of-fascism.html

I'm too lazy to bother writing up a proper analysis but I'm sure one of you lot has enough contempt for the right to run down the list and detail how Trumpism is American fascism.

We've even got a smiley! :umberto:

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

To make a longer reply: Eco and this thread go way back - 10 years, in fact - all the way to page 8 and this was in the context of rhetoric around Obama's re-election way before MAGA or Trump as a politician was even a thing (funny how that 10 year old counter-argument is a "demographics" case - LOL). And really this was not the first thread discussing right wing propaganda on SA so Eco talk around here goes back much further than that (see also: the Prester Jane authoritarian threads).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Some More News did a small series on it back in 2018, which was a continuation of a theme he ran during his "Some News" series on Cracked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcklYVR5I-I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIN8oxnw__I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM1w8_dOcR8

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Paolomania posted:

To make a longer reply: Eco and this thread go way back - 10 years, in fact - all the way to page 8 and this was in the context of rhetoric around Obama's re-election way before MAGA or Trump as a politician was even a thing (funny how that 10 year old counter-argument is a "demographics" case - LOL). And really this was not the first thread discussing right wing propaganda on SA so Eco talk around here goes back much further than that (see also: the Prester Jane authoritarian threads).

In the freep thread it goes back even further than that, if memory serves. At one point, a running joke was to periodically refer to the thread becoming an Eco chamber.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/emmavigeland/status/1566119251823443971?s=21&t=gUueJxJPDTcISrILcBtisQ

Unbelievable

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I'm not color blind but thats a dumb logo for a org, just a square?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Criminalizing a Criminal sure is a take I guess.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Insofar as Trumpism = Crimism, YES.

Jim Bont
Apr 29, 2008

You were supposed to take those out of the deck.
Can someone explain what happened to Matt Taibbi? From memory he started falling off when he preemptively dismissed the whole Russiagate thing based off the Barr version of the Mueller report, but it might have started earlier. Was a source of funding cut off? Or was he just hanging out too much with Greenwald?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don’t know if there was a specific point that he really went off the deep end, but yes it may have started with Russiagate. It has since escalated to promoting quack Covid cures as just ‘letting people decide’ and some other poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i love when all theses "lefties" drop the mask and weep and cry about the poor chuds being oppressed.