Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cleretic posted:

This is basically the same thing that killed Murphy Brown. Their love of using 70s soul and R&B to the point where it's baked into the scenes meant that it was an extra difficulty for syndication. And that meant that Murphy Brown couldn't maintain audience interest after it wrapped up, which meant that nobody bought it when they actually did take the effort to release it on DVD, which meant that nobody really cared enough to bring it to streaming, which also meant that nobody gave a drat about when they tried to do a revival season.

There's a lot of shows that were actually pretty big, but were so designed for the original airing that they just fell off the face of the earth afterwards because reruns couldn't happen. Murphy Brown was legitimately important in terms of commercial success, landmark storylines and even impacting discourse in American politics, but none of that does crap when it's three years after the series finale and there aren't reruns anywhere.

Daria at least got a release eventually with the music replaced, but it's still just not quite the same.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

A bit. But, like most sitcoms, it was really about interpersonal relationships.

Murphy had a live-in house painter plot that had nothing to do with current affairs and all her interactions with her coworkers were about the same. The only thing you'd need to know at-the-time current events for were the 30 seconds you see of her doing her anchorwoman bit.

I mean, technically Frasier was about well educated wealthy socialites who worked in mental health fields. But mostly it was about them being idiots.

Frasier does rely a lot on the main characters being wealthy wannabe snobs, because it's basically Victorian farce at least half the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

A bit. But, like most sitcoms, it was really about interpersonal relationships.

Murphy had a live-in house painter plot that had nothing to do with current affairs and all her interactions with her coworkers were about the same. The only thing you'd need to know at-the-time current events for were the 30 seconds you see of her doing her anchorwoman bit.

I mean, technically Frasier was about well educated wealthy socialites who worked in mental health fields. But mostly it was about them being idiots.

If anything the revival season of Murphy Brown aged even worse than the original. The original run is dated in its specific references but mostly holds together by not actually needing them, and the times where they include clips of actual politicians talking about Murphy Brown feel more like them wearing it as a badge of honor, because those were actual news pieces talking about the show rather than the fictional character.

The revival season definitely seems like they're huffing their own farts there, it's packed to the gills with very specifically 2018 current issues and celebrities. And while they do have a politician comment about them (Trump, naturally), it's an impersonator calling them out, which just doesn't work; injecting themselves into the public discourse, rather than taking advantage of being thrust into it.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 07:43 on Sep 3, 2022

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Some of my parents' friends mentioned liking the Drew Carrey show when it was airing, so we took the time to watch an episode one week. It involved Drew having to record a safety video for work, but for funsies, he made a second cut where he dubbed farts over the video, which he intended to show his friends. In true sitcom fashion, he ended up submitting the Fart Cut to work.

The extra bonus punchline was that the giggling baby title card at the end had its audio stinger replaced by a fart sound.

Not only was this episode hilarious, but it proved to me that farts are always funny. And that's something my family stands by to this day.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
CLEVELAND ROCKS!

CLEVELAND ROCKS!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Drew Carey show loving ruled and by all accounts the show was completely ego-free on the part of Drew and they just did straight-up whatever folks on set thought was funny. There was an episode they made that is randomly inside The Sims for one scene and at the end he uh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDIcZzL7-GA

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The only things I remember are one episode where Drew has cybersex with an anonymous stranger he meets online and it turns out to be Mimi, and a storyline where Drew has a girlfriend who puts on a lot of weight that involves a dream sequence with her dressed up as food dancing in a giant fridge.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I recall that every time Wayne Brady or Ryan Stiles made fun of Drew on Whose Line, he'd come back with "We're gonna miss ya, Louis...." or something to the effect of killing off his character on the other show :allears:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

CJacobs posted:

The Drew Carey show loving ruled and by all accounts the show was completely ego-free on the part of Drew and they just did straight-up whatever folks on set thought was funny. There was an episode they made that is randomly inside The Sims for one scene and at the end he uh

Oh dang, that episode aired March 28th. The same day The Sims House Party came out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think it helps that Drew Carey's entire shtick is self-depreciation. I think being made because of and using most of the cast of a comedy sketch/improv show works for it because it casts for talent over appearance, and ends up having a lot more normal and relatable looking people even despite the show getting out there and silly.

Croccers posted:

Oh dang, that episode aired March 28th. The same day The Sims House Party came out.

Wouldn't be surprised if that was very deliberately timed.

Also that's some amazing comic timing. For some reason it feels on-brand; video game humour actually lands when they make it at least plausibly like a real life video game, rather than the Pac-man sounds and all. I've mentioned a bunch of times but The Simpsons was always surprisingly good at that.

Futurama came up recently, for that matter, and reminded of the Anthology of Interest episode which is an excuse for a bunch of video game references... which actually works, because Fry's entire original specifically has him coming from the very end of 1999 as a 20something loser, and thus him wishing for life to be like a video game means that it absolutely would be a bunch of 80s and 90s nostalgia, because that's exactly what he grew up with, especially if his family didn't own the latest consoles and so all his experience was from arcades and 80s consoles.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 11:31 on Sep 3, 2022

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I 100% used a real version of that goofy little program that "destroys" the set at the end there to make my desktop be a picture of my house and blow it up as a kid. There were tons of those for bored people at work with special BOSS OVER SHOULDER buttons and all that, whoever made that sketch was totally a PC nerd.

Croccers posted:

This is awesome and is why I'm glad the show is at least partially preserved. :allears:

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 11:38 on Sep 3, 2022

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
There is an episode of Drew Carey where the go to NYC to try to see Cleveland play the Yankees. This ends when a famous celebrity shows up, everyone is very impressed, he’s very nice and gives them tickets to his private box.

The celebrity is of course Donald Trump.

They don’t actually get to the game and the episode ends with this, which manages to drop a lil transphobia while being extremely queer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCGKYSMeA38

e: I grew up in Cleveland so until LeBron, Drew Carey was the single greatest living hero the city had

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Dang, this is the most accurate portrayal of video games in a sitcom ive seen and it probably aired in like 1999

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF7wckdzHXY

I will talk about this show all damned day, it is so unique in how it combined Mr Show with a three-camera sitcom to make magic.

Shiroc posted:

e: I grew up in Cleveland so until LeBron, Drew Carey was the single greatest living hero the city had

You're god damned right. :respek::hai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mym8aldyWFQ

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
There was one ep of Drew Carey, "Two Drews and the Queen of Poland Walk into A Bar", that was heavily edited in syndication due to all of the Polish jokes.

I don't remember this one so I can't recall what the jokes were and I haven't been able to find it uncut anywhere.

At one point, I had access to the west coast feed and was able to get the alternate versions of the live episodes.

One opening that was great had Kate taking her date (that she wanted to dump) to Drew's house and asked him and the other guys pretend to be her overly-redneck family.

Guy (to Oswald): If you're her brother, why do you have an accent and she doesn't?

Oswald: Because I was born on vacation.

Mister Kingdom has a new favorite as of 12:11 on Sep 3, 2022

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I loved the Drew Carey Show. I was probably too young to watch it but here we are. I remember the last few seasons weren't great but even they had their moments. Like when Drew's department store goes out of business the building is bought by a tech startup and Drew gets a job there (I think simply because he showed up one day and didn't know the store went out of business) and he didn't know what his job actually was but he was getting paid well for it. They had all the techbro poo poo like the founders riding Segways around the office and stuff like that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TsEAaC75s4

The emmy scenes were always funny

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK has a new favorite as of 12:58 on Sep 3, 2022

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ah wow, this is really bringing me back. I remember watching the Drew Carey show with my folks. I believe it was either preceded by or followed The Norm Show on ABC for a while. I’ve watched a few episodes of Norm a little while back and it holds up… except for a lot of gay panic stuff, but that may have just been the episode I watched.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I remember The Drew Carey Show and Spin City both hitting syndication kinda quickly, while they were still airing new episodes, so I’d see episodes late at night on WB (And maybe TBS too?). I think both shows were successful at the time, but weren’t huge hits that become staples of syndication which is why they seemingly faded so quickly.

Asynchronous Event
Dec 9, 2021

Croccers posted:

Apparently he was in House Party as well. Turns out he was a fan of the Sims which accounts for both the episode, the date for that, and the cameo.
https://web.archive.org/web/20161009061944/http://www.eeggs.com/items/26869.html

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The Drew Carey show was one of the shows I watched with my parents when I was a kid and I remembered it having some pretty gonzo plots, like I think there's a multiple episode arc where Drew ends up in a coma and has a conversation with his unborn nephew in the womb or something, but I didn't remember the whole show just throwing stuff at the wall like that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Now that I think about it, I do remember an episode of the Drew Carey show where they played pool with the actual straight-up Devil.

That show's writers' room must've been a REALLY weird place to work.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Cleretic posted:

Now that I think about it, I do remember an episode of the Drew Carey show where they played pool with the actual straight-up Devil.

And a technical virgin joke with Miles from Murphy Brown as the Devil.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I might remember this episode, at least a bit? Wasn’t it just a dude with a name tag on his shirt that said “Devil”? I didn’t remember the thing about him being the actual devil, but that one detail stands out in my head.

Show went some weird places, indeed :devil:

Asynchronous Event
Dec 9, 2021

Icon Of Sin posted:

I might remember this episode, at least a bit? Wasn’t it just a dude with a name tag on his shirt that said “Devil”? I didn’t remember the thing about him being the actual devil, but that one detail stands out in my head.

Show went some weird places, indeed :devil:

Second season, fifth episode. The red shirt embroidered with "The Devil". He's not actually the devil but he plays into the nickname/persona.

They did have a few weird stretches. Season 6 was where the coma and string of oddball ones fit in. Oddball might be putting it lightly.

Asynchronous Event has a new favorite as of 16:05 on Sep 3, 2022

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

didn't watch The Drew Carey Show nearly as often as Whose Line is it Anyway? back in the day. I was definitely aware of both existing, which made the "scenes from a hat" segments where they would call attention to Drew's success just a little funnier https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOE3hjLRKEo

Though speaking of Whose Line, there are certainly things on there that didn't age gracefully at all, like the majority of Clinton jokes just being Monica Lewinsky jokes (and them usually calling attention to her appearance), but they usually had a lot of fat jokes, usually at Drew's expense. In some ways those jokes have aged in a very different way because now you can hear that joke and then think "ho ho, jokes on them, clearly you SHOULD read a book on weight loss from Drew Carey"

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Drew Carey was kind of an outlier anyways. He was a marine corps sergeant (reserves, but still…) when he started doing stand-up, which could probably help to explain maybe a little bit of the weirder stuff in his show.

I can sort-of see him yelling at privates to get things done so he can go home and drink a beer, but not really.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Isn't he a weird Libertarian? Or as he described it, "basically a Republican, but I like to get high"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
both those labels have moved way further lightunits right now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Asterite34 posted:

as he described it, "basically a Republican, but I like to get high"

This sounds like most people I meet on the street as an American honestly, mildly conservative but won't ever vote for gambling to be illegal.

The libertarian thing though I didn't know about, seems the last news about it was 2016 and to me that reveal is kinda like Penn Jilette in that it explains a lot about his attitude toward business but not his personality.

Edit: huh, turns out Penn walked the libertarianism back publicly relatively recently- after he found out he was allying with crazy people who think plagues aren't real, that the libertarian ideal of 'i don't have to listen to you i can do what I want and get the result' doesn't exist re masks, and got vaccinated when his fellow supporters refused.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:53 on Sep 3, 2022

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Asterite34 posted:

Isn't he a weird Libertarian? Or as he described it, "basically a Republican, but I like to get high"

I remember when smoking indoor bans started rolling around, he went on a stint of deliberately smoking at bars who had banned it, even though he wasn't a smoker.

https://variety.com/1998/tv/news/carey-lights-up-for-smokers-rights-1117469300/

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah he seems to be the "durr, I support your right to do it" type of libertarian which really lost some steam in the 2020s for some odd reason

:v: / :negative:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

This sounds like most people I meet on the street as an American honestly, mildly conservative but won't ever vote for gambling to be illegal.

The libertarian thing though I didn't know about, seems the last news about it was 2016 and to me that reveal is kinda like Penn Jilette in that it explains a lot about his attitude toward business but not his personality.

Edit: huh, turns out Penn walked the libertarianism back publicly relatively recently- after he found out he was allying with crazy people who think plagues aren't real, that the libertarian ideal of 'i don't have to listen to you i can do what I want and get the result' doesn't exist re masks, and got vaccinated when his fellow supporters refused.

Carey and Penn are both libertarians who also endorsed Biden.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
On Twitter he’s making fun of Trump and Republicans at lot. And he donates a lot of money to help people. Whatever he is, he’s at least not a gently caress you got mine libertarian or a chud.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
It's still weird seeing Drew as the host of The Price is Right.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I was too young to appreciate the Drew Carrey show and this thread is showing me I really missed out

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's still weird seeing Drew as the host of The Price is Right.

Oh is that what he's doing now, I thought the clip I saw where he was on the set was just a bit.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Asterite34 posted:

Like really high, dude goes to EDC in Vegas a lot. He used to tell a story about introducing Ryan Styles to Molly during the festival. Carey gave him the pill then talked him into a helicopter sight seeing tour around Vegas/ the desert then 20mins in started playing engine sputtering noises on his phone and convinced him they were going to crash.

Dr. Lucien Sanchez
Jan 19, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

Am I the only one who remembers the episode where he decides to hold a 'salon' and the discussion is over what 'true conservatives' believe and Rush Limbaugh shows up to offer some sage advice? And is portrayed as a real cool dude?

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Kwyndig posted:

Oh is that what he's doing now, I thought the clip I saw where he was on the set was just a bit.

Hes been the host since 2007!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Drew Carey Show was funny and he himself is an odd guy. He was a marine and the story with his girlfriends is certainly something. One he (apparently, rumour) found on a camsite and another was a sex therapist who was sadly murdered.

Interesting guy.