Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Obviously Valheim springs to mind. The ambiance and building loops are really satisfying, you’ll have fun building a house each and a big main base; sailing off on a journey of discovery for the first time is a feeling second to none. However, there’s not a ton of enemy variations; the biomes are nicely defined but there’s only five of them (with a sixth coming soon), and it can be punishing in not-fun ways if you don’t take care.

V Rising has more combat and tons of boss fights but the gathering and building isn’t as granular as Valheim’s, so your bases will only vary in layout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

lowercase16 posted:

I'm looking for two recommendations. The first is a game where you dismantle poo poo. For example, I like Warriors games because you take out enemy commanders, take bases, and slowly dismantle an enemy's hold over a map. I also like the Assassin's Creed games and the new Hitman for the ability to watch patrols and find opportunities to take out bodyguards. This feeling is probably my favorite in video games, but I never hear anyone talk about it and I don't know what keywords to search for.

Red Faction Guerrilla: Remarstered has you gradually taking control of Mars from the enemy, and also literally dismantling large buildings.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

lowercase16 posted:

The other thing is what I'm specifically in the mood for now. I want a game I can break. Like, if you level up this job until you get this ability and then go down this path and get this other ability, you are a god among men and have trivialized the rest of the game. This sort of thing used to be common, but I think people are just better at making games now, so there's fewer exploits to do. I think the Disgaea series still has this, but for some reason, I can't play more than an hour of those games. I want to like them, but I just don't.

I like Siralim Ultimate.

It's a pokemon-esque game with classic RPG battles (6 monsters per side, turn-based, attack-defend-cast sort of thing), where you have 600 monsters with 600 different traits, and it's up to you to find the combination that let's you curbstomb the enemies. The gameplay consists of building a party and then going to the dungeon: If you cannot beat the enemies by pressing a single key, your composition is a failure and you go back to the drawing board.

That sensation never forever, though, because at max difficulty (you are playing at max difficulty, right?) your enemies escalate levels way, way faster than you, so then you build a new party with the new tools the game has given you in the last few floors of the dungeons and find an even killer team.

Of the top of my head, a few examples are:

- A pyro team where you set enemies on fire automatically, and when they take damage all your monsters auto attack, auto cast pyro spells (which stack more fire damage)
- A defiler team, where you place three debuffs automatically at the start of battle, every debuff triggers a second debuff, lower stats with each one and enemy monsters with a give debuff attack demselves.
- A dodge team, untouchable and every monster counterattacks when they dodge.
- A tank team, where you're basically untouchable, and where you use your defence stat instead of your attack stat.
- Caster team where each time you cast, everyone else also does it, for free.
- Teams that inflate their HP, blow up for full HP damage harming everyone (and triggering more explosions from your party), but your monsters resurrect automatically a couple of times.

There are something silly like 15 player "classes" that you can swap on the fly, each one with a set of different skills, artifacts, monster traits, monster fusion, god skills, etc...

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

lowercase16 posted:

I'm looking for two recommendations. The first is a game where you dismantle poo poo. For example, I like Warriors games because you take out enemy commanders, take bases, and slowly dismantle an enemy's hold over a map. I also like the Assassin's Creed games and the new Hitman for the ability to watch patrols and find opportunities to take out bodyguards. This feeling is probably my favorite in video games, but I never hear anyone talk about it and I don't know what keywords to search for.

I don't know if you'll also accept a recommendation that's a bit too literal, but Hardspace: Shipbreaker definitely gave me this extremely satisfying feeling.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

unlimited shrimp posted:

Looking for a persistent world PvE multiplayer game.

During the last lockdown we played a lot of Minecraft and that was fun but we burned out on "What kind of monument and/or dream house should I build?"
More recently, we played a lot of Rust and came up against the limits of what we felt our small group could accomplish with the amount of time we were willing to invest.

Ideally, it would be something like Minecraft in terms of crafting and exploration but have a meaningful PvE component so that we could work towards goals beyond our own vanity projects. We're also juggling competing schedules so it should have solo as well as cooperative components, so I'm thinking most MMOs wouldn't work. Like, we can all group up for stuff on a Friday night but if any one of us logs in during off-hours through the week then we can still have fun solo. PvP is fine but nobody wants to spend the time to get good against whippersnappers, or deal with offline raiding a la Rust.

We're currently considering either The Forest or 7 Days to Die but I'm wondering if there's anything we're overlooking.

e.
I should note that we can host our own server if need be so we don't necessarily have to rely on public servers.
Again, Valheim is the obvious answer. Heading to and setting up bases in new areas, taking down bosses for the first time, ore runs to distant lands etc. are very much group undertakings, but hopping on to grab some copper or rearrange things to be more aesthetically pleasing can be done solo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

lowercase16 posted:

The other thing is what I'm specifically in the mood for now. I want a game I can break. Like, if you level up this job until you get this ability and then go down this path and get this other ability, you are a god among men and have trivialized the rest of the game. This sort of thing used to be common, but I think people are just better at making games now, so there's fewer exploits to do. I think the Disgaea series still has this, but for some reason, I can't play more than an hour of those games. I want to like them, but I just don't.

I'm a big fan of that style of games myself.

I highly recommend Shadow of War, Cryptark, Gunpoint, Deadbolt, Katana Zero, Jydge and Heat Signature.

EDIT: Looked through my list of games again and there's also Teardown, Synthetik, Streets of Rogue and Severed Steel that might scratch the right itch.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Aug 29, 2022

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Which Puzzle Bobble or Bust-A-Move is the best one? Including arcade games, not including mobile games.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Thanks for the info, sounds like Valheim it is!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Valheim managed to do something no other survival open world game has ever done for me, and that is establishing a sense of "home". Coming back from a long excursion, cresting a hill and feeling a wave of relief and comfort when you see your base down there by the riverbend is unique to that game.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

unlimited shrimp posted:

Thanks for the info, sounds like Valheim it is!
If you're running a server I strongly recommend Valheim Plus. A lot of possible tweaks, especially but not limited to turning off or reducing XP loss on death.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Valheim managed to do something no other survival open world game has ever done for me, and that is establishing a sense of "home". Coming back from a long excursion, cresting a hill and feeling a wave of relief and comfort when you see your base down there by the riverbend is unique to that game.
Yeah, same. There's genuinely nothing like that first time you return from a wheelbarrow run.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 29, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Chamale posted:

Red Faction Guerrilla: Remarstered has you gradually taking control of Mars from the enemy, and also literally dismantling large buildings.

Yeah this or,

Osmosisch posted:

I don't know if you'll also accept a recommendation that's a bit too literal, but Hardspace: Shipbreaker definitely gave me this extremely satisfying feeling.

Also this are both real good.

Red Faction could probably be bad for real cheap on sale too.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

So, I'm looking for a game to play, I want it to have a focus on collecting cool artifacts and bringing them back to my player base. Think like a wizard who goes out searching for powerful magical artifacts or someone who has a private collection of something. Anything spring to mind that scratches that itch? Preferably open world. I'm thinking I might have to mod Skyrim and play it again.

I've played both Valheim and V Rising recently and am not looking to replay them.

EDIT: About to reread The Infinite and The Divine and I'm thinking that it would be cool to play a game in the vein of Trazyn and gathering items for his collection.

Saul Kain fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 29, 2022

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

lowercase16 posted:

Ghost Recon: Wildlands

In this game, you slowly dismantle a cartel piece by piece until you dissolve the whole thing. First you take out underbosses who handle boots on the ground operations, then you take out the bigger players responsible for things like security, R&D, transport, production, etc. all while the top brass freaks out and tries to deal with it.

It’s not really a game you can “break“ as hard as an Elder Scrolls game or something, but over the course of the game, you do get a steady stream of new weapons, weapon upgrades, and abilities (call for vehicle/helo, mortar fire, rebel diversion) that you can use to really make the actual game fairly trivial if you like.

It’s an older game at this point but I highly recommend it. I think it’s the best open world stealth shooter you can get.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 29, 2022

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

unlimited shrimp posted:

Looking for a persistent world PvE multiplayer game.

During the last lockdown we played a lot of Minecraft and that was fun but we burned out on "What kind of monument and/or dream house should I build?"
More recently, we played a lot of Rust and came up against the limits of what we felt our small group could accomplish with the amount of time we were willing to invest.

Ideally, it would be something like Minecraft in terms of crafting and exploration but have a meaningful PvE component so that we could work towards goals beyond our own vanity projects. We're also juggling competing schedules so it should have solo as well as cooperative components, so I'm thinking most MMOs wouldn't work. Like, we can all group up for stuff on a Friday night but if any one of us logs in during off-hours through the week then we can still have fun solo. PvP is fine but nobody wants to spend the time to get good against whippersnappers, or deal with offline raiding a la Rust.

We're currently considering either The Forest or 7 Days to Die but I'm wondering if there's anything we're overlooking.

e.
I should note that we can host our own server if need be so we don't necessarily have to rely on public servers.

Obviously Valheim or V Rising, if you haven't done those then do them. They're great.

Regarding your listed options, my group started both The Forest and 7 Days To Die recently and 7DTD felt a lot closer to what we wanted and probably also what you're looking for. The Forest has some base building stuff and is theoretically story driven, but we ended up getting bored of it after 10 or so hours. There's not a whole lot of depth in the base building or crafting and there's no real character progression aside from what you have in your gear, so once you've got the basics down you're just in it for the story (which wasn't compelling enough to keep us playing). I suspect The Forest is probably better played single player than multiplayer since the monsters present more of a challenge and the creepy elements aren't lessened by a few other dudes laughing at it in voice chat.

Meanwhile we're still playing 7 Days To Die after a month, which is pretty rare for this group.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Also try the Undead Legacy mod for 7D2D for a total revamp of the system.
All crafted weapons start at base level and need to be upgraded
Most items repaired at a bench rather than the super expensive repair kit
Besides putting points into weapons they also level by using them which gives other perks.
It adds like 8 more crafting benches
Most vehicles are already on the road, but now you need to craft repair kits
Generally just a bit harder and slower the level than standard 7d2d
Inventory slots are near endless, but handled by weight
Many recipes not found dont come from points into that branch, but by scrapping recipes for research points and used at the research station

https://ul.subquake.com/

OgNar fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 30, 2022

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Saul Kain posted:

So, I'm looking for a game to play, I want it to have a focus on collecting cool artifacts and bringing them back to my player base. Think like a wizard who goes out searching for powerful magical artifacts or someone who has a private collection of something. Anything spring to mind that scratches that itch? Preferably open world. I'm thinking I might have to mod Skyrim and play it again.

I do really wish the museum mod had been a thing (or I guess that I was aware of it) when I played Skyrim. I can't imagine trying to go back to it now, but I'm right there with you that collecting poo poo to put on display is too much fun.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'm looking for a good 4X and/or or turn based strategy set in medieval times/middle ages that can run on a lovely laptop. Looking for historical not fantasy please.

Burned out on civ

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Age of Wonders 3. Fantastic strategy game, huge replayability.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

AoW is fantasy, unfortunately.

The obvious one is Crusader Kings 2, although it might have performance issues in the late game.

Anno 1404 is quite good.

It isn’t technically a 4x but I would keep an eye on Farthest Frontier which looks to be a medieval settlement sim.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I played some Infested Planet and had a lot of fun with it, especially the planetary campaign dlc where you have a procedural campaign with a meta layer.

What is else there in terms of RTS games with procedural campaigns of some sort? Preferably something that came out in the last 10 years because I already played Dark Crusade to death.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

I'm looking for a good 4X and/or or turn based strategy set in medieval times/middle ages that can run on a lovely laptop. Looking for historical not fantasy please.

Burned out on civ

There are a number of games available on geforce now, such as old world, crusader kings III, anno series, etc. Latency obviously isn't an issue and if you don't want to pay it's not a huge deal to restart these games every hour.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Time for yet another weird, abstract itch I've had. I can't tell if this is my usual overly-pontificating bullshit or just something tangible that I lack a singular, concrete way to describe it. What I'm looking for are games that capture a specific sublime sensation. My go-to word for it is "evocative" but you could also describe it less pretentiously as "personality" or "flavor" or even just "cool" but really I find none of these words exactly match what I mean because it's a greater gestalt of theme and style.

To actually describe it, it's when a game exactly nails a concept. It translates something perfectly not merely using its mechanics but also its flavor, a full-spectrum of the gameplay being fun just as much as the visual design (even through something as minor and underrated as iconography) in a way that's memorable and clever. It's almost like in Portal 2, the Part Where He Kills You, where every last element of the scene is working in service of the joke and reinforcing it. Except instead it's about fully embodying a concept or character, however abstract or fantastical.

This isn't merely "games where you can do a cool move and the bad guy's head pops off" or "this ability lets you blow up an entire city block like an angry god" it's more all-encompassing than that. It's a fire elemental class who can use fire spells, the fire spells sound interesting and full of potential just from the names and descriptions on a menu or an icon on a skill tree, either/both/all dripping with flavor, using them feels good and looks cool, and then it turns out each one feeds into the next somehow. (And gently caress it, I dunno, Dan Forden pops in from the side of the screen and goes "Toasty!" when you get a multi-kill.) Just huge amounts of synergy in every possible sense that fully sells the idea.

Some various genres and how they slot into this concept in my head:

- Fighting games are often a strong example, with the unfortunate problem being that I usually don't like playing them. :sweatdrop: Pick a character from something like Skullgirls and you'll see the kind of thing I mean though. Off the top my head, there's also Guilty Gear's Venom with the whole billiards gimmick. But really most anime fighters revel in their increasingly over the top yet thought out character designs.
- Weirdly I find character action games ala Devil May Cry to not quite fit despite what you might otherwise think. The latter DMCs have a little of it, but they run on a more general Rule of Cool with sprinkled-in bits of inspired ideas (Nero's revving sword, lots of V's schitck in 5).
- Musous on the other hand are lousy with this kind of thing. As are other games based on shonen animes, where every character has their own Thing which gets translated into a whole moveset.
- MOBAs are another easy example. Characters with predefined kits, with an assumed gameplay loop, usually tied up in a specific theme or style.
- ARPGs, despite having a dazzling array of abilities and unique effects, often bury them under all of the mathematical precision and statistical porn. It's not merely about having lots of choices to pick from or abilities that are numerically strong. As a very, very specific example Diablo 3 had the Crusader, which had a mobility skill that had them hop on a warhorse and ride off, and then as an augment to that skill it would grab a couple of enemies and drag them behind you. Memorable and funny, but also ineffectual and not even remotely the cornerstone of a build or the class in general. Instead those were things like "press this button to get 300% armor for 30 seconds". Overall, lighter hack 'n' slashes in the vein of the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games are a much better match.
- In a similar vein, there's plenty of open world games with RPG elements that I think have glimpses of it (like say, Prototype or Infamous), while in contrast more niche RPG hybrid games like immersive sims are more hit or miss. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines puts in a decent effort with the different clans and how they're expressed. You can also make the argument that something like the Arkham games or the newer Spiderman with how they "make you feel just like" those characters apply, but immersion isn't strictly the goal here.
- Card games often use this as their bread and butter, since they need to communicate ideas within the boundaries of a tiny little piece of cardboard (or virtual cardboard) and a grab-bag of game mechanics. I'm sure there's countless examples of Magic the Gathering cards that nail this, while I'm rather fond of Ascension for the same thing. Slay the Spire isn't chockablock with it, but it's definitely there as well.

And to be clear, this isn't just a long-winded way of saying I want class-based games, it's just that class-based games trade in this sort of thing because they need to distinguish one class from another, so theming ends up being a big factor. You could readily argue for something like Thief or even something more loosey goosey like Call of Juarez: Gunslinger.

Part of why it's hard to pin down is that even a lot of the games I love that do have it, don't have it universally element. My beloved City of Heroes has near limitless variety and lots of fun abilities, but most of the time I find myself injecting the bulk of the personality via extensive customization. I've been playing a lot of EDF lately and that has really distinct classes, but at the end of the day all four of them share many of the same kind of options - an assault rifle, two handheld miniguns, a rapid-fire energy weapon, and vehicles with turrets are all technically different but can all still be summed up as "cool machine gun to shoot at giant bugs".

I think a common problem is that games tend to have very rigid mechanical baselines. So like with fighting games, especially crappier/older ones, the special moves are special, sure, but then they might phone in the normals. RPGs often adhere to a strict sense of progression; you don't find giant elder god Pokemon in the grass outside the starting town. And even when it comes to reality-warping elder god Pokemon, they're never going to have more than four moves or some other wild twist on the core gameplay.

To end with a very nutshell example: Doom Eternal's Super Shotgun. For starters, it's the super shotgun, already a very kinaesthetically pleasing weapon right from the get-go. But for Eternal they added a grappling hook to it that lets you attach yourself to demons and reel yourself into optimal super shotgun range. But on top of that, the grappling hook gets an upgrade that makes it set enemies on fire, which by the fundamental laws of Doom Eternal causes enemies to practically sweat armor drops and produce even more if they die while burning. Armor drops that are the perfect sort of boost you might want if you just zipped yourself into close range with a demon. Each element builds and feeds into this perfect little loop.

Usually I'm worried that I've failed to get my point across, but this time I'm more worried somebody is going to swoop and effortlessly summarize everything I just said in three words or less and I'll feel the fool. :v:

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I couldn’t really understand what you meant by all that but Vampire Survivors is really good and you could try that

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Chinook posted:

I couldn’t really understand what you meant by all that but Vampire Survivors is really good and you could try that

It captures the sublime sensation of Number Go Up

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Chinook posted:

Not a terrible shot in the dark, but unfortunately I've long since 100%ed Vampire Survivors. :v:

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Time for yet another weird, abstract itch I've had. I can't tell if this is my usual overly-pontificating bullshit or just something tangible that I lack a singular, concrete way to describe it. What I'm looking for are games that capture a specific sublime sensation. My go-to word for it is "evocative" but you could also describe it less pretentiously as "personality" or "flavor" or even just "cool" but really I find none of these words exactly match what I mean because it's a greater gestalt of theme and style.

To actually describe it, it's when a game exactly nails a concept. It translates something perfectly not merely using its mechanics but also its flavor, a full-spectrum of the gameplay being fun just as much as the visual design (even through something as minor and underrated as iconography) in a way that's memorable and clever. It's almost like in Portal 2, the Part Where He Kills You, where every last element of the scene is working in service of the joke and reinforcing it. Except instead it's about fully embodying a concept or character, however abstract or fantastical.

This isn't merely "games where you can do a cool move and the bad guy's head pops off" or "this ability lets you blow up an entire city block like an angry god" it's more all-encompassing than that. It's a fire elemental class who can use fire spells, the fire spells sound interesting and full of potential just from the names and descriptions on a menu or an icon on a skill tree, either/both/all dripping with flavor, using them feels good and looks cool, and then it turns out each one feeds into the next somehow. (And gently caress it, I dunno, Dan Forden pops in from the side of the screen and goes "Toasty!" when you get a multi-kill.) Just huge amounts of synergy in every possible sense that fully sells the idea.

Some various genres and how they slot into this concept in my head:

- Fighting games are often a strong example, with the unfortunate problem being that I usually don't like playing them. :sweatdrop: Pick a character from something like Skullgirls and you'll see the kind of thing I mean though. Off the top my head, there's also Guilty Gear's Venom with the whole billiards gimmick. But really most anime fighters revel in their increasingly over the top yet thought out character designs.
- Weirdly I find character action games ala Devil May Cry to not quite fit despite what you might otherwise think. The latter DMCs have a little of it, but they run on a more general Rule of Cool with sprinkled-in bits of inspired ideas (Nero's revving sword, lots of V's schitck in 5).
- Musous on the other hand are lousy with this kind of thing. As are other games based on shonen animes, where every character has their own Thing which gets translated into a whole moveset.
- MOBAs are another easy example. Characters with predefined kits, with an assumed gameplay loop, usually tied up in a specific theme or style.
- ARPGs, despite having a dazzling array of abilities and unique effects, often bury them under all of the mathematical precision and statistical porn. It's not merely about having lots of choices to pick from or abilities that are numerically strong. As a very, very specific example Diablo 3 had the Crusader, which had a mobility skill that had them hop on a warhorse and ride off, and then as an augment to that skill it would grab a couple of enemies and drag them behind you. Memorable and funny, but also ineffectual and not even remotely the cornerstone of a build or the class in general. Instead those were things like "press this button to get 300% armor for 30 seconds". Overall, lighter hack 'n' slashes in the vein of the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games are a much better match.
- In a similar vein, there's plenty of open world games with RPG elements that I think have glimpses of it (like say, Prototype or Infamous), while in contrast more niche RPG hybrid games like immersive sims are more hit or miss. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines puts in a decent effort with the different clans and how they're expressed. You can also make the argument that something like the Arkham games or the newer Spiderman with how they "make you feel just like" those characters apply, but immersion isn't strictly the goal here.
- Card games often use this as their bread and butter, since they need to communicate ideas within the boundaries of a tiny little piece of cardboard (or virtual cardboard) and a grab-bag of game mechanics. I'm sure there's countless examples of Magic the Gathering cards that nail this, while I'm rather fond of Ascension for the same thing. Slay the Spire isn't chockablock with it, but it's definitely there as well.

And to be clear, this isn't just a long-winded way of saying I want class-based games, it's just that class-based games trade in this sort of thing because they need to distinguish one class from another, so theming ends up being a big factor. You could readily argue for something like Thief or even something more loosey goosey like Call of Juarez: Gunslinger.

Part of why it's hard to pin down is that even a lot of the games I love that do have it, don't have it universally element. My beloved City of Heroes has near limitless variety and lots of fun abilities, but most of the time I find myself injecting the bulk of the personality via extensive customization. I've been playing a lot of EDF lately and that has really distinct classes, but at the end of the day all four of them share many of the same kind of options - an assault rifle, two handheld miniguns, a rapid-fire energy weapon, and vehicles with turrets are all technically different but can all still be summed up as "cool machine gun to shoot at giant bugs".

I think a common problem is that games tend to have very rigid mechanical baselines. So like with fighting games, especially crappier/older ones, the special moves are special, sure, but then they might phone in the normals. RPGs often adhere to a strict sense of progression; you don't find giant elder god Pokemon in the grass outside the starting town. And even when it comes to reality-warping elder god Pokemon, they're never going to have more than four moves or some other wild twist on the core gameplay.

To end with a very nutshell example: Doom Eternal's Super Shotgun. For starters, it's the super shotgun, already a very kinaesthetically pleasing weapon right from the get-go. But for Eternal they added a grappling hook to it that lets you attach yourself to demons and reel yourself into optimal super shotgun range. But on top of that, the grappling hook gets an upgrade that makes it set enemies on fire, which by the fundamental laws of Doom Eternal causes enemies to practically sweat armor drops and produce even more if they die while burning. Armor drops that are the perfect sort of boost you might want if you just zipped yourself into close range with a demon. Each element builds and feeds into this perfect little loop.

Usually I'm worried that I've failed to get my point across, but this time I'm more worried somebody is going to swoop and effortlessly summarize everything I just said in three words or less and I'll feel the fool. :v:

If you don't mind your game having a bunch of story attached, you might like Cyberpunk 2077. Between skills, cyberware, and weapons there's quite a bit of variety in the way you can build your character, but they all make sense thematically. You can shoot people in slowmo, you can make a super fast dodgy character and slice people up in melee, you can be really stealthy and use takedowns and thrown knives and silenced weapons, or you can be a hacker and hack people through security cams and have everyone be dead before you even enter the building.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

John Murdoch posted:

Ape Out (gorilla captured by evil scientists)
Rain World (you're prey, but you're smart prey)
Deep Rock Galactic (dwarves)
Sekiro (ninja, only Fromsoft game I would ever recommend on this criteria, might address your issues re: character action)

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
If you're looking for the successful execution of a game concept through game mechanics, Pathologic 2 and the original Pathologic really capture the struggle for survival amidst a plague outbreak in a turn of the 20th century backwater Russian steppe town with mystical elements.

Now I'll caution that the feeling of surviving in a plague infested town is not exactly a good feeling. It's a desperate struggle you feel like you're constantly almost losing. But there's an immense satisfaction to it. And the mystical setting, characters, and story are extremely well written.

Rock Paper Shotgun has an old but very good article series describing what I'm talking about :
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/butchering-pathologic-part-1-the-body

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Outer Wilds would be my recommendation.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

You've probably already played it, but Disco Elysium is also a great RPG where character, story, and setting all meld together to become greater than the sum of its parts and unified in their message. I highly recommend it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

thekeeshman posted:

If you don't mind your game having a bunch of story attached, you might like Cyberpunk 2077. Between skills, cyberware, and weapons there's quite a bit of variety in the way you can build your character, but they all make sense thematically. You can shoot people in slowmo, you can make a super fast dodgy character and slice people up in melee, you can be really stealthy and use takedowns and thrown knives and silenced weapons, or you can be a hacker and hack people through security cams and have everyone be dead before you even enter the building.
Alas, Cyberpunk is completely off the table due to personal reasons.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Ape Out (gorilla captured by evil scientists)
Rain World (you're prey, but you're smart prey)
Deep Rock Galactic (dwarves)
Sekiro (ninja, only Fromsoft game I would ever recommend on this criteria, might address your issues re: character action)
I'm not quite sure I see it in DRG, but the rest aren't bad. :hmmyes: Sekiro is the one I'm most familiar with and I wouldn't have even quite thought of it in this context, but yeah, definitely. I was actually expecting somebody to say Ghosts of Tsushima for similar reasons, not that I can play it currently anyway.

Cantorsdust posted:

If you're looking for the successful execution of a game concept through game mechanics, Pathologic 2 and the original Pathologic really capture the struggle for survival amidst a plague outbreak in a turn of the 20th century backwater Russian steppe town with mystical elements.

Now I'll caution that the feeling of surviving in a plague infested town is not exactly a good feeling. It's a desperate struggle you feel like you're constantly almost losing. But there's an immense satisfaction to it. And the mystical setting, characters, and story are extremely well written.
Oof, I'm familiar enough with them to say they're maybe a half-step to the left of what I'm looking for but also moreso it's just not the kind of experience I'd enjoy. Kinda the same thing with Rain World, actually. I'll preemptively say This War of Mine as well.

Saul Kain posted:

Outer Wilds would be my recommendation.
Y'know, at this point Outer Wilds is downright haunting me. I'm pretty sure it's come up in response to some of my other out of left field requests before, or otherwise it comes up ITT all the time, and it sounds like something that's right up my alley to a near literally painful degree...but I've also heard juuuust enough minor quibbles and complaints and combined with the stratospheric levels of hype it's all kept me far too tentative to actually play the drat thing. :ohdear: See also: Hollow Knight.

Cantorsdust posted:

You've probably already played it, but Disco Elysium is also a great RPG where character, story, and setting all meld together to become greater than the sum of its parts and unified in their message. I highly recommend it.
DE is another quality game, but I think it also misses the mark here. It certainly has an oblique nature to it, but I never got the sense that its raw mechanics had a depth that matched the writing. I also got the sense that it has a bit of that "build your own fun from these discrete parts" quality that a lot of other RPGs tend to have, albeit expressed in a very off-beat way.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Stop overthinking it and play Outer Wilds you coward

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Outer Wilds is the perfect crystallization of everything the Sierra adventure game genre was striving towards and didn't have the tech or game design knowledge to actually achieve. If you're completely uninterested in even the promise of that kind of game, it won't do anything for you, but if you ever felt disappointed by Myst or The Journeyman Project or Syberia or whatever, it's game of the decade material.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah I'll third Outer Wilds. I would have mentioned it in my second post if it hadn't already been suggested.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if I understand the request correctly, and if Outer Wilds won't work for whatever reason:

Celeste
Untitled Goose Game
Return of the Obra Dinn
Gris
Hypnospace Outlaw
Inscryption
Chicory: A Colorful Tale
Tunic
Ultrakill
A Short Hike

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 3, 2022

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Play Outer Wilds and then Obra Dinn. Both are exquisite games.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I keep on thinking of Arkham Asylum.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Re: evocative :words:

Metal Gear Rising is "cutscene bullshit Raiden from MGS4 except they have him controllable somehow" and you feel like a badass ninja cyborg guy once you get the hang of it, stylishly cutting enemies to ribbons (literally, if you are especially playful with the execution system).

Monster Hunter World nails everything it wants to be. The monsters and their gorgeous animations are the star of the show, and the game oozes charm all over, from the sense of otherworldly wonder as you explore the beautiful biomes, the understated sense of humor (everybody's kind of a weirdo, but they play it straight; similar to EDF, these weirdos do not see themselves as a joke, which makes it even more charming), the anthropomorphic cat chefs with choreographed cooking routines... there's really nothing else like it. Monster Hunter Rise is also great, but I think World is a better intro to the series, tonally.

Mark of the Ninja is designed to feel like what your inner child thinks being a sneaky ninja is like. The optional developer commentary goes into the thought processes behind several design decisions, such as how they initially had a deeper combat system, but ultimately removed most of it because playtesters were relying on it and ignoring stealth, and that's not the game they wanted to make. I appreciate a dev team that doesn't give in to the sunk cost fallacy.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

SlothfulCobra posted:

I keep on thinking of Arkham Asylum.

Agreed. You are the goddamn Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
I really liked the game Moonlighter. Something about the dungeon crawling to find items and than selling them in the shop really did it for me. Is there anything else that's like that? Or what type of game that would be called? I know that the dungeon crawling part is called a rouge-like, but what about the selling in the shop part?