Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

ˇAragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (December 12-18, 1983)

That Sunday strip isn't a rerun, btw. It was obviously drawn during the early days of the strip, but for whatever reason it didn't get published until a year later.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mister Beeg posted:

Arnold (December 12-18, 1983)

That Sunday strip isn't a rerun, btw. It was obviously drawn during the early days of the strip, but for whatever reason it didn't get published until a year later.

Those last two panels are a solid punchline.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
It's always fun reading speculation about Haraiso Days - as I keep saying, a lot of what I unironically love about Maruoka's comics is how you know where it's going to go but have a good time getting there anyway.

Cthulhu and Girl

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
How does he still have both eyes?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Because Anime.
E: In fairness to him, it's both actually worse than I was expecting, and you're still pretty what are you complaining about motherfucker

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Because Anime.
E: In fairness to him, it's both actually worse than I was expecting, and you're still pretty what are you complaining about motherfucker

Now people think he's a Scary Thug (TM)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (September 14-16, 1922)

Toonerville Folks (December 8-10, 1919)

Dok's Dippy False Flag (or whatever the hell this is supposed to represent) (May 1, 1914)

Note the full, Emmett Brown-style head of unkempt white hair, which looks nothing like anything that could've sprung from the shiny pate of Victoriano Huerta in 1914.

Little Lefty (April 19-21, 1937)

Blondie From Zero (October 6-8, 1932)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 3, 2022

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Oct 9, 1953)

See, maybe if you kept up your friendship with Shermy instead of hanging out with Lucy and her brother all day you'd actually get to kick the ball once in a while.

Calvin and Hobbes (Apr 6-7, 1992)

The 6 year old's imaginary friend is correct about the devil and the nature of man imo.

Big Nate

Blind Alley

Oof.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mister Beeg posted:

Arnold (December 10, 1983)
I initially read the first panel as Arnold referring to Tommy as "king of beasts".

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life
Someone needs to stop this man. Do whatever it takes.

EasyEW posted:

Blondie From Zero (October 6-8, 1932)
What could the detective do to stop the wedding anyway? And why are the police getting involved? Just because Bumstead is rich so they're doing him a favour?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 26, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Don't quite know why this tickled me so, but...

In today's Blueberry: El Tigre ain't looking so hot, or Man, this comic really does not believe in honour amongst thieves, does it?, or Garcia, showing the entrepreneurial (read: stupid) spirit of starting work at around 0400...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

L-Innsikt

Pondus

Storefri

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

EasyEW posted:

"Suffers from heart attacks" is a hell of a phrase.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Tiggum posted:

What could the detective do to stop the wedding anyway? And why are the police getting involved? Just because Bumstead is rich so they're doing him a favour?

I don't know, but I'm greatly enjoying the detective's first instinct is just to try and kill Dagwood.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True July 31, 1919

And He Did! August 13, 1919

Cat Tales July 16, 1925

Oaky Doaks January 7, 1937

Mopsy March 23, 1938

Sweatin’ It Out August 9, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems September 27, 1952

Those Were the Days May 3, 1962

Wee Pals September 30, 1966

Dogbert August 9, 1967

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

WWWWWWHHHYYYYY do these cities get to control and decide things, and not, y'know, entire countries. Or the goddamn UN. God I hate this whole story

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

idk maybe he shouldn't have smashed odin's statue

With the way this is going divine retribution doesn't seem all that crazy.

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 01, 1953)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Vargo posted:

WWWWWWHHHYYYYY do these cities get to control and decide things, and not, y'know, entire countries. Or the goddamn UN. God I hate this whole story
Or just distribute the cases that make unlimited quantities of infinite salad bowls to, like, food banks and similar organisations worldwide and let them handle it from there?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

All the coffee shops going out of business because some dude figured out that "a bunch of weed" is technically a salad

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

With the way this is going divine retribution doesn't seem all that crazy.

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 01, 1953)

Well, it's been a good run but I guess we're nearing the end of Prince Valiant.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Slammy posted:

Cat Tales July 16, 1925

This one works perfect if you read it as a proto-Achewood and this is Roast Beef.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

goatface posted:

How does he still have both eyes?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Because Anime.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

EasyEW posted:

Unless I miss my guess, this guy is a human alarm clock. No idea they had these anywhere in the US.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think he's a knocker-upper, I think he's using the crook to close windows so the people who have had a cool room all night don't have to get out of bed with the window open.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Not all heroes wear capes. :patriot: Cheers, window man.

Jucika "436 - Jucika's Dress Thus Became A Trend"

"437 - Jucika's Net Swimsuit" NSFW Nudity

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

goatface posted:

I don't think he's a knocker-upper, I think he's using the crook to close windows so the people who have had a cool room all night don't have to get out of bed with the window open.

Kind of like The Old Lamp-Lighter (of long, long ago)...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqsEOg-a6MI

To (hopefully) wrap up this pestilence-filled week in the Funkyverse, Three Cheers For Feeling Sorry For Ourselves!

That's okay, Holly, all that time we burned licking old wounds would've only been spent catching up with people we grew up with who actually escaped. No big loss.

Meanwhile, please enjoy A Bunch Of Technobabble That We Hope Makes Sense.

"Or just patch the tape playback directly into the feed. We're trying to beat the clock." "Oh come on! We voted down the union, and the last thing I'm going to do is make all this look simple!"

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (September 6, 1975)

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (April 5, 1939)

Out Our Way goes looking for "I Didn't Raise My Boy To Be A Soldier" in the piano bench. (October 2-4, 1939)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Amusingly the crow's onomatopoeia in the original is what the Finns nowadays use for duck quacks (kvaak) rather than crow caws (kraak).

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

That's okay, Holly, all that time we burned licking old wounds would've only been spent catching up with people we grew up with who actually escaped. No big loss.

I'd bet that Batiuk was an unpopular dweeb in high school, was too intimidated to actually show up at any of his class' reunions, and this is how he imagines things went down: a bunch of old sad sacks having a group therapy session.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

EasyEW posted:

As if anyone who actually escaped Shitburg, Ohio would ever come back willingly.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

this is how he imagines things went down: a bunch of old sad sacks having a group therapy session.

They say write what you know

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

"Why don't you kiss her instead of talking her to death?"

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G Saturday and Sunday

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT MUSES

In other news, Comics Curmudgeon has alerted me to this development in Gil Thorp:

We haven't had Gil Thorp in this thread for a while and it recently got a new writer, so this might be a good time to start posting it again to see how it is. If anyone has any strong opinions one way or the other, now's the time to say them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Batiuk lost me when the most popular queen bee of the class started pretending she "felt left out" without any actual story to it. Wanna show that the person perceived as winning is still having problems? Cool. Just tossed it in and expect anyone to believe it? Nope!

Is there a non-obvious reason Rex couldn't bring his dog with him in his trailer?