Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

:same:

Can you set it up as just a modem and put your own router behind it? Virgin let you do that and they're famously cagey about their equipment.

It uses some weird protocol and is quite finicky as a modem as well apparently. There's a very specific router compatibility (which is the same reason it doesn't play well with a pi-hole). All the routers that are compatible last I checked are also not the cheap and cheerful ones hence :effort:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Z the IVth posted:

The only decent ISP I have available is Sky and their router doesn't like a Pi-hole :orks:

You can just change the DNS settings on each device to the pinhole ip.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yeah, this is where I'm at too. I'm just too latched into the google system to split away easily, I'll have to find a workaround for when this drops.

https://www.howtogeek.com/333047/how-to-migrate-all-your-data-from-chrome-to-firefox/

Bit old but as far as I know the functionality is still there, firefox tries to make it as easy as possible.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

It's easily explained by the fact that Joanne wrote an awful lot of things without considering any possible consequences of them. Because she's deeply uninterested in anything but trans people I assume
Oh no, she's expanded her remit to ableism now!

https://twitter.com/b_m_hughes/status/1565333258241703938?t=qwlzDYkLo7pFibwURL_DcQ&s=19

If you read further down, the Indiana Jones guy's source is the mail, so I'd take it with a gigantic mound of salt if I was you.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Are the Mail pro or anti this particular fascist warlord?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've spent the last couple of hours trying to think why I have the overwhelming impression that eddie dempsey is a turd and just remembered that I think I am thinking of eddie marsan.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Don't worry about pi-holes if all you want is basic blocking of ads, tracking and phishing for devices on your home network.

Somewhere in the chain of your modem/router/hub/whateveraccesspointyouuse DHCP server settings you'll find the primary and secondary DNS servers, pick any two of these four and you'll be laughing.

With this I don't even need adblock on my tablet, ads just don't show up. (There are other solutions for the special case of YouTube.)

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Won't someone think of the influencers and their ad revenue!?!?!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Me, often, and I feel happier for their loss.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Only Kindness posted:

Don't worry about pi-holes if all you want is basic blocking of ads, tracking and phishing for devices on your home network.

Somewhere in the chain of your modem/router/hub/whateveraccesspointyouuse DHCP server settings you'll find the primary and secondary DNS servers, pick any two of these four and you'll be laughing.

With this I don't even need adblock on my tablet, ads just don't show up. (There are other solutions for the special case of YouTube.)
I'm not changing my DNS to random numbers without knowing how this works, what's the deal here?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://alternate-dns.com/

I assume they filter out ad traffic at the DNS level.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Only Kindness posted:

Looks like those last to will go dark sometime in the future as they're rented, new info on their own addresses: https://adguard.com/en/blog/adguard-dns-new-addresses.html

Iv'e never used them, just googled the info out of curiosity. :shobon:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

https://www.howtogeek.com/333047/how-to-migrate-all-your-data-from-chrome-to-firefox/

Bit old but as far as I know the functionality is still there, firefox tries to make it as easy as possible.

I switched from Chrome to Firefox a couple of years ago and it was very stress free. All the passwords, bookmarks etc swap over seamlessly really. I still use Gmail and GDrive with no problems.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

:same:

Can you set it up as just a modem and put your own router behind it? Virgin let you do that and they're famously cagey about their equipment.

Yeah I bought a router and put it behind the one from my ISP. Does add a couple of steps to expose your network stuff to the outside world (if you have Plex or something), but if you're the kind of nerd who wants to do that you'll probably figure it out.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

forkboy84 posted:

Youtube ads really suck, but if you want a real treat try watching stuff on the Chinese site Youku Squarespace! if you sign up with my code in the description below you'll get 10% off your first purchase of a website or domain!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I think someone is clearly angling to become leader of the Labour Party.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/labour-wes-streeting-liz-truss-tories-nhs-b2158969.html

I think they have a cloning factory somewhere and the Jammeister was a limited edition special issue.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wes streeting looks like the kid off the kinder chocolate packaging.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Mebh posted:

I'm still impressed how many replies are people just refusing to believe it, or telling them to just raise their prices or fire some staff.

We are quite the boot licking nation.

There's an unspoken, unexamined, and unconscious belief that "it can't happen here." Things like this don't happen in Britain, this isn't a third world country, etc, blah, getting red in the face while they deny reality.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Bobby Deluxe posted:

If you read further down, the Indiana Jones guy's source is the mail, so I'd take it with a gigantic mound of salt if I was you.
If you are trying to insinuate that he didn't do a victory tour of Donbas, Eddie Dempsey wrote a eulogy about Alexei Mozgovoi, a Moscow backed genocidal leader.

Eddie Dempsey posted:

Commander Mozgovoi had led 3,000 volunteers — incorporating a communist battalion — within his Ghost Brigade, itself a component of the Novorossiya Armed Forces, who have being resisting the so-called Anti-Terrorist Operation of the US/EU-backed Kiev junta for more than a year.

He's a oval office. Maybe the RMT needs cunts like him, but tbh, they could probably vote for someone better to represent them.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Wes streeting looks like the kid off the kinder chocolate packaging.

Wes Streeting looks like a UK city gang member going to court for a hate crime.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

happyhippy posted:

Wes Streeting looks like a UK city gang member going to court for a hate crime.
The first time I saw a photo of Streeting, my instinctive thought was "fash haircut".

Rapidly followed by "he looks like a slimy, untrustworthy fucker."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I hope as he gets closer to the leadership his quiff gets bigger.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

growing larger and larger until it attacks and consumes starmer's, leaving him bald & bereft

Mebh
May 10, 2010

His face just gets bigger and bigger until it consumes us all.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
What did Streeting do to earn the title Mc Shitter? A quick Google only revealed the arson of a pet shop

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/Mr_Considerate/status/1317156327379116040

fuctifino posted:

If you are trying to insinuate that he didn't do a victory tour of Donbas, Eddie Dempsey wrote a eulogy about Alexei Mozgovoi, a Moscow backed genocidal leader.

He's a oval office. Maybe the RMT needs cunts like him, but tbh, they could probably vote for someone better to represent them.
That was from May 2015, so I'd hardly call it a victory tour, it was at the height of violent clashes where ethnic minorities were being burned alive in trade union halls by neo-Nazis.

I'm sure that the ethnic militia commander was also a problematic figure, but it's not the same as showing up during 2022 to pull the same thing.

And it's not like the guy is now a genocide man, on account of him being dead for a few years, so it doesn't even hit the "in retrospect..." standards of

I don't even really rate it on the same level as the McShitter above in terms of misguided stanning.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

https://twitter.com/Mr_Considerate/status/1317156327379116040

That was from May 2015, so I'd hardly call it a victory tour, it was at the height of violent clashes where ethnic minorities were being burned alive in trade union halls by neo-Nazis.

I'm sure that the ethnic militia commander was also a problematic figure, but it's not the same as showing up during 2022 to pull the same thing.

And it's not like the guy is now a genocide man, on account of him being dead for a few years, so it doesn't even hit the "in retrospect..." standards of

I don't even really rate it on the same level as the McShitter above in terms of misguided stanning.

Meh. I'm with fuctifino. Getting all heart-eyes about anyone Moscow-backed in 2015 is pure shite. It's not like in 2015 we didn't know what 'Moscow-backed' meant. He might be good on TV and he might be a lefty but that doesn't make him a good human.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is anyone getting all heart eyes about him? I just see a bunch of people who thought Jews did 9/11 and a bunch of rags who've praised everyone from Mussolini to Pinochet in their time trying to use it as a reason that we shouldn't trust anything he says about Britain in 2022.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Is anyone getting all heart eyes about him? I just see a bunch of people who thought Jews did 9/11 and a bunch of rags who've praised everyone from Mussolini to Pinochet in their time trying to use it as a reason that we shouldn't trust anything he says about Britain in 2022.

You mean... apart from the whole 'Lynch and Dempsey should run the country' thing that happened after they were on the television when the first wave of strikes kicked off?

Stopped clocks, and all that. He's not wrong that the working class is getting utterly hosed. But shilling for a Moscow-backed warlord in 2015 suggests an eye-watering lack of judgment or awareness that surely makes one wonder what other blind spots he has, and then it turns out that one of his other blind spots is people of colour, at which point I struggle to see him as anything other than—as fuctifino put it—a oval office.

And call me old-fashioned, but I don't think cunts should be in positions of power.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I just wish that the left were better at platforming people

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

forkboy84 posted:

IMO the Irish shouldn't have their own national team if they are under the purview of the British. Outrageous.

It's easily explained by the fact that Joanne wrote an awful lot of things without considering any possible consequences of them. Because she's deeply uninterested in anything but trans people I assume

I'm not so sure.

Like okay let's assume you are a really lazy, hackish writer.
You have an international tournament and are using it as an excuse of bringing people from around your fictional world into the story.
So you have the team from Bulgaria show up and you decide to have a politician from Bulgaria travel with the team.
Okay, it's not super original, but it makes sense. And you can use it later to tie into your overall narrative about how the political classes are blind to the threat of Voldermort.

Then you introduce the Irish team...and you have them lead by an English politician. Like why? Why not just have an Irish wizard or something leading them?

At best it's a baffling choice.
At worst it's playing into that thing that all some English people think, that Ireland is really still a part of the UK/it's is playing at being independent but longs to go back to being a part of the Empire.

The fact that Rowling later went onto campaign against Scottish Independence when combined with the passage from her book, says a lot about her thoughts on the UK's relationship with it's neighbours.

I mean it's not the worst thing she has done. But it does bug me.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Bigotry rarely rides alone. She's a TERF and a wannabe imperialist.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would suggest it's pretty consistent with her basically having "the asian wizard school" which pulls presumably everyone from the entire continent and is located in I think Japan, and has fewer students than the british wizard school for some reason.

I do not know if joanne understands what politics are.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jeherrin posted:

You mean... apart from the whole 'Lynch and Dempsey should run the country' thing that happened after they were on the television when the first wave of strikes kicked off?
Honestly, I can't say I've seen that.

I saw plenty of people praise Lynch's uncompromising interview style, and lots of back and forth on Dempsey's speech about how if communities feel they've been ignored they'll follow the first charismatic bigot to pay attention to them (is the speech racist, or is it just describing an unfortunate fact about how racists play people?) but not that they should be running the country.

Even if so I don't think either has said anything exceptionally bad by the standards of the people who are currently running the country, but yeah giving two people we don't know much about the reigns of power based on a couple of strong speeches probably isn't the best idea, going by history. They're probably better as union leaders, until such a point that their members decide that they're not.

The Question IRL posted:

Like why? Why not just have an Irish wizard or something leading them?
You've seen how she writes Asian and Jewish characters, do you really want the team led by Irish bishop-wizard Paedo O'Drunk?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

reminder that the most prominent Irish character in harry potter is seamus finnegan, who keeps accidentally blowing things up

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Genuinely I don't think she understands that people have actual material differences with each other.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
It occurred to me that the Harry Potter universe is completely devoid of any culture. There are no wizard novels, or plays. There are paintings but they're purely portraiture. The children at school do purely practical work on magic. They do not study languages or literature.

poo poo world for unimaginative cunts.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's one book of fairy stories of which we get to hear exactly one, in the final book, because it's relevant to the plot, and it turns out to not be fiction within the story it's just true

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Jeherrin posted:

And call me old-fashioned, but I don't think cunts should be in positions of power.

every time a figurehead emerges above the parapet of left wing ideology, the ancient westminster dredging machines begin to turn to scrape up anything and everything they can on them and their past. Then they post it all on twitter and just like flinging poo poo at a wall, eventually something sticks and then that's it. we all collectively throw our arms up and abandon all hope and interest in that movement. meanwhile, the material conditions of existence for anyone outside of the 1% steadily deteriorate, the planet warms another quarter degree, and the cycle begins anew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

kecske posted:

every time a figurehead emerges above the parapet of left wing ideology, the ancient westminster dredging machines begin to turn to scrape up anything and everything they can on them and their past. Then they post it all on twitter and just like flinging poo poo at a wall, eventually something sticks and then that's it. we all collectively throw our arms up and abandon all hope and interest in that movement. meanwhile, the material conditions of existence for anyone outside of the 1% steadily deteriorate, the planet warms another quarter degree, and the cycle begins anew.

Yeah for real. Eddie Dempsey probably is a oval office... but that doesn't actually invalidate the things he's arguing for re: workers' rights.