Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

Image is a link to an album of what's in the log.

That's pretty fucken sweet I must say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
slam dem bars yooooo :rice::synthy:

(Had to remove the bars to loosen off the steering head cap nut to make another go of fixing the front end; it's certainly improved now though I'm not sure it's perfectly straight. Whatever, it'll do and if it needs further work it'll get picked up on at MOT.)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

How often do you drop bolts down the gaps in your decking?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Only three times so far, but yeah it's terrible. It's getting ripped out at some point and replaced with a concrete slab and metal shed to keep the bikes in (which was supposed to happen this year but we've run out of free time to see it done, so it'll not be til next spring now)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sold it today. Very bittersweet. Good price but I hated leaving it in the lot for the last time :|

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

right arm posted:

Lol california

lol he's in Switzerland

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jazzzzz posted:

lol he's in Switzerland

ah, european california

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

right arm posted:

ah, european california

The surf culture isn't quite as strong there.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Finger Prince posted:

The surf culture isn't quite as strong there.

Gun culture is also quite a bit stronger there.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Where does the incomprehensible pseudo language come in play in California though

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Where does the incomprehensible pseudo language come in play in California though

Don't say that about Italian!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

Taishanese

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

My wife spotted a box sitting in the rain on our back deck last night. No idea how long it’s been sitting there. Thanks delivery dude! But you could have read the instructions and put it in the parcel box next to the front door…

Coincidentally, it’s Father’s Day today and what was in the box is a B&B off-road rear rack. It’s nearly like it’s not there.

Now I need to find a knockoff pelican box and design or find a quick release mechanism. Then off to the dadbike thread.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Spark plugs and PAIR delete. Plugs were trivial other than #3 which was a little tight, but moving the coil out of the way and using the spark plug tool in the factory tool kit made it easy enough. The plugs were all barely finger tight so that was cool, more fun from the hacks the PO had working on this thing. Probably tightened by the same moron who tightened the drain plug that disappeared on me when I was riding it home after purchase.

Also wired up a relay and installed a USB port. Trying some VHB first as I really don't want to drill into the frame and there's not really a better place to put it. Also prewired for heated grips I have coming so that should be a pretty quick install.

opengl fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 4, 2022

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

opengl128 posted:

The plugs were all barely finger tight so that was cool, more fun from the hacks the PO had working on this thing. Probably tightened by the same moron who tightened the drain plug that disappeared on me when I was riding it home after purchase.

To be honest, I'd rather have fighter-tight spark plugs than gorilla-wrenched plugs. It's fine if a plug unscrews itself, then you can just screw it back in after dealing with the noise. Too tight and you might be looking at a helicoil job.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Horse Clocks posted:

My wife spotted a box sitting in the rain on our back deck last night. No idea how long it’s been sitting there. Thanks delivery dude! But you could have read the instructions and put it in the parcel box next to the front door…

Coincidentally, it’s Father’s Day today and what was in the box is a B&B off-road rear rack. It’s nearly like it’s not there.

Now I need to find a knockoff pelican box and design or find a quick release mechanism. Then off to the dadbike thread.

Ok. That’s slick; do they do side racks for panniers, or am I missing something with off road soft luggage.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
New clutch cable and oil change. I wasn't at the Honda specified oil change interval but man does the gearbox feel nice all of a sudden.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Slide Hammer posted:

To be honest, I'd rather have fighter-tight spark plugs than gorilla-wrenched plugs. It's fine if a plug unscrews itself, then you can just screw it back in after dealing with the noise. Too tight and you might be looking at a helicoil job.

Agreed!

I randomly threw a clutch cover on a parts order a while back since it was cheap, even though it was indefinitely backordered and I never expected it to ship. Lo and behold it randomly showed up today 2 months later. I was briefly tempted to sit on it since mine wasn't that bad from the PO, but I couldn't resist throwing it on. New screws too for good measure.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Replacement baffle arrived so I reinstalled those, cranked the screws in with red loctite. Looking forward to next week's commute being significantly less ear-splitting.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Grip heaters and new grips. Kind of annoyed, I've used these same heaters on 3 bikes now, and they used to ship them with a bracket for the round rocker switch if you don't have a fairing or similar to drill a hole and mount it in.

That's what it looked like on my Street Triple. Since they don't include it anymore I got a universal handlebar mounted switch. It's functional but a little chunky for me. May keep an eye out for a cleaner solution, or could probably fab something up since its really just a bracket with 2 different sized holes on it.

Went with the same Pro Grips I put on my Ninja 250...checks notes...over 15 years ago (gently caress me), since I really liked them then. Wiring was pretty simple since I prewired for these when I installed the relay and the USB port.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That's so much better looking than the 80s style controller Oxford uses.

Maybe I'm just precious, but I don't think I could live with that.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

best I’ve seen outside of OEM integrated ones (KTM, BMW, etc) are the koso apollo ones

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

That's so much better looking than the 80s style controller Oxford uses.

Maybe I'm just precious, but I don't think I could live with that.

And you'd think being big and clunky would equate to reliability but they gently caress out for no reason all the time!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

right arm posted:

best I’ve seen outside of OEM integrated ones (KTM, BMW, etc) are the koso apollo ones

They lasted like six months before the rubber grippy poo poo wore away.
I trimmed them down and slipped foamies over.
https://imgur.com/a/f1Y8YSu

got like two years out of em this way till an element died.

When it did I stripped the driver out and turned it into a heated gear controller.

https://imgur.com/a/O1sBeLH

My husbands AT is still rockin' em but he has maybe 10k-mi on the bike.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Agreed the Oxford controller is lolhuge. I liked the look of the Kosos but glad I didn't spring for them if they don't hold up.

Really I went with these because I like that the heating and grips are separate components, just like keeping your modem and router separate. And it's just 2 different elements in each grip that take 12v, no fancy controllers, just a 3 way switch. Cheaper, too. Heaters were $45 and the grips $20. And they've served me well in the past.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

opengl posted:

Really I went with these because I like that the heating and grips are separate components, just like keeping your modem and router separate. And it's just 2 different elements in each grip that take 12v, no fancy controllers, just a 3 way switch. Cheaper, too. Heaters were $45 and the grips $20. And they've served me well in the past.

This is how I would design the thing. Idk what the real term is but I think of things like buttons integrated into the grips, a digital controller etc as 'fanciness' and to me it's just paying extra for stuff you don't actually need and just get because it looks better on a spec sheet or makes you feel cool, with an unacceptable hit to longevity and ease of repair. Suspension you adjust with a button instead of a screwdriver is the same thing imo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Engineering for the sake of engineering

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Engineering for the sake of engineering

Sometimes, but often it's just cheaper to put a mass produced pcb with some membrane switched in a mass produced injection moulded square box, like in the case of the Oxford heated grips.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Harley ones look ace and are completely unobtrusive.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

They lasted like six months before the rubber grippy poo poo wore away.
I trimmed them down and slipped foamies over.
https://imgur.com/a/f1Y8YSu

got like two years out of em this way till an element died.

When it did I stripped the driver out and turned it into a heated gear controller.

https://imgur.com/a/O1sBeLH

My husbands AT is still rockin' em but he has maybe 10k-mi on the bike.

ya I pulled the OEM KTM grips off my first set and now have an off-road set with renthals and a second set for idk lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Since we're on heated gripchat, I've never had great luck with them. They either dont work for me, or they cook my palm while the top of my hand freezes. I didnt want to do my standard routine of bar mitts on the goldwing, so I opted for deflectors.

These replace an existing bolt in the bottom of the mirror and mount the swivel on that. I loctited the mounting bolt in, because I can already see it loosening up with all the twisting. You just turn them by hand to block or aim the air. So far they work really well. When they are in the blocking position, the air around your hands is extremely still. Even with gloves off I still really couldnt feel much. Granted that was at 75 degrees, so we'll see how that holds up when its down in the 40's later in the year, but all the dads on the dadforums swear by them.

When they're open, you can basically aim the air at your hands, or inwards towards the center of the bike which hits your chest then.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
I recently installed Oxford heated grips on my SV650. The control unit is somewhat huge, but what bothered me more was the really thick cable to it. There's also quite a lot of it, the controller, the two grips and the power cable all meet up in a big rats nest. Last time I did this (on a Versys 650) I had plenty of plastic covers to tuck cables behind and also mount the controller on. Now, I managed to tuck the whole mass in behind the instrument cluster nicely out of sight.
The bracket it came with puts it at a rather funny angle and the LEDs aren't really visible when seated, but I can just cut out one of my own to fix that (and maybe mount it to the bar directly rather than the bolt for the whole clutch/mirror assembly).

I got the "Evo" grips which are temperature controlled, which so far seems like a functioning idea. I had the regular ones on my previous bike and often had to adjust them while riding (set them to something high until warmed up and then dial it back down). It hasn't been too cold yet (like +10°C the other week), but so far I have just set it to its lowest setting and left it at that, it warms up at full power and then just keeps it there. It's wired to switched power so it just starts up at whatever setting it was when shut down, and I've never had to fiddle with the buttons while riding so having it at a weird angle has so far not really been a problem, but I would still prefer it slightly elsewhere.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

dadbike... dadbike...

dadbike... dadbike...

dadbike... dadbike...

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

This is the way

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

:sickos:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Almost colossally hosed myself by changing the oil using the wrong drain plug (which allows 2 critical transmission components to fall out). If you are familiar with the GN125, I am talking about the neutral stopper and its spring.

Didn't notice the stopper at first; with a :) on my face ("oh? A spring came out. I hope that that's not critical."), put the spring alone back into the drained sump hole and then that drain plug. Filled up oil. Only before disposing of old oil did I notice the stopper. After looking it up a couple of hours later, went "oh poo poo," quickly drained oil again, then removed spring (still in place, thankfully) and reassembled with the stopper in correct order.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slide Hammer posted:

Almost colossally hosed myself by changing the oil using the wrong drain plug (which allows 2 critical transmission components to fall out). If you are familiar with the GN125, I am talking about the neutral stopper and its spring.

Didn't notice the stopper at first; with a :) on my face ("oh? A spring came out. I hope that that's not critical."), put the spring alone back into the drained sump hole and then that drain plug. Filled up oil. Only before disposing of old oil did I notice the stopper. After looking it up a couple of hours later, went "oh poo poo," quickly drained oil again, then removed spring (still in place, thankfully) and reassembled with the stopper in correct order.

This exact thing has happened to me as well.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ask me about pulling the oil pump spring on a horizontal honda motor instead of the oil drain plug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Fuuuck

What I did today was drop my Scrambler taking it off the paddock stand. The paddock stand isn't one with bobbins on and not perfectly stable. I was drawing it back on the stand and it wobbled so I decided to put it on the side stand... Which wasn't out.

Need a new clutch lever and gear shifter. Slight ding on the crank cover but not enough to bother repairing. Scratch on the mirror and bar end.

This is doubly annoying because I was going to take it back to the dealer to have the brake disc looked at, I'll need to replace these bits first or they'll just say I've hosed it up myself.