Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The Terry Love plumbing forum has more information about toilets than anyone could ever need.

He recommends the Carmonas that have 3" trapways for folks that have issues with clogging toilets for whatever reasons.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?forums/toilet-forum-discussions.3/

The Toto Drake and aforementioned American Standard Champion series are also recommended from what I've seen.

My builder grade toilets in my house are trash and I can't wait to replace them someday with something better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Some goon recommended a Gerber Avalanche after I punted my hosed-up Kohler Cimarron.

Extra height is an option; dual flush (hold the handle), and has never clogged.

I miss my 1947 American Standard, though. Hardly ever need to use a toilet brush.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks for the shitter recommendations

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The ancient pink toilet in my 1960s rental apt before my current place used to sound like it was choking when you flushed and tbh it was hilarious all 10 years I lived there.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is this mouse poop or bug poop? Do bugs even poop like that? It smells like a mouse has been there but there's no hole big enough for even the world's smallest mouse :psyduck:

I'm not terribly worried about it once we move in since we have three cats and a dog, and there haven't been any other signs of mice so this has probably been here a while. I assume the bigger pieces are egg casings or shells or something, they're hollow.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Classic mouse. Mouse sized hole is "pencil eraser" diameter for a full sized mouse.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is this mouse poop or bug poop?

Mouse

Admiral Joeslop posted:

there's no hole big enough for even the world's smallest mouse :psyduck:

I don't think you know just how small of a hole a mouse can get into.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The bigger things in the second picture are old roach egg sacks.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I knew mice are like cats in that they can get through things smaller than you think but didn't know THAT small. Hopefully it didn't do a bunch of poo poo to the cloth wiring however many years ago it was there..

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

The bigger things in the second picture are old roach egg sacks.

Oh yeah, missed those.

If you've got that kind of thing going on, especially in electrical boxes, that place is or at least was loving infested.

I absolutely would be concerned regardless of your pets.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Motronic posted:

Oh yeah, missed those.

If you've got that kind of thing going on, especially in electrical boxes, that place is or at least was loving infested.

I absolutely would be concerned regardless of your pets.

If I saw that much mouse poo poo I'd set literally a hundred traps and hire a human, not feline mouse killer.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So far it's the only outlet like that. We were gonna have pest control out regardless.

Each of the outlets in two bedrooms and the living room have 2-3 layers of paint slopped all over them so thanks POs.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
You have to love when the paint is so thick that you can't even see the notch in the flat head screw.

Man I don't miss my late 18 early 1900's apartments.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Those outlets look like they have a 1000 yard stare. Those outlets have seen some poo poo

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Those outlets look like they have a 1000 yard stare. Those outlets have seen some poo poo

They have no mouth and they must scream

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

They're polarized outlets, too, so they're probably from the 60s at the earliest, not like they're 100 years old.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah the outlets are probably *only* 60 years old

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I would just leave it there so it can stare at you disappointed.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I am a golden god. Found the problem with my smart lock. Soldered it back together. Successfully reassembled the whole thing, works again.

The product support from Yale was like "sucks, sounds like it's broken, out of warranty, here's a 15% coupon".

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

NomNomNom posted:

I am a golden god. Found the problem with my smart lock. Soldered it back together. Successfully reassembled the whole thing, works again.

The product support from Yale was like "sucks, sounds like it's broken, out of warranty, here's a 15% coupon".

:techno:
Congratulations! It is a great feeling!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

I would just leave it there so it can stare at you disappointed.

I've got plenty of mirrors in the house thanks

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

well, now that I finally have the upstairs nice and cool with its own dedicated AC unit, the downstairs AC unit just died

20 years old and used R22, needs a full replacement and lowest quote I've got is $7500

fun

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Tunicate posted:

well, now that I finally have the upstairs nice and cool with its own dedicated AC unit, the downstairs AC unit just died

20 years old and used R22, needs a full replacement and lowest quote I've got is $7500

fun

Isn’t homeownership wonderful?

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Tunicate posted:

fun

People act like this is a perk of renting but my landlord took over a year to repair the AC last time it went out so at least you can have this

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I've always considered Central A/C to have a hilariously high replacement cost. At $7500 with a expected lifetime of 20 years, that's $375 per year. So you could buy a couple window units every year for 20 years and still come out ahead!

But, it's so nice to have consistent temp in most rooms with no loud compressor next to your ear when you're trying to sleep (assuming no Midea), I guess I consider that worth $375 a year.

My condo has a 20 year old R22 unit so I have started budgeting for its death :cool:

e: It's also apt how a ton of condos go up for sale right at the 20 year mark when this $7500+ expense is starting to loom, along with the other aging major appliances.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 3, 2022

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

fun

If you get a heat pump rather than cool only, you might be eligible for the 30% up to $2K tax credit.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

slurm posted:

People act like this is a perk of renting but my landlord took over a year to repair the AC last time it went out so at least you can have this

the most competent property manager I had made a point of showing that he installed two fully functional AC systems in every group of apartments specifically so we'd still have AC if one of them died.

the least competent landlord sent a guy with a can of spray-foam to clog up the hole a rat chewed in the wall, which lasted about 2 hours.

land of contrasts

anyway, at least I'm also replacing a 30-year-old gas furnace so it could be worse.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Qwijib0 posted:

If you get a heat pump rather than cool only, you might be eligible for the 30% up to $2K tax credit.

sadly it looks like that starts in 2023

EDIT: or, no, wait, the rebates don't qualify for this year but tax credits do?

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

So far it's the only outlet like that. We were gonna have pest control out regardless.

Each of the outlets in two bedrooms and the living room have 2-3 layers of paint slopped all over them so thanks POs.

This is something I've never understood, it takes like two seconds to paint around an outlet. Even if you're extremely lazy, there's no time savings because you still have to leave the plug openings open. To me it isn't about laziness, it's act of malicious disregard; a "gently caress it, I don't give a poo poo."

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I've tried to improve the efficiency of my DIY solar collector on my garage, it's main issue are are leaks so I used this tape that's rated to 80C. I dunno if that is enough to be honest. I'm adding the tape all the way around, sealing all joints and gaps, I previously sealed them with silicone but it was not perfect.

The sheet metal looks kinda crappy, but it's made from literal garbage I got for free.

Painted over the tape. I've also added these foam sealers on top and bottom that conform to the corrugated shape of the plexiglass to better seal it in.

Plexiglass back on, whoops some holes in the plexiglass, it's gotten more brittle over the years and also likes to bow. I want to replace it with more UV resistant polyurethane instead and ideally a flat sheet instead of corrugated, but it's so darn expensive.

There's a thermostat running a fan on the inside. When the air in the solar collector is > indoor temp it runs until that is no longer true.

I also added a heat pump to this garage this year. This will be most effective in supplying additional energy in september and october. And then again to february - april. November - January is when the heat pump will have to do all the lifting alone. But it's designed to work with high efficiencies down to -15 C and will still work all the way down to -25C, loosing efficiency as it gets colder, but still better than direct-electric.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SpitztheGreat posted:

This is something I've never understood, it takes like two seconds to paint around an outlet. Even if you're extremely lazy, there's no time savings because you still have to leave the plug openings open. To me it isn't about laziness, it's act of malicious disregard; a "gently caress it, I don't give a poo poo."

I’ve seen a lot of videos from painters helpfully showing how you can edge around outlet covers without tape

Just take the 5 seconds to unscrew the cover you assholes, you’re charging a fortune for your services

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I have a two-story house with one AC. It does okay but I'm thinking about replacing it with a heat pump and I'm curious what my options are to better distribute heating and cooling depending on what floor we're on. Right now we have a daytime temp for when we're downstairs (with the thermostat), and a night time temp for when we're in the considerably warmer upstairs bedrooms.

What is the most efficient and comfortable way to deal with this situation? Its only 1500 sq ft and there's three modestly sized bedrooms so it feels like two ac units would be excessive if there's another way--maybe some intelligent venting upstairs/downstairs based on a schedule? I'm not even sure of the right things to google here and I'm worried about getting infinity ads in my inbox if I let google know I'm interested in home hvac.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Corla Plankun posted:

I have a two-story house with one AC. It does okay but I'm thinking about replacing it with a heat pump and I'm curious what my options are to better distribute heating and cooling depending on what floor we're on. Right now we have a daytime temp for when we're downstairs (with the thermostat), and a night time temp for when we're in the considerably warmer upstairs bedrooms.

What is the most efficient and comfortable way to deal with this situation? Its only 1500 sq ft and there's three modestly sized bedrooms so it feels like two ac units would be excessive if there's another way--maybe some intelligent venting upstairs/downstairs based on a schedule? I'm not even sure of the right things to google here and I'm worried about getting infinity ads in my inbox if I let google know I'm interested in home hvac.

It's called zoned system, and it is probably not going to be terribly easy to retrofit. If you've got good access to all your ductwork, it might be possible.

If you just care about where you are being the right temperature, and don't care about not heating/cooling the unused area, something like an Ecobee with remote sensors would do what you're after.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Corla Plankun posted:

I have a two-story house with one AC. It does okay but I'm thinking about replacing it with a heat pump and I'm curious what my options are to better distribute heating and cooling depending on what floor we're on. ...

What is the most efficient and comfortable way to deal with this situation?

How is it set-up currently? A furnace/ A/C stack in the basement?

If so, and

If the furnace is in good condition,

Consider adding an AC/air-mover to the attic space above the second floor, and ducting each room & return through the 2nd floor ceilings & on its own zone. Whatever is comfortable on the 2nd floor, it'll be cooler in the rooms below.

Keep the other A/C in case of really gnarly days or big crowds in the summer, and when it dies, abandon it in place until you need a new furnace.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

My new homeowner's insurance has some kind of self-inspection app for the interiors where you take a bunch of pictures which was convenient, but under the 'optional' part for things not every house was with pets, air handler, fireplace, etc. it said 'Ceilings.' How many houses don't have ceilings?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

My new homeowner's insurance has some kind of self-inspection app for the interiors where you take a bunch of pictures which was convenient, but under the 'optional' part for things not every house was with pets, air handler, fireplace, etc. it said 'Ceilings.' How many houses don't have ceilings?

Some houses don't have simple blank sheetrock ceilings.

I'm guessing they are trying to capture crown molding, coffers, lighting, etc.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
e: misread

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

How is it set-up currently? A furnace/ A/C stack in the basement?

Sorry, I forget how regional this stuff is. I'm in Texas if it helps. It's one AC unit in a closet on the second floor, and it was installed in 2008. There's no basement and the tiny second floor attic barely has enough room for the upper-story vents much less anything else.

The "remote sensors" option sounds pretty reasonable. I was thinking of doing something like that on my own, basically mounting a thermostat on each story and slapping a toggle button next to it to switch between the two (since it's all DC and I've got an EE degree it almost felt safe enough to try). I might actually put that in right now because our current thermostat has the most batshit insane programming method I'd ever seen, until I saw the programmable sprinkler out back that the same PO installed.*

* In both cases the amount of time it takes to program is easily double the amount of time you'd save in a year if you just manually did the thing. The sprinkler's programming interface is a dial with magic positions, an enter key, and no other buttons :psyduck:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Corla Plankun posted:

* In both cases the amount of time it takes to program is easily double the amount of time you'd save in a year if you just manually did the thing. The sprinkler's programming interface is a dial with magic positions, an enter key, and no other buttons :psyduck:

on the other hand, if I just manually had to turn sprinklers on and off on a fixed schedule they'd just never get turned on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Which is honestly the right thing to do. Lawns are dumb as hell.