Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
Warlord's epic battles catalogue runs 12.5mm and is a pretty good price. I really like the strip models too. Sadly I don't think that basing would work well for SP though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

SRF posted:

After years of waffling, I'm finally ready to take the plunge and get into Napoleonics. I've even decided on the war of the fifth coalition as the rough period. But now I'm struggling to pick a sale. Initially I had planned on going with 28mm for Sharp Practice, but recently I've felt awfully tempted to just go straight for big(-ish) formations and get some 10mm for General d'Armee. I'm rather fond of the Perry plastics and they look like they'd paint up nicely, but I also love the effect of larger numbers of smaller scale minis - although the smallest I've done so far is 15mm.
Does anyone have experience with Napoleonics in either/both scales or with either set of rules and can provide some input?

If you have a 3d printer some great models are starting to become available. Usually they can be printed in either 28mm or 15mm.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SRF posted:

My issue with 15mm is that it lacks the detail and, perhaps more importantly, cheap plastics of 28mm while not looking nearly as impressive for mass formations as the smaller scales. Full disclosure: if I end up going the GdA route, I'm pretty much dead set on battalions with one base per company with proper distances between figures, i.e. elbow to elbow, which is the primary reason why I'm not particularly interested in starting with SP in 28mm and then building up to GDA - formations in 28mm always seem to end up looking too loose, and I don't get the impression 15mm helps a ton in that regard.
The one good thing about this dilemma is that the fact that I'm already obsessing about dumb poo poo like this makes me feel like Napolenonics really are for me. I'll be counting buttons in no time.
You want 20mil. It's probably the cheapest option and you can easily base your guys however you want.

SRF
Oct 31, 2011

Class Warcraft posted:

If you have a 3d printer some great models are starting to become available. Usually they can be printed in either 28mm or 15mm.

Unfortunately I don't, which is a shame because there seem to be a bunch of great STLs out there.

Arquinsiel posted:

You want 20mil. It's probably the cheapest option and you can easily base your guys however you want.

Do you have any recommendations? 20mm is a scale I hadn't really looked into because, being only familiar with WW2 when it comes to 20mm, I assumed you could either get bendy soft plastic that barely holds a coat of paint or metal minis that are as expensive as (or in some cases more expensive than) 28mm.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

There are heaps of manufacturers of plastic 1/72nd scale (20mm) Napoleonic figures. Italeri, Zvezda and HaT, to name a few.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I love 28mm nappy and I have hundreds of painted Frenchies, but I readily admit that the scale has a lot of cons. Only do 28mm imho if you like painting and you like the nittygritty details. Storage, paint speed, transportation, board size, all those speak for smaller scales.

Like, I adore my 28mm armies, but they really don’t make sense from a gameplay perspective. It’s the journey and the spectacle while playing. It’s hard to beat 28mm when it comes to plunking down a gorgeous regiment. But you’ll need an entire bookshelf to store two opposing armies if you want to go big. And they’ll take several years to paint.

If you have limited space go for a smaller scale or 28mm skirmish. Or both. As mentioned above I’d look into 6mm and warlord’s epic scale too. The ”problem” of 15mm is that they don’t really quite get all the pros of scaling down compared to even smaller minis.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 4, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Endman posted:

There are heaps of manufacturers of plastic 1/72nd scale (20mm) Napoleonic figures. Italeri, Zvezda and HaT, to name a few.
HaT are my favourite of the lot. They're nice sturdy plastic for the scale and they've got all the benefits of being cheap, covering all the bases, and being reasonably easy to get. It's worth buying a box of Voltigeurs or something just to see how you like them.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
This is the place to go for 20mm discussion.

http://plasticsoldierreview.com

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Where in the heck can you buy HäT models? Outside of eBay I'm finding nothing, and it's not exactly an easy term to search (hat minis brings up the wrong thing of course)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

Where in the heck can you buy HäT models? Outside of eBay I'm finding nothing, and it's not exactly an easy term to search (hat minis brings up the wrong thing of course)

Model kit shops

https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/i...25&currency_id=

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Ah, that's a good shout. I was looking around at miniatures when I should have been looking for hobby/models.

Ah ha, found the motherlode stateside https://www.megahobby.com/brands/Hat.html

edit-- holy CRAP these are cheap... I could do a whole 1/72 army for a fraction of what 28mm would cost.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 4, 2022

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

Ah, that's a good shout. I was looking around at miniatures when I should have been looking for hobby/models.

Ah ha, found the motherlode stateside https://www.megahobby.com/brands/Hat.html

edit-- holy CRAP these are cheap... I could do a whole 1/72 army for a fraction of what 28mm would cost.

Yeah hat don’t really compare in detail to the top notch kits but they are dirt cheap an paint up decently imho

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
20mm is in that weird space where they are small enough that the detail tends to be shallow and the plastics are truescale rather than heroic so you end up not being able to paint them too fancily. It means that you tend to fall back on block colours and a black wash to sort it out and they get banged out quickly.

SRF
Oct 31, 2011

lilljonas posted:

I love 28mm nappy and I have hundreds of painted Frenchies, but I readily admit that the scale has a lot of cons. Only do 28mm imho if you like painting and you like the nittygritty details. Storage, paint speed, transportation, board size, all those speak for smaller scales.

Like, I adore my 28mm armies, but they really don’t make sense from a gameplay perspective. It’s the journey and the spectacle while playing. It’s hard to beat 28mm when it comes to plunking down a gorgeous regiment. But you’ll need an entire bookshelf to store two opposing armies if you want to go big. And they’ll take several years to paint.

If you have limited space go for a smaller scale or 28mm skirmish. Or both. As mentioned above I’d look into 6mm and warlord’s epic scale too. The ”problem” of 15mm is that they don’t really quite get all the pros of scaling down compared to even smaller minis.

That's kind of where I'm stuck right now. 28mm has an excellent selection of beautiful and cheap (thanks to plastic) miniatures, but you end up with insane frontages for larger games and they don't look quite right for portraying large formations - especially if you base them individually and use sabot bases like you would for SP. I've been thinking about trying to adress that issue by using smaller round bases and getting/making custom sabot bases with the shortest possible distance between files and a bit more space between the front and rear rank, but that would take some experimenting.
10mm on the other hand looks great for larger formations but I'd almost certainly be stuck ordering from the UK and

I agree regarding 15mm, I looked into that initially and quickly got the impression that it is a bit of a legacy scale insofar as it doesn't give you the same sense of scale as 10mm does, while at the same time not really offering much additional detail. 6mm starts turning kind of blobby for me, but 10mm seems to retain most of the detail 15mm has.

Is Warlord planning on expanding the epic scale? Right now it only seems to support the 100 days, which I'm not terribly interested in.

Arquinsiel posted:

HaT are my favourite of the lot. They're nice sturdy plastic for the scale and they've got all the benefits of being cheap, covering all the bases, and being reasonably easy to get. It's worth buying a box of Voltigeurs or something just to see how you like them.

I might just do that. Do they hold paint okay? That's probably what I'm most worried about.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SRF posted:

I might just do that. Do they hold paint okay? That's probably what I'm most worried about.
They tend to be a little bendy, so some people recommend giving them a PVA glue wash before you start painting them. I haven't found that to be particularly effective myself though, and it obscures a lot more detail at that scale.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I never had any issue, just use a good primer and it should paint like any other miniature. They certainly worked better than the bad old days of whatever Reaper was using for their Bones models or god forbid, Mantic's "restic."

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

They tend to be a little bendy, so some people recommend giving them a PVA glue wash before you start painting them. I haven't found that to be particularly effective myself though, and it obscures a lot more detail at that scale.

The 28mm/1:56 stuff I’ve bought from Hat was not of the bendy plastic you often see in 1/72 minis but rather a hard plastic that keeps the paint just like any other brand.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

The 28mm/1:56 stuff I’ve bought from Hat was not of the bendy plastic you often see in 1/72 minis but rather a hard plastic that keeps the paint just like any other brand.
Yeah, that stuff is considered to be too fragile for the 20mm stuff. It'd just snap in multiple places when you look at it funny, and with Napoleonics having so many bayonettes and long muskets sticking upwards it'd be a nightmare to try repair. Better to have a little wibble in it.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

So I couldn't decide if my Panzer III N from the 1942 Eastern Front should be in the grey scheme or in the green-brown tropical scheme that a lot of tanks were painted in for whatever reason (I've seen a lot of photos of them in that scheme on the Eastern Front, but never a good explanation beyond nerd theorising on the internet with no actual sources), so I decided to just paint a two-tone scheme of both:

e: I should note that this is before the swap to the dark yellow with green and brown camo patterns that happened in early 43.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Endman posted:

So I couldn't decide if my Panzer III N from the 1942 Eastern Front should be in the grey scheme or in the green-brown tropical scheme that a lot of tanks were painted in for whatever reason (I've seen a lot of photos of them in that scheme on the Eastern Front, but never a good explanation beyond nerd theorising on the internet with no actual sources), so I decided to just paint a two-tone scheme of both:

e: I should note that this is before the swap to the dark yellow with green and brown camo patterns that happened in early 43.

Nice paint job! as for the camo scheme, afaik the German tanks with a desert brown base on the eastern front were tanks that were initially meant to be sent to North Africa, but were re-routed to the eastern front. But again, not sure to what degree that there are solid sources for that, given that most pics from the eastern front are black-and-white which makes identification of camo schemes notoriously hard to do.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
IIRC that's where the early-war brown on grey camo schemes went for several decades, before someone decided that they totally existed all along. Just no real way to see them in black and white photos, with both colours being about the same on that filmstock.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

lilljonas posted:

I agree with everything in this post. I love my 28mm Russians.

Are you (the op) planning on painting two armies? If not - if you're going to play against someone who already has Napoleonics - what scale are they using?

SRF posted:

That's kind of where I'm stuck right now. 28mm has an excellent selection of beautiful and cheap (thanks to plastic) miniatures, but you end up with insane frontages for larger games and they don't look quite right for portraying large formations - especially if you base them individually and use sabot bases like you would for SP. I've been thinking about trying to adress that issue by using smaller round bases and getting/making custom sabot bases with the shortest possible distance between files and a bit more space between the front and rear rank, but that would take some experimenting.

I put all of my infantry on 28mm magnetic squares (they're quite cheap, shogunminiatures.com) and then use 60mm x 40mm steel strips (wargameaccessories.com) to move them in groups.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Arquinsiel posted:

what do you use for primer then?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

regarding my previous requests for 6 mm ww2 man stls - think i'm just gonna go with trusty ol' baccus and print all the vehicles and guns (of which the models are plentiful). i am very surprised to not be able to find much in the way of building stls though, at smaller scales at least. anyone got a lead on some stuff i can print at 6 mm? up to 15 or maybe 20 mm stuff i'd say should scale down fine. looking for generic french country/city buildings

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ChubbyChecker posted:

what do you use for primer then?
I use whatever rattlecan I have handy in an appropriate colour, but the PVA advocates paint directly onto it.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Arquinsiel posted:

I use whatever rattlecan I have handy in an appropriate colour, but the PVA advocates paint directly onto it.

my army painter and citadel sprays flake right off from hat miniatures, i've found that only the pva method works for them

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

regarding my previous requests for 6 mm ww2 man stls - think i'm just gonna go with trusty ol' baccus and print all the vehicles and guns (of which the models are plentiful). i am very surprised to not be able to find much in the way of building stls though, at smaller scales at least. anyone got a lead on some stuff i can print at 6 mm? up to 15 or maybe 20 mm stuff i'd say should scale down fine. looking for generic french country/city buildings

This is probably the best choice. For vehicles, check out m_bergman (pbuh), and for buildings, I've heard good stuff about wow buildings but there are also a lot of quality free files out there.

Endman
May 18, 2010

lilljonas posted:

Nice paint job! as for the camo scheme, afaik the German tanks with a desert brown base on the eastern front were tanks that were initially meant to be sent to North Africa, but were re-routed to the eastern front. But again, not sure to what degree that there are solid sources for that, given that most pics from the eastern front are black-and-white which makes identification of camo schemes notoriously hard to do.

Thanks for the compliment! I’ve heard that theory too, and it’s a good one, but apparently nobody bothered to write that decision down, or if they did we’ve just lost the documentary evidence. So maybe we’ll never know.

There is some evidence of German crews smearing mud on their grey tanks to make an ad hoc camouflage scheme in the field, so I can just pretend this paint scheme represents that if anyone cares, e.g:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

moths posted:

This is probably the best choice. For vehicles, check out m_bergman (pbuh), and for buildings, I've heard good stuff about wow buildings but there are also a lot of quality free files out there.

WOW is good quality, but scaling to exactly 6mm leaves the walls just a little too thin. I haven't tried them at a slightly large size yet. They look great in 15mm though. I'm working with the Kelly's Heroes set from Kickstarter.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ChubbyChecker posted:

my army painter and citadel sprays flake right off from hat miniatures, i've found that only the pva method works for them
Which ones are you painting? They use different plastic for some of their miniatures for some reason. I have a bunch of WWII British that are basically like eraser rubber that's gone hard. The Napoleonics stuff is much sturdier.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Arquinsiel posted:

Which ones are you painting? They use different plastic for some of their miniatures for some reason. I have a bunch of WWII British that are basically like eraser rubber that's gone hard. The Napoleonics stuff is much sturdier.

napoleonics. and i washed them properly too, so it wasn't that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ChubbyChecker posted:

napoleonics. and i washed them properly too, so it wasn't that.
I dunno what to say then man. I never had a problem with the couple of boxes I half-painted before getting side-tracked into a different abandoned period. If the PVA method works for you though keep doing it. As long as you're happy with the outcome that's all that matters.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Arquinsiel posted:

I dunno what to say then man. I never had a problem with the couple of boxes I half-painted before getting side-tracked into a different abandoned period. If the PVA method works for you though keep doing it. As long as you're happy with the outcome that's all that matters.

maybe it was some different plastic mix? eh, who knows

SRF
Oct 31, 2011

Cessna posted:

Are you (the op) planning on painting two armies? If not - if you're going to play against someone who already has Napoleonics - what scale are they using?

Pretty much. No one I know is into Napoleonics so pre-existing armies are not a factor.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
If you want maximum cost effectiveness Italeri does starter sets, with terrain!

https://www.italeri.com/en/product/2958

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Airfix do that set too. Might even be the same figures with how companies share moulds. I regret not grabbing it when I saw it, just to have the option of doing it someday.

ETA: wow, the MDF really pushes up the price of it. The Airfix set goes for about £20 now and has like 300 figures in it. They're 1970s moulds and a bit crappy, but still.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 8, 2022

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

mllaneza posted:

WOW is good quality, but scaling to exactly 6mm leaves the walls just a little too thin. I haven't tried them at a slightly large size yet. They look great in 15mm though. I'm working with the Kelly's Heroes set from Kickstarter.

yeah and 5 pounds for every stl is a bit steep for all that detail i don't really need at 6 mm. i'll continue searching, thanks (bergman is the goat for vehicles tho, agreed)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Anyone have any favorite sources for tabletop roads/rivers if I don't feel like making them myself? I figure if anyone would know it'd be the historical folks.

I've seen some cool fabric/neoprene ones on Facebook but I'm not sure how cheap/awful that would look on the table.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Count Thrashula posted:

Anyone have any favorite sources for tabletop roads/rivers if I don't feel like making them myself? I figure if anyone would know it'd be the historical folks.

The fabric ones can work- and are cheap to make yourself - just go buy some fabric and cut it. Personally, I've always liked the look of rubber ones, but they are the most expensive.

Though the idea of playing historical and worrying about such a petty thing as "expense" seems a contradiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Does anyone know of good sources of modern Eastern European minis in 15mm? Perhaps a bit tacky, but all the insane combat in Ukraine has made me think about the possibility of slowly working on some armies at that scale that could be used for wargaming in the future.