Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

So fire isn't hot near pure evil, and the meteor crator didn't burn the hobbit, but it's supposed to be Gandalf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Data Graham posted:

Also uh I have a question about how Harfoot society works.

If they're nomadic and their whole life revolves around their periodic "migrations", how do they have a Harvest Fest? Nomads don't farm ... that's kind of like the definition.

It's where they remember all the hobbit children who have been harvested by wolves over the years I imagine.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The Harfoots stress me out, too much poo poo in their hair. Take a loving shower under a waterfall or something my guys.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

nooneofconsequence posted:

So fire isn't hot near pure evil, and the meteor crator didn't burn the hobbit, but it's supposed to be Gandalf?

I enjoy the theory that it's a Balrog more. He's like an anti-Gandalf. Sauron corrupts him and turns him into Durin's Bane which Gandalf defeats in LotR.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think I am probably wrong about this, but didn't Gandalf not come to Middle-Earth until the 3rd age? It could be one of the other wizards, Googling around the internet suggests its one of the blue wizards?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

what if he's a new bezos self-insert character

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Phenotype posted:

You joke, but I am legit waiting for this.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Put it this way, when you are in a place that evil, fire will not bring you respite from the cold, and presumedly, if that guy is actually Istari, then the fire around him doesnt burn stuff because hes the middle earth equivilent of an Angel.

If hes actually evil, then I have no idea but both the Istari and Balrog's come from the same type of spirit originally, so I am inclined to think that hes not evil, just highly confused and disorientated.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Data Graham posted:

Also uh I have a question about how Harfoot society works.

If they're nomadic and their whole life revolves around their periodic "migrations", how do they have a Harvest Fest? Nomads don't farm ... that's kind of like the definition.

I think they are basing it off the time when the humans harvest their wheat, which I dunno, means they're too busy to hunt/discover harfoots or when they're distracted enough to steal flour or grain from? I guess if they keep tabs on the local human settlement they can track the passage of time when the humans do things because the harfoots don't really care about things enough to do astrology, which is why they think history repeats and they follow sightings in their big book of hieroglyphs.

And they're currently pretty close to future-mordor, so having to travel and migrate further than normal (strange times) will probably be caused by a bunch of lava and smoke nearby.

Mahoning posted:

Just rewatching now, realized that the entire Harfoot subplot takes place in Rhovanion, essentially due north of Mordor.

Hammerstein posted:

The first 2 episodes made it really hard to get a feel for the geography. Lindon and the Grey Havens are easy to find, but where on the map would the elven outposts be, where Arondir's arc is taking place?

The elven watchtower looks to be in the mountains surrounding mordor given the southlands on the map was mordor, you can see a volcano in the distance and according to one line from the watch commander elf the area is only recently good for farming (in the last few centuries) so men remain settled there. The man in the inn/pub mentions the vents near the lake and the groundshakes, both pointing to recent/brooding volcanic activity.

Apparently the first village, Tirharad is described as this in some press pack/show lore update:

"Tirharad was a village of Men located in west-central Mordor, then referred to as the Southlands, in the Second Age. It lay to the east of the Ephel Dúath, close to Ostirith and Hordern. " Ephel Duath being the mountain range border of Mordor facing Minas Tirith

Then again the world is currently flat so perhaps mt doom is actually like 1000km away but can still be seen on the horizon.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 3, 2022

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Hammerstein posted:

Actually it's another failure by the writers when it comes to the source material, because that scene made it appear as if they would never need their weapons again. Valinor might be an elf paradise, but it's a guarded realm because after Morgoth and Ungoliant destroyed the sacred trees and stole the Silmaril the Valar never wanted to be caught with their pants down ever again.

Also in the lore it is prophesied that the Host of Valinor (the army that beat Morgoth) would assemble again for the Dagor Dagorath (the last battle when Morgoth returns and breaks through the Door of the Night).

While I don't question what you wrote, considering they are being sent to Valinor as their reward for centuries of suffering and fighting, wouldn't it make sense that this specific group at least is not expected to pick up arms anytime soon again?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The concept of a human balrog is super boring to me. I would rather he be Alatar or Pallando.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
watched the first ep last night and thought it was boring as poo poo

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i had more fun with this show's two episodes than i did with house of dragons and i know nothing about the preexisting lore or whatever changes they made it's scratching that dumb high fantasy itch that i've been craving for the last few years :)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Had a weird thought. I was trying to think what extant shows it reminds me of in terms of pacing, relatable characters, meandering plot, immersive vs. CGI surroundings, and so on. Like I’m also watching through The Boys right now and it feels completely different on almost all counts. But what it kind of reminds me of, in weird ways, is The Expanse.

First couple of episodes are inscrutable, mysterious, hint at all kinds of esoteric universe stuff, and are full of characters who aren’t really all that compelling right off the bat. But they sure do all come together later. Plus if nothing else it’s gorgeous.

This show will be something else to look back at once it has a few more episodes under its belt is what I’m saying I guess.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
This armor design seemed incredibly bland to me.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Half a billion dollars and they couldn't hire one person who knows what a gorget is supposed to look like. Though imo it's a mistake to have the elves in late medieval plate armour at all.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Phenotype posted:

I want to make a joke about Sauron here, but Sauron is a more sympathetic character than Bezos.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
e: nevermind

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

BoldFace posted:

It just looks utilitarian to me. Like Galadriel is a lot more war focused that the other elves so has a contrasting less ornate look.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I know no one wants to blatantly ripoff GoT but drat this show could really use a sweeping map intro instead of vibrating sand or whatever.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Is that actually some kind of vibrating sand device and not cgi?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BoldFace posted:

Definitely doesn't seem very... efly. They could have just gone with prior (future?) Elf armor they used and honestly we could have just chalked it up to Elves not changing much in a couple thousand years cus why would they if it works?

Like from the hobbit:

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
to be fair to the show, peter jackson would have slapped seven video filters on that armour to give it a "mithril glow" or some crap like that. i don't particularly miss that visual style

having elven make look like regular materials is not necessarily a bad thing if they're gonna go in a slightly different visual direction

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I like the utilitarian elf armor. The whole point is they’re coming off a thousand years of war and trying to make the case that the war is over

Who wants to see a bunch of loving anime cosplayers trying to pretend like their intricate leaf filigree is because it inspires fear in the orcs that threaten daily to overwhelm them

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

What really gets me is that the preview stuff for the rest of the season has her in some pretty gorgeous looking full plate armour. I am not sure why the armour she has on there is so poo poo looking when they obviously have better looking stuff in the wardrobe.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I was expecting the worst going into the first episode, but it’s all fine with the exception of the proto-Hobbit Irish peasant bullshit. Hopefully they’ll get eaten by Glaurung’s brother in law or something.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Patrat posted:

What really gets me is that the preview stuff for the rest of the season has her in some pretty gorgeous looking full plate armour. I am not sure why the armour she has on there is so poo poo looking when they obviously have better looking stuff in the wardrobe.

you're gonna be really shocked when you learn that the military has like ten different uniforms for different occasions

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

One reason why i think meteor man is gandalf is it would explain his later fascination with hobbits

Both thr hobbit and lord of the rings essentially kick off because of Gandalfs interactions with an especially adventurous hobbit. Seems like a motif they are trying to reproduce.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I'm still pulling for Sauron meteor man because it gives it'd give him an in to trick the elves into thinking he was sent by the Valar to help Celebrimbor with his great creation.

I can see Celebrimbor just accepting help as long as it boosts his ego, but other elves could be swayed if the hobbits vouch for the friendliness of meteor man.

If it is a good-type Gandalf instead of an evil-type Gandalf then you've got what, two characters running around saying they were both sent by the Valar to help the elves? Dueling "who's really the evil one???" seems a little cheesey.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what if it's somebody nobody has known before huh that's the best path forward imo

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Patrat posted:

Maybe Numenor has some badass looking poo poo.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
unrelated but i really like this ancient rear end av

dunno who this dude is but its retro sizing and low framerate / complexity bring me joy

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

One reason why i think meteor man is gandalf is it would explain his later fascination with hobbits

Both thr hobbit and lord of the rings essentially kick off because of Gandalfs interactions with an especially adventurous hobbit. Seems like a motif they are trying to reproduce.

This is my thinking as well, though I would probably prefer if it wasn’t Gandalf.

That being said, if the Istari was sent to ME by comet, I’ll have to hand it to the showrunners, that’s a fun and interesting choice.

Good show so far.

Also I find the Harfoot stuff very charming and interesting but I guess that’s just me.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Hammerstein posted:

I think you are spot on. Those elves, who were capable of such feats, were also extraordinary among their own kind. They compare to other elves like Aragorn would compare to common men. Also keep in mind that silly stuff, like Legolas braining an Oliphaunt, is exclusive to the movies.

Elves are not superheroes. They are a good chunk stronger, faster and more resilient than men, also they don't get sick, but they can still be struck down or die from exposure - the best example for that are the Noldor's significant losses during the crossing of the Helcaraxë -> https://lotr.fandom.com/wiki/Helcarax%C3%AB
There are even some among the first men, like Húrin, whose martial prowess could rival that of even some lesser elf lords. Leaping over mountains or swimming thousands of miles across the sea is not among their power.

The Balrog-slayers you were thinking of are Ecthelion of the Fountain and Glorfindel and both did not survive that fight, despite slaying their respective enemy.

The mightiest warrior among the Noldor was probably Fingolfin, he even lasted a few rounds against Morgoth and actually wounded him, before he was slain. But he was one of a kind. For example Fingon (his oldest son) was slain by Balrogs during the Dagor Bragollach, proving that taking on a Balrog is a heroic feat and not something that any elf lord can do.

Thanks for this post, it was very illuminating.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Data Graham posted:

For the past ~25 years (good god) I've run a fan-art site for a movie, and I've constantly experimented with various kinds of metrics-gathering and community features. One of which (this was in its heyday back around 2000-2005) was a 1-10 star rating on people's uploaded art.

I learned very quickly a number of very useful things that taught me many things about people:

- Users very, very seldom put an actual, properly-thought-out, sincere rating on something. Most of the time it is either 1 or 10, because they're trying to either pump up their friends or knife their enemies

- Those few users who do give a reasonable rating tend to come in at around 7 for just about everything, no matter how amazing the quality or how much of a rank beginner piece it is; it's a nice comfortable number, especially when you don't want to be overly hurtful or overly effusive to people in your community who you're interacting with on a daily basis

- The number of people who vote 10 tend to outnumber the people who vote 1 by a margin of about 30%

- The end result of these factors is that every single piece of art in the system averages out over the course of gathering thousands of data points to a rating of 7.3, ±0.000001, and ranking art by the star rating becomes completely useless

- (People who tend to get lower ratings than that get discouraged and leave the site, and people who get higher ratings get swollen egos and start acting like dipshits)

- (1/10 star ratings are an extremely bad idea for a community art sharing site, and you'd be better off just doing a Like button and counting those)

E: All of this is irrelevant to the quoted post except that I thought it might be funny to mention in light of the C-shaped review distribution lmao

Back in the days of videogame magazines reviewing games, 73% was the score of death. Not low enough to upset the publishers but not high enough to get the general public to buy the game. It was the "we didn't really like this but if you're into this genre you might get some enjoyment from it" score magazines went for when they really didn't care about the game.

I'm not hating the first 2 episodes. They look nice and the production values are high, but I'm not hugely invested in the story. Given the budget I expected a bit more in terms of direction, script and cinematography. Other high-profile TV projects have done better in those aspects while spending a lot less. But I'm not hating it, other than the appalling Irish/Scots accents and the anti-Celtic inferences.

I know TV and cinema are 2 different formats, but 2 hours into The Fellowship of the Ring we'd been introduced to Bilbo, Frodo, Gandalf, Sauron, Saruman, Merry, Pippin, Samwise, Aragorn, Arwen, Elrond, Boromir, Gimli, Legolas, the Ringwraiths all without too much exposition, had established the danger of the One Ring, set out a journey for all those characters, and were well on the way to a satisfying conclusion to the first movie.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

I just think many of the things that remind us of Gandalf are too in-your-face (the hobbits, the fireflies, the shot of him looking like Ian McKellan,...) but obviously there are also many things pointing to Sauron. They definitely want us to speculate.

I'm still sticking with Blue Wizard, which also would make sense as their story is a little bit of both good and evil.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
The more I think about it, the more I think Starman is one of the blue wizards; it would make sense timing wise and script wise since they are mostly a blank slate. There have been "fakeouts" towards both a good or an evil Maiar so it could go both ways.

I have to say, in a show where all the civilized people sound British, giving the primitive hobbits a fake Irish accent is...a choice.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I rewatched the first episode and they mention why the elves stay in the Southland and the men’s allegiance to Morgoth constantly.

I have no idea how I missed that the first time through :staredog:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

As Nero Danced posted:

Anyways, I'm trying to learn some more background for the show, but I don't have all the time it would take to read the books and appendices and whatnot. I'm watching the Nerd of the Rings on youtube, are there some other good lore channels or podcasts I can throw on to learn more about it? The extent of my knowledge of the whole franchise is "WW1 was hell, the hobbits get PTSD."

Men of the West is a good lore channel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

That Italian Guy posted:

The more I think about it, the more I think Starman is one of the blue wizards; it would make sense timing wise and script wise since they are mostly a blank slate. There have been "fakeouts" towards both a good or an evil Maiar so it could go both ways.

I have to say, in a show where all the civilized people sound British, giving the primitive hobbits a fake Irish accent is...a choice.

Yeah, LOTR hobbits were all speaking in rural English accents, pretty much in line with Tolkien's idea of the Shire being some English idyll of pre-industrial life. Giving them terrible fake Irish accents and rubbing them in mud and twigs to suggest that they're less civilised and more backward than the English hobbits of LOTR is problematic. But then they had to make them gypsies on top of that.

Having watched the second episode now I'm wondering if Scots might have the same reaction towards the portrayal of dwarves. Durin and co had some truly awful Scots accents and while the shots of the dwarf fortress were stunning, they really went to town on portraying the Scots dwarfs as belligerent drunks ready to raise an axe.