Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Martman posted:

Spiritfarer has many cool and beautiful qualities but I couldn't get hooked. I tried to finish it before it got dropped from game pass and I dunno... it reminded me in some ways of Stardew Valley where stuff that ostensibly is all about being chill and relaxing ends up making me feel stressed out. The friendship management, time management, etc., all frustrated me more than it made me enjoy the experience so I ended up feeling like I had to min/max everything.

To be fair I played a serious amount of Stardew, so it hooked me longer, but there's just something about these games where you manage relationships with video game friends that causes me weird stress I guess.

I was trying to finish Spiritfarer before it left and I got very close but didn't quite make it. I never felt stressed out since there didn't seem to be many consequences for not attending to something within a certain time frame, at least that I noticed. Food burns, but your animals don't die if you don't feed them, your crops don't die if you don't harvest them, etc.

My main issue with the game is that aside from a few instances the journeys of the passengers weren't really resonating with me. Everyone seemed to kinda just drift along, moderately sad, but nothing too bad. And there wasn't the whole "you've finished your journey, confronted your demons, and now you're at peace" aspect to it as much as I expected. People wanting to go to the gate seemed pretty arbitrary within the story. Most of the characters seemed to just eventually get bored on the boat and wanted to leave. That one lion left just because he got caught having an affair. But not in a bad way just more in a "Welp, I guess I should move out now!" way.

Often it felt more like I was running a cruise ship than resolving people's final spiritual hurdles before they moved on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I play MCC when I’m high and want a no brained shooter with lots of cool scenery and pretty lasers.

That and coop is all it’s good for imho.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

With immortality, I really like that they use the cinematography of the time period and even the subtitles are of the style used at that time.

It's those little touches I like.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Halo is cool and good.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

So I got stuck on the first boss in resident evil 2 remake. I feel like I didn’t have enough ammo as I had been blowing it the other enemies out of pure panic reactions.
I tried about 5 times and just never had enough ammo (counting all the ammo in the boss area) and I was getting frustrated
Then I noticed there were pay to unlock weapons
I normally would never consider it but I just really didn’t want to start over and I have less time for gaming at the moment
The first thing I did was pass on the infinite weapon pack because it felt like a punk move
So I instead picked up Leon’s special pistol thinking they would probably start me off with a full clip which might be enough in addition to everything else I had to just barely beat the boss and it was only 2 bucks
But then I found out it doesn’t come with any ammo and uses the same ammo as the normal pistol so I ended up buying the infinite ammo pack and killing the boss with a 2 second salvo from the chain gun and immediately melted the freak
I feel ashamed

I didn’t grow
I didn’t improve
I took a shortcut and gained nothing

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don’t think any of the DLC is pay2win it’s just cosmetic reskins of existing guns.

Sounds like it’s time to git gud.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

I don’t think any of the DLC is pay2win it’s just cosmetic reskins of existing guns.

Sounds like it’s time to git gud.

There's an All In DLC that includes the infinite ammo weapons and stuff. It's like $5.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Specifically the unlockable weapons, which are honestly not too easy to obtain

The first boss is kind of an early roadblock if you are playing as Leon, but on the the other hand it's weakness is [spoilers]headshots[/sploler]

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

It works for four or five people right?

I think it's 5 people, plus a single instance of home console game sharing shenanigans, so up to 6. If you could manage that and it's $25 a pop, you can get it down to fifty USD a year, which is what I paid for 3 discounted Gold codes from Newegg.

This is a big play. If they manage to work out streaming licenses so people can play their libraries in addition to select game pass games and the technology works out, they stand to make a ton of money and gains in market share.

The type of person who wouldn't spend 500 bucks on a console, but would be fine with streaming to their smart TV or a TV dongle, the type of person who'd get FOMO from hearing friends talking about their night playing Sea of Thieves and would be fine playing from their tablet. It's all so much more likely to happen if you can split it with someone, and not just because of the savings. An underappreciated strength of game pass is the book club aspect, getting groups of people playing the same game.

They want to be the app everyone launches when they have a few minutes and want to play something.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Immortality is extremely good and I'm bummed to have found just about every piece of footage because I just want there to be more. Well written, superbly acted, surprising, scary, just a goddamn home run.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I wanted to sit down tonight and play immortality does anyone have any spoiler free tips on how to begin started playing a couple nights ago and couldn’t figure out what I should be doing

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

SilkyP posted:

I wanted to sit down tonight and play immortality does anyone have any spoiler free tips on how to begin started playing a couple nights ago and couldn’t figure out what I should be doing

There's no right or wrong way to approach it, really, as long as you're paying attention and clicking on people or things to be brought to new clips. You'll notice certain cues that hint you should be paying a bit more attention—heed those.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have, broad or specific, unless I can't answer without spoiling something.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I have a question about Immortality. At the very start when there's a lot of clips to choose from and you pick one is there no going back to all of those clips again? You basically start the game with only that one?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

1glitch0 posted:

I have a question about Immortality. At the very start when there's a lot of clips to choose from and you pick one is there no going back to all of those clips again? You basically start the game with only that one?

Yeah, you have to start at one clip and build out from there. I've seen a bunch of folks react to that opening like "I thought I hosed something up." It was an odd choice.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Toaster Beef posted:

Yeah, you have to start at one clip and build out from there. I've seen a bunch of folks react to that opening like "I thought I hosed something up." It was an odd choice.

Oh thanks. Good to know! Yeah I thought I couldn't figure out a button combo to go back or something.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Toaster Beef posted:

There's no right or wrong way to approach it, really, as long as you're paying attention and clicking on people or things to be brought to new clips. You'll notice certain cues that hint you should be paying a bit more attention—heed those.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have, broad or specific, unless I can't answer without spoiling something.

Thanks! I’ll give it another spin tonight!

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Spiritfarer was one of those gamepass games I thought Epic had already given out for free. Whoops.

spaceblancmange fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 3, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/katsuyathefuuk/status/1565877948997148672?s=21&t=UGEg3x9AErhznCklQ-sT4A

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I totally understand why people are disappointed by 343i giving up on local split screen, but there is a huge gap between it working in an old game on an old system or it somewhat working with a glitch and actual multi-platform ship-able quality. They totally could have pulled it off with enough time/money, but my guess is that they couldn't justify the cost vs the limited number of people that would actually use it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Specifically the unlockable weapons, which are honestly not too easy to obtain

The first boss is kind of an early roadblock if you are playing as Leon, but on the the other hand it's weakness is [spoilers]headshots[/sploler]

I was too lazy to get Claire's unlock but I did Leon's pretty easily in 2 tries. I was pissed when I was just 20 minutes too slow the first time lol.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

I was too lazy to get Claire's unlock but I did Leon's pretty easily in 2 tries. I was pissed when I was just 20 minutes too slow the first time lol.

Huh. The grenade launcher is such a useful weapon I mostly stick to Claire

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Huh. The grenade launcher is such a useful weapon I mostly stick to Claire

I beat the game as both back to back then immediately like a day later did the two quick Leon runs so I kind of burnt myself out on it lol.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I played a lot of immortality. The weird stuff isnt that exciting but im not at the end yet. I feel like the secret plot is kinda passe idk. Maybe they pull it off at the end

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Sometimes the controller starts rumbling, that took me a while. Don't think that was explained or I missed it. Discovered it by accident.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I think finding by it by accident is part of the plan to give you that "Oh!" Moment.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fallout 76 is now the most played RPG on Xbox, so please, phil but FFXIV or even fricken WoW on this thing please god.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Real hurthling! posted:

I played a lot of immortality. The weird stuff isnt that exciting but im not at the end yet. I feel like the secret plot is kinda passe idk. Maybe they pull it off at the end

It didn't for me, will be curious to see how others got to the ending cause I knew who was who by the 2oe but clicked one randomly in a mirror looking for more clips and hit the ending suddenly lol

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
It's weird because you can and probably will hit credits long before you actually have the entire story or anywhere near all of the clips. There's one clip that is definitively the end of the narrative, and that's what'll trip the credits, but unless you're stupendously lucky you'll still have a bunch of gaps throughout the rest of the story and clip library.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Can't work out if Immortality is really good or if Sam Barlow just invented the jigsaw and everyone is too afraid to admit it

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Alchenar posted:

Can't work out if Immortality is really good or if Sam Barlow just invented the jigsaw and everyone is too afraid to admit it
imo really good innovations often make people think "this is so simple, why didn't anyone do this before"

No matter what it's derivative of, it's a totally unique experience for me

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
Does anyone know the situation with the Xbox Wireless Headset?

It's raising an eyebrow for me because it's not available at like, any retailer anymore and only direct through Microsoft.

It feels like they're either killing it, or pulling back due to supply in prep for an Xbox Wireless Headset 2 launch.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Barudak posted:

Fallout 76 is now the most played RPG on Xbox, so please, phil but FFXIV or even fricken WoW on this thing please god.
There's been rumors and talks about FFXIV on Xbox ever since A Realm Reborn came out, but there's always been something in the way. Maybe one day.

I think there were rumors of a WoW Console Edition floating around roughly seven seconds before all of the everything happened with Blizzard?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Alchenar posted:

Its ok. Theres only really one trick to it. Could have been deeper.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Will Serious Sam 4 ever not run like poo poo?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Kins posted:

There's been rumors and talks about FFXIV on Xbox ever since A Realm Reborn came out, but there's always been something in the way. Maybe one day.

I think there were rumors of a WoW Console Edition floating around roughly seven seconds before all of the everything happened with Blizzard?

There was a mobile WoW in development, but it was canceled.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Disposable Scud posted:

Yes but not on this console

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Disposable Scud posted:

Serious question; would it matter? It looked pretty rough in videos at release and I’ve give Sam a lot of leeway.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Tinykin is a bunch of fun. Pikmin-meets-3D-platformer with excellent controls/feel. Not particularly challenging, but if you're the "explore every corner of the space and find every last nugget" type like I am there's plenty there for you.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I said come in! posted:

There was a mobile WoW in development, but it was canceled.

There was also a mobile FF11 remake in development that seems to have been canceled

Live games really suffer from being on an additional platform, even blizzard stuff like Hearthstone on iOS/android delays updates across multiple platforms waiting for one of them to approve

Edit: if they’re live games where everyone on every platform is playing together. FF14 is on windows and ps4 and has issues, they specifically discontinued ps3 because it was getting to be a hassle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Fly Ricky posted:

Serious question; would it matter? It looked pretty rough in videos at release and I’ve give Sam a lot of leeway.

I hear that the Siberian expansion that was made by an entirely different group salvaged a decent game out of the wreckage of Sam 4. No joke.