Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Julet Esqu posted:

In other news, Comics Curmudgeon has alerted me to this development in Gil Thorp:

We haven't had Gil Thorp in this thread for a while and it recently got a new writer, so this might be a good time to start posting it again to see how it is. If anyone has any strong opinions one way or the other, now's the time to say them.

The important part:

Joshreads.com posted:

Welcome to Oreintation for the Milford School of Mines. The crew team’s Oarintation is across the hall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

This Is Boring. I Am Bored.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (December 19-25, 1983)

John 3: 1-21 for those curious

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

lol "Oreintation"

Modesty Blaise: The Jericho Caper

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

e:

Julet Esqu posted:

In other news, Comics Curmudgeon has alerted me to this development in Gil Thorp:

We haven't had Gil Thorp in this thread for a while and it recently got a new writer, so this might be a good time to start posting it again to see how it is. If anyone has any strong opinions one way or the other, now's the time to say them.
If nothing else, it's nice to see a writer remember that trans dudes exist.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 3, 2022

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Doomykins posted:

Batiuk lost me when the most popular queen bee of the class started pretending she "felt left out" without any actual story to it. Wanna show that the person perceived as winning is still having problems? Cool. Just tossed it in and expect anyone to believe it? Nope!

A good writer could have used that to reveal a side of that character where her popularity was a front for how insecure she felt throughout high school, and how her meanness (?) to others was trying to make others feel as bad as she did. That's probably a bit trite these days, but it could have worked.

Instead, we got Batiuk hamfistedly handling high school reunions.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

Thorp me up.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Julet Esqu posted:

I think it would be cool if Gil got added back to the rotation. The storyline before this one had his wife threatening to leave him because she thought he was hitting on a bartender or something. I didn't really follow the whole thing and I sort of caught snippets on the This Week In Milford blog, but Gil Thorp seems to be a hell of a lot more interesting recently than it was before.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

Dare I say, 'It's Thorpin' time'?

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

¡Aragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Whoops, got my threads mixed up!
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Oct 10, 1953)

Choosing to interpret that line as Lucy having been literally purchased as a baby and fitting this fact into my elaborate Peanuts headcanon.

Calvin and Hobbes (Apr 8-9, 1992)

Big Nate

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Right on, Arnold.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Professor Wayne posted:

Hagar the Horrible

Wasn't expecting this kind of gag from Hägar.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass

Choosing to interpret that line as Lucy having been literally purchased as a baby and fitting this fact into my elaborate Peanuts headcanon.

Calvin and Hobbes (Apr 8-9, 1992)

Big Nate

Nate the Minion is weirding me out.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

readingatwork posted:

$5 in 1953 = $55.48 in 2022.

I don't have kids, but I can feel the parents that I know laughing their asses off at that price.

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Apr 9, 1992)

Speaking of parents, just in case anyone could think I might make a good one, I've done more than a few aggravating bicycle repairs and I'm 100% on Dad's side here.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (September 18-20, 1922)

Toonerville Folks (December 11-13, 1919)

Dok's Dippy Dog Ate The Beginning Of The Strip (May 2, 1914)

Little Lefty (April 23-24, 1937)

Blondie From Zero, in which we finally, for-real-this-time, get rid of Gil and hit the reset button on our premise. Hoo...ray? (October 10-12, 1932)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Not the most subtle of revenges, but I can dig it.

And, while recovering picking wild blueberries, I can post today's Blueberry: Ah, well... McClure was never getting into heaven anyway, or Public entertainment in Chihuahua sure was grisly back in the day, or Vigo gets the wrong end of the stick

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Powered Descent posted:

$5 in 1953 = $55.48 in 2022.

I don't have kids, but I can feel the parents that I know laughing their asses off at that price.

I'll bet it's more than worth the price.

EasyEW posted:

So. Anyone got any rough estimates on the value of the ruble in 1922?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

Trans rights are human rights.

Unless you meant an opinion about Gil Thorpe, in which case :justpost:

Prince Valiant

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 27, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

EasyEW posted:

It's nice to know the Iraqi dinar scam is ages old.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

riderchop posted:

Olive! Are you trying to get EVERYBODY sued!?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Hippocrass posted:

So. Anyone got any rough estimates on the value of the ruble in 1922?

This is almost certainly the 1917-1922 Soviet Paper Ruble, so the value would round to $0.000

In 1922, the paper ruble was undergoing incredible inflation compared to the specie ruble (at the time1 gold ruble equaled around 50 US cents), similar to the famous hyperinflation in Germany.

In January of 1923, new paper rubles were issued, each worth 1 gold ruble or 1 million 1922 ones - the insane number of zeroes was getting unwieldy. This would value the Major's five million at roughly $2.50. The value did not hold, and continued to freefall.

It would not be until after Stalin solidified power that the USSR began to have a stable currency. After 1927 or so, the paper ruble was officially on par with the specie ruble (again, roughly fifty US cents), and was equal to 50 billion of the 1917-1922 issue. This would make each ruble 1 billionth of a cent.

Even in 1922 when the comic was published, it would be pretty clear that the Major lost his 7 dollars for good.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Gnoman posted:

This is almost certainly the 1917-1922 Soviet Paper Ruble, so the value would round to $0.000

In 1922, the paper ruble was undergoing incredible inflation compared to the specie ruble (at the time1 gold ruble equaled around 50 US cents), similar to the famous hyperinflation in Germany.

In January of 1923, new paper rubles were issued, each worth 1 gold ruble or 1 million 1922 ones - the insane number of zeroes was getting unwieldy. This would value the Major's five million at roughly $2.50. The value did not hold, and continued to freefall.

It would not be until after Stalin solidified power that the USSR began to have a stable currency. After 1927 or so, the paper ruble was officially on par with the specie ruble (again, roughly fifty US cents), and was equal to 50 billion of the 1917-1922 issue. This would make each ruble 1 billionth of a cent.

Even in 1922 when the comic was published, it would be pretty clear that the Major lost his 7 dollars for good.

Yeah, the rate of hyperinflation around then is difficult to really get across. In 1916, just prior to the revolution, 3.5 billion paper rubles were issued. In 1922, 1.9 quadrillion paper rubles were issued.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Been off my posting game lately - packing for a big trip. I do have scans to last me through the trip though!

Nancy 1947

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

L-Innsikt

Pondus

Storefri

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 27, 2000)

Solid post. That Rae got a literal lol from me, which is very rare!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "438 - Jucika Provides First Aid"

"439 - Jucika In A Wave"

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (September 7, 1975)

Oh no...OH NO.

But seriously, Jess, no.

So where were we? Oh, right.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. NONONONONO.

Mutt and Jeff didn't show up for work today! It happens a lot!

So instead, more of the tricky bit of Rip Haywire And The Curse Of Tangaroa! (spoilered for sticking too close to "classic" genre tropes)

Randy Milholland's Popeye answers the magic question "Guess who else was reading 'Spinach Springs' lately?"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

And then he was eaten. Good joke. Everybody laugh.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City is in the Negative Zone today!

seriously why does this keep happening.

Curtis

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Jericho Caper

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

What server is going to come up to your table and ask if you're still eating?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

davidspackage posted:

They do this just as a customer service check to try and keep you in good graces if the management is picky about making sure the customer has a positive image of the restaurant and pushes this/the server is angling for a tip or good review, or you've been there for a minute and they need to clear up a table and it's just a firm but polite nudge of "you may have lost track of the time".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

davidspackage posted:

It's an extremely common way for a table server to ask if you want the plate cleared away.

Bizarro

The drawing has a lot of very accurate details, but that has the side effect of making the anachronism kind of stick out: Klingons didn't have forehead ridges in TOS. :gowron:

The Family Circus

What's Barfy looking so mad about?

FoxTrot