Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Lake Mead has gone up a whopping four feet in a month and a half after multiple torrential downpours. But the weather this week and for the next 10 days in Vegas is 105-110 and sunny. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

GOAT with the jugs posted:

lol, how much does your food cost

People think the price of food is because of Brandon and not the widespread crop failures lmao

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

GOAT with the jugs posted:

lol, how much does your food cost

i only eat chicken wings, so:

https://twitter.com/TODAYshow/status/1560228986332004355

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

lol is this because millions are getting culled due to avian flu again so there's a glut of chickens being processed?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

silicone thrills posted:

lol is this because millions are getting culled due to avian flu again so there's a glut of chickens being processed?

listen, do not burden me with such things as reasons and root causes. im an american!

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

silicone thrills posted:

my sudden, casual desire for wings just went through a rollercoaster in this thread

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
avian flu? more like yum

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

silicone thrills posted:

can't spell seasonal flu without seasoning

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

avian flu? more like yum

Indeed — look no further than KFC, a chicken eatery with more than 24,000 locations worldwide, operated by none other than Yum! Thank you for this exquisite setup; it’s always a pleasure posting with you 😌

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lol i was working in a room near a boiler, steam everywhere. felt like it was 110 or more. i now understand why people go to saunas. when you get to the boiled shrimp state you return to neutral, transcendental. Doesnt even feel hot anymore. Wet bulb ftmfw

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

WaryWarren posted:

Lake Mead has gone up a whopping four feet in a month and a half after multiple torrential downpours. But the weather this week and for the next 10 days in Vegas is 105-110 and sunny. lol

you say water go down but water go up

Checkmate

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

WaryWarren posted:

If ten units of BAD happens people might start to worry, but then one unit of GOOD happens and they convince themselves that the worst is behind them and lose any limited amount of willpower they may have built up to actually address root causes.

Repeat this ad nauseum and you'll see why biosphere collapse is inevitable.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
https://twitter.com/US_Stormwatch/status/1566178437697458176?t=6xerm7nNfurKp28K6Nj0_A&s=19

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I'm glad these heat domes are also happening over North America. Imagine if it was just over the horn of Africa.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Pretty cringe

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

starkebn posted:

I'm glad these heat domes are also happening over North America.

i'm not! now it means this might actually get mentioned in the news taking valuable time away from things like gas prices going up, gas prices going down, and commercials for cars and dick pills

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
what do you have against dick pills, huh?!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

there's a few people i know who keep pestering me and being like "you don't really believe everything is going to collapse right?" and all i respond with is that there is not even a worse way to describe what is happening. climate scientists cannot be more clear or lace their words with more apocalyptic language than they already are. "hottest air mass in recorded history encompassing entire western region" is pretty drat bad sounding

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Stereotype posted:

there's a few people i know who keep pestering me and being like "you don't really believe everything is going to collapse right?" and all i respond with is that there is not even a worse way to describe what is happening. climate scientists cannot be more clear or lace their words with more apocalyptic language than they already are. "hottest air mass in recorded history encompassing entire western region" is pretty drat bad sounding

Sometimes people I know ask me why I don't talk about random climate change articles now and I just say "because it doesn't really matter anymore." Apparently this is more effective at freaking people out and getting them to care than anything else that I've ever said or done.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Stereotype posted:

lol my husband used to be pretty wary of my "shits gonna loving collapse in our lifetime" stance and in the last 2 years he's been totally on board with my preppering food and overbuying staples.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
yeah lol
i literally just said screw it and had been looking at a new car
because why the gently caress not at this point
stocking up just means dying slower
also my ancient (14+yr old) jeep patriot is in a poor state

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

I’m super high right now and this post just blew my mind

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Paradoxish posted:

Sometimes people I know ask me why I don't talk about random climate change articles now and I just say "because it doesn't really matter anymore." Apparently this is more effective at freaking people out and getting them to care than anything else that I've ever said or done.

lol yeah, i've noticed that too. like i never bring it up, it's always someone else, and while i used to be like "we have to dooooo something" i no longer say that. because there's nothing to do. death's cloaked visage is riding his shadowy horse directly at us and all we can do is watch. oh well. it def freaks people out

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I give the "we're already locked in for 2c because we're only seeing the effects of CO2 we pumped into the air 30 years ago and its only gone up since" statement every so often and I really don't like doing it because you can just see the light go out in peoples eyes.

That being said, I do it to people who think stupid poo poo like swapping every car on the road rn for an electric will do meaningful good.

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen

Stereotype posted:

the only response to any disaster under any of the various spheres of doom is that if something bad happened, it was unlinked to anything and has no implications for anything else and we should just stop thinking about it already

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
unlike crappy europeans we americans know 90f-100f is good rear end weather, you just zonk out its good

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

silicone thrills posted:

That being said, I do it to people who think stupid poo poo like swapping every car on the road rn for an electric will do meaningful good.

hell yeah, just need to make a few personal consumption changes (easy ones) and we'll be fine!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

It sure is convenient that solving climate change only requires me to make conspicuous lifestyle upgrades that will impress my peers and improve my standard of living.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
i don't understand people who go through like a car a year or worse
i've spent so much time over the last year looking for something
it's loving frustrating and stressful
why would anyone subject themselves to this poo poo willingly
and each new car is horrifically co2 intensive

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

To be fair, it's by far the worst time in recent memory to actually look at buying a new car. You're not going to get real deals, you're going to overpay, and you're probably going to end up with something that's not exactly what you want anyway.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Seems bad.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

It's a dry heat, don't worry 'bout it.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/SDonziger/status/1564393431476092928

just driving along in the rainforest, spraying toxic sludge on the sides of the road, with a sinking feeling in my stomach that the accursed Captain Planet is going to show up again

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

i sometimes wish there were a physical manifestation of nature that could go kick peoples butts and whatnot

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
goddamn

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

lol chevron must be held accountable that's a good one

there are no meaningful consequences for killing thousands of people, there never are

if you're in a position to kill thousands then you are wholly immune to silly poor person poo poo like consequences

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

even he's just calling for some abstract corporate entity to be held accountable, probably via fine, instead of the very real human beings in the chain of command that made the decisions involved

this is the kind of thing where everybody in the management chain ought to be shot

but yeah, no, this isn't even going to go on the ledger as an operating cost like all the other tiny fines they pay on an annual basis

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

brakeless posted:

https://twitter.com/SDonziger/status/1564393431476092928

just driving along in the rainforest, spraying toxic sludge on the sides of the road, with a sinking feeling in my stomach that the accursed Captain Planet is going to show up again

uh, this guy seems off his rocker a bit?

https://twitter.com/SDonziger/status/1372621865395523585

i only did 5 seconds of looking at his twitter profile though

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

sounds like your consent has been manufactured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

what exactly are you objecting to there? Chevron did in fact get a corrupt judge to imprison him for a month and enforce several years of house arrest as retribution for his legal work in Ecuador

Hubbert posted:

As much as I really hate the Reddit-esque firestorm generated when debating this topic, I'm actually torn on the nuclear energy debate for a reason very much related to this.

The same logic also applies to fossil fuels (which are critically worse), but I always wonder about the "fail safely" side of things.

It's also a reminder that there is no "perfect" form of energy production - just a varying balance of risks we're willing to tolerate in the future along the way.

Cabbage said it best:

:shobon:

molten salt reactors bitch, physically cant melt down. our oil pipelines are going to lay waste to continents when we all die and they fall into disrepair

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Typical, non fail case use of fossil fuels is going to kill us all. Don't get me wrong companies have proven that they won't give nuclear power plants the maintenance that they need, even outside of how dynamic the real world is and how that can make things hard to plan for, but with fossil fuels even if everything goes perfectly according to plan they will kill us all

yeah but its slow and boring so who cares about that. nuclear radiation will melt ur face off so that must be the bigger danger