Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

shrike82 posted:

is there any difference between running Ubuntu on WSL2 and a separate partition/boot entirely?

One is way the hell cooler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
Continuing on hdds. Onedrive/Edge/Office/Windows Store/Defender/Windows update all have different independent update mechanisms that kick on boot. And have to compete with each other/Defender for the hdd. Add to that Chrome/Discord/Dropbox with their updates also running on boot. Add to that Chome running essentially additional antivirus full system scan on first launch after update. And the poor hdd can't keep up.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

shrike82 posted:

is there any difference between running Ubuntu on WSL2 and a separate partition/boot entirely?

I'm not sure what you are trying to solve I guess?

The advantage of WSL2 is that you can actually be running both at the same time. You can interop between the two if you want to force the issue and it's pretty loving awesome for some use cases. I used to have to do Python development and I could contain all my environments for test on my WSL2 instance, but do all my real development on Windows.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MikusR posted:

Continuing on hdds. Onedrive/Edge/Office/Windows Store/Defender/Windows update all have different independent update mechanisms that kick on boot. And have to compete with each other/Defender for the hdd. Add to that Chrome/Discord/Dropbox with their updates also running on boot. Add to that Chome running essentially additional antivirus full system scan on first launch after update. And the poor hdd can't keep up.

Chrome runs its own antivirus? What?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm not sure what you are trying to solve I guess?

The advantage of WSL2 is that you can actually be running both at the same time. You can interop between the two if you want to force the issue and it's pretty loving awesome for some use cases. I used to have to do Python development and I could contain all my environments for test on my WSL2 instance, but do all my real development on Windows.

Pycharm into remote SSH projects - not sure if Pycharm Win is full featured as the Linux version

Also, run the occasional jupyter notebook and Python script locally

There’s surprisingly little info about WSL2 online, specifically whether there’s any performance hit

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

shrike82 posted:

There’s surprisingly little info about WSL2 online, specifically whether there’s any performance hit
If you don't cross VM to local system there is just the virtualization hit that with modern systems is almost zero.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Arivia posted:

Yup. It goes by "cleanup". chrome://settings/cleanup. It's made by ESET, I think.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

shrike82 posted:

Pycharm into remote SSH projects - not sure if Pycharm Win is full featured as the Linux version

Also, run the occasional jupyter notebook and Python script locally

For stuff that doesn't require a GPU the performance is pretty close to just running things bare metal as MikusR said.

We've also been playing around with the GPU performance of Nvidia stuff on Win11 with WSLg and it's honestly pretty good, roughly 70% of bare metal running simulations in ROS through rviz/gazebo. I haven't tried to optimise anything yet so that's just with the basic Nvidia drivers installed from apt on Ubuntu 20.04 because we wanted to see if we could actually get it to work.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

Tons of malicious browser addons and hijackers out there that target Chrome. Just look at any tech support forum on Reddit, people definitely get infected with that garbage all the time.

The people that click on those Bonzi Buddy ads? They still exist.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

my kinda ape posted:

What are the drivers? Often it's the driver components of like one device showing up in the list as four or five different things. You can usually uninstall the drivers/software for that device, turn on memory protection, and then reinstall the software/drivers.

A bundle of ones for Logitech (probably my mouse), and another bundle for Samsung (probably my secondary SSD). I didn't look at the list that carefully last night, but since it's probably only two updates, I'll try that first.

Edit: Well, I installed the Logitech Gaming Software which said it contained the drivers and is from late May, but the Logitech entries are still there. As for Samsung, I installed their Magician software, but it only wants to look at the drive Windows is installed on.

hooah fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 4, 2022

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

It's unreal how lovely the internet has become as a whole, you can't go to a single site without being asked about cookies or to display notifications, which a troubling amount of people agree to.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

picked up the mini pc and set it up with WSL2/ubuntu

command line stuff seems perfectly fine but anything GUI related seems wonky - there's apparently a very common issue where intellij IDE application windows are stuck in the top-left corner of the screen and there isn't an easy fix

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Any recommendations for a USB fingerprint reader?

Edit: Does the YubiKey allow fingerprint account login as well as providing hardware 2FA?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 4, 2022

Deffon
Mar 28, 2010

shrike82 posted:

picked up the mini pc and set it up with WSL2/ubuntu

command line stuff seems perfectly fine but anything GUI related seems wonky - there's apparently a very common issue where intellij IDE application windows are stuck in the top-left corner of the screen and there isn't an easy fix

Are you running IntelliJ IDEA as a linux binary or as a windows exe?
IntelliJ IDEA and VSCode exe:s are WSL2 aware, but I've had a few hicups with the former over the years.
It was a few years ago I tried using linux GUI binaries, and it seemed wonky at the time at least.

Deffon fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 4, 2022

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

VS Code integrates with WSL really well. When you first start it up after setting up WSL(2), it will ask if you want to set it up. It works just like running it natively, including the git integrations, etc.

It's a pretty solid setup.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Criss-cross posted:

Tons of malicious browser addons and hijackers out there that target Chrome. Just look at any tech support forum on Reddit, people definitely get infected with that garbage all the time.

The people that click on those Bonzi Buddy ads? They still exist.

Oh I knew about that and browser sandboxing. I just didn’t know Chrome ran it’s own antivirus. Today I learned, no big deal.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Edit: Does the YubiKey allow fingerprint account login as well as providing hardware 2FA?

I'd be interested in this, too.

One thing I've liked in Windows 11 is that my laptop unlocks super fast and easy using Windows Hello, which is probably not the most secure thing but goddamn it's convenient. I've also gotten spoiled using biometrics on my phone instead of passwords, so having that option elsewhere would be cool.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Arivia posted:

no big deal.

Unless you are troubleshooting why a couple year old laptop takes a couple hours to get in a usable state after boot.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

WattsvilleBlues posted:

No, the YubiKey Bio is only for gating the U2F actions.

I use a Logitech Brio camera, so I don't have any recommendations for Hello fingerprint sensors.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

hooah posted:

Edit: Well, I installed the Logitech Gaming Software which said it contained the drivers and is from late May, but the Logitech entries are still there. As for Samsung, I installed their Magician software, but it only wants to look at the drive Windows is installed on.

Logitech Gaming Software is depreciated I think and has been replaced by Logitech G Hub which doesn't run afoul of memory protection (I think). The downside is it doesn't support a lot of older devices so you might be SOL if you have an older keyboard/mouse/whatever. Like I said though I think you can usually uninstall the offending software/drivers and reinstall them after turning on memory protection and everything will work happily.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

my kinda ape posted:

Logitech Gaming Software is depreciated I think and has been replaced by Logitech G Hub which doesn't run afoul of memory protection (I think). The downside is it doesn't support a lot of older devices so you might be SOL if you have an older keyboard/mouse/whatever. Like I said though I think you can usually uninstall the offending software/drivers and reinstall them after turning on memory protection and everything will work happily.

Not sure what happened. The only driver-like thing I actually updated (beyond installing Logitech Gaming Software) was my motherboard's BIOS. Now memory protection is happily on. :shrug:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Also you can just click dismiss on the suggestion to turn on Memory Protection if you have software / drivers that are incompatible.

It's a nice feature to have for security but not absolutely critical. And it's now a required thing for Windows Compatibility going forward, so at some point you'll have a new mouse and won't need LGS anymore.

hooah posted:

As for Samsung, I installed their Magician software, but it only wants to look at the drive Windows is installed on.

You can just remove Magician, it's not critical to have running all the time. The samsung drive itself is using the standard Windows NVMe drive. You only need to have Magician installed to:
1) have an easy tool to securely erase the drive
2) get info for a warranty RMA in very particular circumstances
3) click the "make my PC faster" buttons that gently caress up your power use by setting the CPU to 100% all the time

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Klyith posted:

Also you can just click dismiss on the suggestion to turn on Memory Protection if you have software / drivers that are incompatible.

It's a nice feature to have for security but not absolutely critical. And it's now a required thing for Windows Compatibility going forward, so at some point you'll have a new mouse and won't need LGS anymore.

Good to know. My mouse is a G502 so it's not like it's ancient.

quote:

You can just remove Magician, it's not critical to have running all the time. The samsung drive itself is using the standard Windows NVMe drive. You only need to have Magician installed to:
1) have an easy tool to securely erase the drive
2) get info for a warranty RMA in very particular circumstances
3) click the "make my PC faster" buttons that gently caress up your power use by setting the CPU to 100% all the time

I actually didn't have Magician installed. And it doesn't want to see the Samsung SSD anyhow since it's not where Windows is installed. But also, more good information.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Arivia posted:

If you download a big fuckin exe, Chrome doesn't let you open it for a bit because it has to "scan" it. Until then the .exe doesn't even appear in your download folder - it has a different file name. Afaik this scan is independent of Windows defender etc.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I think thats true of all chrome/edge downloads, or at least all exes. You'll notice downloads appear as something like gnguieh.unconfirmed in your downloads folder until its done/scanned.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
protip: if your Chrome download gets stuck scanning forever but is at 99.9% downloaded, just go to your downloads folder and change ".unconfirmed" to whatever the extension of the file you are trying to download is. it works every time

Chrome won't know you've done this so it will still try to download/scan that last 0.1% until you close and re-open the browser, at which point it'll ask you if you want to retry the download. it's a little annoying but for some reason it happens to me often, usually when downloading stuff from GitHub

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

barnold posted:

protip: if your Chrome download gets stuck scanning forever but is at 99.9% downloaded, just go to your downloads folder and change ".unconfirmed" to whatever the extension of the file you are trying to download is. it works every time

Chrome won't know you've done this so it will still try to download/scan that last 0.1% until you close and re-open the browser, at which point it'll ask you if you want to retry the download. it's a little annoying but for some reason it happens to me often, usually when downloading stuff from GitHub

When you have no antivirus this doesn't happen.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Windows randomly stopped recognizing that I have fTPM enabled, and the random video hitching (almost every second on some videos, not at all on others) was still happening. So I said gently caress it, turned off fTPM, and the video hitching stopped

I have no idea why Windows stopped recognizing TPM. And I don't know if I should blame AMD, Asus (mobo manufacturer), or Microsoft here. Same with the stuttering.

Windows booted me back down to the release preview channel once it stopped recognizing the fTPM, but I thankfully still have the windows updates from the beta channel installed. Whatever they did really did help with the HDR to SDR tone mapping while HDR mode is available, so it would've sucked to lose that.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Windows randomly stopped recognizing that I have fTPM enabled, and the random video hitching (almost every second on some videos, not at all on others) was still happening. So I said gently caress it, turned off fTPM, and the video hitching stopped

I have no idea why Windows stopped recognizing TPM. And I don't know if I should blame AMD, Asus (mobo manufacturer), or Microsoft here. Same with the stuttering.

Stuttering you blame on AMD: this is a known bug that had been around forever but only got attention when everyone turned on TPM to get 11.

If you're not on the most recent BIOS for your motherboard you can try an update. AMD claims that they fixed this, but they also claimed they fixed the USB bug many times. (In their defense, a long-standing hardware bug that probably dates back to Zen 1 but nobody ever noticed because nobody used fTPM is probably not an easy magic fix.)

Windows not recognizing the TPM, I have no idea. Was this a clean install of 11 with all requirements met / MS account during install / no overrides? It'd be super funny if Windows was successfully unlocking the drive with your TPM key and then claiming you didn't have a TPM.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So are they going to ever expand the processor requirements? My home PC and laptop are fine but on the old i5 6XXX series. :(

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its driving me nuts because I'm looking for an old clunker to be my plex server, host my unifi and put my work junk on and 6th gen i5 and i7 machines can be had for a song, but cant run W11. It sets a gross precedent, one of the things you could always count on with Windows compared to macos is if you have the hardware to run it, you can run it, no frivolously locking you out of updates to force you to buy new.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

On the flip side though, it's made 7th-gen machines really cheap and they will be more than adequate for a Plex box. Windows 10 is supported through to 2025.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Vintersorg posted:

So are they going to ever expand the processor requirements? My home PC and laptop are fine but on the old i5 6XXX series. :(

No, and there's actually a mostly* good reason for the CPU requirements: a hardware feature called Mode Based Execution Control that is important to the security system going forward. Using HVCI aka Memory Integrity, Defender and the windows core are* protected by the virtualization hardware. Neaning that even if you click yes on a UAC prompt a normal program can't muck with their memory.

MBEC isn't totally necessary to use HVCI, but it is a massive performance impact in some conditions. MBEC was added in the AMD Zen 2** (ryzen 3000 desktop / 4000 laptop) and Intel 7000 CPUs.

*none of these features are active by default yet, so...

**but MS made an exception and put Zen+ CPUs on the supported list because they were selling a Surface laptop with no MBEC when they announced Win11.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

codo27 posted:

Its driving me nuts because I'm looking for an old clunker to be my plex server, host my unifi and put my work junk on and 6th gen i5 and i7 machines can be had for a song, but cant run W11. It sets a gross precedent, one of the things you could always count on with Windows compared to macos is if you have the hardware to run it, you can run it, no frivolously locking you out of updates to force you to buy new.

What's funny about this is that I just updated my 2013 MacBook Pro to Big Sur.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

codo27 posted:

Sounds like a poor use case for Windows anyway so they're doing you a favor.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Klyith posted:

No, and there's actually a mostly* good reason for the CPU requirements: a hardware feature called Mode Based Execution Control that is important to the security system going forward. Using HVCI aka Memory Integrity, Defender and the windows core are* protected by the virtualization hardware. Neaning that even if you click yes on a UAC prompt a normal program can't muck with their memory.

MBEC isn't totally necessary to use HVCI, but it is a massive performance impact in some conditions. MBEC was added in the AMD Zen 2** (ryzen 3000 desktop / 4000 laptop) and Intel 7000 CPUs.

**but MS made an exception and put Zen+ CPUs on the supported list because they were selling a Surface laptop with no MBEC when they announced Win11.

Thanks for this! It at least puts a major reason why.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Klyith posted:

And yet intel xx-7xxx processors aren’t on the supported list for some reason, which is really weird. MS STILL hasn’t said why.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

codo27 posted:

why do you need windows 11 for any of this. just install 10??

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I just want everything to be the same. Its not rational, I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There are guides for installing 11 on unsupported systems, you basically just tell Windows that you want to do it against their advisement and it lets you. Whether it affects performance I have no idea, but it seemed to work just fine for me.