Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Event #7

https://www.17lands.com/draft/c68c3e27ce3445808504ef9d73f1bb87

Opened Balmor in a pack with a weak rare so UR spells it is again lol. I guess I could have taken Cut Down to stay more open.

Opened a Grixis mythic pack 3 and I lucked out having picked an RB dual land earlier just in case. I thought the archetype wasn't fully there by pack 3 and was wondering whether I would have to play some of the speculative white card or red lowtier filler... but then I got passed Lightning Strikes on 2, 6(!?) and 9(?!?!?!?!) and Electrostatic Infantry on 4 and literal last pick lol

UR out of every archetype is the one that most wants to stick to 2 colors. The vineshapers are going to be absolutely dogshit in your deck, those have to go. The mythic is pretty good but really hard to cast, probably should be cut as well. If you want to be doing the splashy stuff with 4 colors you need way more than 3 dual lands and a lovely grotto. Also dont play 16 lands when your mana base is already so bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Read this after taking two losses. I cut the Vineshapers but did not do anything else since out of all my problems, casting Sol-Kanar on curve was not one of them.

Lost again to Defiler of Vigor, oh well

2-3

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Running this one tomorrow.

Event #8

https://www.17lands.com/draft/97602e7d046645c88539df8799e0affd

Opened a Valiant Veteran and wanted to try it. I have two Benalish Sleepers and a couple of other Soldier makers. Baird splashed in for synergy, if both are out that's a 2/2 every turn. Other Orzhov cards to round things out: black kill and sacrifice stuff that might enable Necromass at the top end, white lifegain (to balance out the toxic abominations, this deck would probably be better if I could have gotten better filler than that lol) protection, and tapping. A number of cards with blue kickers so a couple of blue duals for that. Honestly the creature count seems too shaky to run Bone Splinters... but maybe better here than Fires of Victory?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Definitely bone splinters. Fires is not a double splash level card and the single splash isn't doing you much later in the game as it is

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

got my first trophy with defender domain. super fun deck to play. argosy with wingmantle chaplain is insane. but it feels super sketchy to draft, i think it doesn't come together unless you get removal and payoffs and a bunch of lands. fortunately the lands are consistently wheeling right now, but that probably won't last

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Actually I lied and couldn't help myself, played through the draft.

I shouldn't have. Quick 0-3. Felt terrible playing every game

I love drawing lands. Absolutely love it.

Also showcased the key feature of this deck, being completely stopped by walls. This one was also a mill deck so the ignominiousness of this defeat and the dark thoughts it inspired means I should probably pause. I've converted all my gold to gems anyway and still have 5 drafts banked.

Wondering what kind of variance meant that my first set coming back, NEO, had me getting three trophies release weekend and since then I haven't gotten 3 trophies in whole sets lol, thinking about the alternate timeline where I just ate so many losses from the beginning and didn't spend so much time this year on this

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Actually I lied and couldn't help myself, played through the draft.

I shouldn't have. Quick 0-3. Felt terrible playing every game

I love drawing lands. Absolutely love it.

Also showcased the key feature of this deck, being completely stopped by walls. This one was also a mill deck so the ignominiousness of this defeat and the dark thoughts it inspired means I should probably pause. I've converted all my gold to gems anyway and still have 5 drafts banked.

Wondering what kind of variance meant that my first set coming back, NEO, had me getting three trophies release weekend and since then I haven't gotten 3 trophies in whole sets lol, thinking about the alternate timeline where I just ate so many losses from the beginning and didn't spend so much time this year on this

Not to pile on, but just from mostly lurking this thread you have a whole lot of posts involving this game making you feel bad and regretting playing it. Maybe taking a break can help and maybe you just shouldn't play the game at all, but either way you should seriously consider uninstalling. I've taken breaks for extended periods of time before, and while I admittedly find my way back eventually, I can vouch for it being way better to dip in and out than to keep trying to will the game into being fun when it's not.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
frankly you're in the double digits in terms of number of people who've recommended charlie take a break in some form or play with an audience to help them improve, and at this point it's clear that they have no interest in taking that advice from anyone. it'd be nice if that wasn't the case, but adding to that pile really is wasted effort

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s part/most of the reason I wish you’d just make a Limited thread, about half the thread is just Charlie Foxtrot’s adventures in getting mad at Limited. I’d rather a slower moving thread that focused on Arena, Arena formats, the new cards, decklists etc than a thread that is just 50%+ one poster going “I know everyone says this card is bad, so I drafted 9 of them and lost. I hate magic”

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mean if you want to post about other things, you can and I think that would be great. I read all the other posts that come up here and think they're cool for the most part, I share other Magic things I see here when I think they're relevant

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s part/most of the reason I wish you’d just make a Limited thread, about half the thread is just Charlie Foxtrot’s adventures in getting mad at Limited. I’d rather a slower moving thread that focused on Arena, Arena formats, the new cards, decklists etc than a thread that is just 50%+ one poster going “I know everyone says this card is bad, so I drafted 9 of them and lost. I hate magic”

they're still fine posts, bust rodd, and even if it's somewhat frustrating to want to see charlie take advice it's still content that's worth being in this thread

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean if you want to post about other things, you can and I think that would be great. I read all the other posts that come up here and think they're cool for the most part, I share other Magic things I see here when I think they're relevant

it would be cool if you didn’t monopolize the thread with constant bad vibes it makes me not want to read or post in it

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Managed to trophy with this thing almost entirely off the back of Elas and the cult conscripts. Feels like if you're going to be a low curve aggressive deck you really can't be mucking around with too many taplands and splashes because your window to kill gets absolutely slammed shut if the go big domain or defender decks get a chance to get onto the board. I know that's a typical thing for aggro in any format but it feels especially pronounced here with the off-color kicker cards and encouragement toward a splash color. As a sidenote, Captain's Call is 100% gonna be my most drafted card, it just always seems to have a use

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

captains call into phalanx has been a consistently great combo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Time posted:

it would be cool if you didn’t monopolize the thread with constant bad vibes it makes me not want to read or post in it

Having to respond to callouts just makes it look like I'm dumping more in the thread but w/e, I am definitely trying to keep more pozzy with the new thread so sorry if my post after getting my first 0-3 of the weekend gives you bad vibes or whatever

It's a new release, I want to post about it, it's the weekend and this is the place I'm talking about it, if you want to post about new standard decks or whatever how am I stopping you

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Having to respond to callouts just makes it look like I'm dumping more in the thread but w/e, I am definitely trying to keep more pozzy with the new thread so sorry if my post after getting my first 0-3 of the weekend gives you bad vibes or whatever

It's a new release, I want to post about it, it's the weekend and this is the place I'm talking about it, if you want to post about new standard decks or whatever how am I stopping you

It is incredibly doubtful that after all you've demonstrated, you will do anything other than post your drafts with some feelbads and how you managed to make a mistake. It really does bring the thread down when you are by far the most prolific limited poster here and have somewhat disasterous runs.

Your content is much better suited for a discord where all this can be hashed out in real time, and then quickly forgotten as the chat continues to scroll, but you (for whatever reason) disregard every suggestion we provide to you. :shrug:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Drewjitsu posted:

It is incredibly doubtful that after all you've demonstrated, you will do anything other than post your drafts with some feelbads and how you managed to make a mistake. It really does bring the thread down when you are by far the most prolific limited poster here and have somewhat disasterous runs.

Your content is much better suited for a discord where all this can be hashed out in real time, and then quickly forgotten as the chat continues to scroll, but you (for whatever reason) disregard every suggestion we provide to you. :shrug:

It's specifically your constant high and mighty condescension towards me that would be the most likely thing to make me stop posting entirely, but you can settle for putting me on ignore I guess

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's specifically your constant high and mighty condescension towards me that would be the most likely thing to make me stop posting entirely, but you can settle for putting me on ignore I guess

you've done 8 drafts, tell us what you've learned

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What do you mean? Like, I've talked about stuff when I posted my drafts in trying to figure out the format here, what else do i need to add to justify my existence here

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

studio mujahideen posted:

captains call into phalanx has been a consistently great combo

I really need to value the phalanx higher they never seem to wheel for me but I am not picking them highly at all. They seem good in those UW and GW token decks that get a nice benefit out of being to put those both out the same turn or phalanx + other spell same turn.

Format so far seems real good. It looks like right now on 17lands the aggro two color decks have the best win rates but I wonder if that has to do with too many people trying to get cute with splashing and tap lands rather than the big stuff decks not being able to compete. I’ve seen a lot of opponents playing some really questionable splashes just because the format enables it well

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh is this what a kicker/domain manabase is supposed to look like lol

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The GB Yargle deck has Destined to Lead in it. When you use the frog emblem to sacrifice a creature with temporary invincibility from Destined, the frog will get permanent invincibility.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Kashuno posted:

I really need to value the phalanx higher they never seem to wheel for me but I am not picking them highly at all. They seem good in those UW and GW token decks that get a nice benefit out of being to put those both out the same turn or phalanx + other spell same turn.

Format so far seems real good. It looks like right now on 17lands the aggro two color decks have the best win rates but I wonder if that has to do with too many people trying to get cute with splashing and tap lands rather than the big stuff decks not being able to compete. I’ve seen a lot of opponents playing some really questionable splashes just because the format enables it well

I think this is it. It's really easy to get unfocused when "all your cards are white and blue" and then you realize that you have kicker costs in two other colours. I think you really have to draft and remember which kicker cards are good without the kicker and which are really gold cards.

Drafted UW soldiers to a nice 7-0 today, Raff is a disgusting card when he activates.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So it is very enjoyable watching everyone who talked about it in preview season eat absolute poo poo as Sheoldred appears to actually be the nut.
Gums up the ground, dodges most removal, makes profitable attacks unprofitable due to deathtouch, stabilizes life against aggro, makes on-time Fable of the Mirror-Breakers and Raffine attacks absolutely miserable and generally just concludes the game pretty effectively.
What are this card's weaknesses? It can't just be "lol dies to Doom Blade" because other than Infernal Grasp, most of the Doom Blades in this format are conditional in a way that she dodges. She's even ahead of The Meathook Massacre for at least a few turns.

I am very not-high on Cut Down, too. It just hits so very, very little after turn 2 that I'd rather just have a disfigure effect that at least functions as a combat trick later in the game rather than be literally dead.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

I've only faced (lost to) Sheoldred
in limited and brawl so far, but it seems like very good and I think I may craft some.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jim Davis was brewing a deck that was all about drawing a bunch of cards off Silver Scrutiny and when op cast Sheoldred he was like "welp i guess we lose"

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

this set seems way more intuitive than past sets to me. idk if im just getting lucky but im typically p average and my drafts so far have been successful. the synergy is pretty obvious and i typically "get" what kind of deck i should be making with colors. more advanced drafters might find that boring probably but it makes me feel Smart.

also yeah still havent played constructed this set but ive lost every limited game where opp resolves sheoldred. lots of the white and black removal hits her but i never seem to have the right card when shes on board

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

So it is very enjoyable watching everyone who talked about it in preview season eat absolute poo poo as Sheoldred appears to actually be the nut.
Gums up the ground, dodges most removal, makes profitable attacks unprofitable due to deathtouch, stabilizes life against aggro, makes on-time Fable of the Mirror-Breakers and Raffine attacks absolutely miserable and generally just concludes the game pretty effectively.
What are this card's weaknesses? It can't just be "lol dies to Doom Blade" because other than Infernal Grasp, most of the Doom Blades in this format are conditional in a way that she dodges. She's even ahead of The Meathook Massacre for at least a few turns.

I am very not-high on Cut Down, too. It just hits so very, very little after turn 2 that I'd rather just have a disfigure effect that at least functions as a combat trick later in the game rather than be literally dead.

I got super lucky and picked up 3 Sheoldreds on day 1 thanks to packs and the renewal egg and then slammed down a wildcard for #4. I have a gut feeling Sheoldred is going to eat a ban in the future. I've been playing Golgari with her just to slam down a Tamiyo's when my opponent desperately tries to remove her. She single-handedly shuts down Connive decks and the Celestus just by existing, it's nuts.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'm glad a card with the title The Apocalypse is living up to its name

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I think I discovered what I like about limited formats and it’s if I can run a super greedy Temur type deck where I ramp out a shitload of lands and drop big beefy idiots. And I can absolutely do that in Dominaria United.

That green bear that can be kicked for for an Impulse rocks. Tatyova rocks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

40 lbs to freedom posted:

this set seems way more intuitive than past sets to me. idk if im just getting lucky but im typically p average and my drafts so far have been successful. the synergy is pretty obvious and i typically "get" what kind of deck i should be making with colors. more advanced drafters might find that boring probably but it makes me feel Smart.

also yeah still havent played constructed this set but ive lost every limited game where opp resolves sheoldred. lots of the white and black removal hits her but i never seem to have the right card when shes on board
had a limited game where my opponent got sheoldred down, then vesuvan duplimancy.

That game ended very, very quickly

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
Everybody is roping today so much that I started doing duolingo on the side. At least it's not time fully wasted.

kaaj fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 4, 2022

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

kaaj posted:

Everybody is roping so much that I started doing duolingo on the side. At least it's not time fully wasted.

It's pretty endemic on arena, since other than obnoxious emotes (which can be turned off) is the only way to be salty and do bad manners. But I think this close to a set launch it might be more likely that people are just crashing more often

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Sheoldred + Mirror Box + Love Song of Night and Day let’s goooo

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What do you mean? Like, I've talked about stuff when I posted my drafts in trying to figure out the format here, what else do i need to add to justify my existence here
They are asking if you learned anything because you play a lot but it's mostly just resulting in more or less random "this time I won" and "this time I lost" reports. This coupled with you not taking the advice to go on the Discord, stream games, get live advice etc., makes you feel like a fanfiction writer who internalized "practice makes perfect" and proceeds to write 1000 pages of the worst dreck ever put to paper, then when told it's bad goes "guess I didn't write enough words".

We're all assuming you want to improve both your gameplay and your mindset, but that doesn't seem to be your actual priority. It's frustrating to see you beat yourself up again and again because I at least want to see you succeed and also chill out more and have fun with the game.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I’ve been doing pretty good with this set and have yet to draft more than two colors; the thing that has been working for me is to pick a two-color combo and hard force it hoping to drive people splashing for my bombs out of it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Kashuno posted:

Managed to trophy with this thing almost entirely off the back of Elas and the cult conscripts. Feels like if you're going to be a low curve aggressive deck you really can't be mucking around with too many taplands and splashes because your window to kill gets absolutely slammed shut if the go big domain or defender decks get a chance to get onto the board. I know that's a typical thing for aggro in any format but it feels especially pronounced here with the off-color kicker cards and encouragement toward a splash color. As a sidenote, Captain's Call is 100% gonna be my most drafted card, it just always seems to have a use

This is absolutely my experience of trying a couple of more midrangey aggro decks. I got absolutely loving wrecked by people stalling and then playing huge dorks.

E: I'm pretty much finding standard kind of boring already, but messing with a few new, interesting 2-mana brawl commanders is pretty sun. Balmor as a tempo commander is fantastic, Elas Il-Kor looks really interesting, Raf (probably as another tepo deck) also looks really interesting, and building them right is a super interesting hallenge.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 4, 2022

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
I just went 7-1 with this RW deck https://www.17lands.com/deck/e3d5b8107876406ab9ef726995496023/2 but it doesn't really feel very aggro. I found myself holding back attacks quite a few times to get the board a bit wider or to have enough creatures for casting phalanx or monstrosity to break through. Maybe I got a bit lucky because I only played one big green deck (lost) but on the other hand I have a lot of filler cards in there too.

I tried checking 17lands to see what cards were good in RW but somehow almost none of them are? Not sure what's going on there is says RW has 62.5% winrate but most of the commons or uncommons are below that. Does that mean a deck winrate gets dragged upwards a lot by a small number of very good commons/uncommons (or rares) - in this case Prayer of Binding, Knight of Dawns Light, Phyrexian Missionary, Love Song, Benalish Sleeper, Take up the Shield, Keldon Strike Team

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

elbkaida posted:

I just went 7-1 with this RW deck https://www.17lands.com/deck/e3d5b8107876406ab9ef726995496023/2 but it doesn't really feel very aggro. I found myself holding back attacks quite a few times to get the board a bit wider or to have enough creatures for casting phalanx or monstrosity to break through. Maybe I got a bit lucky because I only played one big green deck (lost) but on the other hand I have a lot of filler cards in there too.

I tried checking 17lands to see what cards were good in RW but somehow almost none of them are? Not sure what's going on there is says RW has 62.5% winrate but most of the commons or uncommons are below that. Does that mean a deck winrate gets dragged upwards a lot by a small number of very good commons/uncommons (or rares) - in this case Prayer of Binding, Knight of Dawns Light, Phyrexian Missionary, Love Song, Benalish Sleeper, Take up the Shield, Keldon Strike Team

Pretty much yeah. AFAICT it means the deck is winning because stall for bombs, not because aggro kill with dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
The cleric deck is kinda funny, but not good. You only have anything resembling a chance if you draw more lords then your opponent has removal. if you are able to use the tutor mode, your opponent tends to resign quickly.
That red artifact deck also seems funny. Assuming you can gurantee that you draw all your patchwork automaton in the first 10 cards and the reinforced ronin to grow them twice every turn.