Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

quote:

Hodge said small businesses were not given sufficient support. She said: “There is nobody to ask and there is no system.”

I mean, that just about sums up the problem with everything, doesn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.

"Hello, British Gas? Yes, for this month's bill, can I pay you in sovereignity?"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Comrade Fakename posted:

There was a special episode of HIGNFY which was saying “goodbye” to Boris Johnson and apparently laid into him a lot. I couldn’t see it because I’m on holiday (and I wouldn’t watch that poo poo anyway) - I already know the answer to this but does anyone know if there was even an iota of self-awareness from them in their huge part of his rise in politics?

I don't hate myself so I haven't watched it but the 30th anniversary thing they did a while back was very insistent that they had nothing to do with his rise to power. Which is obvious bullshit when you remember that at the time of his first appearance he was just a magazine editor and his rise as a pop cultural figure was entirely from his HIGNFY appearances.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
they laid into him for the entire show and they mentioned it several times.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Kernel Monsoon posted:

they laid into him for the entire show and they mentioned it several times.

In any way in an 'our bad' kind of way? I haven't watched HIGNFY for years but I might be prepared to risk it for a roast of Boris.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nenonen posted:

The good news is that you don't need to condition the beer separately, it will get lagered while sitting weeks in the Dover truck park.

Not unrefrigerated in 28C heat it won't
(Also, lager? What are you, some kind of European? ;p)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bessantj posted:

Anybody in this thread been to Exeter university? Is it any good? I have a nephew starting there this year.

posh as gently caress, full of the kind of daddy’s money idiots who don’t have the connections to bribe their way into Oxbridge

the Conservative Future was/is the biggest political society on campus

they have a polo society

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Julio Cruz posted:

posh as gently caress, full of the kind of daddy’s money idiots who don’t have the connections to bribe their way into Oxbridge

the Conservative Future was/is the biggest political society on campus

they have a polo society

So? I do, too. Admittedly, it's the mints, but it still marks me out as a cut above.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

serious gaylord posted:

I think you'll find it wasn't JK ho made the goblins hook nosed bankers it was in fact Warner Bros when they made the films and they certainly didnt refer to anything written in any of the books about what they look like and furthermore etc etc.

They have an answer for everything.

In lighter news I did enjoy this:

https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/1566349321750171648

Joe Lycett is becoming more sickos.png by the day, I love it

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

the article posted:

Goods exports from the UK to the EU reached £16.9bn in May, the highest level since figures started in 1997. It is, however, smaller traders who have particularly struggled with the additional paperwork required for exports after Brexit.

Bit surprised about that figure. What, presumably larger traders, are accounting for this overall increase if all the small ones like this brewery are seeing their exports obliterated?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Liz has cracked pork markets wide open and she isn't even PM yet

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Bit surprised about that figure. What, presumably larger traders, are accounting for this overall increase if all the small ones like this brewery are seeing their exports obliterated?
The UK is a turning around zone for Chinese goods in bulk to Europe, which I assume is the drive behind the EU asking that we actually start certifying poo poo instead of just waving it through Actual trade that stops in the UK is hosed. Customs is deliberately obscure and contrary to non-EU sources. My missus works in wholesale, and EU trade has dropped 90%, and what they do try to do gets held up/lost/returned at a ludicrous rate. Like 1 in 10 consignments will have an issue despite paperwork being the same for all.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Could be currency fluctuations. If £v€ has gone down then say if it cost €1000 and rate was 1.15€ to £1 then that's £869.56, and if rate is now €1.1 to £1 then it's £909.09 now so it looks like more.
(NB I haven't checked currency rates these are just examples).
This is why if £drops against $ FTSE 100 goes up because all the dollar investments worth more in £.
Bizarrely at work we've just had value of donations from one platform increase because UK donors using platform have it converted to USD when they pay. We get a monthly payout often 2 months in arrears of all the donations made (all turn into USD regardless of original currency). Then the payout in USD with a platform fee in USD deducted is exchanged to £ when it hits our bank and the end of August payout the effect has been that the fees have increased the donation in £! First time that's happened. I recalculated everything to make sure no error and emailed the ptb to say it wasn't an error.

(Sorry if typos phone posting)

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/piercepenniless/status/1566180111849848833?s=21&t=Dc09o1JH08MOhFBmz2Op1A

I’m seeing a lot of this sentiment now - that the new government will fix this problem in the short term, because they simply have to for society to survive - but… do they? Maybe I’m stuck in doom-mongering mode, but I really think they’re quite content to ride this out and see just how far they can push it without being forced to save people.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

OzyMandrill posted:

The UK is a turning around zone for Chinese goods in bulk to Europe, which I assume is the drive behind the EU asking that we actually start certifying poo poo instead of just waving it through Actual trade that stops in the UK is hosed. Customs is deliberately obscure and contrary to non-EU sources. My missus works in wholesale, and EU trade has dropped 90%, and what they do try to do gets held up/lost/returned at a ludicrous rate. Like 1 in 10 consignments will have an issue despite paperwork being the same for all.

You won't be able to self certify for selling items into Europe as of Jan 1st 2023, all due to the certifying for UKCA. You can have UKCA & CE certification on products by slapping a sticker on though until 2015, but that's dependent on Chinese suppliers actually getting the certification applied to their goods. You have to certify through an EU agency now for CE markings as an example with low voltage electronics, measuring equipment etc.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
This isn't slightly surprising, but still :cripes:

quote:

Liz Truss says it is fair to prioritise tax cuts that benefit high earners more

Prospective PM attacks ‘lens of redistribution’ after being told that national insurance cut will help rich 250 times more than poorest
x

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah but they'll spend it in the economy that isn't working so that will go to the small businesses that had to close and everyone* will end up better off.

*tory donors

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

sinky posted:

This isn't slightly surprising, but still :cripes:

x

I bet at this point t, Brenda is hoping she karks it in her sleep tonight

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Diet Crack posted:

You won't be able to self certify for selling items into Europe as of Jan 1st 2023, all due to the certifying for UKCA. You can have UKCA & CE certification on products by slapping a sticker on though until 2015, but that's dependent on Chinese suppliers actually getting the certification applied to their goods. You have to certify through an EU agency now for CE markings as an example with low voltage electronics, measuring equipment etc.

Distributors are responsible for the CA certification I thought? We're having to make sure all the stuff we sell is getting CA marked and if not we have to pay for the testing.

I also think the extension to the CA deadline came with the caveat of 'If it has a CE mark it counts as having a CA mark' too but I could be wrong on that.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

serious gaylord posted:

Distributors are responsible for the CA certification I thought? We're having to make sure all the stuff we sell is getting CA marked and if not we have to pay for the testing.

I also think the extension to the CA deadline came with the caveat of 'If it has a CE mark it counts as having a CA mark' too but I could be wrong on that.

As of Jan 1st it must have the UKCA marking and the CE mark is not accepted as it is currently - as I understand it the manufacturer is responsible for the markings and compliance unless you have a third party go and inspect the process and certify it. I don't think it's legal to just whack a UKCA sticker on it. Importing through customs will probably want to see the actual certifying documentation - though who loving knows how that's going to work or if it will even work given the amount of nonsense Brexit has caused.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Answers Me posted:

https://twitter.com/piercepenniless/status/1566180111849848833?s=21&t=Dc09o1JH08MOhFBmz2Op1A

I’m seeing a lot of this sentiment now - that the new government will fix this problem in the short term, because they simply have to for society to survive - but… do they? Maybe I’m stuck in doom-mongering mode, but I really think they’re quite content to ride this out and see just how far they can push it without being forced to save people.

The assumption is that they will be forced. If the Chancellor is saying that people on £45k will struggle, when that average full time salary is about £40k, and hundreds of businesses already closing because of energy bills that haven't even been issued yet, people have a touching amount of faith that pressure from the upper middle classes will be enough to prompt some kind of governement action.

The alternative view is that the Tories will hold out for as long as they can lining their own pockets, then call an election hoping to lose it and let someone else sort out the mess. How long will the new PM have to be in office to get their pension and lifetime allowance? That'll tell you when the next election will be called.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Just re-electing the Tories again and again because you believe dogs can be trained not to poo poo on the floor by rubbing their noses in it

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Lady Demelza posted:

The alternative view is that the Tories will hold out for as long as they can lining their own pockets, then call an election hoping to lose it and let someone else sort out the mess.

It's this, of course. It always is.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Diet Crack posted:

As of Jan 1st it must have the UKCA marking and the CE mark is not accepted as it is currently - as I understand it the manufacturer is responsible for the markings and compliance unless you have a third party go and inspect the process and certify it. I don't think it's legal to just whack a UKCA sticker on it. Importing through customs will probably want to see the actual certifying documentation - though who loving knows how that's going to work or if it will even work given the amount of nonsense Brexit has caused.

The reason the deadline has been pushed out again is because no-one knows what the gently caress to do. I was part of a government round table thing where we were encouraged to give feedback on the process and it was just a shitshow.

My understanding is you can still dual mark and if an item has a CE mark, and it has been CE tested by a testing house that can also endorse CA marks that at the moment they can issue both certificates. I don't know if they still need a UK & EU presence but at the moment I know all my stuff will be coming through with a CA mark on it until 2025 stress free.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Maugrim posted:

Just re-electing the Tories again and again because you believe dogs can be trained not to poo poo on the floor by rubbing their noses in it

Its not even rubbing their noses in it. Its telling someone that doesn't know the person who has the dog that they were seen making GBS threads on the floor and expecting that to have an effect on the dog's behaviour.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's more like adopting the same dog from the shelter every time it bites one of your fingers off because it's wearing a different hat.

Though if they did give shelter dogs hats I would find it very difficult not to adopt them all.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

there is no such thing as society to Thatcherites like Liz Truss, hth

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Answers Me posted:

Well the commentariat belief they do, which alone is a sign the policy must be made - when the Times and Telegraph are bleating about the problem it's a bigger sign of change.

There's also the fact that a huge amount of the crisis is self-inflicted - not even in the "it's all privatisations fault" sense but that the entire electricity price being set by the cost of the pricest gas power station is clearly a market failure, and not even a market failure that benefits them.

That doesn't mean it will be swift - I'm not expecting anything till November, then they'll "merely" keep bills at the 2 grand level or 70% more than they were which is bad enough for the poor. But it'll forestall total economic collapse.

Also, on Exeter. IIRC about one in three of it's students went to a private school, which even by Russel group standards is skewed. But it's not notably worse than any other institutionally, it's just a even posher student body than the rest - and they know it when they go there

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 4, 2022

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

anyway, idk if this has been posted yet, but to state the incredibly obvious, the Tories are imperialists who hate democracy https://twitter.com/SundayTimesSco/status/1566112128418955271

the Cunningham Amendment is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
it's more like a statue of a dog poo poo made entirely out of dog poo poo imo

crispix fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 4, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Wonderfully hypocritical of the people behind brexit who demanded we leave the EU with a mandate of 36% of the population to just declare that the Scots need to clear 50%. Not bent at all.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Venomous posted:

anyway, idk if this has been posted yet, but to state the incredibly obvious, the Tories are imperialists who hate democracy https://twitter.com/SundayTimesSco/status/1566112128418955271

the Cunningham Amendment is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)

If the SNP weren't cowardly dipshit libs they would acknowledge that UDI is the only option

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

crispix posted:

a statue of a dog poo poo made entirely out of dog poo poo

Dwarf Fortress UK DLC

(or RimWorld UK if you prefer)

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Answers Me posted:

Tories will privately admit to being astonished whenever they turn the ratchet at how much poo poo people will put up with. The internal memos go round saying "if we cut this, privatise that, destroy the other, there will be riots". And then when there's crickets instead, pfft.

Could never be a politician: swap me out for Thatcher, and say I did 1% of the damage. You wouldn't need to drag me into the street and beat me to death, as I would deserve, because I would have already flung myself off a cliff in shame.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Answers Me posted:

To be fair there's a very recent precedent with Covid where the Tories were forced to govern. It would be incredibly stupid and destructive for the tories not to do something but that's hardly a reason against them doing it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Only Kindness posted:

Could never be a politician: swap me out for Thatcher, and say I did 1% of the damage. You wouldn't need to drag me into the street and beat me to death, as I would deserve, because I would have already flung myself off a cliff in shame.
That's part of the game though. Any normal human being with normal emotions would be dead from rage or humiliation within a week of attempting a political career. It's a very special kind of sociopath that survives in politics.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

If the SNP weren't cowardly dipshit libs they would acknowledge that UDI is the only option

Any such UDI would require the use of violence to enforce. Otherwise it would end up a empty gesture like Catatonia's. And I don't see scots violently putting up a border at Hadrians wall anytime soon, reguardless of what the SNP does.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Christian4BuryS/status/1566135528063385612?s=19

Labour doing what Labour was designed for, jobbers for the tories.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Any such UDI would require the use of violence

are you familiar with the scottish people at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

crispix posted:

are you familiar with the scottish people at all

Contrary to popular belief, being English in Scotland is not a death sentence, and I doubt many here want that to change.