Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Clarste posted:

Anne's costumes somehow make her look even younger.

I think it's because the art for them makes her look like she's three feet tall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Fruits of the sea posted:

It kinda baffles me that Troubleshooter is as fun it is. If someone were to pitch X-Com but anime with collectable abilities, multiple crafting systems, relationship meters and half a dozen other complex mechanics, I would say that it was a terrible, terrible idea and to throw it in the trash. Somehow it manages to be more than the sum of its parts

Despite some definite jank here and there and a whole lot of cruft, I think the sincerity of the devs and how much of a labor of love the game is really shines through. You can just feel it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not really very similar to xcom at all. the tutorial with cops using guns and overwatch is not representative of the rest of the game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Kanos posted:

I think it's because the art for them makes her look like she's three feet tall.

You're right, she actually just a gnome.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

The 3rd Irene one just needs a big rear end hat and a parrot and it’ll be perfect

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Oh neat, I was wondering when the next bit of content might be. I'll be happy to toss these guys some cash

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So I started playing this and it definitely has that coveted XCOM "one more mission" feel. I do wish they'd hurry up and let me add Irene or whomever to the team. I thought we were going to ask her next time, Albus. That's what you said.

Anyway, game fun.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Dawgstar posted:

So I started playing this and it definitely has that coveted XCOM "one more mission" feel. I do wish they'd hurry up and let me add Irene or whomever to the team. I thought we were going to ask her next time, Albus. That's what you said.

Anyway, game fun.

Glad you're enjoying it! I also remember it taking a bit to get Irene, but I don't think you'll have to wait too much longer?

Also, we need a Sickos meme, but Troubleshooter related. Who would fit best?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Dawgstar posted:

Anyway, game fun.

The game definitely does tease you and make you wait quite a long time for people to finally give in and join permanently, but it's always worth the wait.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

IIRC, the main issue is that during early access they kept adding new missions before the characters were ready to be playable.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

My general advice is to focus 100% on doing the plot missions (gently caress, can't remember if it was the red or violet ones) until you have a full team, they sometimes have minor plot details, but nothing critical. You can set challenge mode to up enemy levels to your party's current when doing them later on.

PunkBoy posted:

Giselle winking.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PunkBoy posted:

Glad you're enjoying it! I also remember it taking a bit to get Irene, but I don't think you'll have to wait too much longer?

Yeah, as always complaining on the internet worked. The very next mission I could play Hero Irene joined for real.

ZearothK posted:

My general advice is to focus 100% on doing the plot missions (gently caress, can't remember if it was the red or violet ones) until you have a full team, they sometimes have minor plot details, but nothing critical. You can set challenge mode to up enemy levels to your party's current when doing them later on.

On the advice super early in the thread I've been doing the plot missions on Safe to get everybody and when I have them I'll start playing for realsies.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

PunkBoy posted:

Irene but instead of sickos it's heroes

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Anyone have an Irene Martial Artist build? Right now I'm level 45 with her and I just got Giselle a few missions ago.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

skaianDestiny posted:

Anyone have an Irene Martial Artist build? Right now I'm level 45 with her and I just got Giselle a few missions ago.

Hot drat, you're way higher level than I was at that point in the game. I remember when Giselle joined she was like two levels above the rest of my group, lol

To answer your question, I always had a hard time with Martial Artist on Irene and the other character that shares that class, since Battlemage is so goddamned strong. I know there are some counter-attack based builds that are very powerful though. I would recommend checking out the Discord, but I think a lot of those builds would be inaccessible to you due to many high end MA masteries being dropped by enemies in the DLC.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I feel like I default to this a bit too much, but the best Martial Artist build I've seen is the one LifeofAshuram showed on his channel here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5qXe-M440o

You'll need to have unlocked the masteries that give additional slots though, which can be a pain to get if you haven't done it yet.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

In my experience, Martial Artist Irene works fine against melee and it is actually hilarious to have her counterattacking all the time, but she's extremely easily locked down by ranged enemies (who can often surround her and spam delay attacks). And later game enemies (clowns) can actually pierce her defenses sometimes anyway, so it's rather annoying.

Edit: Not to mention uncounterable enemies.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 21, 2022

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

ZearothK posted:

Hot drat, you're way higher level than I was at that point in the game. I remember when Giselle joined she was like two levels above the rest of my group, lol

Lol I was going to say, I thought I was like ~30 around that point.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I need to check my build again to be sure, but I think for MA Irene I didn't focus on counters because it would just tank her position in the turn order. I found it more useful to give her more turns to run in and wreck people.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ma irene can go full fire. fire mastery sets are really good and you can get access to most of them relatively early.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

I need to check my build again to be sure, but I think for MA Irene I didn't focus on counters because it would just tank her position in the turn order. I found it more useful to give her more turns to run in and wreck people.

Yeah, counterattack builds are really fun but the game basically anticipates that you'll be using them and has enemies specifically built to punish them by delaying your turn indefinitely.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

And then they released Berserker Alisa who dies that gameplan infinitely better with Wildcat Engine.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
On a different note, anyone got Giselle builds? I just finished leveling Sniper so now I'm leveling Hunter. What and where should I grab some pets?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the most basic easy to get and build pet is a regular ice tima. make it a tank, use something to speed it up, maybe put on some ice sets, and then call it a day. for more advanced stuff, check youtube.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Look up how to get dragons for some fun pets.

The Draki King absolutely carried me on the last story mission, due to the aoe reaction attack every time someone targeted Gisele, every time someone activated a trap or every time Giselle attacked someone.

well that and Leton and his ice grenades

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

skaianDestiny posted:

On a different note, anyone got Giselle builds? I just finished leveling Sniper so now I'm leveling Hunter. What and where should I grab some pets?

Yeah, like gimme the GOD drat CANDY said, the Ice Tima is a nice workhorse pet that you can get as soon as you have Giselle. Timas in general are pretty good and I have a fondness for Foo's pets in particular.

The Frogs are also very powerful, specially if you go all in on elemental masteries, I like the Earth and Lightning frogs the best. If you have access to that Violent mission where you do Frog Genocide (35V) the legendaries there are worth recruiting, as is the Golden Frog from 47V, which is one of the strongest creatures in the game. Note that you need a special mastery dropped from the mercenary tamer to tame Legendary Beasts.

Unfortunately the birds and spiders are more situational, but they can be used for Chicken and Spider magic. Spellcaster Giselle operates by giving pets the mastery that lets them overcharge as a free action and throwing them like fire and forget missiles at your problems.

If you've finished the main plot and are about to enter the DLC it is time to recruit Drakis, they are all very strong, but King Draki is probably the easiest one to build. If you're at the DLC, it is time for Crabs.

Sniper Giselle can generally be built in two ways: either as an One-Shot One Kill machine by getting as much extra damage and recovery and SP masteries as possible or as a fire support turret, where she will finish off everyone your team attacks.

Hunter-Trap Giselle is very fun in the late game, as you can craft an item set that lets her deploy one trap as a free action every turn. Traps will ignore damage reductions, which is very powerful against some particularly tough late game enemies. Traps also have huge areas and very strong debuffs, like Confusion, so they are awesome crowd control options.

Straightforward Hunter Giselle is another good option, essentially give her abilities that strengthen your pets and give her attacks when her pets attack and gives her pets attacks when she attacks.

Also if you have any Earth pet you can completely break the game by giving Giselle infinite turns. Earth has Prosperity, which gives -10 AT at full health, that plus Best Condition (-10 A), Pathfinder (-8 for both Giselle and the Beast when they finish turns within sight of each other) and the Monster Trainer set (-10 AT for both Giselle and Beast when they end turns close to each other) means that if you have an Earth pet you can just have it standby by Giselle and she can refresh her turns immediately. It is kind of a boring way to play, but it is funny to do and can be used to get through a particularly difficult mission if you get tired of it.

As always, you can check the guide for mastery set effects. Ashuram also has some ready made boards for the post-game in his class spotlight videos, but he also goes into detail about what each class brings to the table and their particular masteries, which can be useful for building your own boards before you get to that point. Building Giselle can get extra complex because you're bringing her and like 20 pets to the table at any one time.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Thanks y'all!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Nephthys posted:

I feel like I default to this a bit too much, but the best Martial Artist build I've seen is the one LifeofAshuram showed on his channel here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5qXe-M440o

You'll need to have unlocked the masteries that give additional slots though, which can be a pain to get if you haven't done it yet.

Yeah this is probably the best I can think of although if you don't want to go fire, With Full Heart and Full Strength + everything that gives -AP and +Block will get you pretty far. I ended up respeccing Irene to fire later but it took a while before I had the masteries to do something close to Ashuram's build.

It also depends on how you play her. I usually send her on solo kamikaze missions. She tends to run into issues if there's too many machines/high block opponents but her block is so good that even if she doesn't kill half the map, she'll be holding their aggro long enough for the team to take care of most everything else.

E: Chang drops bleed immune wrist guards and they are basically BIS on Irene for half the game

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 24, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Looks like they released a pre-DLC patch which totally revamps all the Water masteries (presumably in preparation for a new water character) and also tweaks some other stuff. Notably, Albus gets a few more Great Swordsman masteries and accompanying mastery sets. I, er, I equipped them but I dunno if they're good or not.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
So I completed the game twice now: first on hard difficulty, then a new campaign on cruel difficulty but with the masteries already unlocked. Can't wait for the DLC.

Some thoughts on builds:
- Albus: mid game magic knight is better, but end game great swordsman is insane (thanks to blade phantom). Wind masteries aren't very good for him.
- Sion: seems to be all about one-shot-one-kill. I think battle mage is better, but only after you unlock sufficient masteries which can take a long time. By far the best machine killer.
- Irene: mid game martial artist is really good, but end game martial artist falls off hard. Battle mage is always really good, and moving castle mastery set seems mandatory late game.
- Anne: I'm honestly still not sure what her optimal build is, I haven't experimented that much.
- Heixing: ranger is way way stronger, completely destroys anything that bleeds. Sweeper I couldn't make work as well even with much more masteries unlocked.
- Ray: I thought grenadier was quite strong and very easy, but alchemist going full spirit is completely ridiculous (+ catharsis + one shot one kill): never misses, ignores block, dodges everything, and just deals tons of damage if you give her a +ESP weapon.
- Giselle: I enjoyed trap hunter so much in my first game that I went the same build (but even less focused on her rifle) the second campaign. The beast training is huge fun.
- Beast: first game I went ice tima which obviously was really strong: completely invulnerable and one shots whoever attacks it. Second campaign I went earth dorori and I think the dorori actually outdamages the tima most maps. The dorori is slightly less tanky, but has such insane speed and mobility that the overall damage is higher. Also much, much better with "pincer attack with beast" and has the the "Hunter Above the Sky+Gigantic Wings" combo. I also tried earth draki knight at some point, but silence messes it up too much.
- Kylie: hacker can be pretty decent, but overall I don't like her that much, probably because I never bothered with the drones.
- Leton: superstar dodger seems a lot stronger than martial artist blocker.
- Bianca: witch illusionist/glass cannon is completely unfair, she can solo the "bianca+alisa need to escape" mission on cruel difficulty with catharsis+one shot one kill+blood wind set.
- Alisa: Barbarian is extremely strong against ranged opponents (draki in particular), but she's vulnerable against the clowns. Not entirely sure what her best build is, now trying a spirit sp white knight.

To clarify, my favourites: witch Bianca, alchemist Ray, hunter Giselle, ranger Heixing, great swordsman Albus

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Walh Hara posted:

So I completed the game twice now: first on hard difficulty, then a new campaign on cruel difficulty but with the masteries already unlocked. Can't wait for the DLC.

Some thoughts on builds:
- Albus: mid game magic knight is better, but end game great swordsman is insane (thanks to blade phantom). Wind masteries aren't very good for him.
- Sion: seems to be all about one-shot-one-kill. I think battle mage is better, but only after you unlock sufficient masteries which can take a long time. By far the best machine killer.
- Irene: mid game martial artist is really good, but end game martial artist falls off hard. Battle mage is always really good, and moving castle mastery set seems mandatory late game.
- Anne: I'm honestly still not sure what her optimal build is, I haven't experimented that much.
- Heixing: ranger is way way stronger, completely destroys anything that bleeds. Sweeper I couldn't make work as well even with much more masteries unlocked.
- Ray: I thought grenadier was quite strong and very easy, but alchemist going full spirit is completely ridiculous (+ catharsis + one shot one kill): never misses, ignores block, dodges everything, and just deals tons of damage if you give her a +ESP weapon.
- Giselle: I enjoyed trap hunter so much in my first game that I went the same build (but even less focused on her rifle) the second campaign. The beast training is huge fun.
- Beast: first game I went ice tima which obviously was really strong: completely invulnerable and one shots whoever attacks it. Second campaign I went earth dorori and I think the dorori actually outdamages the tima most maps. The dorori is slightly less tanky, but has such insane speed and mobility that the overall damage is higher. Also much, much better with "pincer attack with beast" and has the the "Hunter Above the Sky+Gigantic Wings" combo. I also tried earth draki knight at some point, but silence messes it up too much.
- Kylie: hacker can be pretty decent, but overall I don't like her that much, probably because I never bothered with the drones.
- Leton: superstar dodger seems a lot stronger than martial artist blocker.
- Bianca: witch illusionist/glass cannon is completely unfair, she can solo the "bianca+alisa need to escape" mission on cruel difficulty with catharsis+one shot one kill+blood wind set.
- Alisa: Barbarian is extremely strong against ranged opponents (draki in particular), but she's vulnerable against the clowns. Not entirely sure what her best build is, now trying a spirit sp white knight.

To clarify, my favourites: witch Bianca, alchemist Ray, hunter Giselle, ranger Heixing, great swordsman Albus

Could you post that Earth Dorori build? I never managed to really make one of those fellows work. I'd also like to give a look at what you're doing with Ray, I never got her to roll that well in the post game, just as an instrument to quickly get materials from Draki Nest or speed train pets in the first ordinary case.

If you want suggestions on Anne and Alisa:

-Witch Anne does a bit less damage than Bianca and requires +hit rate equipment , but is otherwise super strong while retaining her support and control abilities. Personally I use her with Hellgate and sometimes send her as a psychic bomb into the middle of mobs so she will instantly die and mind control all of them. When I did the Sniper Training mission with post-game builds she was by far the most dangerous character to deal with. Soul Reaper also means she's constantly generating buffs to allies too, which is handy, specially since stuff like Immortal is on the list. (KSAACBBYD2ASQFI2D2ZEE6XBAEKACBTKAWBAGBAFBAYSNASDASCSNB3RASBAKB2IJ2ESEA2FBNJB8IBFE2)

-Barbarian Berserker Alisa is often my MVP, I can throw her in most situations and she will autokill everything there and when something finally drops her she pops back alive again. She's only really in danger when she's just above 33% and gets hit by something extremely strong, which is pretty rare. It is not the best team player build, however, as she truly shines when Rampage is active and I haven't really figured out how to fit the Support mastery that prevents her from hitting friends, so she's often on a solo flank. (KSAACC3YB2AS6EIUCNPUIQKJMPSYFFIBVWA36APFAE3AGA2EA27SQAICANCAKBSHJ2DSEA2FCSRCKJS)

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Thanks a lot for these, will need to try them out.

Main thing to point out is that all of Ray's attack have great base damage and green old age really boosts these. Second heart is whatever, not really sure what to put here.

This results in +30 speed from masteries, another +30 from permanent acceleration, quite a lot of -AT reduction from the mastery sets, and killing anything with a fall attack gives an extra turn.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i love grenadier ray despite the gap in offense power with alchemist. she's so ridiculously speedy and mobile. there are enough characters that are only good for 1s1k killing sprees that a fast scout is a useful niche. sure, that's not very useful by the time you end up grinding the same maps but that's where i lose my interest in the game.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
A friend of mine is going through the story, which story missions had different mastery rewards based on dialogues/options chosen?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the records screen will call those out, but i do think there is one they miss that i can't remember off the top of my head.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

IIRC it's Scent of the Past, the training thing at the academy and a rescue mission in the wilderness that involves Kylie.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are two excellent steam guides that everyone relies on. one has all the mastery sets, the other how to acquire each mastery.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Walh Hara posted:

Thanks a lot for these, will need to try them out.

Main thing to point out is that all of Ray's attack have great base damage and green old age really boosts these. Second heart is whatever, not really sure what to put here.

This results in +30 speed from masteries, another +30 from permanent acceleration, quite a lot of -AT reduction from the mastery sets, and killing anything with a fall attack gives an extra turn.

DLC hype got me to fire up another run through the final Violent Case, and I gave this alchemist Ray build a spin. Worked well, although I didn’t get to use her as much as would have liked, most of the human enemies got sliced and diced by Albus. Will have to try her on another, less robot-y map.

Can someone summarize what we know about the actual Abandoned Children secret government program? I figure that the government set off the big explosion that killed Albus’s parents, and Albus’ ‘aunt’ was monitoring and supporting him, Leton, and presumably other orphans, but to what end? Studying ESP? What else do we know?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

skaianDestiny posted:

A friend of mine is going through the story, which story missions had different mastery rewards based on dialogues/options chosen?

A lot of them have chevos attached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Smiling Knight posted:

DLC hype got me to fire up another run through the final Violent Case, and I gave this alchemist Ray build a spin. Worked well, although I didn’t get to use her as much as would have liked, most of the human enemies got sliced and diced by Albus. Will have to try her on another, less robot-y map.

Can someone summarize what we know about the actual Abandoned Children secret government program? I figure that the government set off the big explosion that killed Albus’s parents, and Albus’ ‘aunt’ was monitoring and supporting him, Leton, and presumably other orphans, but to what end? Studying ESP? What else do we know?

I think Abandoned Children itself was the plot to create/infiltrate the Spoonist movement, get it to gather a lot of the radicalised people in Valhalla and then get them to gently caress off while doing a crack down on the crime syndicates that are not aligned with the government to secure the election. But it's been a while.

DLC with Misty Jäeger is out today as well as half the costume DLCs. Maintenance will be starting shortly for it.