Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

I talked about the sailing in AC Odyssey the other day, but I keep going back to how perfectly they nailed the look and feel of the open ocean:

https://i.imgur.com/YzYvSZR.mp4

I like just sailing around doing nothing but watching the ocean because it looks so drat good

I don't know if its the same thing but Sea of Thieves does this for me. Sometimes ill just end up sailing around just enjoying the waves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I guess I just like game oceans in general. I was just in another thread talking about how the padding in Wind Waker doesn't bother me because I'm already chilling out sailing all over the ocean of my own accord anyway.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It is kinda odd that no game (to my knowledge at least) has gone all in on waves before. I can't think of any sailing game where you can launch your boat from wave to wave and pick up speed like it's Titanfall or Mirrors Edge or even just getting in a tube like you're surfing.

Just make a boat-shaped Tony Hawk game.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

It is kinda odd that no game (to my knowledge at least) has gone all in on waves before. I can't think of any sailing game where you can launch your boat from wave to wave and pick up speed like it's Titanfall or Mirrors Edge or even just getting in a tube like you're surfing.

Just make a boat-shaped Tony Hawk game.

Not a boat, but...

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The Pro Wakeboarding game kicked rear end

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nostradingus posted:

Not a boat, but...

I think there were like 3-5 different types of jetski/waterboat racing games on the first 2000's Xbox and maybe you could do tricks off ramps in one of those.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Similarly, I'm a little surprised that Jet Moto never really got more games. Using a magnetic grappling hook to do super tight 180s around a hairpin was unique as hell. But if you got the timing wrong and held on too long, it would glue you to the target temporarily. And in 1 level, if you did it wrong, you launched yourself off the track and off into space.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Nostradingus posted:

Not a boat, but...

I would love love love a next-gen surf game that cranks the gnarly on the waves up to 10

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

I would love love love a next-gen surf game that cranks the gnarly on the waves up to 10

Surfing the Disaster: Day of Crisis tsunami

edit: Oh that video was set to not embed other places

https://i.imgur.com/qTyEoch.mp4

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

CzarChasm posted:

Similarly, I'm a little surprised that Jet Moto never really got more games. Using a magnetic grappling hook to do super tight 180s around a hairpin was unique as hell. But if you got the timing wrong and held on too long, it would glue you to the target temporarily. And in 1 level, if you did it wrong, you launched yourself off the track and off into space.

I would mark out so loving hard if Sony announced a Jet Moto revival.

Bring back that and Cool Boarders too, while you're at it.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

RareAcumen posted:

That, plus

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Gimme an Aquaman game (a good one please) where you fast travel to different parts of the oceanic city by rising above the water and skating on your self propelled trident like the silver surfer.

Edit: Like the forever-gliding in Arkham Knight once the cloudburst hits, where you get above the fog and it's just this big undulating wave over everything that's below building rooftop level.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 01:28 on Sep 3, 2022

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
gently caress the ocean

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Buddy, they won't even let me gently caress the ocean.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

RareAcumen posted:

God what a great little niche title. Combine Disaster Report with a lightgun game, just loving inspired.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

CJacobs posted:

Gimme an Aquaman game (a good one please) where you fast travel to different parts of the oceanic city by rising above the water and skating on your self propelled trident like the silver surfer.

Edit: Like the forever-gliding in Arkham Knight once the cloudburst hits, where you get above the fog and it's just this big undulating wave over everything that's below building rooftop level.

Jack Kirby era Silver Surfer carving on solar rays with the Power Cosmic could be such a good game

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kitfox88 posted:

God what a great little niche title. Combine Disaster Report with a lightgun game, just loving inspired.

It's waaaay better than it has any right to be, even if still a bit jank, and I'm glad I hunted down a copy of it a few years back. :allears:. It's well worth a play if you have the means to do so.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kitfox88 posted:

It got a bit hosed over in development but at least it got recognition in Smash. The subgenre of Japanese games that are basically just American action movies are always pretty gold for camp value. I'm pretty sure that's also basically 70% of Incredible Crisis.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
I used to go to an arcade in Taipei on the 7th floor of a shopping mall that still had Time Crisis 2, 3 & 4 cabinets. They put a lot of effort into keeping them running, but 2 eventually crapped out around 2017/2018, and 3 would be out of commission for weeks at a time last time I was there.

They had claw machines with boxes of anime figurines and my friend got one her first try. So all of that is one of my little favorite things.

e: Are there established light gun emulators or aftermarket light guns for playing at home?

Cool Kids Club Soda has a new favorite as of 06:24 on Sep 3, 2022

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

e: Are there established light gun emulators or aftermarket light guns for playing at home?

It's a common genre of VR game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Forza Horizon 5 shows you the liveries/vinyls of the real players who created the AI opponents you face, and there are some impeccable choices I've spotted

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's waaaay better than it has any right to be, even if still a bit jank, and I'm glad I hunted down a copy of it a few years back. :allears:. It's well worth a play if you have the means to do so.

Also it has an optional bonus level where you fight a meteor Never been able to do much damage to it, but it's dope.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Kirby and the Forgotten Land has a few things that help with finishing your collecting. In main stages if you miss any side objectives, it will reveal one of the ones you missed once you finish the stage. In the post game levels, where you have ~50 things to collect per level, your helper will chime in when you collect all the collectables in a given section of the stage, and if you have to come back through they will let you know which sections of the stage still have collectibles vs. not having any left.

Also, the ending sequence where you basically do a DBZ fight against the final boss, but you're using a transport truck is so silly and over the top it wraps right back around to being amazing.

E: poo poo, forgot, the sound test/music player is an ingame band. They start on a lovely stage made of pretty much 2x4s, but if you throw enough coins in their guitar case it gets upgraded to a nicer stained and finished stage. After beating the post game boss you can donate to them again, and it upgrades the stage into something you would expect from a smaller concert. It also increases the number of songs they can play, but that isn't as important as giving them a nicer stage.

Ashsaber has a new favorite as of 16:04 on Sep 3, 2022

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

CJacobs posted:

Forza Horizon 5 shows you the liveries/vinyls of the real players who created the AI opponents you face, and there are some impeccable choices I've spotted

:kimchi:

I used to go to an arcade in Taipei on the 7th floor of a shopping mall that still had Time Crisis 2, 3 & 4 cabinets. They put a lot of effort into keeping them running, but 2 eventually crapped out around 2017/2018, and 3 would be out of commission for weeks at a time last time I was there.

They had claw machines with boxes of anime figurines and my friend got one her first try. So all of that is one of my little favorite things.

From what I remember making older light gun games work on modern flat screen LCDs is actually a huge pain in the rear end due to the mechanism the lightguns actually used to detect stuff, but I do know people are working on it. Might get pricey if you're trying to go further back than a Wii timewise though. :iiam:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I've come to the conclusion that the Mad Max game is a top tier game and I hope Avalanche is asked to make another for the new movie

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Minis with menacing auras

Minicing auras

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

It's a really little thing but I've just noticed that Rapture's funeral home rips you off the same way as real life funeral services do: The cremation service is listed separately from the urn so 'you' can 'pick a personalized urn', but in reality you're being charged for a new thing you now require in place of a coffin and the cremation service's price covers the remaining cost.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 06:56 on Sep 4, 2022

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Yeah, if you're a high-powered business whatever, you're not gonna rock up with a Folgers can and tell them "put my friend into this" like you're Walter Sobchak.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Philippe posted:

Yeah, if you're a high-powered business whatever, you're not gonna rock up with a Folgers can and tell them "put my friend into this" like you're Walter Sobchak.

Frank Fontaine would absolutely do this to even his most trusted capo so now I'm halfway sad that Coffee Can or like Eve Hypo aren't listed as an options

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

CJacobs posted:

It's a really little thing but I've just noticed that Rapture's funeral home rips you off the same way as real life funeral services do: The cremation service is listed separately from the urn so 'you' can 'pick a personalized urn', but in reality you're being charged for a new thing you now require in place of a coffin and the cremation service's price covers the remaining cost.

They must, of course, transmit the remains to you in a receptacle.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Since I can't find a thread for it, have my thoughts and speculation on AI: The Somnium Files - Nirvana Initiative
I'm currently just entering Mizuki's second route, for those worried about spoilers.

OK, so, in the first game although there were branching routes that could have radically different outcomes, when you've solved the case you can see how your different actions caused them. Why did Iris die if Date believed her about aliens and tried to run away with her? Because he never gave back her headphones, which were actually medical devices keeping her brain cancer in check. The most significant part of the first branching point wasn't how traumatised Mizuki was, or where the investigation focuses on first, but that it changes the timing of a phonecall which causes the killer to be injured in a car accident.

The point is that even when your actions cause the dominos to tip in different directions, they're set up in the same way each time.

I don't think that is the case in Nirvana Initiative. The game has been talking a lot about 'Simulation Theory' and while it wouldn't be out of character for it to be a red herring, I think it's true. But only in some of the routes.

The 6 years ago/Present timelines seemed separated, but they're becoming blurred. Andes Komeji died in one of Ryuki's routes but not the other. He died 6 years ago, but the other half of his body showed up and people are acting like he was walking around a few days ago.

Ryuki's mental state is fluctuating between 'madman in a trance' and 'just kinda stressed' and nobody finds it odd. He'd been experiencing lost time and should have been hospitalised 6 years ago, it's very odd they keep letting him be a detective... unless sometimes he isn't, and is just a guy who shows up places.

People are reacting strangely to Mizuki too. Kizuna calls her 'big sis' because she reminds her of her actual big (step) sister so we know there's an older woman she's similar to. We've just seen Date again after he was supposed to be missing-presumed-dead in an explosion, and the first thing he says to Mizuki is 'You're so similar...'

The masked woman has talked about having one eye and a heart condition. We know Mizuki has one eye, and in her (currently) locked first route she's just started having heart problems.

My theory is 'rescued from an organ farm'. We've heard that Jin Furue had problems with tumors in half his body. We've learned that Tearer was raised in an underground lab, insanely jealous of Jin and that everything of Jin's should be his. They even took 'half of him' and he had an obsession with obtaining his 'missing half', and that at least half Tearer's face is identical to Jin.

So there are two of Jin. The original, and his spare-organ-farm Tearer. We know that Mizuki and Masked Woman were both test-tube babies subjected to genetic manipulation. Mizuki was adopted by the Okiuras, Masked Woman eventually escaped from Chikara's lab.

I think there's a shell game going on with peoples' identities, and Mizuki's route isn't always 6 years in the future. Sometimes it is, but that's when the world is a simulation. When it isn't, she's not the real Mizuki. A clone, or a twin, or something similar, and the woman in the mask is the 'real' Mizuki.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Huh. This is basically Beyond the Aquila Rift from love death and robots. LD&R pretty much ripped it off wholesale.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Frank Frank posted:

Huh. This is basically Beyond the Aquila Rift from love death and robots. LD&R pretty much ripped it off wholesale.

Beyond the Aquila Rift was based on a short story by SF author Alastair Reynolds, who also wrote Zima Blue. It's possible Reynolds could have been ripping off the Outer Limits, I don't know if he's had to say anything about it, but I don't think that type of "ha ha, it was all an hallucination, bugs are eating your face" twist ending is exactly uncommon in genre fiction.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Zima Blue was also amazing so i'm willing to cut him some slack

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

HenryEx posted:

Zima Blue was also amazing so i'm willing to cut him some slack

Hey don’t get me wrong, Aquila rift was amazing as was zima blue

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Weren't the aliens in Aquila Rift doing the hallucinations to comfort people and not eating them?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Heheehe, I've been playing Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep Final Mix and I'd totally forgotten about Pete's Rec Room[spoiler] in Disney Town - a [spoiler]giant pachinko machine that you platform around for unique slots. That's a fun room.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Tagichatn posted:

Weren't the aliens in Aquila Rift doing the hallucinations to comfort people and not eating them?

Yes.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Allegedly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Elfface posted:

Since I can't find a thread for it, have my thoughts and speculation on AI: The Somnium Files - Nirvana Initiative
I'm currently just entering Mizuki's second route, for those worried about spoilers.

You should post after you've finished or nearly finished the game, to follow up on these thoughts.