Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well, in the real world, things like evolution and the roundness of the earth are well-verified facts but still widely disputed and disbelieved, so I'd find it plausible to have a substantial minority in a D&D setting who believed things contrary to established facts of the setting too. Especially if we also assume more widespread illiteracy, less universal availability of information, etc.

Still. In most D&D settings it seems like clerical magic is commonplace enough that any adult could be expected to have witnessed it, including faith healing and even resurrection (although again, there are plenty of people in the real world who believe they've witnessed faith healing, ghosts, and other supernatural things...).

But I think there's lots of room to do something really different and interesting, and it's kinda sad that the settings I've read for D&D (which is admittedly not all of them) mostly stick to a generic fantasy dumbed-down version of real-world polytheism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, I honestly feel like D&D-world attitudes towards a lot of spiritual topics should be much different from (and weirder than) real-world ones, given how many metaphysical issues are just verified physical law. I think I've been thinking about "how do I roleplay a cleric in FR when her god is an actual guy whose existence and general desires are completely known? What form does religion even take in this world?" since I was about 15.
Now factor in that with enough time and effort and murdered goblins she can reliably reach a stage where she could probably beat up her god in a fist fight.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Planescape torment and the way it handled death was pretty cool since it showed the various philosophies, fears, and values that grew out of things like fearing death, accepting death, worshipping death, avoiding death, or just ignoring death outright even after it has claimed you

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Splicer posted:

Now factor in that with enough time and effort and murdered goblins she can reliably reach a stage where she could probably beat up her god in a fist fight.

which is a pretty awesome hero epic for a religion, tbf.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Ratoslov posted:

Splicer posted:

which is a pretty awesome hero epic for a religion, tbf.
Jacob almost had it, but didn't grind quite hard enough before he made his play.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
I was thinking of making a character based off of Judas in JCS and was wondering, what would the appropriate alignment be for this skeptical and cynical lost soul?
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URWa0rbB1Kw
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK5emqWUwkU
Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM-gnLRLPdw

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

trapstar posted:

I was thinking of making a character based off of Judas in JCS and was wondering, what would the appropriate alignment be for this skeptical and cynical lost soul?

The easiest route would probably be the kind of Chaotic Neutral that used to be Chaotic Good and got disillusioned and worn down. He's too sympathetic to be evil, and too anti-authoritarian to be more lawful than that.

Also, obligatory link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iGTYqRio00

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Alignment's a dumb way to map human behavior and allegiance but if you're stuck with it that portrayal strikes me as a Lawful Neutral character trapped between two contradictory sets of principles he's compelled to obey and trying unsuccessfully to resolve the contradiction.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

And again we see why alignment is ultimately only good as a way to map what you personally consider a character's vibes and how you want to represent them on your sheet. Because now you have two opposite suggestions, depending on whether the person making the suggestion prioritized the character's personal faith in the local power structures or their personal moral code as more important in determining their place on the law/chaos axis.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Lurks With Wolves posted:

The easiest route would probably be the kind of Chaotic Neutral that used to be Chaotic Good and got disillusioned and worn down. He's too sympathetic to be evil, and too anti-authoritarian to be more lawful than that.

Also, obligatory link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iGTYqRio00

drat! That's a way more insightful answer than I was expecting. :keke:

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Alignment's a dumb way to map human behavior and allegiance but if you're stuck with it that portrayal strikes me as a Lawful Neutral character trapped between two contradictory sets of principles he's compelled to obey and trying unsuccessfully to resolve the contradiction.

You mean his Lawful obligation to preventing Jesus causing unrest? Which is why he goes to the Pharisees in the first place.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

I personally would have assumed True Neutral. Since he seems to play at the whims of others around him.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

trapstar posted:

I personally would have assumed True Neutral. Since he seems to play at the whims of others around him.

Honestly, you could probably justify anything Neutral on good/evil. And people have, in this exact conversation, so just do what works for you (and the class you want to play, if this is an edition with alignment restrictions).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

trapstar posted:

You mean his Lawful obligation to preventing Jesus causing unrest? Which is why he goes to the Pharisees in the first place.

Yeah his dilemma is basically does he prioritize a higher moral / divine order or the laws of society. Everything he does is out of deference to authority and his fatal error is falling back on selfishness as a way to choose between the two at a crossroads. Judas doesn't want to be free, if anything he's loving terrified of self-determination, he wants someone to tell him what to do and to be sure it's the right answer.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Alignment should be like how it works in Fate/ where you are what you believe yourself to be

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

The alignment system can be pretty one-dimensional IMO. Lots of people are more complicated than what it's equipped to handle.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

trapstar posted:

The alignment system can be pretty one-dimensional IMO. Lots of people are more complicated than what it's equipped to handle.

Yeah whatever hippie, just tell me what color dust I need to sprinkle on my Circle of Protection to keep you out of my club house.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Alignments as portrayed really only function well when it's less about actual morality in a cosmic sense and more contextually based on the person assigning the alignment.

Really the Good-Evil axis should be read more as "I personally like them and we get along" vs "We want to kill each other" with no wider benevolent or malevolent implications.

Law-Chaos is really more how predictable or not a person is TO YOU based on how compatible your worldviews are.

It still kinda works on a larger Cosmic sense if you just view it as humanity's cumulative assessments of how big of jerks Fiends are to literally every mortal that encounters them.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Good-Evil is pretty easy to define and apply consistently, as it broadly refers to whether you'll go out of your way to aid others, go along to get along, or harm others for your own gain.

Law-Chaos is totally incoherent, which is good insofar as alignment restrictions with mechanical weight exist but bad insofar as people want to have conversations rather than sing songs in which words have tonality but not meaning.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

PerniciousKnid posted:

Yeah whatever hippie, just tell me what color dust I need to sprinkle on my Circle of Protection to keep you out of my club house.

i do kind of like the idea of a setting where alignment works but also doesn't make any sense and people know it doesn't make sense and there's regular philosophical discussions about "ok so why does person x doing action y cause them to change alignment, but person z doing action y doesn't"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Alignment is best understood as factions of immortal, inhuman pieces of poo poo who don't care about you but that you can ally with for strategic reasons.

The Good deities are the ones who conquered the Good Energy Plane and slaughtered everyone who said they're not Good

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Alignment is best understood as factions of immortal, inhuman pieces of poo poo who don't care about you but that you can ally with for strategic reasons.

The Good deities are the ones who conquered the Good Energy Plane and slaughtered everyone who said they're not Good

this just furthers my interpretation!

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
I like the idea of the alignments being those extraplanar factions, but *mostly* / typically adhering to expectations secondary to the faction conflict, with most mortal creatures not being affiliated with any of them, aside from clerics etc, powerful individuals, and unusual cases.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
It’s also important to remember that a person’s behavior is not going to correspond to their alignment 100% of the time, and that alignments can shift. We all compromise our principles or act against our nature at one point or another. Is Judas’s betrayal of Jesus to maintain social order Lawful? Yeah, definitely. What alignment is Judas, fundamentally, at the core of his being? I’d say that’s up for interpretation at the table.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kestral posted:

It’s also important to remember that a person’s behavior is not going to correspond to their alignment 100% of the time, and that alignments can shift. We all compromise our principles or act against our nature at one point or another. Is Judas’s betrayal of Jesus to maintain social order Lawful? Yeah, definitely. What alignment is Judas, fundamentally, at the core of his being? I’d say that’s up for interpretation at the table.
Even the hoary old original books say "a chaotic evil fighter, who happens to just be here to get a beer at the tavern, is not radiating a source glow of chaotic evil.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Something frequently missing from alignment systems is how serious/explicit characters are about their beliefs.

Let's take Neutral Evil: this is classic selfishness, basically.

There's a big difference between:

"I think I'm fairly normal but ultimately I don't give a poo poo about most other people except insofar as they relate to my wants and needs."

and

"Everyone for themselves."

and

"The weak are here as my food, tools, and playthings."

They all have the same basic outlook, but the differing degrees are important in practice.
The first one could get through life in a normal society with nothing more than maybe a diagnosis of narcissism or something.
The second is probably going to end up causing serious trouble eventually.
The third is going to do so almost immediately.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.

Ferrinus posted:

Good-Evil is pretty easy to define and apply consistently, as it broadly refers to whether you'll go out of your way to aid others, go along to get along, or harm others for your own gain.

Law-Chaos is totally incoherent, which is good insofar as alignment restrictions with mechanical weight exist but bad insofar as people want to have conversations rather than sing songs in which words have tonality but not meaning.

I'd argue that Law-Chaos is coherent, but only in the context of the old Moorcock one-axis stuff. Of course, it was in service of 'lawful civilization is the only bastion of goodness against the chaotic hordes of the Other' but it was coherent.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Doctor Zaius posted:

I'd argue that Law-Chaos is coherent, but only in the context of the old Moorcock one-axis stuff. Of course, it was in service of 'lawful civilization is the only bastion of goodness against the chaotic hordes of the Other' but it was coherent.

Yeah, when it's the only thing, it's basically "Good" and "Bad" and just a simple shorthand(just like other abstractions like Armor Class) for a game that had the design sensibilities of a boardgame. Trying to describe morality with a two-axis graph is always going to be insufficient.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Panzeh posted:

Trying to describe morality with a two-axis graph is always going to be insufficient.

the question is: how many axes do we need for a useful morality system? my instinct says if i need to pick from any less than 7 or 8 options at chargen, then it's likely to be insufficiently modeled

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Doctor Zaius posted:

But even in this, there’s an inherent understanding that absolute Law would be just as ruinous as absolute Chaos. There’s no real downside to good, just as there’s no real upside to evil.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Use the model outlined in the philosophical treatise "Team America: World Police".

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Atopian posted:

Something frequently missing from alignment systems is how serious/explicit characters are about their beliefs.
2 axis alignment of narc vs enabler & dogmatic vs suggestible

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 4, 2022

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

It's "GM says they're okay to murder - GM says not okay to murder" axis and "will call the cops - ACAB" axis

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Let's just stop beating around the bush and replace alignment with zodiac signs

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Please the most DnD answer is to use Myers-Briggs.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tulip posted:

Please the most DnD answer is to use Myers-Briggs.

Jungian Archetypes.

Waaaaaaaaaay more baggage there.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

G/E and L/C matrix has 9 archetypes. So does the enneagram. Bing bong so simple

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Doctor Zaius posted:

That's true, the original Law/Chaos is plenty consistent so long as we correctly understand "lawful" to have the same meaning as "white". Most of my criticism is for the horizontal axis of the classic 3x3, where there's supposedly a difference between being Lawfully and Chaotically Good or whatever.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ferrinus posted:

That's true, the original Law/Chaos is plenty consistent so long as we correctly understand "lawful" to have the same meaning as "white". Most of my criticism is for the horizontal axis of the classic 3x3, where there's supposedly a difference between being Lawfully and Chaotically Good or whatever.

Yeah I think this is largely correct and if anything feeds into me and Tuxedo Catfish treating the alignments as fundamentally alien to any actual, meaningful ethics. I don't know that I'd want to play such a game, I'm not sure I've got players that would be in a place for it, but I could imagine writing a pretty decent book that treats that more explicitly, that the Elemental Plane of Law is ruled by frankly racist pieces of poo poo and the existence of Lawful Good Angels at all is kind of a problem.

What I'm saying is that I draw ever closer to a Payday 2 RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
As always the best take on the 2-axis alignment system is from Freebase:

LG [Liberal Granola]:
Knows that mass social protest is the only way to defeat THE MAN.

LN [Liberal Noncommittal]:
Buys bumper-stickers against THE MAN on occasion, and would like to rise up against his oppressors and end this cruel reign of tyranny, but prefers Dead shows.

LE [Liberal Establishment]:
Sells bumper-sticks against THE MAN and T-shirts for Dead shows; pretending to be part of the movement for social change, yet profiteering off his fellow brothers and sisters, finally becoming part of the System that has forced our children to go to die in 'Nam.

NG [Noncommittal Granola]:
Bought a couple of shirts, thinking this helps, but only practices Iron Butterfly riffs in the garage while the gears of government run by fascist weapon industries crush his remaining freedom.

TN [True Noncommittal]:
Is happy to live in whatever Orwellian hell is presented to him, unknowingly disposing of his own, and hence others, right of choice.

NE [Noncommittal Establishment]:
Buys into the propaganda machine of his mom's Rosie the Riveter days, and does not question the Draft, though it will mean his end.

CG [Conservative Granola]:
Blindly puts faith in other's power to change the world he is increasingly shackled by.

CN [Conservative Noncommittal]:
Voted for Tricky Dick because he liked his speaking voice.

CE [Conservative Establishment]:
THE MAN.