Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
A friendly synth thread goon PM’ed me to check and it seems like Turntable Labs and Alto Music are showing the SP404 MK2 in stock.

I threw in an order at each so let’s see if either actually ship :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

2DCAT posted:

For those who haven't read his interview

One of us! One of us! :allears:

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

They're starting to be in stock at more places. Actual retail listings at retail price are showing up on Reverb now. The new AIRA compacts got a bunch of restocks at places recently too.

Speaking of which, I used the vocoder on the SP-404 mk2 for the first time last night. It was honestly better than I expected it to be. I think I'll still get the AIRA E-4 at some point since it has more parameters and features, but I no longer feel like I'm in a rush to get my hands on one.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah after posting I’m now seeing them at perfect circuit too. I’m still gonna leave both orders open in case one of them ships today.

Im stoked. I’ve been wanting a decent, portable sequencer for awhile.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

been working on creating bread and butter drum sounds in rytm, which i’ve never given much thought. but enjoying thinking about how sounds fit into a mix and genre in terms of transient/envelope/etc and realizing that most presets in synths and drum machines are overdesigned and take up too much mix space.

anyways here’s a clip of me discovering that rytm can do basslines, used 707 samples for drums instead of the analog machines:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ch96uLqARWh/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It makes sense, big sounds sell hardware. And fabfilter gotta sell those vst's to fix it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Welp, after staring at them online for like 10 months a 404mk2 has shipped towards my general direction.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I want to replace Chipz with some kind of decent voice module that makes some spectrum of noise. Plaits or a plaits clone is kind of the obvious choice, what else should I be looking at? Is the cheaper-but-4hp-too-big Behringer plaits clone as bad as Reddit says, or does Reddit just hate Behringer? It looks to me like a closed source implementation that has all of the stuff Plaits has plus 5 more voices that might be garbage, plus a mini oscilloscope that doesn't seem super useful. On the other hand, $150 vs $250

edit: 5 years into ownership, I just re-read the 0coast manual and realized there's a whole ARP mode I didn't know existed :laugh:

Pretty good fun to set up a chord or discordant progression, then run the maths "cycle module" slope output into the tempo in and just let it go nuts.

edit2: after some more reading and pondering, gonna save my money for, probably, an E352. Want something that's more ambient-oriented, that looks like a pretty great module that also has a cloud mode and a bunch of other interesting stuff.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 2, 2022

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

field balm posted:

These look really sick, thanks!

I was playing around today with something I can't believe I haven't done more of before and figured it'd be a decent follow up about the SH-101 filter and also just a little fun modular moment.

Putting a slew limiter inline between sequenced velocity or CC changes and filter cutoff adds LOTS of funk for your buck, just something I was messing around with: https://voca.ro/177eSHeaqKlc

That's the G-Storm SH-101 VCO going into the SH-101 VCF, with the cutoff modulated by velocity but going through a slew limiter, for the main part. For the higher pitched part it's 2 Synthesizers.com Oscillators into a Moog 12 DB SVF, with the Highpass Out going into an ARP 4072 LP VCF, and both of their cutoffs are being modulated with Velocity/Midi CC going through slew limiters.

Also if you turn off the slew mid sequence it offers a pretty neat contrast sometimes when the stepped values change abruptly instead of smoothly. Anyhow, just thought in case someone else hadn't though of doing this it might be nice.

Also - I would totally be down for another Goon collab. Please someone make it happen!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I will happily contribute boring things and unlistenable things to a collab

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I will happily contribute boring things and unlistenable things to a collab

rude of you to cover my songs without permission

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

toadee posted:

I was playing around today with something I can't believe I haven't done more of before and figured it'd be a decent follow up about the SH-101 filter and also just a little fun modular moment.

Putting a slew limiter inline between sequenced velocity or CC changes and filter cutoff adds LOTS of funk for your buck, just something I was messing around with: https://voca.ro/177eSHeaqKlc

That's the G-Storm SH-101 VCO going into the SH-101 VCF, with the cutoff modulated by velocity but going through a slew limiter, for the main part. For the higher pitched part it's 2 Synthesizers.com Oscillators into a Moog 12 DB SVF, with the Highpass Out going into an ARP 4072 LP VCF, and both of their cutoffs are being modulated with Velocity/Midi CC going through slew limiters.

Also if you turn off the slew mid sequence it offers a pretty neat contrast sometimes when the stepped values change abruptly instead of smoothly. Anyhow, just thought in case someone else hadn't though of doing this it might be nice.

Also - I would totally be down for another Goon collab. Please someone make it happen!

Oh poo poo its THAT sound. I’ve been chasing that rubbery bass for ages and you just dropped the solution right in my lap.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Trig Discipline posted:

rude of you to cover my songs without permission

Gonna just pipe the entire Trump of doom through a messed up signal chain in vcv rack and call it my own.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

God help me, I just bought an E352 Cloud Terrarium, and also sold my last MTG deck for $4000, with a plan of getting a Rackbrute ($279 through a deal through my employer) and slamming about $1800 worth of poo poo into it instantly. I don't really need more voice modules at this point but Morphagene is great, and VCV rack has me trying out various effects.

I'd really like a hardware reverb module oriented towards ambient. Valhalla Supermassive is an awesome program and if I could get that in a module I would instantly buy it. Any suggestions?

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
Strymon starlab perhaps?

Tbh I don't know much about modules but their reverb pedals are some of the best.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

the E520 is the high end option I have found and it looks insanely powerful and probably a good compliment to e352 but also lol it's $800

A Z-DSP with the Valhalla card is around $450 and that might be a good option.

FX-Aid is even less expensive but does less and people bitch about the UX for switching algs.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

toadee posted:

This absolutely slaps, what a great sound! Can't wait to play around with this, really appreciate you sharing it. I'm still working to wrap my brain around some of the various whys when patching modular in order to make more intentional sound, and this sort of advice is extraordinarily helpful :)

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer

God help me, I just bought an E352 Cloud Terrarium, and also sold my last MTG deck for $4000, with a plan of getting a Rackbrute ($279 through a deal through my employer) and slamming about $1800 worth of poo poo into it instantly. I don't really need more voice modules at this point but Morphagene is great, and VCV rack has me trying out various effects.

I'd really like a hardware reverb module oriented towards ambient. Valhalla Supermassive is an awesome program and if I could get that in a module I would instantly buy it. Any suggestions?

Starlab is definitely top tier, but be sure to also check out Noise Engineering’s Desmodus Versio at a third of the size and half the price. Highly rated and includes free access to flashing any other Versio DSP which is potentially a huge value if you’d use it.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Get a beebo and you'll have that and much much more

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
Welp after years of being sure that modular isn't for me, I just bought a 104hp case.
I already have a Beringer neutron and model d so I don't want to build another mono synth.
I'm looking for a simple drum sequencer and the MI grids looks amazing. It seems quick and performance oriented. I found a uGrids clone builder on Reverb that seems legit.

Are there other drum sequencers like grids that I should look into? I'm very new to eurorack so I'm sure there are a ton of options I don't know about. Has anyone used the malekko Varigate?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Stabbing Spork posted:

Welp after years of being sure that modular isn't for me, I just bought a 104hp case.
I already have a Beringer neutron and model d so I don't want to build another mono synth.
I'm looking for a simple drum sequencer and the MI grids looks amazing. It seems quick and performance oriented. I found a uGrids clone builder on Reverb that seems legit.

Are there other drum sequencers like grids that I should look into? I'm very new to eurorack so I'm sure there are a ton of options I don't know about. Has anyone used the malekko Varigate?

I highly recommend Pamela's New Workout. It does all kinds of stuff - clock source, clock multiplier/divider, euclidean sequencer, logic stuff, LFOs and envelopes. It pairs great with other sequencers, too. I can use PNW to run a Muxlicer w/ Mex and an Ornament & Crime at the same time.

My favorite thing about it, and I've only had it for a few weeks now, is it's really easy/intuitive to use. It didn't take me long to get the hang of it, versus my Ornament & Crime, which I practically need the online manual open every time I use it.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Stabbing Spork posted:

varigate is more like what you want grids to be

grids is 3 tracks of set-interval triggers w/ a couple of modes of crossfading. that these modes map to some ur-precussion score basically doesn't matter in practice, they're not the rhythms you want if you ever think about rhythm programming. the performance is scrolling through preset rhythms, casio-keyboard style. its like a cr-78 w/o the charming percussion synths

cf a geiger counter (the meter, not the module) hooked up to a piezo input: varied rhythms based on the half life of the radioactive element generating the clicks, performance element vis-a-vis changing the position of the element relative to the meter and reacting to the new pattern, looks cool, 0hp

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Using grids in vcv, I like to take one of the channels and use it to gate one of the melodic voices. Tweak the density knob in the top half of the range for fun arpeggio like action.
Grabbing a couple more Euclidean sequencers, and drive them with a second clock that runs at the same speed, but with a different swing. So then it's 4 channels for percussion, and one for bleeps. All roughly in related time

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I happened to pick up an SH-01a at the same time I accidentally slipped into modular and finally gave it a go today and I have to say it's really great. The hands on nature of it makes it quick to get going and it has a pretty good range. I was skeptical initially but I dig it now.

e:
I also came across this Mathew Johnson video on him using the SH-101 and it's so good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC_g_hDGTcM

net work error fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 5, 2022

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I highly recommend Pamela's New Workout. It does all kinds of stuff - clock source, clock multiplier/divider, euclidean sequencer, logic stuff, LFOs and envelopes. It pairs great with other sequencers, too. I can use PNW to run a Muxlicer w/ Mex and an Ornament & Crime at the same time.

My favorite thing about it, and I've only had it for a few weeks now, is it's really easy/intuitive to use. It didn't take me long to get the hang of it, versus my Ornament & Crime, which I practically need the online manual open every time I use it.

Wow Pamela's New Workout does look crazy powerful, but it seems menu divey. But it does so much I want it anyways. A cheap modular case is quickly turning into an expensive mistake :(

JamesKPolk posted:

varigate is more like what you want grids to be

grids is 3 tracks of set-interval triggers w/ a couple of modes of crossfading. that these modes map to some ur-precussion score basically doesn't matter in practice, they're not the rhythms you want if you ever think about rhythm programming. the performance is scrolling through preset rhythms, casio-keyboard style. its like a cr-78 w/o the charming percussion synths

You are totally right, after watching a bunch of videos the Varigate 4+ is what I want. The voltage block also looks cool and I can add that later if I love the sequencing style.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

Stabbing Spork posted:

Wow Pamela's New Workout does look crazy powerful, but it seems menu divey. But it does so much I want it anyways. A cheap modular case is quickly turning into an expensive mistake :(

You are totally right, after watching a bunch of videos the Varigate 4+ is what I want. The voltage block also looks cool and I can add that later if I love the sequencing style.

It's definitely a con about Pam's, the one encoder, but I will say from experience that the interface is very well designed and it's really not taxing to dial in or anything. Definitely one of the best value propositions as far as modules go.

I'm hovering over buying a Mordax. Someone hold me back.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Strymon starlab perhaps?

Tbh I don't know much about modules but their reverb pedals are some of the best.

You could also cheat and get an FX Aid or an FX Aid XL and put multiple Strymon reverb presets onto it, along with a bunch of other ones.

Also I'm fond of my TipTop Verb, it has several settings that are really nice for ambient.

It's not technically a reverb, but I've heard nothing but good things about Mimeophon being used as both delay and reverb.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Pam's is almost a must but I don't enjoy using it very much. It doesn't really have a 'modular' nature to it (ie you cant really patch it in intersting ways, but i havent dug into the cv-able features), it feels a lot like someone integrating daw features into modular. I use it mainly for structural stuff, like really long synced lfos and switching/resetting stuff every 8/16/32 bars or whatever. Obviously as a master clock too, but I found the euclidean stuff and the logic so fiddly to set up in the menus that I pretty much never use them.

E: while I'm posting, does anyone have an 8hp clouds clone? Is it too small? I'm imagining it as a set and forget module but I'll just get a full size one if it's too fiddly.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
How does everyone feel like the disting mk4? It seems like it does even more than the Pam's new workout, but it's even more menu divey and needs you to memorize the manual.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Expert sleepers is the definition of menu-divey, but the juice appears to be worth the squeeze for most people.

I veered in the Monome direction - was kidding the other day that ES is kinda Monome without all the pretentious bullshit.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Stabbing Spork posted:

How does everyone feel like the disting mk4? It seems like it does even more than the Pam's new workout, but it's even more menu divey and needs you to memorize the manual.

I've gotten a lot of use out of it, but honestly the tiny scrolling screen is loving agonizing to use. Unless you want to use any of its sample or wavetable functions, you're better off getting an o_C and putting Hemispheres on it, and then you have *two* utility functions available at once.

/edit: Frankly, if I had a Radio Music for looping sample functionality, I'd exchange both my Distings for another o_C and do exactly this so I can have one running the default firmware and one running Hemispheres.

/double edit: If money's not an issue, you can always spring for the Disting EX too, which is basically two mk4s with a much better screen and additional functionality.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 5, 2022

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

edgar_ posted:

Starlab is definitely top tier, but be sure to also check out Noise Engineering’s Desmodus Versio at a third of the size and half the price. Highly rated and includes free access to flashing any other Versio DSP which is potentially a huge value if you’d use it.

:stare: this line of inquiry on a discord led to a bunch of videos and different things and uh I ended up ordering a Hyperion :staredog: because there was one demo unit in stock at perfectcircuit and while I realize it's unlikely to see new firmware it seems like it does everything I want and a lot more

I also ordered a cloud terrarium yesterday, and a rackbrute today. I don't have a problem.

I'm also nowhere near done :laugh: I have a general sense of what that might look like for the moment and I am at least $1500 away. I can't do anything until I have more space though and the next thing I want for sure is a morphagene, which isn't in stock anywhere besides reverb so I may as well "wait for a deal" :allears:

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 6, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

B33rChiller posted:

Gonna just pipe the entire Trump of doom through a messed up signal chain in vcv rack and call it my own.

Nothing wrong with that

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

petit choux posted:

Nothing wrong with that
It doesn't feel right to not credit the person who wrote the words, or the person whose voice is used.
The wrong g part would be claiming it all for myself.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh man I got my SP404mk2 and it’s SO FUN, even now with just the stock drums and samples.

This is perfectly building on how I started in this thread, chaining patterns on my first pocket operator. I absolutely cannot wait to dive into some beers with this thing.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

It doesn't feel right to not credit the person who wrote the words, or the person whose voice is used.
The wrong g part would be claiming it all for myself.

(May they rest in peace) Epileper / Sea of Losers was always so emphatic about giving credit to as much stuff as possible, and listened to so much stuff that I was clueless about, his mixtape tracklists in some cases look like complete gibberish to me, strings of letters and numbers :laugh:

roy harder
Jul 14, 2005

The things I've seen...
I now have a few synths and want to hook them all up and try to make some bad 90's music. To do this I need a mixer and have been looking at the Midas DM16:
https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Midas-DM16-Analog-Mixer/27QE
The number of channels to fit my needs and it has inserts on all of them, which I also want. Anyone have any experience with this mixer in a synth setup or otherwise?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Inserts on a hw mixer come in handy but not as often as you'd think, especially for synths, or for not-miced/amped stuff (like do you need the mixer pre to get the sound to line level? basically direct in guitars and miced stuff). beyond that, its failure points

@ that price (or half), can you not get an equivalent 16 channel mackie? (CR1604, e.g.). people literally used them in the 90s and the "sound" as much as it has one is probably what you're thinking of

Probably nothing wrong w/ the Midas but it used to be a decent mid range brand and now it's a Behringer/Music Tribe trade dress. perfectly serviceable but I think you could get something about the same for 1/3rd of the price

roy harder
Jul 14, 2005

The things I've seen...

JamesKPolk posted:

Inserts on a hw mixer come in handy but not as often as you'd think, especially for synths, or for not-miced/amped stuff (like do you need the mixer pre to get the sound to line level? basically direct in guitars and miced stuff). beyond that, its failure points

@ that price (or half), can you not get an equivalent 16 channel mackie? (CR1604, e.g.). people literally used them in the 90s and the "sound" as much as it has one is probably what you're thinking of

Probably nothing wrong w/ the Midas but it used to be a decent mid range brand and now it's a Behringer/Music Tribe trade dress. perfectly serviceable but I think you could get something about the same for 1/3rd of the price

I've been struggling finding something similar within the same price range and I don't want to buy second hand. My options other than the one mentioned seems to be different Behringer mixers, but as you say the Midas is also a kind of Behringer now.

I thought inserts would be a good way to use different pedal effects and having them on every channel seemed flexible, but it may also be that I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm not that concerned about the mixer having a real 90's sound, so to speak, it's usually just how it ends up for me when making music anyway. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

1. buy cheap used thing from goodwill
2. buy expensive new thing when you actually need it

i just bought a behringer eurorack 1204-pro for $50 shipped from goodwill. it also comes with some eurorack-lookin box and, like, vga cables or some poo poo? all i know is there's MYSTERY HARDWARE coming along with the mixer. i dont even know how much ill use the thing but i wanna try it, and for $50 it'll be fun to play around