Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Geemer posted:

What is this extension called?

Not them but I use Better Twitter which is great and open source. I would go through all the preferences though cause I dislike some of the defaults

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I use "Tweak New Twitter".

Fat Dan
Jul 10, 2022

HELLO
Minimal Theme For Twitter

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Has there been some change to Cookie law in the UK recently? I've noticed more and more websites letting me reject all but essential cookies and the rejection seems to persist across sites. Ironically probably because of cookies?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

EU passed down a decree declaring the lovely frameworks with a lot of poo poo enabled by default and no option to reject illegal. So the frameworks begrudgingly updated their stuff to skirt the law a bit more along the legal side of things.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
It would have been so much simpler to mandate that "reject all" must be as convenient as "accept all".

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

On that note, infinite laughter that "legitimate interest" means that if their whole business case is tracking you even if you don't want it, you have to object to that too, separately. And some frameworks don't let you.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

What's the name of that extension that provides fake tracking data so that websites still work but just get randomised telemetry?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Something like ad nauseum, I think.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Geemer posted:

Something like ad nauseum, I think.

Ah cheers. Is using uBlock Origin to be avoided when using this?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What's the name of that extension that provides fake tracking data so that websites still work but just get randomised telemetry?

Not an extension, that's Brave that does randomized fingerprinting. So you'd have to switch browsers.

However I don't know that a random fingerprint is really better than just blocked fingerprinting. Firefox already blocks third-party fingerprinting with default settings. EFF Privacy Badger does more.

TBQH I think the best solution is to use adblock with aggressive script blocking on, because blocking tracking scripts from running in the first place is better than trying to spoof a fingerprint.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Klyith posted:

Not an extension, that's Brave that does randomized fingerprinting. So you'd have to switch browsers.

However I don't know that a random fingerprint is really better than just blocked fingerprinting. Firefox already blocks third-party fingerprinting with default settings. EFF Privacy Badger does more.

TBQH I think the best solution is to use adblock with aggressive script blocking on, because blocking tracking scripts from running in the first place is better than trying to spoof a fingerprint.

Roger roger, uBlock Origin for the win then?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Roger roger, uBlock Origin for the win then?

Sure, maybe, I guess? I call it "best" in terms of convenience and how many secondary benefits you get: after tuning my ublock & cookie auto-delete for a while, I avoid a lot of other bullshit like paywalls & log-in popups.

It's not provably anti-tracking, because any site that I allow 1st party scripts could still fingerprint me and sell that data. So there's also an element of how much tinfoil you want to use for your headgear and if you are trying to block all *possible* data collection.

My personal level of care over browser tracking is pretty limited: I don't use a VPN service, they can easily track me by IP regardless of what extensions I put on my browser.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I was just staring at Reddit while on my morning Teams meeting for work and suddenly the fonts all changed and everything looks loving ugly now. I didn't even refresh the page or anything, it just changed in real time. At first I thought I might've accidentally Ctrl+Scroll, but that's not the case. I thought it was an issue with the Reddit Enhancement Suite browser extension and went to the sub for it and 2 other people are reporting the issue.

But now I just pulled up Wikipedia to go read about something and noticed Wikipedia is messed up too! Anyone else having issues today?

Normal browser window on the left is all scrunched up, private window on the right looks normal/correct. Chalking it up to RES being weird was one thing, but now this is gonna drive me insane...

edit; Apparently it's a problem with the Facebook Container plugin.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 8, 2022

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Did the most recent update set anyone else's default search to bing?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Did the most recent update set anyone else's default search to bing?

Not I.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Are there any ways to get themes that both don't look like a kid's geocities site from 1999 and aren't just a boring solid color?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Are there any ways to get themes that both don't look like a kid's geocities site from 1999 and aren't just a boring solid color?

The only thing that official themes can do is change colors on the tab & tool bar, or add a background picture. If you want to change the shape or size of various elements, you have to get into userchrome.css modifications.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Which add on to block the row of YouTube Shorts from being shown to me? And also every “Shorts” video as well?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've been afraid to just use uBlock to zap the elements on the youtube homepage because one time I blocked something and then I could no longer see the Comments section on any videos lol. But in theory you should be able to do it that way.

I don't know of any addons to remove Shorts, but for what it's worth when you have youtube.com/shorts/VIDEOID you can just replace the /shorts/ with /v/ and it'll give you the full-fledged youtube video player with an actual volume slider and everything. God I hate this Instagram/TikTok bullshit of just binary mute/unmute buttons and 30 second clips.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Sab669 posted:

I've been afraid to just use uBlock to zap the elements on the youtube homepage because one time I blocked something and then I could no longer see the Comments section on any videos lol. But in theory you should be able to do it that way.
Sounds like an improvement, tho.

Sab669 posted:

I don't know of any addons to remove Shorts, but for what it's worth when you have youtube.com/shorts/VIDEOID you can just replace the /shorts/ with /v/ and it'll give you the full-fledged youtube video player with an actual volume slider and everything. God I hate this Instagram/TikTok bullshit of just binary mute/unmute buttons and 30 second clips.

This is very good to know.

As for an actual answer-like option, adding this filter might work ##.ytd-rich-section-renderer.style-scope > .ytd-rich-shelf-renderer.style-scope:contains(Shorts)
Though I have no idea how it'll react if a video title includes the word "Shorts". It might just wipe out that entire 'shelf' of videos. Though, theoretically a refresh should fix it as long as the video containing Shorts in the title isn't there.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Geemer posted:

Sounds like an improvement, tho.

Mostly yes, but on some of my more niche hobbies there will occasionally be useful stuff in the comments. I'll often engage with artists on the mini painting channels I like, or when the IFSC posts a 3 hour video from a competition then you can usually find a comment with timestamp links to when each athlete actually comes out.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I'm quite extreme in my Youtube hatred and follow people I like using RSS, and then use the Unhook extension to hide everything that's not the video (so no comments, recommendations, etc)

Semi-related, you know when you're on a site and you move the cursor towards the tab bar to navigate away, and the site detects that and pops up a thing saying "wait don't go!" ? Anyone know of a way to disable that behaviour? I tried googling but the results were all about how to add that to your site :rolleyes:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Bobstar posted:

Semi-related, you know when you're on a site and you move the cursor towards the tab bar to navigate away, and the site detects that and pops up a thing saying "wait don't go!" ? Anyone know of a way to disable that behaviour? I tried googling but the results were all about how to add that to your site :rolleyes:

I've never seen that in my life

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Bobstar posted:

I'm quite extreme in my Youtube hatred and follow people I like using RSS, and then use the Unhook extension to hide everything that's not the video (so no comments, recommendations, etc)

That'd be done with JavaScript tracking the cursor position. So at best you could deduce what 3rd party is doing that and block that third party from loading at all. Of course that would break all functionality of that third party, and if it's 1st party, the the entire page wouldn't work.

You could maybe do something with Stylus to override CSS on whatever the JS is doing, but that'd be on a site by site basis.

If you give me an example, I could try something for that specific site.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

101 posted:

I've never seen that in my life

And if I did I would make a sincere effort to never see that site again.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

astral posted:

And if I did I would make a sincere effort to never see that site again.

Yea who needs a plugin to avoid those kinds of warnings when you should just never be giving them your traffic :staredog:

Reddit will give a warning if you've started typing a comment and try to navigate off, which is fine. But I've never had a "please don't go!" kind of alert for... just whatever reason

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Bobstar posted:

Super interested to know what site does this? It's like some late 90s bullshit that's got ActiveX running.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Huh I thought it was a fairly common thing. Happens on shopping sites sometimes. Of all my hatred for advertising and invasiveness, it ranks pretty low, I was just interested in how it's done and if it's easy preventable.

Saw it today on Uniqlo's site and this random link someone sent me

https://www.onecompress.com/products/oneglove

An even weirder one I saw recently was a door handle shop which changed the page title to "We miss you!" when you went to a different tab...

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Bobstar posted:

Huh I thought it was a fairly common thing. Happens on shopping sites sometimes. Of all my hatred for advertising and invasiveness, it ranks pretty low, I was just interested in how it's done and if it's easy preventable.

Saw it today on Uniqlo's site and this random link someone sent me

https://www.onecompress.com/products/oneglove

An even weirder one I saw recently was a door handle shop which changed the page title to "We miss you!" when you went to a different tab...

Use a browser that blocks tracking methods and it won't do this. In the gecko rendering engine (Firefox) vein there's:

1: "Hardened Firefox": Basically a standard Firefox that you run https://github.com/arkenfox/user.js/ over each time it updates to lock down the ability of Mozilla and websites to track and fingerprint you.

2: Librewolf: Which is more or less a fork of firefox with the above hardening already pre-done so you don't have to keep applying it with updates. It can get (slightly) behind the mainline firefox in updates, though that's unlikely to be an issue for practical purposes.

Klyith posted:

The idea to avoid fingerprinting is to make you blend into the pack. Just blocking all attempts at gathering info on your system actually makes you incredibly easy to spot because very few people do this. Both Brave and hardened Firefox spoof a lot of fingerprinting data to make you blend in with the pack.

Edit: Think of it like this. Who would you notice less? Someone looking INCREDIBLY obviously like they are trying to sneak around in a crowd with a big cloak over them, mask on and hunched over to hide their hight? Or someone who looks perfectly average with some additional stage makup on and some hair dye to change their hair from blond to brown?

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 15, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Nitrousoxide posted:

The idea to avoid fingerprinting is to make you blend into the pack. Just blocking all attempts at gathering info on your system actually makes you incredibly easy to spot because very few people do this. Both Brave and hardened Firefox spoof a lot of fingerprinting data to make you blend in with the pack.

Edit: Think of it like this. Who would you notice less? Someone looking INCREDIBLY obviously like they are trying to sneak around in a crowd with a big cloak over them, mask on and hunched over to hide their hight? Or someone who looks perfectly average with some additional stage makup on and some hair dye to change their hair from blond to brown?

This is a bad analogy. Nobody's looking at individual data like a cartoon detective with a magnifying glass. It's all just going into huge databases to be churned for ad targeting etc. Blocking a fingerprinting script doesn't look like someone obviously trying to hide: the scripts fail to run and report back nothing.

Blocking just doesn't work if a data collector has alternate methods, like integration directly with the 1st party site. Or if the site you're visiting is just selling data about all visitors directly. Trying to hide from facebook while browsing facebook is a challenge. If you are a privacy maximalist and trying to prevent 1st party data collection, you need all of:
• blocking or clearing cookies, local storage, and cache
• a VPN subscription for IP hiding
• fingerprint spoofing from specialty browsers (or firefox's built-in and super annoying privacy.resistFingerprinting mode)

Fingerprint spoofing alone is no better than blocking if you're not doing the other two. So the question is, how much of a privacy maximalist is someone trying to be?

Child Trebuchet
Sep 4, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Boris Galerkin posted:

Which add on to block the row of YouTube Shorts from being shown to me? And also every “Shorts” video as well?

I haven't use any of them (yet) but I did see quite a few greasemonkey scripts that say they do this.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

1: "Hardened Firefox": Basically a standard Firefox that you run https://github.com/arkenfox/user.js/ over each time it updates to lock down the ability of Mozilla and websites to track and fingerprint you.
I'm confused; is this doing anything more than modifying preferences? Because if not, you can accomplish the exact same thing without requiring a platform-specific script to be run.

Firefox supports setting specific preferences in firefox/distribution/policies.json - and as a bonus, it can also lock them so they cannot be changed.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Missed opportunity for a car analogy here. SAD!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

cookie autodelete is really good for this, been using it for years and you can whitelist the 2 sites you actually need cookies on, and everything else just gets nuked 5 seconds after you closed the last tab of that website

of course, then you also need an ublock filter to block all those insanely stupid cookie popups that prevent you from viewing sites without confirming cookies every time lmao

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Missed opportunity for a car analogy here. SAD!
:iiaca:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Truga posted:

cookie autodelete is really good for this, been using it for years and you can whitelist the 2 sites you actually need cookies on, and everything else just gets nuked 5 seconds after you closed the last tab of that website

of course, then you also need an ublock filter to block all those insanely stupid cookie popups that prevent you from viewing sites without confirming cookies every time lmao

Yeah I use this too, works like a dream. Of course, for privacy, fingerprinting is a much more insidious offender.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thirding Cookie Autodelete, and recommending use of Firefox containers on top of it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm confused; is this doing anything more than modifying preferences? Because if not, you can accomplish the exact same thing without requiring a platform-specific script to be run.

Firefox supports setting specific preferences in firefox/distribution/policies.json - and as a bonus, it can also lock them so they cannot be changed.

That's what it's doing, yes. But it's taking the decision of having to pour over thousands of flags to set by the user and choose the best practices to limit fingerprinting, tracking, and metrics gathering automatically.

Klyith posted:

This is a bad analogy. Nobody's looking at individual data like a cartoon detective with a magnifying glass. It's all just going into huge databases to be churned for ad targeting etc. Blocking a fingerprinting script doesn't look like someone obviously trying to hide: the scripts fail to run and report back nothing.

Blocking just doesn't work if a data collector has alternate methods, like integration directly with the 1st party site. Or if the site you're visiting is just selling data about all visitors directly. Trying to hide from facebook while browsing facebook is a challenge. If you are a privacy maximalist and trying to prevent 1st party data collection, you need all of:
• a VPN subscription for IP hiding
• fingerprint spoofing from specialty browsers (or firefox's built-in and super annoying privacy.resistFingerprinting mode)

Fingerprint spoofing alone is no better than blocking if you're not doing the other two. So the question is, how much of a privacy maximalist is someone trying to be?

Nothing about hardened firefox or brave will stop Facebook from tracking you while on Facebook of course. They don't even block first party trackers (which is what they would be while on facebook) because it would break like half of the web.

If you want to use facebook/youtube/reddit/etc without tracking you need to use a vpn and not log in or use a privacy frontend like Invidious which comingles the user requests from a bunch of users, without them being logged in, and without exposing your IP to the end site.

Of course up to you whether you trust a random invidious node to not be hoovering up your videos your watching and logging your IP itself.

There is a plugin that will auto-redirect you to the Invidious type sites when you try to visit the main site.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/libredirect/

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
cookie auto-delete is nice for privacy

but it's fantastic for reading sites with paywalls