Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Hadlock posted:

I dunno why developers accept such low salary in Europe, pays similar to being an electrician. At least the electrician isn't sitting at a desk all day

manual labor is only at all enjoyable when you don't have to do it.

oh boy i sure am glad to be pulling wire on an 80 degree day inside a half-built building with no AC! it sure would suck if i had to press buttons in a thousand dollar chair instead!

it's correct not to pay the computer-toucher more than the electrician, but touching computers is 100x easier, less dangerous, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Yeah, having gone from the SF bay to Sweden I took an enormous pay cut. Now that I’m past the point to relying on my employer for a Visa, the dream is to contract for a US/Canada employer. They’ll still tax a huge amount of my salary but the base pay could potentially be double and I can get stock options without it being a tax nightmare; I just have to find a place that doesn’t care that I’m 6-9 hours ahead.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

And now we have story points per sprint goals for each engineer. This will go well.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Maybe you'll be able to exchange them for snacks at the company store.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Big pizza party at the end of the month if everyone meets their sprint goals! And a personalized thank you card from the VP

:getin:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
"Hey man, quick question--"

"--gently caress off! I have story points to finish!"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

everyone in product passed around a thank you card and signed it. thanks for meeting the sprint points goal, guy

:unsmith:

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
A finger trap for the winner of this week's sprint

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Hadlock posted:

Big pizza party at the end of the month if everyone meets their sprint goals! And a personalized thank you card from the VP

:getin:

That'd be a perk for a lot of people. I remember when I quit a startup and someone asked me if I'd be ok without free snacks, kombucha on tap, etc. "I can buy a hell of a lot of kombucha for the raise I'm getting" and it was very much a "whaaaat?" situation. Some people lose their mind over free food.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

My wife is one of those types. She envies me for working in a startup-like place with a bunch of free snacks and coffees and poo poo, and would take a large pay cut if somebody offered the same thing to her.

"But it's free!?"

No, it's not, honey.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This Stable Diffusion thing is having a cambrian explosion right now. It's like DALL-E where you can make images from text (txt-img), but it also has an img-img feature, and only takes 7-30 seconds to generate an image, rather than minutes, and doesn't need "credits"

https://replicate.com/andreasjansson/stable-diffusion-animation

For example this animation was created from scratch using a single prompt fed into about 500 lines of python, as a thin veneer on top of stable diffusion

https://i.imgur.com/54y2hjF.mp4

If you click on one link, it should be this: https://andys.page/posts/how-to-draw/

More links: https://simonwillison.net/2022/Aug/29/stable-diffusion/

https://waxy.org/2022/08/exploring-12-million-of-the-images-used-to-train-stable-diffusions-image-generator/

And finally the github repo so you can run it locally: https://github.com/CompVis/stable-diffusion

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

raminasi posted:

I know the discussion has moved on somewhat, but for anyone else that can use this, System Design Interview - An insider's guide is the study guide analogue to DDIA (or alternatively, the system design version of CtCI).

this looks good. I wonder if it will be suspect if i get work to buy it for me :agesilaus:

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Surely there’s value in getting the lead title, though? I’m a little bored of my current job and I think I could get more pay elsewhere but I’m in line for a promotion from senior to lead and I haven’t found a company that would take me as a lead without the experience.

try paying rent with your title :smug:

titles mean poo poo all, follow da money IMO

awesomeolion fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 31, 2022

downout
Jul 6, 2009

awesomeolion posted:

try paying rent with your title :smug:

titles mean poo poo all, follow da money IMO

I think they have value if planning on going to a new company within like a year. The title implies being capable of the role regardless of pay and can help get into a job that includes the pay.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

downout posted:

I think they have value if planning on going to a new company within like a year. The title implies being capable of the role regardless of pay and can help get into a job that includes the pay.

Title means nothing and some places will try to down level you to keep your comp down.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

edit: In conclusion, titles are a land of contrasts.if you're chasing a title just have some objective value tied to it and a plan. I know PEs that can't hold a candle to SEs, and the title acts as golden handcuffs to those people.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 31, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh there's a whole stable diffusion thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4000251

Cheers

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

How do people think about reconciling a team that's too large with creating a distributed monolith? I'm dealing with some Conway's Law right now, and from an engineering perspective there's no reason to break something apart, but the PM says there's no way they could manage keeping them together, and that once a team gets close to 6-7 people they're too difficult to manage.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

luchadornado posted:

How do people think about reconciling a team that's too large with creating a distributed monolith? I'm dealing with some Conway's Law right now, and from an engineering perspective there's no reason to break something apart, but the PM says there's no way they could manage keeping them together, and that once a team gets close to 6-7 people they're too difficult to manage.

6-7 shouldn't be the breaking point. That's closer to 10-11.

To some degree you won't break Conway's law. Structure of output follow organizational structure because that's how communication is set up organizationally.

Easiest way to bake in the API you want is to have someone own what the end user API is. How that gets implemented shouldn't really matter, so long as it meets requirements.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

leper khan posted:

To some degree you won't break Conway's law. Structure of output follow organizational structure because that's how communication is set up organizationally.

That's kind of what the crux of this is about - output is faltering, because communication is faltering, because of the way things are misaligned at the moment. Instead of looking for how existing teams can re-arrange and solve problems in isolation, I'm trying to persuade leaders to align the teams to the problems better. There are two, or maybe more teams, that really should be very much aligned and they're all reporting to different people and pursuing different agendas.

I may end up suggesting that if it's too much of a cognitive burden to the manager or PM, have "co-PMs" or something similar, or even rotating leaders so that there's one manager over the teams in question. Leadership and product love when engineers suggest the org structure should be shaken up, but unfortunately it's to the point where it's impacting the quality of the system.

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

A guy on my team keeps pronouncing kubernetes like it rhymes with maternities.

Help.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Rebus posted:

Help.

I stand by "k8s", so much easier to type and say.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
so is it "k eights" or "k eight ess"?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
kuBRRRRRRRRRnateys

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Rebus posted:

Help.

My boss pronounces homogenous and heterogenous as HOMO-GENIUS and HETERO-GENIUS, and it's killing me.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I think the modern term is "sapiosexual" anyway

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

qsvui posted:

so is it "k eights" or "k eight ess"?

kates?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
cue-ber-neats

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
It needs to be said with a Boston accent. Ku-buh-natties

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

StumblyWumbly posted:

It needs to be said with a Boston accent. Ku-buh-natties

My vote is for "Kates" but this is a close second.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Xarn posted:

My boss pronounces homogenous and heterogenous as HOMO-GENIUS and HETERO-GENIUS, and it's killing me.

Your boss is in fact pronouncing the words "homogeneous" and "heterogeneous" correctly.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
I have a German coworker who pronounces it koo-burr-knee-tees

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Q-Bert-net-rear end.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Doom Mathematic posted:

Your boss is in fact pronouncing the words "homogeneous" and "heterogeneous" correctly.

My hot take is that people who pronounce homogeneous as "hoMOgenous" are prudes that are trying to skirt out of saying "homo".

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Rebus posted:

Help.

I would join your teammate and strengthen the bond.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
Q-bert Netease

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Xarn posted:

https://youtu.be/3EF5h6WJAq4

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Rebus posted:

Help.

I pronounce it like it's a Greek name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

Lily Catts posted:

I pronounce it like it's a Greek name

Matt is that you?