Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Vib Rib posted:

"Life's work" really has to be emphasized. Slick is a character Ishida has been drawing since he was literally a child, still attending school. Sinfest itself is 22 years old. It's not like he did a bunch of other short stories or comics, some good, some bad. He does not have a broad body of work, or varied creative endeavors. This is all he's ever done. And after decades, literal loving decades of not getting attention, not getting commercial success, not getting syndication, what does he have to show for it?
A bunch of impotent rage at minorities and an ever-shrinking soapbox to spew fascist rhetoric.

https://www.lambiek.net/artists/i/ishida_tatsuya.htm

To be fair, he did do some pencilling work for Dark Horse comics, and apparently a comic called StrangeLove with his then partner, Stacy. All I can find of the latter is two covers:

Is is on Ebay, in case anyone cares.

Apart from that, yeah, it is all Sinfest.

Some people on Reddit have hypothesized that Stacy breaking up with him is what caused his breakdown, but as far as I can tell, it is pure speculation. No one knows the first thing about his adult life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Is that the first good, interesting and funny Prick City? What is this world coming to??

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"Liz Truss, White Witch of Narnia – Behold the favourite for the Conservative leadership as she surveys her icy realm"

Sunday Telegraph:

Putin cuts off gas to Europe as energy war escalates

Matt:

Sunday Times:

Mail on Sunday:

‘Isn’t it exciting? The Conservatives have gone into labour, but we won’t know if it’s a boy or a girl till tomorrow.’

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

SimonChris posted:

Some people on Reddit have hypothesized that Stacy breaking up with him is what caused his breakdown, but as far as I can tell, it is pure speculation. No one knows the first thing about his adult life.

Unlikely; the yearbook cartoons already show someone with a mile-wide persecution complex.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

I seriously hate the Telegraph cartoons, and this one is a good example why.

A good political cartoon has something to say. It engages with a topic and the author tries to make a point about something. It might be witty, or just a scathing takedown. It might reference other topics to draw parallels. There may be metaphor involved.

The Telegraph cartoons never critically engage with anything. They are anti-intellectual cartoons. There is no wit, no analysis, not even a real point being made beyond "thing bad" in the most blunt way possible.

And in this case, the Telegraph uncritically copies Russia's propaganda. A cartoonist who wasn't an incurious hack would've made sure not to copy the Russian framing, but the Telegraph is a fundamentally incurious publication, and so it can't.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Dr. Stab posted:

Here's a realistic depiction of how patrons react to a straight man going into a lesbian bar, ca.1994.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSLMLHNY4QQ

e: oh God, look at all those gnc women in that lesbian bar. We need a terf in there stat to police their genders.

Never noticed how much the music in the bar sounds like the Mortal Kombat theme.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Kellies Nomination: Best Parody/Edit.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Discendo Vox posted:

Unlikely; the yearbook cartoons already show someone with a mile-wide persecution complex.

I think the scary, terrifying, and ultimately sad thing is that nothing "did this" to Tatty. This is just who he is, and who he's always been.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

quote:

SOUND FAMILIAR? BIDEN’S HATE SPEECH

Joe Biden made an alarming speech in Philadelphia, home of our Constitution and Declaration of Independence. The site was no doubt chosen to make an illegitimate president seem more legitimate. Against a sinister, blood-red backdrop and a hint of military force, he condemned roughly half the country. He said,

“Donald Trump and the MAGA Republicans represent an extremism that threatens the very foundations of our Republic.”

He then went on to reiterate that we were a threat to the country. Joe completely ignored real violence from Black Lives Matter and Antifa and instead chose to condemn the January 6 protest. He said,

“They look at the mob that stormed the United States Capitol on Jan. 6, brutally attacking law enforcement, not as insurrectionists who placed a dagger at the throat of our democracy, but they look at them as patriots.”

The MAGA-minded ARE patriots, Joe (unlike yourself). There was no brutality on Jan. 6 from the Trump supporters. They were not armed. Your corrupt, entrapping FBI made sure to open doors for them and wave them in. They mostly walked through the Capitol Dome and took selfies. Even now way too many rot in one of your gulags without due process. One patriot, Ashli Babbitt, was murdered by one of your own and he faced no punishment. Those belonging to the Deep State apparatchik rarely face justice. The Democrats know how to put the RAT in apparatchik.

Once claiming to be a ‘unifier,’ Biden continued to fan the flames of hate and division by stating Trump supporters were undermining the soul of the nation. His speech was not only chock-filled with his usual lies, it was also ominous, laughable, pathetic and disturbing all at the same time. His jawboning seems to threaten violent action against Trump and his supporters. Hitler first condemned and dehumanized the Jews before putting them on cattle cars. Joe tried to dehumanize those who want to make America great again. Are we supposed to be terrorists now, Joe?

Will Biden try to put us MAGA-minded on trains and send us to FEMA reeducation camps? The speech seemed designed to spark another Civil War. If the Deep State Swamp starts sending out armed operatives to take us away…well, that will certainly cause that—but we hope Biden was speaking hyperbolically. He and his desperate party might have been attempting to scare us into submission. The Marxist Democrats have armed all of the government agencies including the IRS. An army of 87,000 new IRS agents are being trained to shoot Americans. Will we soon all be systematically ’swatted?’

Government has been growing more tyrannical since the first Civil War. The tyranny gained speed under George W. Bush, but Obama especially hastened the destruction of our institutions. We know Joe is a zombie-like puppet controlled by the Obama forces, who are in turn controlled by a cadre of globalists who like to call themselves the ‘elite.’ They hate America as it stands and want us to be completely under their sadistic thumbs. They want us to be like communist China, only with the ‘elite’ in charge. Obama loved the UN far more than America and he also demonized the conservative American populace as ‘bitter clingers.’ drat right, Barry—we are clinging to God and our guns.

The Marxist, climate change alarmist Democrats have failed. They can only stay in office by stealing more elections. They’ve grown desperate. As a MAGA cartoonist I speak for many when I say we must not take Joe’s bait. He wants us to get violent so he can declare martial law or some such. His bright red, militaristic background suggests this. It’s a form of psychological conditioning. If you resist or raise too much of a fuss you might get ‘swatted’ or the FBI might even illegally confiscate your smart phone.

Even though Joe castigated and demonized us in his vile speech, he claimed he did not condemn MAGA folk the next day. Maybe Joe’s brain reverts to some sort of tabula rasa state. After reading his teleprompter, he no doubt promptly forgets what he has said. No wonder he can’t keep his lies straight. His handlers certainly remember, though.

Therefore, we MUST have a fair election for the midterms. If not, then we can talk about succession.

— Ben Garrison

Weird that Ben would misspell 'secession.'

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

the_steve posted:

When I was growing up, the super strength was always explained as "He gained the proportional strength of a spider"

Yeah, that's what I was getting at, sorry, I just forgot the exact terminology when I made that post.

Tindalos posted:

Also the animated series from my childhood had him eventually turn into a hybrid-spider form.

There are SO many variants of how Peter Parker got his powers/how they work, it's why I had stick to the original version of him or my post would have been five miles long.

I've been not commenting about the Sinfest comics because they are actually bad enough that it hurts my brain to think about them.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tindalos posted:

Also the animated series from my childhood had him eventually turn into a hybrid-spider form.

That’s straight from some late-70s issues of the comics. The cartoon is weirdly faithful to a lot of the Roy Thomas/Gerry Conway stuff.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Herbert:

Results of the job summit with some ideas more concrete than others.

Mark Knight and accompanying opinion piece in the Herald Sun:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Raised By Birds posted:

quote:

...They mostly walked through the Capitol Dome and took selfies...
As usual, 'mostly' is doing a lot of lifting there.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

"Gut Reaction"

Pontius Pepsi saith unto him, What is sucrose?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Raised By Birds posted:

Ben Garrison's Rant posted:

If you resist or raise too much of a fuss you might get ‘swatted’ or the FBI might even illegally confiscate your smart phone.

Oh no! Not your smart phone! That's definitely worse than getting SWATted! Nobody has ever died of getting SWAT called on them, after all, but people would die without instant access to Fox News and Ben Garrison comics at all times. Also, you can't call SWAT on someone without a smart phone! Which is not as bad, of course.

I don't know why that stuck out to me in all this nonsense.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Trapezium Dave posted:

:australia:

White men desperate to minimize the accomplishments of astronauts because they're a woman or a PoC is just baffling to me.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I genuinely can’t tell- is that column satire?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

I love how he absolutely can not allow himself to portray Biden as any kind of threat so instead of mirroring the Jew's fear of Hitler the MAGA is just like "Meh, Whatever" at Biden.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Trapezium Dave posted:

Lol that entire left column is "But what about the colonists? Why doesn't anyone celebrate the colonists?! :qq: " And that loving cartoon in the middle, Jesus Christ.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

All the right wing shitheads Pearl clutching over Biden’s speech after spending the past 30 years declaring every Democrat evil or outright declaring they are Satan worshipping pedophiles who literal eat kids is :laffo:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Republicans posted:

Never noticed how much the music in the bar sounds like the Mortal Kombat theme.

That's just extremely 90's acid house or whatever.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Dr. VooDoo posted:

All the right wing shitheads Pearl clutching over Biden’s speech after spending the past 30 years declaring every Democrat evil or outright declaring they are Satan worshipping pedophiles who literal eat kids is :laffo:
The comparison I saw come up was a longtime schoolyard bully finally getting hit back and instantly running crying to the teacher. It's not a perfect metaphor but it feels close enough.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Clay Bennett

Steve Breen

Clay Jones

Steve Kelley

Gary Markstein

Jack Ohman

Michael Ramirez

Jeff Stahler

Scott Stantis

Tom Stiglich

Gary Varvel

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Don't recognize the logos in that last panel, anyone know the backstory on those?

He's doing this comic but unironically:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

This is the greatest political cartoon ever.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Knowing what Varvel usually goes for, I agree, it is spectacular.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Kellies nomination: most incomprehensible

Raised By Birds posted:

Michael Ramirez

Kellies nomination: worst label

Kellies nomination: most disingenuous

Kellies nomination: worst overall. Dear lord.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Lmao "spending for votes" is the new phrase for when the government actually uses its power and revenue to help people, because when you make people's lives better they want to vote for you. Incredible.
And that... makes it Biden's fault??? Like if Biden hadn't done anything, that guy would still be dead. But now, fewer people have to die, because they won't be in the same boat? What the gently caress was the intended message here? Did he think about this for even one loving second?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Vib Rib posted:

Lmao "spending for votes" is the new phrase for when the government actually uses its power and revenue to help people, because when you make people's lives better they want to vote for you. Incredible.

And that... makes it Biden's fault??? Like if Biden hadn't done anything, that guy would still be dead. But now, fewer people have to die, because they won't be in the same boat? What the gently caress was the intended message here? Did he think about this for even one loving second?

Well, you see,

https://twitter.com/RepJimBanks/status/1562820837140742144

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That expression of malicious joy just sums up the right wing perfectly.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Vib Rib posted:

1. A person/party wants people to vote for them
2. They promise people that they will do something the people want if they get elected
3. The people vote for and elect said person/party because they want that thing to happen
4. The person/party gets elected
5. The person/party does the thing they said they would do, giving the people what they wanted

According to Kelley and others, this is a terrible thing because reasons.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Kellies nomination: most incomprehensible
The dog is eating the earth. Climate change destroys the earth.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

JamesBont posted:

1. A person/party wants people to vote for them
2. They promise people that they will do something the people want if they get elected
3. The people vote for and elect said person/party because they want that thing to happen
4. The person/party gets elected
5. The person/party does the thing they said they would do, giving the people what they wanted

According to Kelley and others, this is a terrible thing because reasons.

It's part of the libertarian ethos that the government should never ever do anything for the common folk. If you do anything for anyone with less than $10 million in the bank, you're cheating at the game they want you to play.

Also god drat that Varvel is incredible. It's so ludicrous you'd think it's a parody of the right wing hysteria over loan forgiveness, but no it's 100% sincere.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

“Forgiving student loans is a slap in the face to everyone who died because the GI Bill was the only way they could see paying off the massive extortionist debt colleges force upon you” is just a loving amazing take, you have to swallow three separate lies just to get to the point where you can swallow the fourth that is the cartoon’s point

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Have movements are now literally hurtful, if you move your hand at speed into someone's face, they will get actually hurt. This means I can no longer wave to my friends.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

This going to age very poorly in about ten days when he’s complaining about Biden’s “dangerous” speech.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Stantis thinks that Labor Day is for celebrating the concept of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
a more accurate depiction of pinnochio than the disney version