Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

CPL593H posted:

The hilarious thing about this show is that all of the stuff I'm hearing about how lovely the titular character looks would have been a non-issue if Disney would have just hired makeup artists instead of using a bunch of non-union wage slaves.

While I agree that spending 10,000 dollars to build a practical effect once is a lot more cost effective than spending 10,000 dollars per shot to render a digital equivalent, I'm wondering what sort of makeup techniques would allow 5'4 Tatiana Maslany to convincingly play a 6'7 musclebound Hulk without using any digital effects. Do they just go the Lou Ferrigno route and have the character played by a completely different actor half the time? The thing that usually separates Jen from Bruce is that she's the same person in both forms, so I imagine they wouldn't want to create an unnecessary disconnect by casting two different people in the role.
I suppose they could also just have Maslany bulk up like the Chrises and rely on forced perspective tricks, but then they'd have to find a shooting schedule with a several-month gap in the middle to allow Maslany to gain/lose mass to shoot scenes where she plays the other version of the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Robot Style posted:

While I agree that spending 10,000 dollars to build a practical effect once is a lot more cost effective than spending 10,000 dollars per shot to render a digital equivalent, I'm wondering what sort of makeup techniques would allow 5'4 Tatiana Maslany to convincingly play a 6'7 musclebound Hulk without using any digital effects. Do they just go the Lou Ferrigno route and have the character played by a completely different actor half the time? The thing that usually separates Jen from Bruce is that she's the same person in both forms, so I imagine they wouldn't want to create an unnecessary disconnect by casting two different people in the role.
I suppose they could also just have Maslany bulk up like the Chrises and rely on forced perspective tricks, but then they'd have to find a shooting schedule with a several-month gap in the middle to allow Maslany to gain/lose mass to shoot scenes where she plays the other version of the character.

According to IMDB in 2023 Tatiana Maslany is doing a TV series called "Invitation to a Bonfire" which presumably requires her to be regular Tatiana Maslany and not Hulk Maslany. So, figure she said "no" to any suggestion that she get super-bulked and then crash-diet to gain and lose weight/mass.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Robot Style posted:

Do the Captain America 1 thing and digitally make Tatiana smaller after having her get yoked, lmao.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Robot Style posted:

I didn't know the actor was over a foot shorter than the character, that still doesn't mean they couldn't use makeup for her face. This might not be as practical, but Peter Jackson used forced perspective all over LOTR to make normal sized people look tiny.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 3, 2022

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I'm not sure that would work. It would also be incongruent with the aesthetic of this show (it would be weird to have a make-up She Hulk interacting with a fully CG Hulk). Doing make up just for the face would look odd too I think, the Marvel stuff already struggles with real heads on top of CG bodies with some of the shots of Iron Man/Spider-Man in Infinity War etc. I've got to imagine that would be compounded a 1000 times by a character where there is not even a clean line of a supersuit to separate the live action and CGI elements. Forced perspective as well would be an immense challenge with how much they need to have She Hulk on screen and interacting with other characters, it's obviously incredibly restrictive in terms of camera movement etc.

The fact that She Hulk doesn't look strictly real and is a bit cartoonish I think kind of works within the tone of the show. The character comes through which is the important thing. What is clear is that Marvel (and all the studios) need to be legislated against to stop them from loving over VFX but that is a separate albeit related issue.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Karloff posted:

I'm not sure that would work. It would also be incongruent with the aesthetic of this show (it would be weird to have a make-up She Hulk interacting with a fully CG Hulk). Doing make up just for the face would look odd too I think, the Marvel stuff already struggles with real heads on top of CG bodies with some of the shots of Iron Man/Spider-Man in Infinity War etc. I've got to imagine that would be compounded a 1000 times by a character where there is not even a clean line of a supersuit to separate the live action and CGI elements. Forced perspective as well would be an immense challenge with how much they need to have She Hulk on screen and interacting with other characters, it's obviously incredibly restrictive in terms of camera movement etc.

The fact that She Hulk doesn't look strictly real and is a bit cartoonish I think kind of works within the tone of the show. The character comes through which is the important thing. What is clear is that Marvel (and all the studios) need to be legislated against to stop them from loving over VFX but that is a separate albeit related issue.

Honestly I have no loving clue how they'd pull off the forced perspective thing, I was just thinking about the scale of the LOTR films. But I haven't seen them in ages and just now remembered that large parts of those movies don't show the Hobbits in comparison to the regular sized people. But also there's just the simple fact the the MCU franchise stuff is almost entirely devoid of the craft and passion involved in the making of Lord of the Rings. I'm not trying to compare the two franchises and don't really even like LOTR. The point I'm getting at is I find it hard to image anyone over at Disney caring enough to figure out the logistics of making the actor playing She-Hulk realistically appear huge without the use of CGI. That said, I totally get it's not very practical, I acknowledged it when I mentioned this.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Upsidads posted:

Mods, turn on post smoothing please

lol if you don't already browse like this

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
*Disney stops killing VFX people by implementing practical effects like forced perspective*

*ten thousand set designers dead after first episode of Everybody Loves Galactus*

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

josh04 posted:

If I’ve drank too much I do

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

josh04 posted:

Finally a way to make my posting more tolerable

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

josh04 posted:

No need, turned 40 this year and now my vision is headed in this direction :(

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Quote is not edit

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I swear the tv manufacturers are making it more difficult or outright impossible to turn off motion smoothing. I remember I tried to turn it off years ago on my dad's old tv and the option literally did not exist. I was able to turn it off on his current one after researching how to even get to the menu for it since it was under some weirdass name. My dad, of course, loves having it on and thinks it makes everything look better.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Why didn't they just paint a lady green? I feel like that would've been cheaper/easier. It's not like the history of film has a billion examples of making somebody look larger than they are too.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Almost Blue posted:

Why didn't they just paint a lady green? I feel like that would've been cheaper/easier. It's not like the history of film has a billion examples of making somebody look larger than they are too.

At this point it's way cheaper to pay a VFX sweatshop in another country than it is to hire a team of makeup and practical effects people.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So this is fun. The actress who played the shape shifting Light Elf is not only a good friend of one of my good friends from high school, but officiated his wedding to his husband years ago (I didn’t know who she was at the time)! He posted about how excited he was for her on Facebook, and she commented how excited she was to have an MCU Wiki entry!

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Jose Oquendo posted:

At this point it's way cheaper to pay a VFX sweatshop in another country than it is to hire a team of makeup and practical effects people.

Also, this actually couldn't have worked. Tatiana Maslany is perfect as Jen Walters, but her physique wouldn't have worked in green as She Hulk. They also can't just Lou Ferrigno it, because She Hulk has to carry Maslany's voice and overall performance.

EDIT: Someone also noted that Tatiana has another project that overlapped or immediately followed this, so she probably wouldn't have been interested in bulking up to shoot separate She Hulk scenes or to do a Captain America "bulk up, then CGI down" approach.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 4, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Yeah, mocap and CGI is probably the only remotely practical way to do She-Hulk, her main gimmick is something that's easy to do in comics and animation but very tricky to pull off in live action.

Almost as if live action has its downsides.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Searching she hulk in YouTube is a real poo poo show

Lol. The Ben Shapiro one is too on the nose.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, mocap and CGI is probably the only remotely practical way to do She-Hulk, her main gimmick is something that's easy to do in comics and animation but very tricky to pull off in live action.

Also, it would have been really, really weird to have a lady in green make-up when almost every other superhero is CGI-enhanced in some way. For better or worse, that's The Look of the MCU and I'm pretty confused by the sudden clamor for a practical She-Hulk.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Some of it seems to come from concerns with labor practices. There's been a lot of discussion recently about Marvel's treatment of VFX artists, so I think some people are thinking that reducing the amount of work they'd have to do would help them out. This has combined with the really bizarre take that Marvel uses a lot of CGI specifically as a way to avoid paying union rates for makeup artists, so the idea I guess is that a She Hulk show that's done practically would be more ethical.

But then a lot of it just boils down to people filming the show on motion-smoothed tv's and laughing at the work that was done by overworked VFX artists, so I don't think a lot of people actually care that much about the wellbeing of the people who work on these shows - they just want to feel justified in making fun of them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am sure there are people who genuinely care about the VFX artists but I feel like the majority are just using it as an excuse for being angry at the show they would be angry at no matter what.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Almost Blue posted:

The people who do the makeup are in unions and have rights and are entitled to a fair wage.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Robot Style posted:

Some of it seems to come from concerns with labor practices. There's been a lot of discussion recently about Marvel's treatment of VFX artists, so I think some people are thinking that reducing the amount of work they'd have to do would help them out. This has combined with the really bizarre take that Marvel uses a lot of CGI specifically as a way to avoid paying union rates for makeup artists, so the idea I guess is that a She Hulk show that's done practically would be more ethical.

But then a lot of it just boils down to people filming the show on motion-smoothed tv's and laughing at the work that was done by overworked VFX artists, so I don't think a lot of people actually care that much about the wellbeing of the people who work on these shows - they just want to feel justified in making fun of them.

I think this is coming at it from the wrong angle though. I mean on the one hand theyre working the VFX artists hard, but more work for VFX artists isn't necessarily bad, since thats their job. The issue is with the work practices and conditions specifically, not more work = bad. Everything on a tv/movie is a poo poo tonne of hard work for someone.

As you say though yeah its not really coming out of genuine concern so much as it is lol look at the PS3 graphics with an extra layer of moral superiority.

As I understand it the big issue VFX artists have with Marvel/Disney is that theyre so much of a monopoly that if you piss them off youre shut off from a tonne of projects.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 5, 2022

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/jameelajamil/status/1566223078077747202

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Amazing.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Thundercracker posted:

Lol. The Ben Shapiro one is too on the nose.

The tough-guy glare at the camera is hilarious. “You won’t get away with this, green cartoon lady!”

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Using body doubles could work... by having someone be a Jen-sized body double.
Hire the bulkiest bulkster as She-Hulk actress and do all the Jen parts with the body double and facial shots.
No Tatyana though, which is a deal breaker.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

massive spider posted:

I think this is coming at it from the wrong angle though. I mean on the one hand theyre working the VFX artists hard, but more work for VFX artists isn't necessarily bad, since thats their job. The issue is with the work practices and conditions specifically, not more work = bad. Everything on a tv/movie is a poo poo tonne of hard work for someone.

As you say though yeah its not really coming out of genuine concern so much as it is lol look at the PS3 graphics with an extra layer of moral superiority.

As I understand it the big issue VFX artists have with Marvel/Disney is that theyre so much of a monopoly that if you piss them off youre shut off from a tonne of projects.

Robot Style literally works in CG. He knows.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Searching she hulk in YouTube is a real poo poo show

Okay, this one is pretty funny lmao.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
On the one hand, a lot of what I've seen of She Hulk looks kind of bad. It's also getting the most annoying people on the internet extremely angry. A land of contrasts.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

What cracks me up the most about the She-Hulk hate is that its a show based on a very goofy character. It's supposed to be silly, and they're getting a ton of mileage out of it. Also, lmao that people are losing their poo poo because She-Hulk did the most G-rated and milquetoast twerk sesh with Megan Thee Stallion.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Snowman_McK posted:

On the one hand, a lot of what I've seen of She Hulk looks kind of bad. It's also getting the most annoying people on the internet extremely angry. A land of contrasts.

It's the first MCU show where I've found myself looking forward to the next episode.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Can't believe they'd do this to a beloved famous character with a comic issue devoted to her skipping jump rope naked

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snowman_McK posted:

Imo this shouldn’t make anyone care about something.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Yeah does She Hulk have anything to offer to people who do not care about making their internet enemies angry?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The only reason to enjoy any form of media is to own your posting enemies

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If you have a melted idiot brain

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah does She Hulk have anything to offer to people who do not care about making their internet enemies angry?

It's a fun lawyer show with some superhero stuff and an excellent performance by Tatiana Maslany so... yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

The first episode ends with Tatiana Maslanay screaming Captain America fucks.