Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Love the look of the orc, also thought it was a striking image to watch that whole village march off on that crest of a hill in the damp morning light. For all the obvious cgi stuff there’s a fair amount of physicality to the show as well that I appreciate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

I think I'd be happier if this show was better.

It's a good show though.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Is it just me or does Robert Amarmayo as Elrond look like elven Neil Patrick Harris?

Everyone fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 4, 2022

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

So I don't watch that many television shows (especially contemporary ones) and thus don't really read TVIV. Is it normal for so many posters to complain about aesthetic minutiae that are on screen for quite literally less than half a second and then judge the overall quality of the show on it?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Everyone posted:

Is it just me or does Robert Amarmayo as Elrond look like elven Neil Patrick Harris?

Good thing I had this saved from reddit the other day:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Lol thanks.

FWIW I've only seen episode one, give it a solid 6.5 out of 10. Beautiful, music hits hard but I'm not sold on Morfydd Clark as Galadriel, the troll fight scene was cringe af and there were definite pacing/plot issues (my wife, who is not a Tolkien nerd at all but has been Stockholm Syndrome'd into enjoying the movies asked why all the elves didn't just go back to Valinor, which, in the context of the show, great question!).

Everyone says episode 2 is definitely better and I'm still hopeful, ep 1 wasn't abysmally bad but was just very mediocre overall--great in some respects and pretty lacking in others.

Oh yeah the whole jumping off the boat back to Valinor thing was extremely dumb and weird, feels like the determination to hunt down Sauron no matter what could've been developed in a much less silly manner

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 4, 2022

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I never read the books and last watched the LotR movie trilogy probably 10 years ago right before seeing The Hobbit. I really liked the first two episodes, the only part that felt too slow was the ocean part of the Galadriel part of the second episode that felt like I'd seen it in any other ocean episode of an adventure show (e.g. The Dragon Prince). The original trilogy also had pacing issues when they spent so much time showing Frodo, Sam, and Gollum walking together in the second and third movies, though. Also, that human she was arguing with was getting way too close to her face while arguing. The whole "only when we've touched the darkness" thing made me think for a little bit that it was a fake evil Valinor and the Lindon king was already corrupt or something instead of her just changing course at the very last moment. It seems like when Bronwyn's son was saying "go get help", she should have gotten help, but otoh the orc probably would've found him. I like the Harfoots. also as always the dwaves were the best part

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 4, 2022

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Everyone posted:

Nah I definitely saw a passing resemblance to Doogie.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

I thought this was a pretty good recap. And no, this isn't one of those chud youtubers going nuts about woman and brown people in the show, he never even brings that stuff up.

Strongly disagree with him on the use of map transition shots though which I thought was clunky as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlO2aKVgwnU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

lol UNDERWHELMING

Saves you a click before you even consider clicking, I like that.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the map transitions kinda needed to show more of the map for most people to know where the hell we actually were

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Everyone posted:

Hobbit NPH

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The part about sailing to Valinor was downright bizarre. Like why are they doing any of this, why is the boat magic, why are they wearing full armor at sea, why are they posing like that? How is she going to swim back to Middle Earth? Why is it so bright when the Trees died ages ago?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Doogie Howser times Hughie from The Boys

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Elrooughie

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

AndyElusive posted:

lol UNDERWHELMING

Saves you a click before you even consider clicking, I like that.

He doesn't even hate the show and says its just alright right off the bat. But I think hes on point about weird editing choices, flawed cinematography, and too much expository dialogue by characters without much personality or motivation.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Judgy Fucker posted:

Lol thanks.

why all the elves didn't just go back to Valinor, which, in the context of the show, great question!).

Some elves never saw and experienced Valinor. It is later explained that some of them also enjoyed being lords (compared to living relatively care free in Valinor in perfection without the need of such dynamics; although then it turns out those dynamics are also kinda present in Valinor?).

Anyway, point is that some Elves just liked what they were doing in ME and didn’t want to give it up. Moreover, I think Sauron was still perceived as a threat for a long time and the elves didn’t want to risk their world being attacked again.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
An awful lot of the Silmarillion involves successive waves of characters going "better to reign in hell."

e: Including Galadriel.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Arglebargle III posted:

The part about sailing to Valinor was downright bizarre. Like why are they doing any of this, why is the boat magic, why are they wearing full armor at sea, why are they posing like that? How is she going to swim back to Middle Earth? Why is it so bright when the Trees died ages ago?

To go back to their home and Elves are not subject to ME’s physics like other races and protected their home by disconnecting it from the realm in a way to prevent another attack like what happened when their trees were destroyed.

The full armour thing was a little weird but Tolkien’s work is filled with weird rituals and songs and stuff.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really don't get everyone's problem with the cave troll bit. It was a 20 second action sequence just there to show us that Galadriel does more than walk around etherially and exposit prophetically. :shrug:

stev fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 4, 2022

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The sword twirl at the end was a little silly but otherwise I thought it was fun.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
The elves on the boat spontaneously breaking out in a hymn is the most Tolkien thing ever.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
This show is such a pile of poo poo it inspired me to give the Hobbit movies another chance. Theatrical or extended editions?

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
Shut up.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

rkd_ posted:

To go back to their home and Elves are not subject to ME’s physics like other races and protected their home by disconnecting it from the realm in a way to prevent another attack like what happened when their trees were destroyed.

Bizarre explanation. Is this what non-readers are assuming based on only the info available in the show?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Judgy Fucker posted:

Lol thanks.

FWIW I've only seen episode one, give it a solid 6.5 out of 10. Beautiful, music hits hard but I'm not sold on Morfydd Clark as Galadriel, the troll fight scene was cringe af and there were definite pacing/plot issues (my wife, who is not a Tolkien nerd at all but has been Stockholm Syndrome'd into enjoying the movies asked why all the elves didn't just go back to Valinor, which, in the context of the show, great question!).

Everyone says episode 2 is definitely better and I'm still hopeful, ep 1 wasn't abysmally bad but was just very mediocre overall--great in some respects and pretty lacking in others.

Oh yeah the whole jumping off the boat back to Valinor thing was extremely dumb and weird, feels like the determination to hunt down Sauron no matter what could've been developed in a much less silly manner

Many elves including Galadriel were also banned from returning for their parts in an elven kinslaying which the show has no rights to depict. Which made the Gil-galad scene even weirder.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For the record the ban on the Noldor was lifted at the end of the War of Wrath, and many returned to Valinor as a result. The ones that remained did so for several reasons. Some stayed for pride, others for love, guilt or just for an infatuation with Middle Earth. Galadriel wanted a kingdom of her own away from Lindon and founded Lorien.

The Elves are affected by Middle Earth the same as other races. In many ways they're more affected by the changes of the Earth than any other race. The Elves ultimate fate is intrinsically tied with the world itself, waxing and waning as the ages pass. Every hurt upon the world is felt by the Elves and Valinor is the only place they can go to heal those wounds when the pain becomes too much for them.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Mameluke posted:

Many elves including Galadriel were also banned from returning for their parts in an elven kinslaying which the show has no rights to depict. Which made the Gil-galad scene even weirder.

Right, I know the Tolkien canon, I was trying to say the show did a poor job explaining the situation for Tolkien newbies

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Hell, depending on which version of Tolkien's writings you're going with, Galadriel might never have even had a ban on returning in the first place. I think any argument relying on Galadriel having one specific motivation in Tolkien's mind is flawed due to the fact that her backstory was one of the most in flux, being rewritten right up to his death.

Judgy Fucker posted:

Right, I know the Tolkien canon, I was trying to say the show did a poor job explaining the situation for Tolkien newbies
Honestly seems from this thread that the Tolkien newbies understand what the show is doing the most.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Pioneer42 posted:

Bizarre explanation. Is this what non-readers are assuming based on only the info available in the show?

Yes because it's literally not important to the plot and if you're going to ask me to accept elves and dwarves and magical monster in the first place why wouldn't I accept a magical cloud portal and self driving boats?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Count Thrashula posted:

I was literally listening to the remaster today and it still has all the narration?

Mine's the 2013 Special Edition.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Everyone posted:

When we watched the first episode, my wife said he's an even more low rent Neil Patrick Harris than Jesse Plemons is a low rent Matt Damon.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

rkd_ posted:

The full armour thing was a little weird but Tolkien’s work is filled with weird rituals and songs and stuff.

Hmm. Having just refreshed my memory on some of this stuff, it shouldn’t be hidden or disconnected at this point should it? Valinor should be clearly visible from Numenor, which is one of the reasons the Numenoreans thought they’d be able to just invade it and live forever. The ability to physically get in a normal boat and sail to Valinor was lost at the same time as the inundation of Numenor. So what’s with the big curtain opening effect, I wonder.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

lol Neil Gaiman is out there fighting dumb chuds

https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/1566434477554995201

https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/1566515586779303937

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

We live in incredibly stupid times

Gotta fight the twitter eggs

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

THE BAR posted:

Mine's the 2013 Special Edition.

The 2018 remaster should include the narration

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I watched both episodes last night and had no idea what I thought about them.

Upon reflection, they're pretty great so far!

It's got a really odd tone I don't quite know the word for. Like kind of cartoony, or a kind of heightened reality. All the crowd scenes with closeups on weird looking people for instance- dwarves and harfoots are going to have weird looking folks in the crowd scenes, but also the humans in that village in Mordor were just as... picturesque. The whole show feels like it's not really going for strict realism, and that threw me off at first, but on reflection I think I can appreciate it.

I really like the harfoots! Their society is so cozy and fun, and all of them are so charming to watch. It's a bit unfortunate about their stereotypical accent, but they themselves are delightful, and I like the girl harfoots dynamic and them having secret adventures with a weird star man.

I like Elrond's dynamic with Durin. Khazad Dum was beautiful! I was worried that the dwarves were going to be too silly in that contest of strength, but then when Durin explained his whole deal and Elrond met his wife and kids, everything was so charming. Elrond also had a pretty good dynamic with Celebrimbor and Gladriel. I like how he's just kind of quiet and thoughtful and pleasant.

I even liked the elf-human romance plot. Centering the human characters in Mordor is pretty neat to be honest. Didn't see that coming! I like how they've somehow portrayed the humans as just another race of weirdos like everyone else. It's fun. I feel like main human character woman needs a human friend though. She kind of feels like the only real person when she says "hey, the next town over got loving wiped out" and literally everyone else just shrugged. Woulda been nice if there was someone who was like, "drat, that sounds serious but what are you gonna do?" The stoic elf is pretty fun to watch so far.

I like the character they've established for Gladriel. I feel the single minded warrior of vengeance isn't usually that interesting, but somehow she's pulling it off. It's too bad she's been stuck in the ocean for all this time. Her adventures have been by far the least interesting so far, but hopefully that'll change as she and her new roguish buddy have to deal with corsairs. That seems like it'll be fun.

I did not know what to expect and was surprised at the tone of what I saw, but reflecting on it, I enjoyed watching it very much, and want to keep following these little stories!

As for the big story... after reading this thread I've learned a lot of context that made me more excited for the whole larger structure of this story. I've also been reminded of how incredibly obnoxious canon purists can be!

It's an adaptation: please just accept it as its own thing. I can understand the sense of lost potential in an adaptation that fails to capture what you appreciate about the original- you know it's less likely that an adaptation along the lines of what you might have hoped for will be made. That can be frustrating.

But were you really holding out hope for a better adaptation of the Lord of the Rings appendices? Like, is that really anything that would ever reasonably exist in a pure and coherent form?

There is a story out there that some of you clearly love, and this is not quite that story. But it isn't a bad story just because of that. (It might be bad to you for other reasons, and by all means keep criticizing it for its own failings.)

Your original appendices will always exist. Just like I can still appreciate Tom Bombadil and the Scouring of the Shire, two parts of the Lord of the Rings that I loved, regardless of what Peter Jackson put in his movies.

Sitting around and seething at this show for having the temerity to adapt a story is going to be exhausting for everyone. It would be better for everyone if there was less of that.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Eiba posted:

It's got a really odd tone I don't quite know the word for. Like kind of cartoony, or a kind of heightened reality. All the crowd scenes with closeups on weird looking people for instance- dwarves and harfoots are going to have weird looking folks in the crowd scenes, but also the humans in that village in Mordor were just as... picturesque.
The humans in Bree in the Fellowship of the Ring movie were also very caricatural, and althought it was mostly to show how out of place the hobbits were, the ones that were spying for Sauron were the more grotesque.

Tolkien characters have a very greek-mythology, kalos kagathos representation - heroes are canonically good looking and, vice versa, villains wear their moral ugliness on their skin.

The villagers are descendants of Men who allied with the Enemy and some of them at least are still stashing their Sauron-sigil-engraved swords in their barns and reminiscing about the days where they had a "true" king instead of elven peacekeepers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Eiba posted:

It's got a really odd tone I don't quite know the word for. Like kind of cartoony, or a kind of heightened reality. All the crowd scenes with closeups on weird looking people for instance- dwarves and harfoots are going to have weird looking folks in the crowd scenes, but also the humans in that village in Mordor were just as... picturesque. The whole show feels like it's not really going for strict realism, and that threw me off at first, but on reflection I think I can appreciate it.

I felt this too, and is in my mind to its great credit. It's what makes this all feel like high fantasy compared to, say, Game of Thrones' low fantasy. Which is not to say one is better than the other, but high fantasy is not something we typically get to see with this much money behind it, if it all.

I think its also nice to have a cut and dry morality in a fantasy property after decades of post 9/11 shades of gray.