Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I mean...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Contrary to popular belief, being English in Scotland is not a death sentence, and I doubt many here want that to change.
Are they at least arrested and thrown in jail these days?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

There is no Hadrian's wall to split this prison complex

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Any such UDI would require the use of violence to enforce. Otherwise it would end up a empty gesture like Catatonia's. And I don't see scots violently putting up a border at Hadrians wall anytime soon, reguardless of what the SNP does.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

To be fair there's a very recent precedent with Covid where the Tories were forced to govern.

yeah but at least Boris Johnson pretended that he was a One Nation Tory, like Cameron and May before him, even though said One Nation Toryism was just a more socially liberal Thatcherism

Truss isn't even hiding the fact that she's a Thatcherite who will kill the poor for number

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

(or RimWorld UK if you prefer)

is this a new kink event

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rimworld is a videogame, but it does have a sex mod called RimJobWorld, you will doubtless be thrilled to learn.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

RimJobWorld is so cursed it's not allowed on the steam workshop page.

With good reason.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Get hocked up on Glitterworld drugs and call in the Nanobots

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

crispix posted:

are you familiar with the scottish people at all

I. Um. Most (not all) of the history of England/Scotland relations has not actually ended up well for Scotland when violence happened, tbf.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hungry posted:

RimJobWorld is so cursed it's not allowed on the steam workshop page.

With good reason.

Oh yes it is deeply cursed.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Am surprised it hasn't leaked yet if its Truss or Rishi.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I thought rishi pretty much already conceded, saying he'd serve under the new government and whatnot. Or is that just the media framing and they both said the same?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Bit surprised about that figure. What, presumably larger traders, are accounting for this overall increase if all the small ones like this brewery are seeing their exports obliterated?

Oil and gas prices have been high? There has to be more to it, but it's a factor in the last six months.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Just watched the Have I Got Boris For You. Not...terrible? Actually. They did show a bunch of footage from the old Angus Deayton era shows with Boris on, making fun of him, which kind of felt like a bit of a defence of 'we showed you how terrible he was, not our fault' (yeah ok lads). And joked about how they helped make him PM (they did). But in general they were laser focussed on making fun of the guy, including a subtle gag about Keith having gently caress all to do with him going, and I did get a few laughs. Bloody hell Ian Hislop has a bit of a double chin now. though.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
*david icke voice*
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1566265848964186115

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

:pray:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Answers Me posted:

https://twitter.com/piercepenniless/status/1566180111849848833?s=21&t=Dc09o1JH08MOhFBmz2Op1A

I’m seeing a lot of this sentiment now - that the new government will fix this problem in the short term, because they simply have to for society to survive - but… do they? Maybe I’m stuck in doom-mongering mode, but I really think they’re quite content to ride this out and see just how far they can push it without being forced to save people.
They won’t do anything until even the big names like Wetherspoons or Sainsbury are in serious trouble over energy prices (and probably lack of business). Then they’ll leap into action by announcing a subsidy scheme that allows dead or dying businesses to be bought at a great discount, and by this time next year 95% of UK businesses will be owned by about six brands, and our tax money will have helped them do it :waycool:

E: Oh yeah they obviously won’t do anything to help regular people. People will die and landlords will make bank on all the new properties on the market.

TACD fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 4, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

presumably wetherspoons and so on are being hit by these rises? Obviously more insulated but not immune

apparently wetherspoons have 900 pubs? Put in a conservative 50k energy price increase per pub.

900 x 50k is 45million?

am I being dumb? 45million sounds like a lot for wetherspoons to soak up given all the other stuff and I reckon most of their pubs could be seeing twice that increase.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 4, 2022

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

NotJustANumber99 posted:

presumably wetherspoons and so on are being hit by these rises? Obviously more insulated but not immune

apparently wetherspoons have 900 pubs? Put in a conservative 50k energy price increase per pub.

900 x 50k is 45million?

am I being dumb? 45million sounds like a lot for wetherspoons to soak up given all the other stuff and I reckon most of their pubs could be seeing twice that increase.

https://twitter.com/g_gosden/status/1566443002125492225

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

900 x 50k is 45million?

Wetherspoons are large footprint cheap price venues that work on razor thin margins at the best of times. Its going to be absolutely hammering them.

They'll survive longer than the small micropub down the road but they'll either have to jack up prices or shut half their pubs.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Pub margins are supposedly pretty thin already right? And whetherspoons might benefit from economy of scale but they also have low prices to undercut the competition so can well imagine they will struggle as much as anywhere.*

And then get a tory bailout somehow.

*source: my rear end. So, yknow

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

the Tories will bail out Wetherspoons and that's it, and they'll become the only game in town very, very quickly

corporate pub monopoly folks! :regd08:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

It'll destroy every takeaway and cornershop though and the surviving wetherspoons will be rammed so when everyones unemployed, hungry and sober the only options left is smashing the state.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h3Zx4bV0RE

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

namesake posted:

It'll destroy every takeaway and cornershop though and the surviving wetherspoons will be rammed so when everyones unemployed, hungry and sober the only options left is smashing the state.

and that's why Wetherspoons will become the Starbucks of pubs!

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my country is dying.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

spend more on kettles

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

namesake posted:

I think about this a lot because during covid, cornershops were a lifeline for a lot of folk and (around my way at least) are the only place you can easily find paypoints to put money on for example your prepayment meter. If they all start shutting down, people who rely on them for their shopping or bill payments etc are going to be absolute screwed even harder than they already are.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

sinky posted:

Someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my country is dying.

But that 5,6,7, 250 quid to 500 quid, who does that actually represent? People on 20-40k a year? more or less? Is this enough to buy off anyone?

Its obviously no good on its own, as the energy price increases are like a factor of 5-10 higher. And its wanky lever pulling rather than actual problem solving but I dont care about a few millionaires saving 2grand, and neither I suspect do they. Clearly this wont satisfy or in any way help the vast majority of poorest people, but does it even help the middle classes?

Noone is going to be impressed or happy with this.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I think about this a lot because during covid, cornershops were a lifeline for a lot of folk and (around my way at least) are the only place you can easily find paypoints to put money on for example your prepayment meter. If they all start shutting down, people who rely on them for their shopping or bill payments etc are going to be absolute screwed even harder than they already are.

our local one saved toilet paper for people he recognised! should get an mbe or something for that imho

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

its wanky lever pulling
What are you supposed to do with a wanky lever?

Are there... instructions? :ohdear:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Julio Cruz posted:

posh as gently caress, full of the kind of daddy’s money idiots who don’t have the connections to bribe their way into Oxbridge

OP this is basically the cliff's notes

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The forecast thunderstorms are starting to turn up. Currently it's Weymouth & Dorchester that are the hotspot.
https://www.lightningmaps.org

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

So this whole time British Politics has been one big game of Werewolf and all the human players have lynched themselves?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Grammarchist posted:

So this whole time British Politics has been one big game of Werewolf and all the human players have lynched themselves?

it's just a big game of russian roulette and there are red faced simpletons chortling as they thumb more bullets into the cylinder.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

sinky posted:

For people in that top 10 percentile a grand is nothing.

They will appreciate it at best but it will not actually make a difference to them.

Truss has learnt from Boris to never back down, to to double down on anything awful she says but she hasn't learnt to dress it up with pseudo-educated bullshit.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Pablo Bluth posted:

The forecast thunderstorms are starting to turn up. Currently it's Weymouth & Dorchester that are the hotspot.
https://www.lightningmaps.org

Nm
What I mean is my satellite signal is getting affected now.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Must be near wherever my satellite dish is picking up signals from as it's started cutting out just now. Nearest showing is heading towards Bristol.

satellite tv?!? why i never