Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

What's with Kutai?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Enjoy posted:

The Mexican Soviet Republic

This flag is based on a 1994 Communist Party logo, minus the text and hammer and sickle. It looked better in my head. The 2d artist made the black borders a little too thick, so it looks bad in game. Players hate this flag.

Can confirm I hate this flag. Mostly because it doesn't fit well at all when Mexico encompasses most of the hemisphere but the flag only shows the original borders.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Powered Descent posted:

Got to say, whatever their politics, those fascist Uyghurs have a pretty striking flag design. I'd have gone with a slightly darker blue, though.

I think they were going for the steppe sky blue that you see with Kazakhstan and Altay, so darkening it would be Official Bad Flagging. It's associated with the old Tengri days, and also conveniently a stark contrast to both traditionally-russian and later soviet and PRC bright red.

Altay Kray

Altay Republic

Kökbayrak flag (unofficial, banned in PRC) for Xinjiang

And for actual sovereign entities, the Kazakh National Flag, which I'm deeply biased here but imo is the best of modern countries. In a world of boring tricolours and total fuckups (:patriot:) who wouldn't choose the golden steppe eagle?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i was about to butt in and say "who stole the flag of the East Turkestan Republic" before actually reading the post, and then actually read the post

instead, have the also-relevant flags of the (defunct) second East Turkestan Republic and Uzbekistan

that said it's unlikely the ETR flags took inspiration from other central asian states, since those were parts of the USSR at the time (which, sure, had blue in their flags, but so did most of the other SSRs), and weren't really nations prior (the Emirate of Bukhara had a flag, but it wasn't particularly turkic, and turkic nationalism in central asia was only barely a thing within the russian empire at the time the USSR came into being)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

India being proud of their dumb new flag for their dumb navy. Also Modi's turban.

https://twitter.com/narendramodi/status/1565619838865002500

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And for actual sovereign entities, the Kazakh National Flag, which I'm deeply biased here but imo is the best of modern countries. In a world of boring tricolours and total fuckups (:patriot:) who wouldn't choose the golden steppe eagle?

I'm not really a fan of the carpet pattern to the side that it and a few other flags do, but the central design sure is striking. I think Kyrgyzstan is the coolest of the steppe flags with a yurt ceiling on it, although the 40 sun rays are a bit cluttered. But also somebody else thought it was a cool design and co-opted its geometry for its own symbolism.

Most pre-independence SSR flags are truly awful, so it's impressive how good their post-independence flags are.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
KSSR went through several variants, each boringer than the last

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kurzgesagt

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

KSSR went through several variants, each boringer than the last

Wait, they changed their flag/alphabet to Latin under the USSR? That feels like a good story, does anyone know it?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

BonHair posted:

Wait, they changed their flag/alphabet to Latin under the USSR? That feels like a good story, does anyone know it?

They changed from arabic to latin (looks lot like Turkish) under the USSR, then from Latin to Cyrilic during one of the periods of Russification in the USSR. They are currently changing from Cyrilic back to Latin.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

They changed from arabic to latin (looks lot like Turkish) under the USSR, then from Latin to Cyrilic during one of the periods of Russification in the USSR. They are currently changing from Cyrilic back to Latin.

Then what's the deal with the (double) Cyrillic on the first flag? Shouldn't it be Arabic then?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

BonHair posted:

Then what's the deal with the (double) Cyrillic on the first flag? Shouldn't it be Arabic then?
I don't know Cyrillic, but from knowledge of the Latin alphabet and basic pattern recognition, the all Cyrillic one appears to say Kazakh SSR, Kazakhstan SSR. Same as the one that's mixed Cyrillic/Latin. I'd guess it's referencing the ethnicity and place separately for some reason? Or else the Kazakhs don't call their country Kazakhstan.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Kurzgesagt

Surely you mean Kyrgzgesagt

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
The state of Utah is working on a new flag. They have 20 semi finalist designs, and anyone can give feedback: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MoreThanAFlagAll22

They ask for a zip code, so maybe pick a random utah zip code to make sure your voice is heard

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

That's neat, though I won't vote for a place I don't live.

Here's all of them:

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The only one that doesn’t entirely look like 2010s corporate redesign aesthetic is the middle top one.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Bottom middle is the only one on there that makes me think of Utah (as a non-Utahn). Beehive symbolism is some weird / creepy poo poo tbh. Bottom right looks like a Republican campaign logo.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Randallteal posted:

Bottom middle is the only one on there that makes me think of Utah (as a non-Utahn). Beehive symbolism is some weird / creepy poo poo tbh. Bottom right looks like a Republican campaign logo.

It's apparently an LDS symbol, so you got it in one. Assuming this BYU article is accurate, nothing creepy about having "the kingdom of god" on a bunch of state seals and flags and poo poo, nope, not at all.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 9, 2022

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Count Roland posted:

That's neat, though I won't vote for a place I don't live.

Here's all of them:

I kinda like column 3, row 3, it looks like the flag of a Caribbean nation. Column 5, row 3 isn't bad either.

4 x 4 looks like the flag of the Marshall Islands:

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
I like that first column, third row is pretty blatantly copying Mississippi’s new flag, just with the Utah state flower

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

smug n stuff posted:

I like that first column, third row is pretty blatantly copying Mississippi’s new flag, just with the Utah state flower

I was thinking the Hong Kong flag

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I kinda like third row on the right for the same reasons as bottom middle, I'm just a sucker for stars on flags :shobon:

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Bloody Pom posted:

I kinda like third row on the right for the same reasons as bottom middle, I'm just a sucker for stars on flags :shobon:

Apparently the 8-pointed stars are supposed to represent the 8 tribal nations in Utah, which is neat.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Column one row three looks like a Japanese prefecture flag

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Discendo Vox posted:

It's apparently an LDS symbol, so you got it in one. Assuming this BYU article is accurate, nothing creepy about having "the kingdom of god" on a bunch of state seals and flags and poo poo, nope, not at all.

It's very Gilead.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

King Hong Kong posted:

The only one that doesn’t entirely look like 2010s corporate redesign aesthetic is the middle top one.

2010 corporate redesign is a very Mormon aesthetic so it’s apropos really

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I’d merge #15 and #18 if possible.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
the bottom middle delicate arch where it crosses line boundaries looks a bit too... idk, modern graphic design-y for a flag. the flat one with the star on the right looks much more flag-like

that said the rest arent proper 2010 corp redesign. what we really need is a flag with some horrid globohomo people

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Upon election I promise to petition the UN to replace each nation's flag and arms with a suitably stereotypical dog

Ladies and gentlemen, please stand for the national dog."

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Makes me glad my state flag knocked it out of the park on the second try 🌙 🌴

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Alright nerds, I was at the hospital today for some reason, and I saw this mural. It's obviously not new, but I'm guessing it's possible to date fairly accurately. And I hope y'all will like the challenge and/or have some good trivia:

I personally suck at flags, but Canada and DDR places it between 1965-1991 ish

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

It's 1971, I think -- I see Zaire, which was instuted that year, but also the Syrian flag which was out of circulation between 1961 and 1980. However, the same flag was used by the UAR which was dissolved in 1971 as well.

EDIT: Whoops they changed the UAR flag as well. But the three-star Syrian flag is there which went out of use in 1972, so I'm still comfortable with my 1971 guess.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 14, 2022

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Also South Vietnam is still on there so it’s between 1971 and 1975

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Pre-1974 Afghan flag in the top left, and the 1973-1979 flag of the Cook Islands just above Ireland and to the left of Costa Rica.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Is that the Vietcong banner between the West German and old Yemen flag?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
1970-75 Cambodian flag, and pre-1975 Laotian flag.

I have no idea what the country between Laos and Lebanon is supposed to be, someone help

e: it's Lesotho, 1966-87, but I have no idea why it's before Lebanon.

Jerkhammer
Mar 18, 2007

Albino Squirrel posted:

e: it's Lesotho, 1966-87, but I have no idea why it's before Lebanon.

Because while it is in alphabetical order, I think it's Danish. Which would also explain why it ends in Austria, East Germany and East Yemen (All of which begin with Ø)

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Jerkhammer posted:

Because while it is in alphabetical order, I think it's Danish. Which would also explain why it ends in Austria, East Germany and East Yemen (All of which begin with Ø)

Absolutely correct, specifically it's Herlev Hospital.

I'm also amazed that this was answered in 10 minutes with a specific year. That's pretty cool!

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
They have some out-of-date and unrecognized flags. The Republic of Anguilla was a largely unrecognized state that used that three-dolphins-in-a-circle motif from 1967 to 1969. And there's both the flags of the Yemen Arab Republic and the Kingdom of Yemen (the red one with the sword), although the war between them was over by 1970.

It's like Danish hospital painters in the early 70s didn't have Wikipedia or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Ikasuhito posted:

Is that the Vietcong banner between the West German and old Yemen flag?

Sure is. They even have the North Vietnam flag up there, so that's a weird one.