Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Cast hot take

I've been watching "Hacks" and Jean Smart's Deborah Vance is the Cadsuane you've been looking for.

edit: holy poo poo this is a bad snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

2 new cast members revealed. Nobody major but it’s something. Being the last week of August I would expect the new origins episodes to drop within the week as well.

https://twitter.com/geekyeri/status/1562515333398892544?s=21&t=FAw2jUKF0c7r4V3AMSnBiQ

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Gambor posted:

And you're writing fanfiction. If we just assume that Rand's symptoms are unique despite it never being said that they are, well then, job done.

The voices in the head madness is basically DID, which is controversial in the real world, but is also the go to fictional mental illness. The main fantasy twist to it is the involvement of actual past lives, which to the extent they are a thing in the real world are characterized by recovered memories. Sure, Rand wouldn't have suffered from it if not for the Taint, but that's not even the same universe as saying nobody would ever suffer from it without the Taint.
Uh... you just accused me of writing fanfiction and then your very next sentence is fan fiction.

I have to invent 0 fanfiction in order for what Semirhage said to be a lie/speculation on Rand's condition.

In order for what she said to be true, you have to invent the fanfiction that Rand's conditions is not unique and happened to other people without the influence of the taint, and that the AS of the AOL could identify someone's previous life without them fulfilling prophecy, and then you'd need an AS to have been alive during both of the person's lives so that they could confirm what the voice is saying was real, like what Lanfear does for Rand. And this would have needed to occur during the 400 years Greandel was a psychologist.

There's a lot more assumptions made on your side of the argument than on mine.

In the end it doesn't matter if it's true or not. She says it to undermine the confidence of her captors, and it works.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Rand says himself that Semiraghe very rarely lies.

She could be lying about the condition existing in the Age of Legends, but equally Rand speculates that there's a good chance she's not.

And it wouldn't be fanfiction, reincarnation is broadly understood to be a thing across Randland. People are expecting it to happen to the Dragon for one, the Horn of Valere's legend consistently speaks of heroes being Reborn.

Birgitte notes that most of her stories end in tragedy of some sort. So is it just implausible that a Hero of the horn or some former Ta'veren ends up remembering their old personality in their old age and goes mad?

At that point you'd just have to confirm that this person has knowledge that they couldn't possibly have and you'd be able to confirm the voice is real.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Natural 20 posted:

And it wouldn't be fanfiction, reincarnation is broadly understood to be a thing across Randland. People are expecting it to happen to the Dragon for one, the Horn of Valere's legend consistently speaks of heroes being Reborn.

Not just for them. The show brought it to the forefront in a couple of places, but there's a reason that "By the Light and my hope of rebirth" is considered a nearly unbreakable oath - reincarnation (for everybody) is closer to scientific law than religion in this setting.

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

th3t00t posted:

Uh... you just accused me of writing fanfiction and then your very next sentence is fan fiction.

I have to invent 0 fanfiction in order for what Semirhage said to be a lie/speculation on Rand's condition.

You would have to invent fanfiction for what I said to agree with you. Like this is all in the thread. You asked if someone with a Real Voice would be considered mad, I said yes because look at all the crappy poo poo that comes with it, and your response was "HAH! But since all the other people didn't have the crappy poo poo, she's lying." Which is reasonable, but only if you assume for no reason that the other people wouldn't have the crappy poo poo.

quote:

In order for what she said to be true, you have to invent the fanfiction that Rand's conditions is not unique and happened to other people without the influence of the taint, and that the AS of the AOL could identify someone's previous life without them fulfilling prophecy, and then you'd need an AS to have been alive during both of the person's lives so that they could confirm what the voice is saying was real, like what Lanfear does for Rand. And this would have needed to occur during the 400 years Greandel was a psychologist.

I don't have to invent anything. If she's telling the truth (a thing I think we can agree that she would do in this case if it is the truth), then it's in the text that Rand's condition isn't unique. As mentioned, that condition is basically a layman description of DID moved into a fantasy setting.

As for how they would have figured it out, people investigate past life evidence in the real world, where past lives aren't real, folks don't live hundreds of years, there aren't magic ghosts, and we don't have ancestor memory pillars.

Like we're both making exactly one assumption aside from the sarcastic remark that I labeled fanfiction. You're assuming she's lying, and therefore it follows that Rand's condition is probably unique, while this would mean that her guess that he knows things about the AOL from something nobody's heard of before would be an incredible shot, I wouldn't call it an assumption as much as a plot contrivance. I'm assuming that she's telling the truth, and therefore it follows that his condition is not unique, while this would mean that one could develop fantasy DID (WOTDID?) without the taint, I wouldn't call it an assumption as much as a reflection of the fact that it's modeled after a real world mental illness.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

If all souls are recycled then I wonder what happens if the world population rises to a point where the number of people in existence outnumbers the amount of souls. The world in the Age of Legends had to be vastly more populated than it is in the current setting. I guess it's not an issue because the world is designed to reset itself before it ever reaches that point.

But I guess this does imply that in at least some ages souls spend a lot more time hanging around waiting for rebirth.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Colonel Cool posted:

If all souls are recycled then I wonder what happens if the world population rises to a point where the number of people in existence outnumbers the amount of souls. The world in the Age of Legends had to be vastly more populated than it is in the current setting. I guess it's not an issue because the world is designed to reset itself before it ever reaches that point.

But I guess this does imply that in at least some ages souls spend a lot more time hanging around waiting for rebirth.

There was a sci-fi story from like the 1970s where babies start being born alive but essentially lifeless and it's because reincarnation is real but overpopulation made the souls run out.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So as I'm starting Winter's Heart in my re-listen, and looking back at Path of Daggers I can kind of see the structural problems that lead into The Slog. Above and beyond the increasing time between the original book releases, that is.

The first three books all have a similar structure. The characters all start together, split up, then gather together at The Eye of the World, Falme, and Tear respectively for the big conclusion. Each book, while being part of the series, is also a complete story with a beginning, middle, and end.

The Dragon Reborn changes this up by splitting the characters into three different plotlines, but each of them reach a solid conclusion in Emond's Field, Tanchiko, and in the Aiel Waste. Fires of Heaven does something similar, with Rand and Nynaeve vs Rahvin concluding the book and merging two of the plotlines in a neat Balefire bow.

Lord of Chaos is where the cracks begin to show, though. Yes, Dumai's Well is the big conclusion for Rand and Perrin both, but for the first time a really major plotline, Ebou Dar, doesn't reach conclusion. Indeed, it's barely started by the end of the book. Granted, getting the Bowl of the Winds out of Ebou Dar gets wrapped in Crown of Swords and Rand gets to conquer Ilian and kill Sammael, so that book feels mostly complete, though as with LoC before it, there's a plotline that starts and doesn't do much, which is Perrin's journey to find Maesema.

Path of Daggers doesn't really end so much as stop. Things happen, to be sure. The Bowl gets used, Rand goes to war against the Seanchan in Altara, Egwene becomes more than a puppet Amyrlin. But the end of the book isn't really all that satisfying, because the big concluding events of Rand fleeing Cairihen and Egwene leading the rebel Aes Sedai to Tar Valon aren't really end points ta all, so much as points in the middle of plotlines. And since this is a re-listen, I'm well aware that Heart of Winter DOES have a satisfying end point with the Cleansing of Saidin, but I also know that two big plotlines that have just gotten going, Elayne's quest to become Queen of Andor and Perrin chasing after Faile and the Shaido not only don't have resolution in this book, don't in the next book either! Those don't get resolved until Knife of Dreams!

So I'm thinking the move away from each book being both a self-contained story AND part of the longer saga is what leads to the Slog, and I suspect that greatly compressing books 7-11 will be one of the show's biggest challenges, assuming it makes it that far.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 25, 2022

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

I'll be damned! In my re-listen of Heart of Winter I just hit the Cadsuane scene where, among other things, Verin gets a "sleep aid" from Sorilea but is warned that more than three drops can be dangerous, and too much would be fatal. Which Verin probably used to get that "Hour of my Death" in her meeting with Egwene so much later in Gathering Storm.

Man, the forward planning Jordan pulled was insane!

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/thewheeloftime/status/1565056245332996096?s=21&t=Is1F2dS8j6SknsZN1XuOSg

its like amazon said gently caress everything not RoP this year

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

jng2058 posted:

I'll be damned! In my re-listen of Heart of Winter I just hit the Cadsuane scene where, among other things, Verin gets a "sleep aid" from Sorilea but is warned that more than three drops can be dangerous, and too much would be fatal. Which Verin probably used to get that "Hour of my Death" in her meeting with Egwene so much later in Gathering Storm.

Man, the forward planning Jordan pulled was insane!

I didn't catch that on my re-read, thank you for this! I just finished Heart of Winter today and the ending still slays

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RC Cola posted:

I didn't catch that on my re-read, thank you for this! I just finished Heart of Winter today and the ending still slays

Until Verin's hour came I assumed the sleep aid was going to be used to try and kill Cadsuane

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

CainFortea posted:

Until Verin's hour came I assumed the sleep aid was going to be used to try and kill Cadsuane

She specifically almost did that until Cadsuane started ranting about how Rand needed to stop being so emotionless and steel etc, there was a line about Verin unseen by Cadsuane returning a small container back into her pouch while making tea, and then "in her most muddled voice, Verin asked 'honey?'" or something.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

in brighter news, despite amazons neglect it seems the show has cast its first oscar winning actor

https://twitter.com/geekyeri/status/1565036949387223041?s=21&t=Is1F2dS8j6SknsZN1XuOSg

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That's some pretty Aiel coloring there.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

She'd make a fine Amys

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I had a thought just now. Moiraine asked for the angreal as one of her three demands. I wonder if she asked to retain the least part of her Power as another - if they can feed on it, why would they leave her any at all? Plus then with the angreal she's stronger than before...

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I had a thought just now. Moiraine asked for the angreal as one of her three demands. I wonder if she asked to retain the least part of her Power as another - if they can feed on it, why would they leave her any at all? Plus then with the angreal she's stronger than before...

IIRC she explained that with the angreal they were able to stretch out the feeding, which is why she had a bit of the power left. They didn't want to consume it all at once, since aes sedai so rarely get within their clutches.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Is there anything truly important to get from the beginning part of the first book, other than “young Egwene was a brat”? For some reason, the audible version skips that part.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The man called M posted:

Is there anything truly important to get from the beginning part of the first book, other than “young Egwene was a brat”? For some reason, the audible version skips that part.

No, it was inserted as a bonus way later when they split EotW into two and put it in Schoolastic book fairs. All it really does is set some of the scene for the Two Rivers in normal times

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Also, has any goon made a parody of the beginning part of each book (the one that ends with, “But this is a beginning”)?

Teva
Feb 22, 2007

I did in one of the mock draft threads here a few years ago.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

silvergoose posted:

She specifically almost did that until Cadsuane started ranting about how Rand needed to stop being so emotionless and steel etc, there was a line about Verin unseen by Cadsuane returning a small container back into her pouch while making tea, and then "in her most muddled voice, Verin asked 'honey?'" or something.

Yeah, just hit that in my re-listen. Very sneaky of Jordan to give Verin the poison, then have her think about using it and changing her mind, making it seem like that was Chekhov's poisoned tea going off, so that when it really happens three books later you've forgotten she had it!

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I guess RoP really is the only thing Amazon is giving a gently caress about right now. Wild that they delayed content for a flagship show with a joke tweet.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Viewership of wheel of time is actually spiking back up right now, probably due to the recommendation algorithm.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Rings of power makes me appreciate wheel of time more in retrospect, now that I realize how boring it is for me to listen to lore dumps and watch sleepy provincial life in a universe I don't give a poo poo about.

Another episode in the Two Rivers without an IP like LotR to keep people watching would have been the kiss of death imo, as much as I want it. Unless they really went full Thrones with sucking and loving and played up the Perrin love triangle poo poo

Chomposaur fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 4, 2022

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

With lotr money and expected viewership they could have done an actual adaptation instead of having to do stupid viewer hooks.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

WoT works better as a response and riposte to LotR, like "here's what ur world would have looked like if it had any women in it lol"

Should have aired them the other way around

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Viewership of wheel of time is actually spiking back up right now, probably due to the recommendation algorithm.

Trending top 10 again in many countries. In the Philippines RoP is #1 and WoT is #2

https://twitter.com/AludraofWoT/status/1566476958418223104?s=20&t=PJGpjJxnfzpPRL9jIXwZRg

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Chomposaur posted:

Rings of power makes me appreciate wheel of time more in retrospect, now that I realize how boring it is for me to listen to lore dumps and watch sleepy provincial life in a universe I don't give a poo poo about.

Another episode in the Two Rivers without an IP like LotR to keep people watching would have been the kiss of death imo, as much as I want it. Unless they really went full Thrones with sucking and loving and played up the Perrin love triangle poo poo

It's comical to me, many of the complaints about RoP I've seen like lore dumps and a huge, whole episode prologue are the very things people were saying WoT needed when it debuted instead of jumping straight into plot :laugh:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hexel posted:

It's comical to me, many of the complaints about RoP I've seen like lore dumps and a huge, whole episode prologue are the very things people were saying WoT needed when it debuted instead of jumping straight into plot :laugh:

I don't see how you could get an entire episode out of the prologue for Wheel of Time. I'm not even sure you could get 10 minutes out of it without adding a lot of new material or implied events.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

tsob posted:

I don't see how you could get an entire episode out of the prologue for Wheel of Time. I'm not even sure you could get 10 minutes out of it without adding a lot of new material or implied events.

I think most folks meant that they left Emonds Field too fast and should have chilled there for two episodes doing character building poo poo.

The exact kind of snoozefest that would forfeit new viewers that arent already invested in the IP.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

idk if any of you have read JRR's stuff, but the hobbit was the exciting stuff, and those movies blew.

We really needed a just OK WoT movie to peak interest before amazon bucks but :(

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

idk if any of you have read JRR's stuff, but the hobbit was the exciting stuff, and those movies blew.

We really needed a just OK WoT movie to peak interest before amazon bucks but :(

well, i mean, that's because the hobbit had maybe enough to fill 2 movies, if we're being charitable, and there were somehow 3

this is a significant part of why the movies kind of sucked

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hexel posted:

I think most folks meant that they left Emonds Field too fast and should have chilled there for two episodes doing character building poo poo.

The exact kind of snoozefest that would forfeit new viewers that arent already invested in the IP.

I don't know; I think you could theoretically get a good episode of content by building up the horror elements of the first few chapters with the Myrrdral stalking the village boys and Rand having to haul Tam's failing body through the woods while evading packs of Trollocs. I understand why they didn't, especially when Rand isn't the main POV character for the season anymore to a large degree, and don't even mind it really, but I do think it's possible to mine the first few chapters for drama and suspense that could hook viewers regardless.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The LotR movies famously worked really well because they rearranged a ton of the narrative like moving the infodump of the Council of Elrond to a prologue sequence and elsewhere.

I don't know what kind of reworking would have done similarly well for WoT but it's definitely not outlandish to think stirring the pot a bit when you're moving to a whole different medium is a good idea; indeed it's kind of essential

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I like the Emond's Field book intro just fine, but I'd gladly trade it for the Logain episode. That ruled.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

tsob posted:

I don't know; I think you could theoretically get a good episode of content by building up the horror elements of the first few chapters with the Myrrdral stalking the village boys and Rand having to haul Tam's failing body through the woods while evading packs of Trollocs. I understand why they didn't, especially when Rand isn't the main POV character for the season anymore to a large degree, and don't even mind it really, but I do think it's possible to mine the first few chapters for drama and suspense that could hook viewers regardless.
I wish they'd done the books' horror stuff tbh. The show mostly avoided it for some reason, or did horror-ish stuff but toned down mostly (bat mouth). Given that it's one of the things that distinguishes WoT in the fantasy genre, it seems a shame. Also there are really big moments later in the series which have significant kind of body horror elements, like Dumai's Wells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

There's at least 2 instances of someone having their entire skin removed and if we don't get a big squishy lumpy pile when Lanfear kills Hadnan Kadere at the docks, the series will be a failure. A failure, I say!