Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Out of curiosity are any of the resists more/less useful? Poking around I see a few that skimp on poison res, and not sure about physical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

StashAugustine posted:

Out of curiosity are any of the resists more/less useful? Poking around I see a few that skimp on poison res, and not sure about physical

Poison resist gets automatically lowered by each poison stack so you run into resistance being less impactful for the same reason 75% resistance isn't as big of a deal.

I really love this game's mechanics, juggling gear to hit exactly 75% on every resist isn't something I've ever found interesting or enjoyable.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

KPC_Mammon posted:

I really love this game's mechanics, juggling gear to hit exactly 75% on every resist isn't something I've ever found interesting or enjoyable.

"Okay if I buy this ring that'll give me so much HP/damage but I'll lose so much of one res and then be WAY overcapped on another" is one of the worst feelings in PoE

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Looks like some big updates are coming! Looking forward to checking them out. Lots of improvements across the board.

https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/community-tester-program/49111

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Murder Noveau posted:

So my friends have been saying patch 0.9 will release at the end of September but I cannot find that anywhere online. Was that something they changed their minds on or are my friends about to be very sad?

It might be hopefully by early November, but this is not for me to say. The amount of content, enhancements, upgrades, MP support being added is insane. Personally I wish we had a bit more time because, although for players it's been months, the sheer amount of stuff from all departments is huge, but the deadline has been changed a few times already to give us space and avoid crunch because the company owns.

With that said we all want 0.9 to be released as soon as humanly possible, but this is part to the road to 1.0 update. The idea is for the game to be as mature as possible as a product by the time it's released and 0.9 involves adding a lot of things that are necessary. Some of them are not visible on the player side but are still huge tasks - optimizing file sizes, normalizing systems across the board, preparing the code for the future so that our game, unlike others, doesn't suffer from spaghetti or tech debt years from now. 0.9 involves a huge worry in releasing something that will not just release bug but, going forward, make a platform for development less prone to introducing bugs.

I can't speak on behalf of the team but I do apologize for what might seem a huge delay from the playerbase. The team is growing and we're all working very hard. With the team's growth we also need to make sure the new members are up to speed. We might not be at the stage where an update can be released every 3 months like our competitors, but part of the time spent in 0.9 is to make sure we have an architecture that allows that, both for small and large patches.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 3, 2022

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:toot:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

Goddamn amen to that, I hate having to invest into resists in ARPG's.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
If nothing else, I'm really happy to hear the company of a game I enjoy tries to actually avoid crunch and trying to wring as much work out of its employees before they burn out.

all that being said i hope we get the falconer soon

Murder Noveau
Jul 25, 2007
Maybe death is a gift.
Thank you, Elentor! Nice to hear a company value their employees and I'm fine waiting longer for a quality product/smoother launch.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Keep up the great work Elentor. Excited to see the final product when it's all said and done!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea :toot: very excited

Just noticed there was a lengthy writeup posted on Friday for the game - https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/899770/view/3344507206081908475
Mostly more technical Multiplayer & Performance news, but also some gameplay stuff -- like most stuff now just grants "Melee Damage" instead of "Melee Physical Damage" or whatever element.

Which I'm excited for, makes loot filtering much easier :v:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 6, 2022

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I purchased this last night, largely blind and puttered around for an hour or two, and while there's some interesting underlying bones to the game, I think if I didn't know someone working on it, I'd have refunded it and let it cook for another year.

Here's a summary of the New Player Experience from someone who hasn't been fingers-on-the-pulse:

• On first opening the game, it was a tiny window about 1/8th of my screen.
  • I immediately went to the settings and it was set to Borderless Window, so I assumed this was a launcher thing and the regular game would fix it.
  • I changed a bunch of settings, but even on the menus here, they felt off. Idk if it was the scrolling or the borders or what, I'd have to look again, but they felt kinda "unity for dummies" off.
  • I went to character select and it was extremely odd to me that mousing over the characters gave me no info whatsoever, not even class name/style. Having to go into another screen and back out repeatedly to see all the classes was off-putting.
  • Then, the opening cutscene: This was intensely frustrating. There were no subtitles/captions, a feature I deliberately checked for in the settings menu. The game also remained in Windowed mode instead of going Borderless. Trying to figure out how to correct both of these led to me skipping the entire cutscene and that really started me on the wrong foot, because I do like to watch opening cinematics and see how the tone is set for a game.
  • I got in, and there was no Strand. I don't understand this decision. The Strand is one of the absolute best decisions that PoE did and everyone else ever since has been copying it. The "Your dork shows up -> Couple of packs of trash -> Simple Elite -> Pop into town" is widely used because it is effective. D3 did it. Marvel Heroes did it. Hell, Borderlands 2 did it. It just works. It gives new players a crash course in your game and then dumps them in town so that they can spend a few minutes looking at items and abilities. Filling up a whole inventory over 30+ minutes of boring starter zones before hitting the first town ain't it. You don't have to mindlessly copy what your contemporaries do, but if something works so well that it becomes ubiquitous, you should really have a think about why you aren't doing it and what you are doing instead adds.
  • I bounced around some more and got to... idk the second timeline and a couple zones in.
  • The most frustrating gameplay piece was when I beat the boss to hop timelines the first time, went through the portal, walked over to look across the cliff at the waypoint, walked back, immediately got portaled back to the main timeline, then the time portal vanished. I wound up having to go back to town and restart the game to force the zone to reload so I could fight the boss again and respawn the portal. I could see some players just getting frustrated and quitting at that point, which isn't ideal.
  • I think the largest turn-offs to me were all UI-based. The UI in general just needs a lot more polish. Specific notes: Every tooltip feels bloated and hard to parse, the crafting UI feels overwrought and doesn't need to be multiple windows, the skills screen is too big and overlaps the skill bar, npc dialogue windows seem excessive (unless the crafters/respecs etc. are going to have story dialogue, just let me 1-click them) and also just are a pain to read, every progression screen feels unweildy.

Some questions that came up during play:

• I played Acolyte. My initial weapon had 2 offensive stats (I want to say some kind of physical damage and also something that read akin to "adaptive spell damage"). Can I assume that neither of these gets passed on to minions and the physical damage is only for auto attacks and not spells?
  • Do the primary stats have a purpose beyond "Be X gooderer" at your class, as D3 does? Gear didn't seem to have stat reqs, so it just seems like a way to have rng bad drops.
  • Can you toggle off skill nodes? Some stuff I want is behind skill nodes I don't want and it feels weird to push builds that way.
  • Is regular health potions all that there is, potion-wise? It feels like a weird mechanic.

Like, I may try out the game some more in downtime this week, but I'm hoping some or all of this gets addressed before release because the core gameplay seems fine and I'm really down for a MP-focused ARPG. It's just that... well, all the rest of it needs a look.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Not to be a dick but like, do you really need to click on Guy In Heavy Armor and Shield, or Floating Guy With A Staff, or Person Flipping Daggers to discern what their class is?

From a technical perspective, it makes sense to click on them to zoom in and see all their subclasses & core abilities. That'd be a lot of info to splash on a simple mouse-over, and then you wouldn't be able to mouse over the individual skills because mousing off the character would de-select it.

Not sure if I experienced the resolution issues on first launch, but that's fair. I'm always annoyed when a game just doesn't intuitively pick my actual resolution + Borderless Window by default. It's definitely a terrible first impression.

Also not entirely sure I agree with the prologue being "too long". Obviously I've played a bunch of ARPGs so I didn't feel compelled to fully clear every section / every pack of trash at level 1, but I don't think it took me 20 minutes to get to the first town just now. In PoE you'll only have hit level 2 by the time you get to town, you have nothing to look at. By contrast this game I hit like level 6 or something and had a skill specialization to thumb through. Maybe the timing / length of it could be tightened up a little bit to coincide the Skill Spec with getting to town, but it doesn't seem like some egregious decision to me to have a marginally longer intro.

As for your actual questions:

1) Each spell will have "Tags", which tells you what it scales with:

So your Summon Skeletons would get bonuses from anything with "Minion" in it (eg +1 to Minion Skills), +Intelligence will give them damage, and then both things like "+Minion Melee Damage" or +Minion Physical Damage will buff them too. So something like just a flat +Physical Damage would not help them (but it would help Rip Blood, because that has the Physical scaling tag)

2) As mentioned above, almost all of your class' skills should scale with your "main stat". Additionally, some Passives / Skill specializations and unique items might add extra bonuses like "For every X Intelligence, ..." or things like that.

3) Not sure what you're asking. Like just hide them from the view so you're not tempted into speccing towards them...? No.

4) Yes. If you mouse over the Potion icon it'll explain how it scales based on player level. I think the ARPG genre as a whole doesn't know what to do with potions, lifesteel, health sustain and things like that. They're more of a backup oh poo poo button in this game, once you get a few levels under your belt and flesh out your army / stats you won't need to spam them as much as you might early on.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 7, 2022

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sab669 posted:

2) As mentioned above, almost all of your class' skills should scale with your "main stat". Additionally, some Passives / Skill specializations and unique items might add extra bonuses like "For every X Intelligence, ..." or things like that.

Sure, but why? It was a bad band-aid when D3 did it to pepper over all the stats they removed.

If an acolyte, for instance, never wants anything but int, the other stats just exist to be bad rolls.

If you aren't going to lock things behind attributes, why add them to the game?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Elentor posted:

It might be hopefully by early November, but this is not for me to say. The amount of content, enhancements, upgrades, MP support being added is insane. Personally I wish we had a bit more time because, although for players it's been months, the sheer amount of stuff from all departments is huge, but the deadline has been changed a few times already to give us space and avoid crunch because the company owns.

Glad to hear it, from the outside the progress has seemed really slow, but I suppose if everything's waiting on MP to be released, that's just a massive backlog of content that will go out when MP does. I got my money's worth from the game already, but would like it as a poe alternative for my buddy and I when we're bored of a league a month-2 months in. D3 has sucked for that lately.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Toshimo posted:

Sure, but why? It was a bad band-aid when D3 did it to pepper over all the stats they removed.

If an acolyte, for instance, never wants anything but int, the other stats just exist to be bad rolls.

Stats do provide defensive bonuses as well as scaling. Str gives armor, dex gives dodge, etc- mouse over them in the character sheet. Also some skills scale different with different stats iirc.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

Stats do provide defensive bonuses as well as scaling. Str gives armor, dex gives dodge, etc- mouse over them in the character sheet. Also some skills scale different with different stats iirc.

Also having different primary stats introduces design space for future hybrid classes, or uniques that change the way the classes interact with their non-primary stats, etc. Just because something only has a limited effect now doesn't mean that's the only way it can be used forever in a game like this.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

You are correct; Sorcerer for example has some spells that scale with both INT & DEX for the Spellblade subclass. I forgot there were some "hybrid" spells like that. I didn't see any STR & INT ones for my Primalist; I kinda expected the Shaman elemental skills to work that way but no.

And yea they do also give random stat bonuses like Armor, Dodge, Ward Retention etc. but I don't think there are really any classes that want to "double dip" much? Like my Druid does not give a gently caress about Dodge or Ward Retention.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 7, 2022

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

yeah a variety of skills have different stat scaling bonuses, and if you hold down alt while a tooltip is up the game will tell you exactly what you get from each point in terms of scaling for what stat; also a bunch of skills have specific specialization upgrade nodes that can entirely change what they scale with in addition to the element and casting changes

Sweetgrass fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 7, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Also, why that's sort of true, the crafting system alleviates the problem a little bit because you can remove affixes from an item. And then replace it with better stats.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Toshimo posted:

[*] Can you toggle off skill nodes? Some stuff I want is behind skill nodes I don't want and it feels weird to push builds that way.

No, because those nodes you want are balanced around you having taken the thing you don't want. That's how a skill tree works.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Put some more time in:

• The skills seem... fine? I've really just played the 1 build but I don't have any complaints on the skills I've used.
  • Respeccing seems harsher than I'd like. It's better than PoE for, say, reworking an entire character, but changing a few points in a tree is too onerous.
  • There doesn't feel like much, if any, incremental progression, or really any sense of direction.
  • Set items feel too rare. I've gotten a handful of them, but only once have I gotten 2 of the same set, and it wasn't for my class.
  • I'm not much of a single-player gamer anymore, so I didn't expect this to hold my attention very long, I just wanted to get my feet wet before multiplayer drops, but chat is a goddamn cesspool of bigots and assholes, so idk that I'm that interested in coming back for multiplayer.
  • I do mean to check out dungeons before I finish, because I'm not sure exactly what they are and I've got a fair number of keys.

Overall, the game's... fine. But, I'm not sure who it's for other than People Mad About PoE, which is not a market I want to interact with. Mechanically, it seems fine, but it doesn't really have a hook, or an engaging progression system. If I've missed some innovative bit, let me know and I'll check it out.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Toshimo posted:

[*] There doesn't feel like much, if any, incremental progression, or really any sense of direction.

Mechanically, it seems fine, but it doesn't really have a hook, or an engaging progression system. If I've missed some innovative bit, let me know and I'll check it out.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but are you able to describe or give an example of PoE, D3, or another game that's done it in a way you prefer? I'm asking because I feel like this game does it better than basically any ARPG I've played.

Like, in terms of sense of direction, in LE I can start up a character and immediately look through the passive and skill trees and see what sort of things that class can do and then decide on a direction, at which point I can immediately get into the loot filter and start targetting what I want. It's all there, in game (granted, the UI doesn't necessarily make that immediately obvious). On the other hand, D3 and PoE builds are usually dependent on endgame items and mechanics that a new player, or one new to that playstyle, has no way of knowing even exists.

And for incremental progression, basically every skill node does something useful, and the availability of crafting makes it really easy to improve my gear on the fly. There's an endless stream of shard drops, and I'm gathering gear to crunch down for rarer shards, so even when I really can't tweak my existing gear any further there's a very real possibility that at any moment I might find something I can craft into something even better. Compared to D3 where everything is basically irrelevant except the boss kill slot machine where either it drops the exact right set piece or it doesn't, or PoE where drops are useless and most crafting is the domain of a small minority, so most time is spent grinding to just buy the occasional major power spike.

Ultimately, LE makes it really easy to map out a build and make consistent concrete steps along that path, whereas PoE and D3 both rely on a lot of hidden information and have massive stretches of downtime between any actual improvements. In my view the LE process is far more accessible and far more satisfying than the power curve in the competition, and ultimately even with the issues (many of which I agree with you on) I'm still having a better, more engaging experience here than I would be in most other ARPGs.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Deformed Church posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but are you able to describe or give an example of PoE, D3, or another game that's done it in a way you prefer? I'm asking because I feel like this game does it better than basically any ARPG I've played.

Like, in terms of sense of direction, in LE I can start up a character and immediately look through the passive and skill trees and see what sort of things that class can do and then decide on a direction, at which point I can immediately get into the loot filter and start targetting what I want. It's all there, in game (granted, the UI doesn't necessarily make that immediately obvious). On the other hand, D3 and PoE builds are usually dependent on endgame items and mechanics that a new player, or one new to that playstyle, has no way of knowing even exists.

And for incremental progression, basically every skill node does something useful, and the availability of crafting makes it really easy to improve my gear on the fly. There's an endless stream of shard drops, and I'm gathering gear to crunch down for rarer shards, so even when I really can't tweak my existing gear any further there's a very real possibility that at any moment I might find something I can craft into something even better. Compared to D3 where everything is basically irrelevant except the boss kill slot machine where either it drops the exact right set piece or it doesn't, or PoE where drops are useless and most crafting is the domain of a small minority, so most time is spent grinding to just buy the occasional major power spike.

Ultimately, LE makes it really easy to map out a build and make consistent concrete steps along that path, whereas PoE and D3 both rely on a lot of hidden information and have massive stretches of downtime between any actual improvements. In my view the LE process is far more accessible and far more satisfying than the power curve in the competition, and ultimately even with the issues (many of which I agree with you on) I'm still having a better, more engaging experience here than I would be in most other ARPGs.

Basically, I (and the ARPG genre) don't put much interest or time into the story mode of the game. So, anything pre-map(POE)/seasonal set(D3)/monolith(LE) is just busy-work and not anything I'm considering when talking about progress and direction.

When I hit monoliths in LE, my gear hadn't been touched in about 30-40 levels. There wasn't any need and it wasn't interesting playing around with stuff every couple of levels. I did a few monoliths, picked up a few rares with 2 good stats, smashed things together for resists, and went on about my day. Now I've gone another dozen levels and nothing's really changed. I haven't gotten any drops, crafting doesn't seem to be offering me much, and the content hasn't gotten any more challenging. I'm just speed-running to checkpoints and not killing stuff, because the reward structure seems to cater to that (and, to be clear, that's boring and also not really interesting to me).

Crafting doesn't seem very appealing at all in this game, so I'm surprised to hear it's a selling point. The limits imposed by forging cap kind of kill the whole thing to me. I'm never really incentivized to try and build from anything that isn't already 99% amazing, because the results can't ever be good.

So, on the subject of actual progression:
• Path of Exile is pretty much the gold standard in terms of "here's 100 paths, do the thing you like and target the things you need". It's a bit overwhelming sometimes, but I can definitely target down stuff like Cards, Beastcrafts, Syndicate, etc. to fill gaps that I need in my gear. And there's the entirety of Atlas progression, map fragments, Delve, Alva, etc. There's always a "well, I can do X thing here to get a chance at Y thing there" and sure, you don't always get it, but there's really that progression treadmill that hits the old dopamine receptors. I mean, people complain that you have to grind currency to buy things, but SSF is a whole-rear end thing because it turns out that there absolutely are ways to make builds without relying on other people to make you stuff.
• D3 is a suck-rear end game from a gameplay standpoint, but, at least the last time I played (which has been forever and I know the game is just flat dumb for progression now), there were several avenues of progression: Bounties, Rifts (gems/shards), Cubing, Ubers. It wasn't great, but between things being very targetable, and the love-it-or-hate-it paragon grind, there was always a feeling of Progress.

Other games do similar. Marvel Heroes definitely had a bunch of targeted progression. Things like Borderlands do the same (yes, I lump those games in here, because they follow all the same mechanics except the control set).

LE... doesn't. At least if it does, I've not seen it. And, again, I could have missed something, but I feel like if it exists, the game has done a poor job articulating it. Crafting feels flat. The bonus drops at the end of a map don't feel rewarding. And slowly working my way through respeccing has been a slog. I don't feel like I've ever really gotten more powerful, and I don't see any clear paths to doing that.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The loot filter whips rear end

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Toshimo posted:

LE... doesn't. At least if it does, I've not seen it. And, again, I could have missed something, but I feel like if it exists, the game has done a poor job articulating it. Crafting feels flat. The bonus drops at the end of a map don't feel rewarding. And slowly working my way through respeccing has been a slog. I don't feel like I've ever really gotten more powerful, and I don't see any clear paths to doing that.

If you aren't engaging with crafting or picking up gear or respeccing to try out better combos and feel like you haven't gotten any more powerful I'm pretty sure I know why you aren't feeling like there is any progression.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
On a related topic. How does crafting actually work?

I've played this game on and off for years but still have no idea how crafting is supposed to work or what the shards do. I just pick them up and bank them.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
The in-game guide covers this (and many other topics), so I recommend checking that out (it's offline here). But the short version is you use shards to upgrade or add affixes to items as long as the item has crafting potential, runes can be used instead of shards to modify the item in other ways, and glyphs modify how the other two work.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Thanks, I do see where you're coming from here. There is definitely a bit of a lull between the end of the chapters and the endgame really kicking in. It also sounds like you might have lucked into a balance corner where you're not fishing for upgrades the way some builds might be.

In terms of monoliths, the big paradigm shift doesn't actually happen until you finish all of them, at which point you unlock max level versions of each, where you can then crank up the difficulty and rewards even further by completing outer nodes to stack corruption. To use a PoE analogy, right now it seems like you're in white/yellow maps where the endgame mechanics have arrived but you're not really getting their full potential yet.

Dungeons are probably a pretty good thing for you to explore - they're more difficult and have new reward mechanisms. Specifically I'd point out that you want to be looking for unique items with legendary potential, and well rolled exalted items (or acceptable ones you can then craft into something better), which you can mash together into the Temporal Sanctum. Lightless Arbor has a gold sink you can use to get some major, semi targetted lootsplosions and Soulfire Bastion has a gambling-on-steroids mechanic to get some great stuff.

I'd also encourage you to try casting a wider net on drops and crafting. The system is flexible enough that something with 2 or 3 ideal affixes can be useful very late into the game, and if you have something that doesn't quite fit because it unbalances your resist or your crit avoidance you can often tweak elsewhere to compensate. Unless you've been unbelievably lucky with drops and build choice I don't actually believe you're at the point where there aren't accessible and worthwhile improvements to be made. In the endgame I'd in particular point out the glyphs of chaos and despair for letting you radically improve items beyond how they already drop.

In terms of targeted progression, I think you're underselling LE's options a bit. At the basic level having a choice over what kind of rewards I want at the end of any given echo is way better than the average PoE map or D3 rift just dropping literally whatever, and then every major endgame boss has it's own chase uniques (you can browse the full database here) and the exciting things the dungeons can yield. As an aside, it's a matter of taste but I don't really agree on PoE doing it better - sure it has a lot of targeting mechanics, but especially in SSF you really don't get to engage with them all that frequently, whereas in LE basically anything is available on demand.

For what it's worth, to me the issues you're seeing sound more like they're due to the game being unfinished than due to the core systems or design philosophy. Their track record has been pretty good in continuing to add meaningful and interesting content, and on tweaking and revamping both skills and gear to improve the balance and provide fun ways to keep improving characters. I agree there are fundamentally some gaps where the game needs more stuff, but I have a good amount of faith that they will get there.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Toshimo posted:

I purchased this last night, largely blind and puttered around for an hour or two, and while there's some interesting underlying bones to the game, I think if I didn't know someone working on it, I'd have refunded it and let it cook for another year.

Here's a summary of the New Player Experience from someone who hasn't been fingers-on-the-pulse:

• On first opening the game, it was a tiny window about 1/8th of my screen.
  • I immediately went to the settings and it was set to Borderless Window, so I assumed this was a launcher thing and the regular game would fix it.
  • I changed a bunch of settings, but even on the menus here, they felt off. Idk if it was the scrolling or the borders or what, I'd have to look again, but they felt kinda "unity for dummies" off.
  • I went to character select and it was extremely odd to me that mousing over the characters gave me no info whatsoever, not even class name/style. Having to go into another screen and back out repeatedly to see all the classes was off-putting.
  • Then, the opening cutscene: This was intensely frustrating. There were no subtitles/captions, a feature I deliberately checked for in the settings menu. The game also remained in Windowed mode instead of going Borderless. Trying to figure out how to correct both of these led to me skipping the entire cutscene and that really started me on the wrong foot, because I do like to watch opening cinematics and see how the tone is set for a game.
  • I got in, and there was no Strand. I don't understand this decision. The Strand is one of the absolute best decisions that PoE did and everyone else ever since has been copying it. The "Your dork shows up -> Couple of packs of trash -> Simple Elite -> Pop into town" is widely used because it is effective. D3 did it. Marvel Heroes did it. Hell, Borderlands 2 did it. It just works. It gives new players a crash course in your game and then dumps them in town so that they can spend a few minutes looking at items and abilities. Filling up a whole inventory over 30+ minutes of boring starter zones before hitting the first town ain't it. You don't have to mindlessly copy what your contemporaries do, but if something works so well that it becomes ubiquitous, you should really have a think about why you aren't doing it and what you are doing instead adds.
  • I bounced around some more and got to... idk the second timeline and a couple zones in.
  • The most frustrating gameplay piece was when I beat the boss to hop timelines the first time, went through the portal, walked over to look across the cliff at the waypoint, walked back, immediately got portaled back to the main timeline, then the time portal vanished. I wound up having to go back to town and restart the game to force the zone to reload so I could fight the boss again and respawn the portal. I could see some players just getting frustrated and quitting at that point, which isn't ideal.
  • I think the largest turn-offs to me were all UI-based. The UI in general just needs a lot more polish. Specific notes: Every tooltip feels bloated and hard to parse, the crafting UI feels overwrought and doesn't need to be multiple windows, the skills screen is too big and overlaps the skill bar, npc dialogue windows seem excessive (unless the crafters/respecs etc. are going to have story dialogue, just let me 1-click them) and also just are a pain to read, every progression screen feels unweildy.

Some questions that came up during play:

• I played Acolyte. My initial weapon had 2 offensive stats (I want to say some kind of physical damage and also something that read akin to "adaptive spell damage"). Can I assume that neither of these gets passed on to minions and the physical damage is only for auto attacks and not spells?
  • Do the primary stats have a purpose beyond "Be X gooderer" at your class, as D3 does? Gear didn't seem to have stat reqs, so it just seems like a way to have rng bad drops.
  • Can you toggle off skill nodes? Some stuff I want is behind skill nodes I don't want and it feels weird to push builds that way.
  • Is regular health potions all that there is, potion-wise? It feels like a weird mechanic.

Like, I may try out the game some more in downtime this week, but I'm hoping some or all of this gets addressed before release because the core gameplay seems fine and I'm really down for a MP-focused ARPG. It's just that... well, all the rest of it needs a look.

All this and not a single mention of the actual worst part of the starting experience, which is immediately having to do account creation with dogshit password rules and not even having the common decency to take you to a website so your password manager can easily handle it?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

TaintedBalance posted:

All this and not a single mention of the actual worst part of the starting experience, which is immediately having to do account creation with dogshit password rules and not even having the common decency to take you to a website so your password manager can easily handle it?

I immediately refunded the game first time around for this reason. Came back much later to give it another try.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

KPC_Mammon posted:

I immediately refunded the game first time around for this reason. Came back much later to give it another try.

I was very, very close to doing so. Glad I didn't, but that was an experience they need to unfuck.

rasputin handshake
Dec 25, 2005

Hello, WIP? Am I on?
Is LE doing full character resets when they release new patches? Was thinking about picking this up this weekend but I thought the multiplayer patch was coming soon and don’t want to get into it if I’m just going to get wiped in a few weeks.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
Characters don't get wiped, but any characters created before the multiplayer patch will be offline-only. The most recent ETA for multiplayer patch was "hopefully this year", so you've got plenty of time.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
When they launch multiplayer, you'll keep your old characters since they are classified as "offline."

rasputin handshake
Dec 25, 2005

Hello, WIP? Am I on?

Edly posted:

Characters don't get wiped, but any characters created before the multiplayer patch will be offline-only. The most recent ETA for multiplayer patch was "hopefully this year", so you've got plenty of time.

Oh okay, good to know, thank you!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

started up a spin2win character, p fun

Hauki
May 11, 2010

0.9 & multi beta announced for March 9th FYI

MrMidnight