Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

coldpudding posted:

It goes both ways and I hate it, trying to use the mouse to navigate the menu system in games like skyrim and borderlands3 is a ripe pain in the rear end, like sure you can click on that but you better do it on this exact tiny little bit of text inside the button frame and nowhere else or your click won't register.

This is a gripe I have with GUIs in general is a thing I call click transparency where you have a drop down menu or window open that can you accidentally click through to whatever is in the background layer.

Oh the Skyrim UI is a hot mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Morpheus posted:

Anyway I'm playing Risk of Rain 2 with some friends, and it's basically most of the things I don't like in roguelikes - little meta-progression, very little choice with regards to your build, a bunch of stuff that is never explained, etc. Then there's stuff like having extremely little feedback about what kills you (the number of times we said 'wait what, what just hit me'), or how in multiplayer if you die you get to....just watch until your friends beat the level. I died near the beginning of the final level and for twenty minutes had nothing to do but watch the game. This was thirty minutes into a run. Scintillating stuff.

On the one hand, I disagree in that I think RoR2 can be really fun and rewarding. But with the huge caveat that you have to step on so many goddamn rakes along the way to get there.

The meta-progression exists but is downright terrible. You do get choices with your build, but the game is never forthcoming on how it's meant to all work (doubly so if you're just starting and haven't unlocked all the items yet) and even then the availability of those choices is itself random.

It's also a game where I find co-op actively makes it worse. The more players you have, the more time you spend negotiating who gets what item OR people just hoover up whatever they like so some folks inevitably get short-changed. To say nothing of the massive death spiral caused if you eat it early into a stage, have fun missing an entire stage's worth of items!

FWIW, there's a bevy of QoL mods out there with a key one being the addition of Revival Shrines where you can trade gold to bring teammates back to life. The unlocks are also all controlled via a plaintext file, so with the help of a Steam guide about it you can easily bypass whatever you don't feel like doing.

Oh, and the number one cause of "what the hell killed me?": Assuming you're playing with the DLC active, it's void enemies. They all get the effect of the Needletick item, which stacks a debuff that then explodes a few seconds later. When you open Void Pods they unleash infestors that can take over other enemies to give them the same void effects. They can also take control of your own friendly polyp turrets because the devs are assholes.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 08:16 on Sep 4, 2022

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Morpheus posted:

how in multiplayer if you die you get to....just watch until your friends beat the level. I died near the beginning of the final level and for twenty minutes had nothing to do but watch the game. This was thirty minutes into a run. Scintillating stuff.

Oh man this was my risk of rain 1 experience - it had looked like a neat game to bring to our Xmas LAN largely blind (the experience of everyone learning a game together is great) but the first person died and we just started at it baffled.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Risk of rain 2 becomes playable when you activate the modifier that makes enemies randomly drop power ups instead of cash, and the modifier that lets you choose what's in the power up when you pick it up. Look up a guide on how to unlock them, then actually have fun with the game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also the time/difficulty scaling is no joke and I'm pretty sure it compounds with co-op scaling factors. Getting four players to focus on completing stages even vaguely efficiently is basically impossible.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I'm not fundamentally opposed to bosses, but I really feel like a lot of game designers are really garbage at making them, because they don't seem to understand how their mechanics actually work for the player, or just provide a fundamentally different ( and maybe uninteresting) experience to the player.

The (probably )final boss in Midnight Fight Express is really good example, it's a guy flying around in an office while adds come in at certain points, pretty standard. However using any of the ca 40 skills you've unlocked since the beginning of the game to deal with the additional enemies is pretty much a death sentence. Pretty much all those skills lock you into an animation that is way longer than the charge up time of the boss's almost insta-death laser, so doing anything other than the basic attack or dodge will just get you killed, because finishers and counters just take too long.
And you can't just ignore the adds either because the boss only takes damage from melee weapon attacks, so you have to beat them up for their limited use weapons so you can beat him with them.

And while you can disable bought skills, so you aren't accidentally doing them, that can only be done before a mission and before the boss fight there is another fight where you really want them active.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Philippe posted:

Oh the Skyrim UI is a hot mess.

The biggest reason to never play a bethesda game on a console or on release is because you need to wait until modders fix the UI to be not completely awful

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm apparently a huge weirdo because I didn't have that much of a problem with the default Oblivion and Skyrim UIs. They have very perceptible flaws, but not to such a degree that I felt the need to use something like SkyUI which I find vastly more ugly and completely unnecessary.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I'm done with Elden Ring. I just can't play this game any more. I quit Dark Souls 3 halfway through and thought I'd come back one day but now I think Dark Souls 3 marks the point where Fromsoft's combat philosophy became unfun for me. I'll have to try Bloodborne and Sekiro to see where they lie, but DS3 and Elden Ring are definitely too far. Dark Souls got me into the series because it was slow and methodical and now the games don't resemble that at all. I feel like Fromsoft used DS1 to bait me into playing a series of fast action combat games, a genre I've never enjoyed.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Morpheus posted:

or how in multiplayer if you die you get to....just watch until your friends beat the level. I died near the beginning of the final level and for twenty minutes had nothing to do but watch the game. This was thirty minutes into a run. Scintillating stuff.

A disconcerting number of co-op games seem to just do this now and it loving sucks. A friend of mine likes to buy whatever game catches their fancy so I'll play it with them, and if it's a game I'm just bad at, like Barony, I'll wind up spending maybe 20 minutes out of every hour and a half we play together actually playing and the rest just being dead and watching other people play instead. It's just kind of bad and not fun from a game design perspective, why the gently caress would anyone make their game like this.

Phigs posted:

I'm done with Elden Ring. I just can't play this game any more. I quit Dark Souls 3 halfway through and thought I'd come back one day but now I think Dark Souls 3 marks the point where Fromsoft's combat philosophy became unfun for me. I'll have to try Bloodborne and Sekiro to see where they lie, but DS3 and Elden Ring are definitely too far. Dark Souls got me into the series because it was slow and methodical and now the games don't resemble that at all. I feel like Fromsoft used DS1 to bait me into playing a series of fast action combat games, a genre I've never enjoyed.

You'll hate both of those games, honestly. They're both very fast paced and aggro. I don't think any from games have really been slow paced since Dark Souls 2. Unless you count the demon's souls remake. And while I don't dislike the direction combat took, I do agree that I miss the slower, more ponderous style and wish there were more games that played like that because it really scratched an itch that faster paced action games just don't for me.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I wish DS3/Elden Ring were more deliberate like DS1 was because they don’t make the concessions/changes Bloodborne/Sekiro did to make being more aggressive a strat that felt equally as valid as hiding behind a shield like a bitch in Elden Ring but since BB/Sekiro did make those changes I’m pretty happy with them.

And I guess it doesn’t belong in this thread but Sekiro felt like the start of just plopping a save/respawn point near a boss you’d be retrying ad naseum so there’s that!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Leal posted:

Video games with diplomacy that penalize you for distance. You know who I'm most likely to declare war on and remove from the game? Factions close to me. Who am I least likely to war with, and thus would want to open up trade deals with? Factions far away from me. Its a "gently caress you" tax

Question - would a proximity bonus, to encourage you to try trade rather than war with your neighbours, work better for you than a distance penalty? Even if the numbers work out the same.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
As I often say, Dark Souls 3 is a fantastic action game and I find it tons of fun to play. But shame it just wasn't all that good of a Dark Souls game.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Saints Row 2022: Sometimes Insurance Fraud, a side activity where the goal is to get hit by as many cars as possible, just doesn’t spawn any cars.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Pancho Jueves posted:

Saints Row 2022: Sometimes Insurance Fraud, a side activity where the goal is to get hit by as many cars as possible, just doesn’t spawn any cars.

Yeah, that's a problem they just can't seem to fix, it's their fifth or sixth go around and Insurance Fraud &Mayhem, the activities that imply just going nuts usually require the most focus and planning. The funny thing is that I just assumed that the low spawn limit was an engine limitation until I had a mission where I was supposed to escape with something fragile and it spawned 5-6x as many vehicles as I'd ever seen before.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Tenebrais posted:

Question - would a proximity bonus, to encourage you to try trade rather than war with your neighbours, work better for you than a distance penalty? Even if the numbers work out the same.

Distance opinion modifiers, good or bad, fall apart by simple virtue of games being games. You're going to expand eventually, as much as you might like the empire next door the only land around is at the border.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Forbidden West:

Overall, enemies hit way too hard and take way more damage to kill compared to the Zero Dawn. I'll get hit by just some random laser beam or thrown rock or something, and it takes off like half or 3/4 of my health.

And I'll try to knock components off and use acid for armor reduction and whatnot, but it still takes so long to kill either a mini-boss type enemy, like in a cauldron, or even a small group of what should be nothing enemies to me at this point, lvl 20.

And SPEAKING of knocking components off, where the gently caress are my tear-blast arrows already? I'm sure I had them at this point in Zero Dawn. Haven't found a vendor with a boy that makes/uses them yet.

Like, my main bow right now is the sun-touched hunter bow, blue-tier, so rare. It's normal arrows do 33 impact and 63 tear damage. I have the Shearing Warrior Bow, also blue/rare tier, and it's designed to take off components...and it only does 42 tear damage. And that's with a +7% tear coil. Why does the bow that, in theory, is better for component removal have less tear damage? It should allow me to make/use tear-blast arrows if that's its specialty, right?

I also have a couple sniping bows, and even when upgraded...they suck? I honestly feel like almost all human enemies in the first game, other than bosses of camps, went down in a single stealth snipe to a sniping bow. I'm doing MAYBE 1/3 of their health my my blue-tier sniping bow that does almost 100 impact. Even with a +snipe damage coil and using the Stealth Damage valor surge, I maybe can kill one with a headshot.

I guess they wanted to make human enemies and clearing camps and such more of a challenge than the first game, where yes, by the time you hit like level 15 or so they were never remotely a challenge...but I think they over-corrected.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Phigs posted:

Bloodborne and Sekiro are very far on the fast end of things. Demon’s Souls might be what you’re looking for

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Maybe perhaps a Monster Hunter instead

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Monster Hunter's control scheme, while non-standard, felt so utterly smooth once I was able to pin my ADHD down and learn the buttons that I genuinely had a hard time finishing Elden Ring when I went back to it. I know that's a weird way to turn a compliment into a complaint but that's genuinely what happened, I picked Elden Ring back up and went "...eugh, dude, the camera auto-center..." as soon as I started walking. That game and all Souls games play like you're trawling through a mud river even if you're not in one of the many mud rivers those games contain. In tighter spaces and environments it works great, adds lots of weight and intent to every one of your actions. In open environments like giant fields with no walls or some of the game's absurdly huge boss fight arenas wherein you cannot bring out Torrent, its player-only sluggishness shows as a flaw completely bare-assed imo.

edit: Elden Ring also features a lot of forests that have actual density to them which, while cool, doesn't make for good fighting on Torrent nor really on foot because your roll carries you into the trees and stops your momentum. Enemy swords and especially spears (I'm looking at you hopping fuckers) just hit you through trees like they aren't there but as usual for the Souls games yours don't do the same.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:38 on Sep 4, 2022

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Honestly, halfway through Elden Ring I found myself wondering whether I was just getting too old to enjoy action/combat games and reinstalled MG: Revengeance to make sure. Turns out it was really just an ER issue, Revengeance still fucks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
God imagine if Sekiro's grappling hook was in Elden Ring somewhere, and you could then use it by jumping and hitting 'roll' to latch on to whatever in the environment and get a boost over there and some i-frames. That move all annoying Souls game bosses do where they hover in the air for 3 seconds static and then slam down like an F1 car taking off, except it's you doing it to the enemies.

They let you JUMP in Elden Ring, finally, and they add no gameplay mechanics to it except for more Souls platforming :negative:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Hel posted:

Yeah, that's a problem they just can't seem to fix, it's their fifth or sixth go around and Insurance Fraud &Mayhem, the activities that imply just going nuts usually require the most focus and planning. The funny thing is that I just assumed that the low spawn limit was an engine limitation until I had a mission where I was supposed to escape with something fragile and it spawned 5-6x as many vehicles as I'd ever seen before.

In 3 there are usually enough vehicles, in 4 you don’t need them once you get powers, just launch yourself in the air and go limp. (I like that they redefine it as breaking the simulation.)

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I still don't know what motion blur is and if you try to explain it to me my eyes will glaze over and I'll stop listening.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I still don't know what motion blur is and if you try to explain it to me my eyes will glaze over and I'll stop listening.

When camera go wooosh picture go brrrrr

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CJacobs posted:

They let you JUMP in Elden Ring, finally, and they add no gameplay mechanics to it except for more Souls platforming :negative:

Jump+R2 attacks in ER are insanely useful (they’re total poise smashers) and jumping lets you dodge a bunch of ground effect attacks.

I mean it’s not a ton of extra depth but it’s incredibly useful in combat.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Dewgy posted:

Jump+R2 attacks in ER are insanely useful (they’re total poise smashers) and jumping lets you dodge a bunch of ground effect attacks.

I mean it’s not a ton of extra depth but it’s incredibly useful in combat.

This was how I beat the game with my dual wield big swords build. I basically stood in place, jumped, smashed, and most bosses got hit and stumbled backwards just long enough for me to jump and smash again.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

CJacobs posted:

Monster Hunter's control scheme, while non-standard, felt so utterly smooth once I was able to pin my ADHD down and learn the buttons that I genuinely had a hard time finishing Elden Ring when I went back to it. I know that's a weird way to turn a compliment into a complaint but that's genuinely what happened, I picked Elden Ring back up and went "...eugh, dude, the camera auto-center..." as soon as I started walking. That game and all Souls games play like you're trawling through a mud river even if you're not in one of the many mud rivers those games contain. In tighter spaces and environments it works great, adds lots of weight and intent to every one of your actions. In open environments like giant fields with no walls or some of the game's absurdly huge boss fight arenas wherein you cannot bring out Torrent, its player-only sluggishness shows as a flaw completely bare-assed imo.

edit: Elden Ring also features a lot of forests that have actual density to them which, while cool, doesn't make for good fighting on Torrent nor really on foot because your roll carries you into the trees and stops your momentum. Enemy swords and especially spears (I'm looking at you hopping fuckers) just hit you through trees like they aren't there but as usual for the Souls games yours don't do the same.

Disable camera auto center in the options.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This was a few months before they added that option to the game, since Rise came a month after ER and I swapped to that, but I enabled it after it got put in and it does wonders.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Sekiro is actually on the easier side of From's games.

You have infinite stamina, infinite sprint, and a 100% block right from the start; and almost every unblockable attack is clearly marked as such. "Parry" is also the same button as block, it's just a better block once you get the timing right.

You also have a stealth instakill that works on the majority of trash enemies, and nothing stops you from stabbing an enemy and then sprinting the hell out of there to go reset their buddies.

Once you realise that in any boss fight you're meant to stand there and block stuff unless it's unblockable, it's a pretty straightforward game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Enjoying the Hitman trilogy. Feels like if MGSV was actually finished since all the side-content is hand-crafted and less stock like "Mine Clearing 5." They get their money's worth out of the maps, which is a wise and economical decision.

Which brings to mind, has a game ever devoted loads of detail to a level, only for it to be disproportionately short or barely used?

The Profaned Capitol in Dark Souls 3 felt more like a Condemned Bungalow. Soul Reaver had an entire citadel that was pointless because the game got cut in half.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Which brings to mind, has a game ever devoted loads of detail to a level, only for it to be disproportionately short or barely used?

Vinland in AC Valhalla is a huge area with forests and rivers and such, but you go there once for a side quest that takes maybe an hour.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Enjoying the Hitman trilogy. Feels like if MGSV was actually finished since all the side-content is hand-crafted and less stock like "Mine Clearing 5." They get their money's worth out of the maps, which is a wise and economical decision.

Just started Hitman 3 and the feeling I get is that the further into the trilogy they went , the more they started making the levels for the escalation missions and other side content. The missions are way too big for the main content and lots of the maps are really only there for extra stuff, which kills the feeling of the extra missions being there after you mastered the levels.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

bewilderment posted:

Once you've learned it, sure.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

bewilderment posted:

You have infinite stamina, infinite sprint, and a 100% block right from the start; and almost every unblockable attack is clearly marked as such. "Parry" is also the same button as block, it's just a better block once you get the timing right.

You also have a stealth instakill that works on the majority of trash enemies, and nothing stops you from stabbing an enemy and then sprinting the hell out of there to go reset their buddies.

Once you realise that in any boss fight you're meant to stand there and block stuff unless it's unblockable, it's a pretty straightforward game.

I mean, all that is true, but if you’re playing Sekiro you have to engage with becoming above mediocre at combat, which I sure would not say Elden Ring or even Dark Souls III. You don’t have to beat Malenia to hit the ending of ER but you do have to learn how to read Sekiro’s final boss’s attacks without summons or ranged attacks, which is probably the single hardest mandatory thing in a From game.

Don’t get me wrong, I loved Sekiro when i didn’t have to engage with half-baked mechanics but it’s not a game I’d advise for OP wanting something slower paced out of a Souls game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hel posted:

Just started Hitman 3 and the feeling I get is that the further into the trilogy they went , the more they started making the levels for the escalation missions and other side content. The missions are way too big for the main content and lots of the maps are really only there for extra stuff, which kills the feeling of the extra missions being there after you mastered the levels.

I don't know, the map that most evokes that feeling for me is Sapienza, with Marrakesh and Bangkok not far behind.

But it's definitely true that you can see the budget cuts in the later games. The Dartmoor Garden Festival reworks its level as much as some of the DLC for the first game did but lacks the scripting and story content to go alongside it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Gort posted:

Once you've learned it, sure.
The game has a tutorial that teaches you both stealth and combat and even, unlike most FromSoft games, a guy that exists solely for you to practice stuff on before you go into the first real level!

Last Celebration posted:

I mean, all that is true, but if you’re playing Sekiro you have to engage with becoming above mediocre at combat, which I sure would not say Elden Ring or even Dark Souls III. You don’t have to beat Malenia to hit the ending of ER but you do have to learn how to read Sekiro’s final boss’s attacks without summons or ranged attacks, which is probably the single hardest mandatory thing in a From game.

Don’t get me wrong, I loved Sekiro when i didn’t have to engage with half-baked mechanics but it’s not a game I’d advise for OP wanting something slower paced out of a Souls game.

When I first beat Sekiro I actually uploaded the recording of my success against the last boss just to show it's entirely possible to flub half your reactions and regularly eat poo poo to obvious attacks and still eke out a win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjkdnorflRU

at no point did I learn any 'trick' over my attempts other than 'mikiri a stab' and 'run away when he charges up'

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

bewilderment posted:

The game has a tutorial that teaches you both stealth and combat and even, unlike most FromSoft games, a guy that exists solely for you to practice stuff on before you go into the first real level!

When I first beat Sekiro I actually uploaded the recording of my success against the last boss just to show it's entirely possible to flub half your reactions and regularly eat poo poo to obvious attacks and still eke out a win.

at no point did I learn any 'trick' over my attempts other than 'mikiri a stab' and 'run away when he charges up'

All bosses have different posture regen speeds and the final boss happens to have one of the worst, which is probably a blessing because it's a tough fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

bewilderment posted:

I mean, again, I don’t think you need to meet some level of gamer perfection to beat it since *I* beat Sekiro, just that the original poster that brought up this conversation said they didn’t care for the faster pace of Dark Souls III/Elden Ring, so Sekiro is probably gonna disappoint too, regardless of being imho one of the best From titles (and really it would be the best one without the dumb janky parts like bosses with Burn/Terror).