Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

You can return Amazon stuff to Kohls? I had no idea. That's pretty useful knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Buncha people with no Kohl's Cash itt.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ofecks posted:

You can return Amazon stuff to Kohls? I had no idea. That's pretty useful knowledge.

I'm pretty sure you can do it at a UPS Store too.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ofecks posted:

Iron Crowned posted:

Also Whole Foods too, and I think some drugstores like Walgreens as well. If you’re doing a return, they’ll usually give you a list of places you can drop it off.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I’ve posted this in another thread and sometimes this happens for whatever reason.

The last three returns were free but this one they wanted to charge. No idea why it happens.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Man who jumped from 18th floor of NYC tower identified as Bed Bath & Beyond CFO

:stare:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

That's just a little overdramatic

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

The agreement Kohls has with each company is that you have to live X amount of miles from the location for it to even give you the option to return there, and the agreements are different, so I can only return to the UPS store, despite it being literally across the street from Kohl's.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

20% off coupon expired?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

That beyond section will really get you if you hang around in too long.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
[clearly, into a microphone] he'll never be head of a major corporation

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Strong Boardwalk Empire Boss energy

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Inspired by the great depression in more ways than one

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Adolf Glitter posted:

Inspired by the great depression in more ways than one

:eyepop:

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Still didn’t plunge as fast as his company’s chance of recovery

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Nobody told him the Golden Parachute was metaphorical.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

So am I crazy in thinking that there might be criminal activity that will soon be discovered? Usually these folks get a golden parachute unless they’ve committed crimes.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Solkanar512 posted:

So am I crazy in thinking that there might be criminal activity that will soon be discovered? Usually these folks get a golden parachute unless they’ve committed crimes.

Bed Bath & Beyond CFO who died after falling from NYC high rise was subject of insider trading and fraud lawsuit just before death, documents show

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

motherfucker!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Voyager I posted:

Nobody told him the Golden Parachute was metaphorical.

:drat:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Was the dude Russian by any chance? A lot of them falling out of tall places lately.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Did no one tell him that crimes don’t mean much when you are a CFO?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He could have lived the high life. These things take forever to prosecute. He could have escaped to France or some poo poo like that and be a fugitive art patron dude. So many ways out when you’re rich.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Professor Shark posted:

Only crimes that affect the poor. The rich will pay for results.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Professor Shark posted:

CFO signs Sarb-Ox filings directly, the liability is on them individually. Could definitely be a thing that mattered.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

From Bed, Bath, and Beyond to infinity

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Vegetable posted:

He could have lived the high life. These things take forever to prosecute. He could have escaped to France or some poo poo like that and be a fugitive art patron dude. So many ways out when you’re rich.

That only works if you’re a French citizen. This guy was Venezuelan. The French would have extradited him for a jaywalking indictment.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ofecks posted:

For a while and/or for some items, it was the only way to do a free return.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Vegetable posted:

He WAS living the high life... momentarily

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

He WAS living the high life... momentarily

Sounds like he made an impact inside and outside the company :dadjoke:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/bgolus/status/1567256510300037121

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If you don’t want to click through

quote:

I was talking to my Dad about flight delays and staffing issues, and my dad pointed out a problem I'd missed entirely.

There are no new pilots.
When the pandemic hit, passenger airlines in the US laid off all their pilots. If those pilots were within 5, maybe 10 years of retiring, they mostly decided to retire early.

Fast forward to now and the airlines are trying to hire back all those pilots, who are responding 🖕
So they're trying to hire new pilots instead. But there's a problem with that. There's no such thing as "new pilots" that you can just hire.
Airliner pilots come from two main career paths. One is rich kids who can afford to pay for flight training and either own or rent planes to fly, and rack up at least 1,500 hours in the air flying. That's very expensive. And that's minimum to become a copilot.
The other way is via the military. The vast majority of airline pilots in the US are ex navy or air force.

But there's the big problem. The military isn't training many aircraft pilots anymore, they're training drone pilots.
Drone pilots never leave the ground, and as such any "flight time" they might have doesn't count towards that 1500 hour requirement. Just like simulator training doesn't count.
And thus, the pool of new pilots has disappeared. This happened a while ago, but it hadn't yet become a big problem for airlines because their (aging) pilot workforces were flying for longer.

But they just laid off all those older pilots, and they aren't coming back.
To make things worse, to become the primary pilot of an airliner requires a ton of hours flying as a copilot. And the pilots that did remain are either the younger ones that still aren't full pilots and are still copilots, or are getting close to looking to retire too.
Basically, airlines are hosed in the next decade, because there won't be enough pilots left in the world unless they bite the bullet and start paying to train new pilots themselves. Something they absolutely don't want to do because it's expensive!

It’s actually pretty hilarious.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The job of pilot is weird because it is equipment you can't really easily access on your own, and the training is expensive, and the job prospects until a few years ago were scant.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The biggest local college (community college, sort of, in American terms) has an aviation bachelor’s program and I’m told it’s hard, and expensive for a public college, but those grads get snapped the gently caress up by airlines.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Rick posted:

The job of pilot is weird because it is equipment you can't really easily access on your own, and the training is expensive, and the job prospects until a few years ago were scant.

I know of some enterprising young pilots who learned mostly on flight simulators.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The airlines could definitely have their own training pipelines but lol that they would ever do that.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

The biggest local college (community college, sort of, in American terms) has an aviation bachelor’s program and I’m told it’s hard, and expensive for a public college, but those grads get snapped the gently caress up by airlines.

My university had a pretty major flight school and it was incredibly expensive. 80k for just the course fees, not including tuition for other courses you'd need to take or for operational costs associated with the planes(I couldn't find those operational costs listed anywhere, but were called out as not included in these fees). The only pilot I know came from a very rich family and the pilots I've met through that pilot were all ex military pilots.

MarcusSA posted:

The airlines could definitely have their own training pipelines but lol that they would ever do that.

Last time I flew United they were talking about their new flight school for training minority pilots or whatever, but it looked like less than 10 people lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wilderthanmild posted:

My university had a pretty major flight school and it was incredibly expensive. 80k for just the course fees, not including tuition for other courses you'd need to take or for operational costs associated with the planes

Oh, no, this is a totally different universe.

quote:

Tuition for the Honours Bachelor of Aviation Technology program is $19,965 [Canadian] plus $3,300 for books and supply costs. All fees include in-air flight training.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The airlines could try to unretire the old pilots and also poach pilots from smaller airlines elsewhere. They’ll have to pay more money but I don’t think the market is as constrained as the tweet makes it out to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
In Europe they have training schemes that get you on the right seat of a Boeing or Airbus in a couple hundred flight hours.

In the US you need 1500 hours of flight time in a small single engine Cessnas before a regional airline can even consider hiring you to fly a small jet. Then a few thousand more of those hours and you might be able to be hired to the right seat of a Boeing or Airbus for a major airline.

Vegetable posted:

The airlines could try to unretire the old pilots and also poach pilots from smaller airlines elsewhere. They’ll have to pay more money but I don’t think the market is as constrained as the tweet makes it out to be.

They're already trying to raise the mandatory retirement age a couple years but that only kicks the can down the road.

Also the majors have already been raiding the regionals. The regionals have been cutting huge numbers of flights because of it.

Zero One has a new favorite as of 02:07 on Sep 8, 2022