Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
wait why is a subscription with more steps predatory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

30.5 Days posted:

:honk:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Marshal Prolapse posted:

So anyone here playing PZomboid MP? I’m interested in playing it, but I’d prefer goons vs randos of the PZ discord.

Also anyone opposed to me starting a PZ thread? I’m fully prepared to find out there is one and I didn’t notice.

I'd love to see a PZ thread, I've thought a few times that we need one but I'm too lazy as gently caress to make it so please do that

There are a few goon servers in PGS, this is one that I've played on: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4006882
It's been running since July so as you can imagine the world is getting old in PZ terms

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

30.5 Days posted:

subscription-based games don't usually permanently remove what you paid for 13 weeks after release if you don't manage to complete all of it within that time limit

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I decided to try out Craftopia on Game Pass. What an odd game. It's like Breath of the Wild mashed up with a few other genres including building. The first 4 hours seem pretty chill, but it's really janky and the combat AI sucks. They also made a really weird decision where you can progress through the stone/copper/iron phase up to silver in about 30 minutes.

Anyways, it turns out they're getting dropped from Game Pass in about two weeks. I guess I'll stop playing and wait for it to come out of early access before I spend money on it.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

QuarkJets posted:

I'd love to see a PZ thread, I've thought a few times that we need one but I'm too lazy as gently caress to make it so please do that

There are a few goon servers in PGS, this is one that I've played on: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4006882
It's been running since July so as you can imagine the world is getting old in PZ terms

Thanks! I didn’t know about the PGS thread.

Here is the PZ thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4011483

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 4, 2022

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

QuarkJets posted:

Is the server still active? I haven’t been able to get online in a few weeks (updated mods) and I thought it was still on .71.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

duffmensch posted:

Is the server still active? I haven’t been able to get online in a few weeks (updated mods) and I thought it was still on .71.

Oh maybe it's not, I haven't tried playing in a few weeks lol

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Vintage Story 1.17 trip report: it's good. Nerd poling still seems to work quite well against everything. Even on aggressive, wolves seem to be keeping their distance which is nice.

Just unlocked smithing at the anvil and I didn't think I'd enjoy this minigame as much as I do, it's really neat bashing something into shape with a hammer!

e: current groverhaus made out of literal mud and grass

piano chimp fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 4, 2022

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Is there a survival crafting game where you can build a city and defenses and have NPCs living in it?

Like Fallout 4's settlement system, only with more of a survival crafting focus.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

khy posted:

Is there a survival crafting game where you can build a city and defenses and have NPCs living in it?

Like Fallout 4's settlement system, only with more of a survival crafting focus.

Kenshi or Mount and Blade perhaps, but I’ve never played those beyond a few minutes over the years.

Rimworld definitely though, but that’s more a colony.

Eventually PZ will have some mod for that once the NPC code is improved.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

khy posted:

A couple thoughts:

-Rinworld. I’m sure you know of and have played it, but if not, is definitively in the vein
- Hinterlands. Older game, but your craftsmen are also your warriors. It’s not awesome, but definitely scratches some of that itch
-the last spell. Wave base roguelike. It’s a little further afield than you’re talking about though
-state of decay: use your survivors to gather resources, build necessary infrastructure, and adventure or defend your base

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What about Medieval Dynasty?

It should be still free on Gamepass as well.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Kenshi wouldn't have NPCs, your towns are all your people barring hiring mercenaries to defend

But grab the 256 squad member mod and something that adds more recruits and a vast horde of your own people might as well be NPCs

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

khy posted:

Terraria and Starbound both let you populate your structures with NPCs, but any defense elements you might want to add to your build would be purely cosmetic. Also they're 2d.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Planet Explorers has lots of NPCs you can set up a colony with, giving them jobs and homes and stuff. And more importantly lets you use a rudimentary CAD interface to make most anything in the game. The game does have some issues but it's not bad, most of the negative reviews are because the devs closed MP servers and gave it away for free.

It's free on Steam, made by the same Chinese studio as Portia/Sandrock. https://store.steampowered.com/app/237870/Planet_Explorers/

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

khy posted:

surprisingly, Conan Exlies does this! Just, you have to recruit new citizens by uh, beating the poo poo out of them and dragging them home by their feet and breaking their will on the Wheel of Pain

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
It sounds like Conan Exiles patched today and fixed the disappearing asset issue.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So what is the point of going down in caves in Vintage story? There's little to no ore from what I can see and that seems like the main reason for going down there.

I'm having a blast with the game though. Just entered the copper age. Though I am worried about the smithing mini game. Seems kind of fiddly.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

surprisingly, Conan Exlies does this! Just, you have to recruit new citizens by uh, beating the poo poo out of them and dragging them home by their feet and breaking their will on the Wheel of Pain

Its a little iffy if you think about it, but hey it fits the theme, right?

Plus I had a whole legion of archers guarding my walls, that was rad.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
If you don't rename all your wheels of pain to 'wheel of friendship' your doing it wrong.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Travic posted:

So what is the point of going down in caves in Vintage story? There's little to no ore from what I can see and that seems like the main reason for going down there.

I'm having a blast with the game though. Just entered the copper age. Though I am worried about the smithing mini game. Seems kind of fiddly.

Currently the caves aren't really worth the risk and cost, since you need good armor to have a chance at surviving the enemies you find further down, while at the same time their attacks will rip your protection to shreds relatively quickly so they become a huge sink in your metal reserves. The new update adds relatively cheap armor repair, so that's a small improvement. Overall what you're looking for in caves isn't ores (though you can find some), it's rare loot in crypts and ruins and poo poo, and, more importantly, teleporters, which are nice to have in solo play but are essential in multiplayer. The upcoming update is expected to increase the rare loot you can find (the current update added the some of these items, but only in creative)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arrath posted:

Its a little iffy if you think about it, but hey it fits the theme, right?

what's iffy about filling your base with naked dancing slavegirls?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

khy posted:

Another 2D, also still in development, but the description of, "Rimworld and Starbound, but run and gun" makes me excited for Outworlder Farworld Pioneers https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912700&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post502032392

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

SexyBlindfold posted:

Currently the caves aren't really worth the risk and cost, since you need good armor to have a chance at surviving the enemies you find further down, while at the same time their attacks will rip your protection to shreds relatively quickly so they become a huge sink in your metal reserves. The new update adds relatively cheap armor repair, so that's a small improvement. Overall what you're looking for in caves isn't ores (though you can find some), it's rare loot in crypts and ruins and poo poo, and, more importantly, teleporters, which are nice to have in solo play but are essential in multiplayer. The upcoming update is expected to increase the rare loot you can find (the current update added the some of these items, but only in creative)

Ah ok. That makes sense.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Private Speech posted:

Planet Explorers has lots of NPCs you can set up a colony with, giving them jobs and homes and stuff. And more importantly lets you use a rudimentary CAD interface to make most anything in the game. The game does have some issues but it's not bad, most of the negative reviews are because the devs closed MP servers and gave it away for free.

It's free on Steam, made by the same Chinese studio as Portia/Sandrock. https://store.steampowered.com/app/237870/Planet_Explorers/

This was actually a decent little game and had a lot of potential.
It just feels empty and wide open because of the non existent MP.
And a lovely story of why it died.
Basically someone deleted all of their code and the (now defunct) software they used to do it.
No backups, just all of it gone.
Their only option was to start all over again and they didnt have the resources, so just said gently caress it, now its free.

https://mspoweruser.com/devs-make-planet-explorers-free-after-accidentally-deleting-all-multiplayer-code/

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Does anyone have any advice for prospecting for ore in Vintage Story? I have the ProspectorInfo mod and node search enabled and it still took me a whole copper pick to find a copper deposit in an Ultra High area.

I gather ores spawn in discs and that they tend to spawn at certain heights above/below sea level but the wiki is a tad confusing and the in-game help doesn't really list any techniques.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Phone posting in bed so someone might be able to pick up the slack:

If I’m in an area that the propick tells me is good, I just make a 1x1 nerd pole down in the center of the chunk. Then, about every 8 vertical blocks, I use the propick’s Node function to see if there’s any ore within the immediate vicinity.

Depending on settings, the node function scans for ore in a 8x8 block radius and tells you if anything is there or not. This can be adjusted in server settings but I believe this is the default.

Then I just keep moving down the nerd pole and doing Node checks every 8 blocks, rinse repeat. Once the node check does finds something, I start mining in that little area, keeping the ladder pillar intact.

It feels a little cheesy but caving is so high risk low reward that I don’t care much about fairness.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
You probably already know this, but do keep in mind that for copper (and lead, I think) you're much better off looking for surface deposits first, at least until you exhaust the ones within a walking distance of your base. If there's a copper nugget on the ground, it means there's a deposit directly below it (usually 2-4 blocks straight down, past the first layer of rock). Surface deposits spawn on world creation independently of a chunk's ore chances, so they're not counted towards the prospector pick's chunk numbers, though node mode will still count them (not that you'd need node mode to find them, since that's what the surface nuggets are for). That's why it's always good to mark your map when you find nuggets! Some auto-marker mods are pretty useful for this.

The chunk numbers basically tell you the dice roll that the chunk made on world creation in order to spawn a certain kind of ore or not - so there's a chance that even high-chance chunks have nothing, and poor chunks have something, but it's good enough for guessing where to try for shafts. The scores of each chunk aren't independent from each other, either (mineral chances tend to be distributed along chunks in a kind of heatmap fashion), so if your exploration shaft is a dud you can try the next chunk over (or uhhh 16 blocks away in any direction within the same chunk, I guess).

All in all, prospecting is a pain, but usually the rarer the mineral, the larger the deposit, so a couple of good finds should have you set for a long time.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Having a lot of fun with Conan Exiles! It runs really great up until it crashes, which it does pretty frequently!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

SexyBlindfold posted:

You probably already know this, but do keep in mind that for copper (and lead, I think) you're much better off looking for surface deposits first, at least until you exhaust the ones within a walking distance of your base. If there's a copper nugget on the ground, it means there's a deposit directly below it (usually 2-4 blocks straight down, past the first layer of rock). Surface deposits spawn on world creation independently of a chunk's ore chances, so they're not counted towards the prospector pick's chunk numbers, though node mode will still count them (not that you'd need node mode to find them, since that's what the surface nuggets are for). That's why it's always good to mark your map when you find nuggets! Some auto-marker mods are pretty useful for this.

Well gently caress me, I started playing today and found four places with copper bits laying around, and just picked them up. Now I found out that I boned myself.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Canuckistan posted:

Well gently caress me, I started playing today and found four places with copper bits laying around, and just picked them up. Now I found out that I boned myself.

There's a mod you can get, that I recommend but am too lazy to grab a link to, that will auto-create a map marker when you pick up an ore nugget or talk to a trader or mine some clay and othersuch things.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's a piece of advice that's great for everyone new to the game but can be devastating if they don't know and just grab everything without marking it

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Canuckistan posted:

Well, you do need around 40 copper bits before you can start properly mining as opposed to just collecting nuggets from the ground or from panning soil (since you first need enough metal to craft a pickaxe and a hammer), so it's not a huge loss. And 4 isn't that many, in a radius of, like, one day's worth of walking you should be able to find several dozens of surface deposits. I've found they're easier to find in sandy areas, though more because there's less poo poo blocking your view than because of actually having higher chance of occurrence.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

khy posted:

Necesse, sort of like Terraria but top down and the villagers actually do work for you like in rimworld.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

khy posted:

I think that maybe "Siege Survival Gloria Victis" https://store.steampowered.com/app/1167140/Siege_Survival_Gloria_Victis/ ticks some of those boxes, but while I've played it for a few minutes I didn't get into it enough to say anything about how good the gameplay is.

(Vintage Story)

SexyBlindfold posted:

Well, you do need around 40 copper bits before you can start properly mining as opposed to just collecting nuggets from the ground or from panning soil (since you first need enough metal to craft a pickaxe and a hammer), so it's not a huge loss. And 4 isn't that many, in a radius of, like, one day's worth of walking you should be able to find several dozens of surface deposits. I've found they're easier to find in sandy areas, though more because there's less poo poo blocking your view than because of actually having higher chance of occurrence.

Depending on your world-gen settings you can maybe find plenty of surface ore to keep you going a while. I also tend to first make a pro-pick so I can start scouting for bigger deposits before making a normal pick (for actually mining the deposits) or a hammer (for breaking open the copper chunks you mine, into nuggets you can smelt), but I usually play with ~140%+ ore gen settings.

My last few runs I did just for fun, playing with different world-gen settings, since I wanted to see if I could run south far enough to hit a warmer climate. I am still not sure how all the settings relate - I mean it sounds like the setting for "distance from pole to equator" should somehow relate to "world height" (presumably being half the height) but this isn't the case and there are local minima/maxima in temperature somehow, though still going south = warmer. Either way, depending on your settings for enemy spawn, you can probably just pick a direction and run that way for a few days to find a nice spot before settling, and on the way you'll stumble upon a lot of ores (probably). I ran south for two days on a smaller world and got to a boundary between what I guess was a more tropical area and the starting chilly climate, started a base in some plains with hyenas nearby and I can go not too far to get to some desert (with gazelles) and some tropical forest (with boars), so it seems decent. On my trip over I ran into a bunch of Lead (loose and deposits) and also saw a few spots with exposed copper to mine on the surface, so worst case I will back-track a bit to collect things.

As for mods, I'll second some of the QoL ones listed but I'll mention a few additional ones that are maybe less neccessary but just nice to have
QoL:
- Auto Map Markers to automatically mark the map with stuff you interact with (resin, ores, fruits.)
- Prospector Info to store your prospector pick info
- StepUp so you don't have to constantly be jumping to go up a hill

Nice to have in my opinion:
- Burn for Longer so firewood, charcoal lasts longer in the fireplace
- More Molds so I don't need to hammer out metal plates and such, also helps to speed up the start since you can cast hand-saws to get planks going before you have a saw
- Relight Torches
- SticksFromFirewood (or one of the variations) for convenience
- OneShot Propick

And these are just optional but I think still good:
- From Golden Combs bee revamp
- AnvilMetalRecovery but I haven't actually tested it out yet
- Bullseye to redo bow-and-arrow aiming and spear chucking
- HideAndFabric for extra cloth options, though I also haven't really made much use of this
- Meteoric Expansion since it's pretty cool
- Smeltable Ingots so you can re-melt ingots

Finally I have a few decorative ones that are more about personal taste I guess:
- Just Light Jars for more lighting options
- NightWatcher so prevent drifter spawns in a big radius, but it's a bit late-game and I've never actually made one yet.
- Primitive Survival for some extra options
- Roadworks to make roads, but again I haven't made this yet
- Rust and Rails but too late-game for me so far
- Sleeves Decor
- ViesCraft Machines, haven't built any of them yet but faster travel sounds great
- Zeekea for more decor

That's what I'm running at the moment.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Cheers for the prospecting advice all.

Regarding biome distribution: I currently have this set to Patchy as I read that it makes finding certain resources easier. I'm now wondering if this is going to remove some of the threat of temperatures in winter as I can just hop over to a warmer biome without much trouble. Would a world with a Realistic distribution be a better VS experience?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Is the surface ore thing true for meteoric iron? Because if so, god drat it.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

piano chimp posted:

Cheers for the prospecting advice all.

Regarding biome distribution: I currently have this set to Patchy as I read that it makes finding certain resources easier. I'm now wondering if this is going to remove some of the threat of temperatures in winter as I can just hop over to a warmer biome without much trouble. Would a world with a Realistic distribution be a better VS experience?

I do think it is a lot more fun having to deal with the seasons instead of being able to grow stuff all year. As a compromise, you can turn down the Polar-Equator Distance in worldgen so that a trip to the warmer regions won't take you a stupidly long time (or several translocators).

Arven posted:

Is the surface ore thing true for meteoric iron? Because if so, god drat it.

Yep :( I swear that something like Auto Map Markers needs to be in the base game because EVERYONE, myself included, neglects to mark surface deposits on their first playthrough. The game does a poo poo job of telling you how important this is.

If you can remember the rough area, go back and look for depressions in the ground that kinda look like craters. If there are suevite stones on the surface that will make it easier. Dig down a few layers in the suspicious craters and look for more suevite and/or the meteoric iron.

As a last resort, install Meteoric Expansion and set Destructive to True. A meteor will eventually crash into the ground and make a new crater with meteoric iron. Hopefully not on top of your house :v:

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Godlessdonut posted:

I do think it is a lot more fun having to deal with the seasons instead of being able to grow stuff all year. As a compromise, you can turn down the Polar-Equator Distance in worldgen so that a trip to the warmer regions won't take you a stupidly long time (or several translocators).

Yep :( I swear that something like Auto Map Markers needs to be in the base game because EVERYONE, myself included, neglects to mark surface deposits on their first playthrough. The game does a poo poo job of telling you how important this is.

If you can remember the rough area, go back and look for depressions in the ground that kinda look like craters. If there are suevite stones on the surface that will make it easier. Dig down a few layers in the suspicious craters and look for more suevite and/or the meteoric iron.

As a last resort, install Meteoric Expansion and set Destructive to True. A meteor will eventually crash into the ground and make a new crater with meteoric iron. Hopefully not on top of your house :v:

Thanks, just created a third new world with realistic climate distribution and turned the Polar-Equator Distance down to 25k which seems decent.

By the way, the Auto Map Markers mod is disabled by default. I wondered why mine wasn't working - hadn't read the description!