Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Here's a (relatively) unpopular opinion: I really like what they were setting up in Season 8, and I like the back half of that season more than any protracted stretch of episodes since the fourth season.

I also wish they'd done more with the demon lore they started playing around with, that was attached to Reyes' character. But alas.

Season 9 seriously sucks so hard though. I've no idea what anyone was smoking, just terrible script after terrible script. The best one is the Chris Carter script about Burt Reynolds. That's genuinely pretty great. But most of the rest?

I mean, how does an episode waste Jane Lynch AND Aaron Paul? Come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Isn't there an episode in season 9 about the Brady Bunch house with Ben from Lost? That was alright.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Octy posted:

Isn't there an episode in season 9 about the Brady Bunch house with Ben from Lost? That was alright.

Vince Giligan's final episode. His other episode that season isn't bad either.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
God there is something with me because I really loved season 9 at the time.

I am worried on a rewatch it won't be the same.

commielingus
Jan 23, 2021

by Athanatos
Just finished this entire series, and I genuinely love seasons 1-9, the first movie, and even the second movie. The dark moody atmosphere is amazing, and the melodic piano music really gives it a unique feel. The Syndicate’s origins in Operation Paperclip was a pleasant surprise, and the Manicured Man was just as good as the Smoking Man.

Whatever happened to the alien that was with the little boy in the season 6 pilot? The one that was last seen itself in the hot water tank? I might have missed it.

Seasons 10-11 are total loving garbage, though. I almost could not believe my eyes when they had the blatantly obvious Alex Jones knock off as a sympathetic character (and Mulder becoming buddies with him). Bringing the Smoking Man back from his clear demise in S9 was so forced, and what they did to Monica Reyes is unforgivable. They literally had her become a confused villain for like 2 scenes before getting shot in the head. How the hell did Annabeth Gish even sign up for this after reading her character in the script lol. Oh, and they retconned the Smoking Man as the father of Scully’s child. The whole alien pandemic plot is hilarious given COVID happening right now. They should have made a new series instead with Doggett and Reyes as the two leads, with Scully as the new assistant director or something.

There’s still a lot to digest, but I recommend seasons 1-9 for anyone new to the series.

commielingus fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 12, 2021

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Much as I really dislike the revival on whole, it still gave us three all-timers (the two Darin Morgans and the AI sushi bar) so I can't say I wish it had never been made. Just maybe I wish it had been made without Carter's involvement.

commielingus
Jan 23, 2021

by Athanatos
The Trashman episode, AI Sushi Bar, and “Familiar” were the only episodes I enjoyed in the two new seasons. At least half the episodes of the weaker seasons in the original run were good.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Here's a (relatively) unpopular opinion: I really like what they were setting up in Season 8, and I like the back half of that season more than any protracted stretch of episodes since the fourth season.

I also wish they'd done more with the demon lore they started playing around with, that was attached to Reyes' character. But alas.

Season 9 seriously sucks so hard though. I've no idea what anyone was smoking, just terrible script after terrible script. The best one is the Chris Carter script about Burt Reynolds. That's genuinely pretty great. But most of the rest?

I mean, how does an episode waste Jane Lynch AND Aaron Paul? Come on.

Season 9 is another one that got derailed by extra series stuff. Lucy Lawless, who played the main super soldier early on, was pregnant, and her pregnancy turned out to be high risk so she couldn't come back to shoot more episodes and they had to change the story around a little bit.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I had completely forgotten that Lucy Lawless.was even in The X Files, which shows how much of an impression that season left on me.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cary Elwes had a recurring role that season, too!

Fausty
May 16, 2014

"Flowers!"
"Is there a
John Luck Pickerd
here?"

I think over the last year and a half, I've fully rewatched the entire series about five times and restarted it about ten times. It's a lovely comfort show.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's summer, so it means it's time for the annual thawing of the ice worms:

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/13/1011376403/its-summer-and-that-means-the-mysterious-return-of-glacier-ice-worms

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I rewatched a few episodes on Blu-ray for the first time. The upgrade in picture quality is impressive (though I did notice the odd shot which looked to be upscaled SD; some episodes of Star Trek TNG had a similar issue where they couldn't find the original negatives for particular shots and had to make do with the NTSC masters) and the change in aspect ratio seems to have been handled well. I didn't feel at any point that things had been cropped too closely or the framing was off.

But! I used to be a graphic designer, and I had an almost visceral sperg-response to seeing that they'd changed the title font (the new one is wider), and altered the horizontal scaling and leading of the opening credits. It's a tiny thing that 99% of people wouldn't even notice, but was like nails on a chalkboard to me. Must... not... let it... ruin... enjoyment of episodes...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Now Mulder eats sunflower seeds at 1.25 speed

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Definitely need to get the blu-ray of whichever season was red speedo Mulder.

night slime
May 14, 2014

quote:

"They're very obvious once you notice them, but it's so beyond your expectation, when you're in a glacier environment, that there will be worms," Hotaling says.

His colleague Peter Wimberger of the University of Puget Sound says that he got interested in the worms years ago when a student said he wanted to study them. Wimberger thought the guy was pulling his leg and that it was some kind of prank. "He realized I didn't believe him," Wimberger says, "and all of a sudden he pulled out this little, small stack of papers and he said, 'drat it, they're real!' "

Mulder origins...

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Watched some more Blu-Rays, and God drat is this the worst UI on a disc I've ever seen. Black menu text, with the highlight colour a very, very, very dark grey that could easily be mistaken for black. Then when you finally get to the episode select, what you think would be the highlighted item that starts playing the episode actually takes you to Play All, so you always get the first episode on the disc. Try to cursor-down to reach the Play Episode below Play All? Takes you back to the main menu bar.

Maybe it's because I'm using a PS4, I dunno. But after literally five minutes of piss-arsing around and starting 'Soft Light' over and over, the only way I managed to reach 'Our Town' was by chapter-skipping through 'Soft Light' to force it to advance to the next episode. Absolutely horrible navigation system. Who the gently caress designed this - the Syndicate, trying to make sure the truth stayed in there?

Edit: watched some episodes from later seasons (10 and 11), and the menus were the same design but actually navigable. Don't know if it's season 2 in particular that's all but unusable or the early seasons in general - still, gives me an excuse to watch them again!

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 22, 2021

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Fausty posted:

I think over the last year and a half, I've fully rewatched the entire series about five times and restarted it about ten times. It's a lovely comfort show.

I watched the series in full last year, and I’m thinking about watching it again. It’s such a nostalgia trip for me. I miss the 90s. :smith:

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Hello thread. I made a lifelong dream come true and made Mulder laugh over the weekend.

I need better lighting I know.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Did you mock his wood paneling

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

No because the decor in my basement isn't any better. Of course I didn't notice the crooked music poster in the background until it was too late.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Just up to paper hearts.

What a brutal episode my god.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I told myself I was going to finally catch up after I did a full rewatch, and I'm pretty sure I stopped at the same point of boredom in season 9 that I did back in 2002. (I did eventually watch it the following year)

That was five years ago, I just finished season 9 and the second movie and am halfway into s10.

I still feel the same way I did when it was airing. No one wanted to continue this show after season five, and it really shows. At some point as a viewer, I went from being excited about the arcing lore episodes to dreading them and hoping for monster of the week.

I doubt the rest of s10 and 11 are any better, but man, I really did love this show like most of you up until s6+...

There's no less then three recaps of what the myth arc is in the series finale and even the recap expositions have an air of "what are we even doing"...

I really wish I didn't feel the need to finish this whole thing

e: also, i know i'm 6 years late on 10x01 but there's something especially stupid about watching CSM devolve into a skull amid flames in the end of s9 and pop up with some burn scars and that dumb phantom of the opera thing in s10..he's not that great of a character honestly, you could have..idk not done this

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 4, 2022

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s a symptom of Chris Carter not being able to move forward. That was like the third time the smoking man dies on screen and yet he still comes back.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
When I do a rewatch I usually stop midway through season 6 when the Syndicate gets killed. That feels like the end of the story for me, as the Mytharc after that rapidly devolves into trash.

There are still good motw episodes after that though

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Seasons 6-9 aren’t as good as 1-5 but they’re definitely watchable and entertaining. I liked Robert Patrick too

Just completely skip everything after season 9 though

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

MLSM posted:

Just completely skip everything after season 9 though

The two Darin Morgan episodes in S10&11 are worth watching imo

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

The S10 and 11 Darin Morgan episodes are all timers.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The robots episode in season 11 is pretty good too.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I think the revival seasons are mostly good if you skip all the episodes chris carter wrote (which I think are just the first and last of each season)

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

TIP posted:

I think the revival seasons are mostly good if you skip all the episodes chris carter wrote (which I think are just the first and last of each season)

Correct answer

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
yeah, that was roughhh.

chris carter is a hack

all the episodes i have any fondness for across 1-9 have nothing to do with him

there's no way people liked the 2016 and 2018 seasons right? i can't imagine the reviews were kind at the time. let's hope this was it..

rip one of the genre-defining heavies of the 90s...plus we got breaking bad/better call saul out of it, which tonally is the real successor so whatever, worth it.

also i'm taking the line "like the xmen?" in response to williams "i have powers" thing in s11 to mean that all of the x-files takes place in the same universe as the fox x-men franchise :catbert:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I think it's less they liked the seasons and more they liked some of the episodes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

yeah, that was roughhh.

chris carter is a hack

all the episodes i have any fondness for across 1-9 have nothing to do with him

there's no way people liked the 2016 and 2018 seasons right? i can't imagine the reviews were kind at the time. let's hope this was it..

rip one of the genre-defining heavies of the 90s...plus we got breaking bad/better call saul out of it, which tonally is the real successor so whatever, worth it.

also i'm taking the line "like the xmen?" in response to williams "i have powers" thing in s11 to mean that all of the x-files takes place in the same universe as the fox x-men franchise :catbert:

The actors hated it so much they said publicly that they’d never do another season.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Chris Carter's style has always been ridiculously over the top but it worked through the first 6 seasons well enough. I don't know if he had someone reining him in or if he just ran out of ideas after that but the Mythology went from being genuinely good early on to truly ooof in later seasons.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Carter was a showrunner in the Roddenberry sense, acting as a face for the series and getting credit for the work of a talented and highly creative team. But the thing about a talented team is that they only want to play second fiddle for so long before going off to do their own things. X-Files was such a goddamn Ship of Theseus on both sides of the camera it became less and less like itself the longer it went on, but didn't have a cohesive vision of what it wanted to be, except "more X-Files."

I'll be enough of a grognard to say that, for me, the show never really recovered from losing Wong and Morgan, even if their season of Millennium is one of my favorite runs of TV ever. In retrospect, it was already treading water by the time of the movie, but it became really obvious afterwards, with the move to LA and Wacky Guest Star/Writer of the Week. Having said that, the standalone episodes at least has the potential to be something different and interesting, as has been pointed out.

X-Files always worked best as a variant on the anthology show format, when even the "arc" episodes were doing their own things. They set a standard in the early days of leaving open questions they figured they'd never have to answer, and should have ended on one of those. "I'm saying we all are [part alien]" at the end of Season 5 would have been as good as any.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
The anthology thing is such a no-brainer, you have two leads that enjoy being around each other and it reads. Even the worst eps were still watchable if they were interacting. You literally don't need any framework to have them just investigate cases, I'm still astounded they managed to gently caress this thing up so hard as it went along.

I gotta shoutout Robert Patrick for being like "nah son" on s10/11...great call t1000, you dodged a bullet

GA in a april 2022 interview (https://variety.com/2022/tv/features/gillian-anderson-x-files-return-new-writers-1235218174/)-

quote:

“It just feels like such an old idea. I’ve done it, I did it for so many years, and it also ended on such an unfortunate note,” she says, referring to Scully’s pregnancy reveal. “In order to even begin to have that conversation [about another season] there would need to be a whole new set of writers and the baton would need to be handed on for it to feel like it was new and progressive. So yeah, it’s very much in the past.”

yeah, gently caress off CC

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 5, 2022

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

After The War posted:

Carter was a showrunner in the Roddenberry sense, acting as a face for the series and getting credit for the work of a talented and highly creative team. But the thing about a talented team is that they only want to play second fiddle for so long before going off to do their own things. X-Files was such a goddamn Ship of Theseus on both sides of the camera it became less and less like itself the longer it went on, but didn't have a cohesive vision of what it wanted to be, except "more X-Files."

Seasons 1 to 3 , despite a few duds, are perfect TV but they stretched the show in so many directions so early and so well, it became really hard to renew it in later seasons--they had to go even with even wilder episodes to refresh it (something Vince Gilligan did very well in stuff like Bad Blood or X-Cops).

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I used to watch this show when I was a teenager. Stopped watching towards the later seasons.

I am now re-watching the widescreen HD version. I'm on episode three. There is some 100+ year old killer, and Fox just said "he's not going to kill again until 2023"!!!

Stay safe out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's okay, he only preys on underaged girls. SA is safe.