Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

xb3 opening: cool sci fi fantasy setting, cool characters, all the main guys rule and u get them straight away

xb2 opening: cool giant animal thing, now listen to 400 nopons scream at you and one of them has a weird robot maid thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Stux posted:

its the writing and characters

Same quality imo

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

XBC3 is very well paced in terms of gameplay, plot beats, dialog, etc. Even the release schedule got it right.

XBC2 trips over itself to hide the mechanics and cool things as long as possible. I still like it but it has rough edges.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Oscar Wild posted:

loving release advance wars you assholes

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Nintendo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
people go on about the gacha rare blades and four-stars but i think the most fiendish of all might be poppibuster's unlock quest. i've burned way more common cores than rares or legendaries, and i got exactly one brute-type megalance blade

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

What's weird is Arceus for all the bad textures has one of the best skyboxes of all time

What’s a skybox?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like gacha and I like it even more if I don't run the risk of actually spending money lol. i also like Anime so hell it's time to play xbc2 already

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What’s a skybox?
The box where the sky is.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What’s a skybox?

The sky in most video games is a cube or sphere with a texture on it, so it's called a skybox. Different games do it differently, Ocarina of Time for example has a very small skybox just around the game camera, but is rendered behind every other layer.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The sky in most video games is a cube or sphere with a texture on it, so it's called a skybox. Different games do it differently, Ocarina of Time for example has a very small skybox just around the game camera, but is rendered behind every other layer.

Interesting. I guess that makes sense, I don't know why I expected it to be constantly persistent.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

:staredog: hosed up imo

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

at the end of XBC2 chapter 6 and I’ve officially hit my limit with the cutscene boss no-sell crap

thankfully this is feeling like the end of it

e: laffin at the start of chapter 7 where poppi rears back like she’s about to punch Rex and everyone freaks out because it’d probably decapitate him

Ahahaha, I'm still in chapter 5 and I thought that bullshit was finally behind me. The devs really despise the player, aren't they? :allears:

If you can though, run through Electra's quest. It's quite shocking. Little stuff like this makes me forgive the never-ending B-movie that is the main plot.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Libluini posted:

Ahahaha, I'm still in chapter 5 and I thought that bullshit was finally behind me. The devs really despise the player, aren't they? :allears:

i'd chalk it up to clumsy writing more than anything, because it's usually done to force dramatic situations

the real problem is that, and this shouldn't be much of a spoiler, the worst culprit of this cliche is Jin, a cardboard edgelord who isn't even fun to hate

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

There won't be a "Halo 2 Flu" this year. It'll be more like a Splatosis.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I need to spat.

I need to splat right now.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Libluini posted:

If you can though, run through Electra's quest. It's quite shocking. Little stuff like this makes me forgive the never-ending B-movie that is the main plot.

XB2 has a very strange side quest structure. They're constantly hiding them on you behind development levels, unmarked triggers, or esoteric blade quest requirements. But they all rule, especially blade quests which are often unique, very surprising, and have full party voice acting

best yet, almost every blade quest explores the themes of the game, but in more succinct way. Ves' story in particular (whiich tbf, a lot harder to miss than most) is a theme XB2 spends 60 hours exploring, but told in the span of a couple short and very easy to understand cutscenes

I'm not sure I buy that whole "XB2 was rushed and unfinished" thing, especially given that its main problems are things ever single Xeno game has also suffered from. But there's no way the devs wanted all that (expensive to create) content to be missed by 90%+ of players

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
xb2 feels rushed, but in the sense that it badly needed a few more quality-of-life passes rather than having huge and obvious holes like xbx

there's too much inventory fiddling, field skills are awful, the process for obtaining and leveling blades is often incredibly tedious because many of their quests are hidden behind high trust gates and their node unlock requirements can't be tracked. the expansion pass alleviates this somewhat with the legendary cores and love sources, but it's still just a bandaid when all is said and done

and way moreso than xb1 there's the expectation that you'll be going into NG+ for all of its exclusive content, which is just an insane ask for a game this long

e: and the sidequests' habit of dropping one more objective on you after you complete the previous objective is maddening. you ask for twelve bear rear end. i have twelve bear rear end. this should conclude the transaction

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 4, 2022

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
to be fair, sometimes it sucks, but sometimes you're suddenly in a murder mystery after playing FedEx

and then the murder mystery turns out to be gated behind blade skills, sometimes this game gives you whiplash with how fast it goes from bad to awesome and back to bad, ha ha :allears:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

xenoblade 2 has its problems but I actually finished it, unlike 1

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Oxxidation posted:

i'd chalk it up to clumsy writing more than anything, because it's usually done to force dramatic situations

the real problem is that, and this shouldn't be much of a spoiler, the worst culprit of this cliche is Jin, a cardboard edgelord who isn't even fun to hate

I agree 100%. Malos is great and chews up scenery and it's fun to beat his face in. Jin is just whiny.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
A lot of its UX problems came from the fact that a bunch of Monolith's staff was busy working on Breath of the Wild at the time, so what was left resulted in some very unpolished UI and lack of QOL in some places. Some got patched in later, but it was way worse at launch.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

WarpDogs posted:

XB2 has a very strange side quest structure. They're constantly hiding them on you behind development levels, unmarked triggers, or esoteric blade quest requirements. But they all rule, especially blade quests which are often unique, very surprising, and have full party voice acting

best yet, almost every blade quest explores the themes of the game, but in more succinct way. Ves' story in particular (whiich tbf, a lot harder to miss than most) is a theme XB2 spends 60 hours exploring, but told in the span of a couple short and very easy to understand cutscenes

I'm not sure I buy that whole "XB2 was rushed and unfinished" thing, especially given that its main problems are things ever single Xeno game has also suffered from. But there's no way the devs wanted all that (expensive to create) content to be missed by 90%+ of players

If nothing else the fact that they had some pretty substantial qualify of life changes some time after release says that they might have preferred a few more months in the oven.

Like I remember the map having a bunch of issues at launch that they thankfully improved on after awhile.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hatty posted:

Don’t understand how you can like XB3 but hate XB2 so much, they’re pretty much the same quality

the main difference is that XB2 takes like 4 out of 10 chapters for the story to pick up (also it has field skills which are awful design)

most people who hate 2 understandably never got past the early chapters (the Dunkey video people love to spam doesn’t go past them either) so they see xb3 as a return to XB1 when really it’s more like a refinement of 2

Augus fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 5, 2022

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Nintendo should include my favourite ever Nintendo game super Mario land 3: wario land on the switch

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Nintendo should include my favourite ever Nintendo game super Mario land 3: wario land on the switch

they should do the gba wario game too.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Wario Land 4 is insanely good and everyone should play it. One of the best 2D platformers out there

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stux posted:

its the writing and characters

Outside of Shulk himself, XB1’s characters were pretty weak tbqh. Xenoblade 2’s party feels like much more of a cohesive unit than 1’s which mostly just faded into the background. Reyn has like nothing going on past the intro besides the dull replacement boyfriend drama with Sharla.Tora’s bad but he vanishes from the story midway through the game and just becomes the little gremlin who happens to be there while Poppi does cool stuff. The Architect is a billion times more interesting than Zanza.

the localization is pretty trash compared to 1 and 3’s tho. it’s impossible not to notice that the actors were just in a booth on their own reading through a list of lines with no context whatsoever. Malos does manages to squeeze in some good delivery at least

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

Wario Land 4 is insanely good and everyone should play it. One of the best 2D platformers out there

:hai:

Augus fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 5, 2022

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I would go so far as to suggest they do a remake of that particular game. Just a lil' spruce of sprite and a splash of saturation.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

A lot of what's wrong with XBC2 is subjective. I actively hated Tora, and was pretty negative on Rex/Pyra/Mythra's whole deal, which felt like pretty treacly melodrama at best and weird wish fulfillment garbage at worst. That's like half the main cast and the main thrust of the plot.

Augus posted:

Outside of Shulk himself, XB1’s characters were pretty weak tbqh. Xenoblade 2’s party feels like much more of a cohesive unit than 1’s which mostly just faded into the background. Reyn has like nothing going on past the intro besides the dull replacement boyfriend drama with Sharla.Tora’s bad but he vanishes from the story midway through the game and just becomes the little gremlin who happens to be there while Poppi does cool stuff. The Architect is a billion times more interesting than Zanza.

the localization is pretty trash compared to 1 and 3’s tho. it’s impossible not to notice that the actors were just in a booth on their own reading through a list of lines with no context whatsoever. Malos does manages to squeeze in some good delivery at least

:hai:

The Architect is an offscreen passive presence for 99% of the game whereas Zanza is a pretty active antagonist and technically is manipulating Shulk for the first 2/3 of the game

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 5, 2022

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i only played 2 and 3. 3 has made me more interested in playing 1, but the openeing to 2 is extremely dire in the writing and character dept to me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i was never onboard with the zanza hate either. the guy's flat but he's also reprehensible enough to make his defeat tremendously satisfying, which is more than you can expect from a lot of villains

the torna brigade is also decent but jin drags down the curve for everyone else

e: xb1's villains are pretty fun in general in that most of them are so odiously, hammily evil that it leaves the party furious or incredulous at how evil they are. mumkhar and dickson both come to mind

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 5, 2022

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Got tbh if u dont love xord and metal face you are a complete weirdo

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

all caps when you spell the mans name

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
https://mobile.twitter.com/avovet3d/status/1565901130474741760

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Switch is pretty good when you’re having the third power outage in the same day

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Within like a month or two of getting my switch we had a power outage in the middle of a boss fight, I just hit pause, plucked it from the dock, stood it up on my coffee table, and resumed fighting, thinking “man, this fuckin’ owns” the whole time

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Jin is a wet blanket, but I think that works when he has to star opposite of scenery-chewing Malos and the rest of mostly goofy Torna (not to mention the sub-villains who range from Jabba the Nopon to Team Rocket)

Then you play TTGC and learn that Jin has always been a wet blanket! He's just a simple, boring dude who wants a simple, boring life, and his circumstances prevent that from ever being a possibility. Ironically it's this "lack" of character progression that really sells his arc in the main game; you can see exactly how a person like that can come to the conclusions that Jin did after everything he's been through

mandatory lesbian posted:

Got tbh if u dont love xord and metal face you are a complete weirdo

Xord rules hard, and one of my biggest surprises after replaying XB1 was how little he was in it vs. how I remembered it. He leaves such an impression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Steve Yun posted:

Switch is pretty good when you’re having the third power outage in the same day

Texas?