Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (December 26, 1983-January 1, 1984)

1984 is when the strip starts to get really funny. Looking forward to posting them here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City is in the Negative Zone today!

seriously why does this keep happening.

My best guess is that they have an automated process of some kind that tweaks the file and then saves it to a folder that then gets automatically uploaded to the website without any human ever looking at it. If the artist is doing something weird with the inks layer it might get shut off in the file tweaking stage and nobody is ever the wiser.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hostile V posted:

They do this just as a customer service check to try and keep you in good graces if the management is picky about making sure the customer has a positive image of the restaurant and pushes this/the server is angling for a tip or good review, or you've been there for a minute and they need to clear up a table and it's just a firm but polite nudge of "you may have lost track of the time".

Powered Descent posted:

It's an extremely common way for a table server to ask if you want the plate cleared away.

Fair enough, but never had this experience. I've had the server come by to ask if we're enjoying our meal or want our drinks refreshed, but not more than glances from afar suggesting they think it's time we leave.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

But then you're not Ed Kudlick and presumably don't feel personally and deliberately slighted by common aspects of daily life.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

...at least until he's hit on the head with a frying pan.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Giant Ethicist posted:

Whoops, got my threads mixed up!
Haraiso Days

With the medical capabilities this Earth must have (not only there are full body cyborg, some of them are indistinguishable from fully biological humans), such scars should be easily removed by their cosmetic surgery.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'd love to hate that power. :smith:

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Guy Fawkes posted:

With the medical capabilities this Earth must have (not only there are full body cyborg, some of them are indistinguishable from fully biological humans), such scars should be easily removed by their cosmetic surgery.

No surgeon wants to work on the idiot stupid enough to sleep with his yakuza boss's wife in case he forgets to breathe without a constant reminder and dies on the table

(I do not like this man because his misery is entirely self inflicted)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hattie Masters posted:

(I do not like this man because his misery is entirely self inflicted)

I don't buy this, the dude was caught between a rock and a hard place. Offending his yakuza boss's wife could easily have ended just as poorly.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

¡Aragones! (this is a long one)

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

That Aragones is a loving oof.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Oct 11, 1953)

drat, Shroeder is really laying on the burns today.

Calvin and Hobbes (Apr 10-11, 1992)

Big Nate

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 4, 2022

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

the cycle of violence will never break

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I have no doubt in my mind that Tauhid is gonna track Miles' hair growth in a realistic pattern over the next few weeks :3:

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days: Yeah, he was enjoying his life, but dude was a sex worker paying protection money to the mob, and the mob boss's wife came on to him. Not much room for a good outcome there.

I'm not super a fan of the "effete guy is redeemed by getting a haircut and a manual labor job" narrative (you notice his eyelashes and flashy jewelry disappeared the moment we were supposed to really start empathizing with him), but overall I like the chapter.

Cthulhu and Girl

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

I'm not super a fan of the "effete guy is redeemed by getting a haircut and a manual labor job" narrative (you notice his eyelashes and flashy jewelry disappeared the moment we were supposed to really start empathizing with him), but overall I like the chapter.
I think overall what this comic needs is for the bar owner to be completely and catastrophically wrong in her moral judgment of someone else's life in a way that causes her some introspection, but I may just be overly petty today.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 4, 2022

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

A more charitable interpretation is that you could read him as trying to be more like the giant brick of a woman who he has a crush on now. I don't think she's got a very fashionable haircut.

EDIT: The owner being wrong would be funny, though.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I don't think there's any resolution to this story y'all would've been happy with.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I don't think there's any resolution to this story y'all would've been happy with.
Sure thing: the guy talks his way out of sleeping with his boss's wife by explaining he's lovingly married to

Zereth posted:

the giant brick of a woman who he has a crush on now
and then we get a comedy-of-errors farce after the boss hears about this and demands to meet this new spouse to make sure she won't mess with his subordinate's work. Ensues are hijinxed.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Honestly, Haraiso is a little too saccharine and twee for my taste. People don't really have problems, they just have a mistaken perceptions and things mostly work out after they realize this. It's feels more moralistic than Uramachi Sakaba.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 5, 2022

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm not so sure it's really that "he's redeemed by doing a manual labor job" as it is that now that he's not a sex worker, he can be himself instead of constantly trying to woo women. You saw it earlier in the chapter where he was flirting with Haru and Rie, because his job is to try to get women to pay him to go out with him. Same with him losing the eyelashes and jewelry, it makes sense he's not going to dress fancy for a manual labor job and hell, he might have even had to sell all his jewelry and nice clothing now that his income has substantially dropped.

So it's just now that he doesn't have to try and seduce women into paying for his services, he can be himself at the bar more often. He mentions he's never talked to Rie this way, as in he's never had a genuine conversation with her, because he always just viewed her (all women, really) as potential revenue sources. This happens before he gets the manual labor job, so it's more just him not doing sex work anymore that's the cause of the change.

At worst I think you could read it as anti-sex worker, though I don't think it's necessarily so (I don't know the author's personal views on the subject so it could be). The dude just seemed like kind of a womanizer who was justifying it to himself by going "Well it's my job so not my fault!"

I think it's good anyway.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I like Haraiso. Not everything in here needs to be a hate-read like Holbrook that only keeps getting posted because... ...??

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

EasyEW posted:

Our Boarding House (September 18-20, 1922)

5,000,000 1922 Soviet Roubles would be worth approximately USD 0.000000000017 today!

edit: Beaten. I should really read down the page a bit before breaking out the calculator.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 5, 2022

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

this is by far my favorite of the Haraiso Days storylines, I liked this guy and his little story was pretty different and interesting

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm not so sure it's really that "he's redeemed by doing a manual labor job" as it is that now that he's not a sex worker, he can be himself instead of constantly trying to woo women. You saw it earlier in the chapter where he was flirting with Haru and Rie, because his job is to try to get women to pay him to go out with him. Same with him losing the eyelashes and jewelry, it makes sense he's not going to dress fancy for a manual labor job and hell, he might have even had to sell all his jewelry and nice clothing now that his income has substantially dropped.

So it's just now that he doesn't have to try and seduce women into paying for his services, he can be himself at the bar more often. He mentions he's never talked to Rie this way, as in he's never had a genuine conversation with her, because he always just viewed her (all women, really) as potential revenue sources. This happens before he gets the manual labor job, so it's more just him not doing sex work anymore that's the cause of the change.

At worst I think you could read it as anti-sex worker, though I don't think it's necessarily so (I don't know the author's personal views on the subject so it could be). The dude just seemed like kind of a womanizer who was justifying it to himself by going "Well it's my job so not my fault!"

I think it's good anyway.

and yeah i agree with this read, more or less.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I like Haraiso. Not everything in here needs to be a hate-read like Holbrook that only keeps getting posted because... ...??

I like it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Haraiso is good yeah.

And I already love this Baseball comic, the art and lines of action are outstanding. :3:

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Drakyn posted:

Sure thing: the guy talks his way out of sleeping with his boss's wife by explaining he's lovingly married to

and then we get a comedy-of-errors farce after the boss hears about this and demands to meet this new spouse to make sure she won't mess with his subordinate's work. Ensues are hijinxed.

I love this idea really. You could even have the bar owner getting harmlessly, but amusingly, wrong reads on the boss and his wife while pretending to swap roles in the business with Rei.

Schwarzwald posted:

Honestly, Haraiso is a little too saccharine and twee for my taste. People don't really have problems, they just have a mistaken perceptions and things mostly work out after they realize this. It's feels more moralistic than Uramachi Sakaba.

Yeah, I was thinking about this. Uramachi Sakaba has a much, much higher hit-to-miss ratio than Haraiso does, and I was struggling to work out why. I like Haraiso well enough, this story excluded, but it always lives in the shadow of Uramachi

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

This is great!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
It’s not as good as the other bar series but it does have

Zereth posted:

the giant brick of a woman

so it’s still good too

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
That Crabgrass made me laugh out loud pretty good.

Also I like Haraiso and Uramichi both. Also Cthulhu idol pal. Also this new baseball comic looks good~

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Hattie Masters posted:

I love this idea really. You could even have the bar owner getting harmlessly, but amusingly, wrong reads on the boss and his wife while pretending to swap roles in the business with Rei.
At the last minute just as everything seems to have sorted itself out after several narrow escapes and a lot of frantic lying, the boss opens the bar door to leave and is bumped into by three of the regulars who immediately and loudly greet the owner, her employees, and the fancy fella while casually and truthfully expositing precisely who each of them are in relation to each other. The infuriated boss draws his hanzo steel and tries to cut his employee's face but is far too wasted for this and gets caught in his own tie, knocking himself out cold with the sword's handle. The boss's wife is by now BFFs with the bar owner and uses this newfound comradeship to borrow giant brick lady to carry him home. Next morning she tells him everything that happened was a hallucination caused by passing out at his desk after working too hard and they should go on a vacation.
He agrees... so long as they make a quick stop first to hit up this cool bar he vaguely recalls someone telling him about. END

Anyways, if we're all formally summarizing our opinions re:Haraiso, I think I agree that my only real problem is that I find it a tad too moralizing here and there but

Evrart Claire posted:

it does have

Zereth posted:

the giant brick of a woman
so it’s still good too

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
baseball comic is giving hella tomorrow's joe vibes, excited

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Stuff.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
I’m glad people are interested in Haraiso enough to discuss it at least - I do think that this chapter was the best yet. Sadly we’ve only got one more chapter before it runs out, but hopefully he’ll keep publishing it in the magazine it’s in and we’ll get another collection eventually. I think the series has a lot of potential that he’s starting to get the hang of by this point, Miss Haru’s cool omnicompetence notwithstanding. We’ve also only got a couple weeks of Sakaba before we catch up, so I have to think of what else I might bring to the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

EasyEW posted:

Oh no...OH NO.

But seriously, Jess, no.

So where were we? Oh, right.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. NONONONONO.

I hope they eventually get to the final episode. Funky hasn't featured enough death lately.

quote:

Randy Milholland's Popeye answers the magic question "Guess who else was reading 'Spinach Springs' lately?"

This is really good. Great timely callback.