Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

King Carnivore posted:

E: “that’s the beauty of it, it doesn’t do anything

I am minting a series of pseudo-randomly generated Seinfeld nfts as we speak.

“People don’t turn down money, its what separates us from the animals.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/_hillu/status/1566396560992256001

lol these people are lunatics

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

haha the guy that goes on after that dude is Rawhide Kobayashi IRL

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Ironic in that one of those tyrants is actively and currently funding his regime through cryptocoins

and it's not Justin Trudeau

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

shame on an IGA posted:

haha the guy that goes on after that dude is Rawhide Kobayashi IRL
Keep them doges rolling

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Goddamn it it's through the 20k floor, it's supposed to fall now

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Somfin posted:

Goddamn it it's through the 20k floor, it's supposed to fall now

Big moves take time. Bigger players have been unloading hundreds of millions of dollars of Bitcoin. Last week saw over half a billion dollars exit and we haven't even seen RIOT or MARA collapse yet. It'll take time to slow rug the rest. Even the stock market has been holding up much better so far.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
From Reddit: NFT Viking game went bankrupt because of investing the funding in Luna

A Post The Developers Threw On Discord posted:

Where did all the money go? … There was a lot of weird stuff going on in the background … stuff that as employees we didn’t know how or have the power to confront. I still don’t really know the full truth, but here is what I have been told and have witnessed: …

Our founders put aside a bunch of the tax money in Luna, and they lost it all with Luna’s downfall. Pixie owed roughly 800,000 (as of the end of June 2022) in taxes from what I am told. This decision and eventual loss is why it couldn’t be paid and ultimately why Pixie is bankrupt.

Our founders started (without the rest of the team knowing) another project “NFTVault” not too long after our mint. It quickly failed. While it was out-of-pocket funded from them, Tom ad Wesley shifted their attention away from Pixie for a while,. This is when our upper management and leadership climate started to change and we all felt it.

If this sounds familiar, then no, this isn't Untamed Isles, another, entirely different game that hung its entire fate on crypto less than a month ago. This is an entirely different team making similar mistakes.

Eurogamer posted:

Development on Untamed Isles could not have been funded through Kickstarter solely. Grant stated he, along with Phat Loot's shareholders and board of directors, had personally been funding the company to keep it afloat, with none of them taking a salary.

Otherwise, the game's funding has come from crypto investors, which is now the biggest blocker for the game's release. Untamed Isles is intrinscally intertwined with cryptocurrency and blockchain, which attracted many crypto investors to the project. However, with the recent crypto crash, new crypto investors who were expected to add more funds instead pulled out. Currently, the company has no funds to keep the lights on, which is why development on Untamed Isles is being paused until crypto investors have more confidence in the market.

Grant reiterated throughout his stream that development on Untamed Isles would resume and the game would launch at the "right time", when the crypto market was in a better place. When exactly this will be, nobody knows.

Phat Loot says it will now wait for the crypto market to stabilise so its investors can return, and inject the funds which the developer says it still needs to see the game through.

Speaking at the end of his livestream, Grant remained staunchly opposed to refunding backers and releasing the game as it stood. Finally, he vowed to do everything in his power to ensure the game does eventually release. "Have faith in me, have faith in the project," he asked.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

quote:

"Have faith in me, have faith in the project," he asked.

No.

Astaldo
Jan 4, 2015

xXxGangsterNinjaAssassinxXx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwfejPdonnU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Welcome to the resistance, David Mitchell.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Somfin posted:

The other classic story that's been running through my head thinking about this is the Emperor's New Clothes. Like, we've got a bunch of guys who've been duped into thinking this stuff is not just valuable but cool and stylish, and everyone can see it's not. The difference is that these morons can't have anyone who mocks them killed, so they just retreat to their own little bubbles of other dudes who have also been duped by the same people.

Degen culture.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
untamed isles looked like it was gonna be a cool game, too bad the devs were dummies

drk
Jan 16, 2005
"Maybe our company shouldnt pay taxes we owe" is a bad business plan

"Maybe our company shouldnt pay taxes we owe because this ponzi scheme is offering big returns" is hilarious

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

two of my youtube subs got simulhacked, very cool

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

tyrelhill posted:

untamed isles looked like it was gonna be a cool game, too bad the devs were dummies

whats the fundamental gameplay?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I think I speak for everyone here when I say WAGMI WAGMI to the moon.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Would you wagmi? I’d wagmi. I’d wagmi hard.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

PhazonLink posted:

Google gives this blurb, hth.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

PhazonLink posted:

I happen to have an inside line to the company due to them being NZ game devs, and the answer there is "they kind of had a Pokemon battle system thing running but not really"

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Isn’t wagmi a rare and dangerous type of sushi?

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Somfin posted:

I happen to have an inside line to the company due to them being NZ game devs, and the answer there is "they kind of had a Pokemon battle system thing running but not really"

It seems like every crypto game is a Pokémon knock-off and the core gameplay loop is microtransactions.

deano
Sep 6, 2000

Scratch Monkey posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
not to knock on game genres, but it seems weird that the turn base rpg-like genre get all this lcd and scam poo poo. like why?

like I guess this is actually a question on why skinner boxes are successful, but like why?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Wall Balls posted:

two of my youtube subs got simulhacked, very cool

I love these scam hijacks.
The 4.1k viewers are bots, and usually the hijacker run a live chat with the video that says 'We are doing 2x your Butts, visit this website to send us your butts' and also 'Only subscribers who have been with the channel for at least 15 years can post' so no one can post its a scam.
And its the same video of Elon and 3 fuckwit yes people nodding to everything he says.

If you fall for this you deserve your butts taken.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
" 'Only subscribers who have been with the channel for at least 15 years can post' "

lol is this really a specific option people can do?

christ, no wonder why the internet is super balkanizing itself.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This'll end well:

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1566854342451384320

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
What a time to be alive. Crowdfunded videogame rugpulls can now claim that they invested their "investors" money in a crypto rugpull, and most of the people they scammed will simply go "Aww, too bad. I was looking forward to that game."

Imagine trying to explain that to your great grandpa.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Offler posted:

What a time to be alive. Crowdfunded videogame rugpulls can now claim that they invested their "investors" money in a crypto rugpull, and most of the people they scammed will simply go "Aww, too bad. I was looking forward to that game."

Imagine trying to explain that to your great grandpa.

"Penny stocks and snake oil sales, but on a big box full of electricity that connects to other boxes like it over phone lines. Yeah, grampy, it's as stupid as it sounds."

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Somfin posted:

Do all New Zealanders know each other, that sounds about right

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

not to knock on game genres, but it seems weird that the turn base rpg-like genre get all this lcd and scam poo poo. like why?

like I guess this is actually a question on why skinner boxes are successful, but like why?

It's easier to make a large number of characters/items/whatever feel somewhat distinct without actually inventing new mechanics for them. In an action game, if you want to have fifty characters that aren't all just obviously skins of the same main character, you have to make them play somewhat differently. In a RPG, you can just tweak the stats and change some flavor text

Nintendo can add a hundred new Pokemon every game because all they have to do to make new Pokemon is draw them, pick out stats for them, assign them a handful of preexisting moves, and drop them into a random encounter pool somewhere. The hardest part is making merchandise for them

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Scratch Monkey posted:

I thought it was some kind of fancy beef

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

vortmax posted:

I thought it was some kind of fancy beef

No you’re thinking of waygu, wagmi is a type of Japanese horseradish.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
My pronouns are waghe/waghim

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

drk posted:

Do all New Zealanders know each other, that sounds about right

no they just all know someone who knows any other person

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

PhazonLink posted:

" 'Only subscribers who have been with the channel for at least 15 years can post' "

lol is this really a specific option people can do?

christ, no wonder why the internet is super balkanizing itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMO3Px4QwdI

Here is one currently hacked. All you have to do is search for Space X and you instantly get the same video.
And its chat:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

It's because the dummies behind these projects are nerds who grew up playing them and that's what they like, not because of any focus testing or business acumen or anything.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well I also assume they are pretty cheap to make while still looking presentable

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

In my observation, there's not too much overlap between crypto nerds and gaming nerds. So many of the unhinged screeds I've seen on the future of NFTs in games are from people who clearly have barely touched video games and know almost nothing about the medium. These people can only conceive of like three different kinds of games, and pokemon is one of them. I also think that pokemon is one of the most obvious types of games to shoehorn NFTs into. From the very beginning, the ability to trade pokemon with other people has been a key selling point, so "Why not put them on the blockchain?" is the obvious question that comes to crypto-poisoned minds.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

It's easy to procedurally-generate unique party members that people can 'own'.