Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I actually recall an Amiga game that was very similar to Skyroads, except first person and with much simpler graphics. I remember it being monochromatic (yellowy?) with mostly lines and dots but with enough detail to see the path ahead of you - and you would then jump and swerve past obstacles in an outer space-like atmosphere, etc.

If it helps any I'm pretty sure it was included on one dual-game diskette alongside the Amiga version of Rampage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Maybe Eliminator? It's not first person, though. And the graphics are more complex than what you describe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKRf4oiW1b0

It might be Jump'n'Roll which has simpler graphics but again, not actually first person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4-fMjEzNTE

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Nah, it's not those, think more like very primitive flight simmy graphics, just a little bit more advanced than Battlezone on the level of Elite or something. This is a very vague memory but you might've even been able to turn the camera.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Aug 30, 2022

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
A Commodore 64 game where, I think, you had to touch each tile of a board. Conceptually similar to Q-Bert in that sense, but the board was flat (or at any rate didn't have nearly as much verticality as Q-Bert), and the gimmick was that you could be either on top of the board or underneath it. I think there was a kangaroo involved somehow?

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Flip and flop?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gaFx-SwERE

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That's got to be it, thank you! I'd completely forgotten about the monkey, but as soon as I saw it I went "oh yeah! And there was a monkey and it was loving impossible to tell which tile it was on!"

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Ok, so I'm thinking of a game that was released around 1997 maybe. DOS or Win95, not sure.
It had VGA style graphics,
it had a top down view of your aliens 2 style space marine in the center of the screen. You ran around the screen shooting aliens.
An endless horde of aliens would attack you from all sides. More aliens would appear as you played. It was impossible to win.
There might have been only one level or maybe it was shareware.
The main menu music was amazing.
I think the level had a vaguely jungle-ish theme with palm trees maybe?
I got the game from a demo disc.
I think the title had either Alien or Xeno in the title.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Alien Phobia / Phobia II, probably.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Dip Viscous posted:

Alien Phobia / Phobia II, probably.

holy poo poo yes. It was Alien Phobia 2 specifically.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
- MS-DOS era game
- RTS based in space, solar system-scale
- you could choose to control either a ship, or a reticle that had no combat ability of its own but was much faster
- it had split-screen 2-player mode
- you could input options with a Terminator-looking mechanical hand limited to a subscreen in a bottom corner of the screen

What is it?

Twilkitri
Feb 23, 2013
Possibly Star Reach / Space Federation? They don't have a picture of local multiplayer (or even any good ones of the single-player...) but I remember it having that.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Twilkitri posted:

Possibly Star Reach / Space Federation? They don't have a picture of local multiplayer (or even any good ones of the single-player...) but I remember it having that.

Yes, definitely this. Thanks. I remembered the name possibly having something to do with Federation, but wasn't sure. And I recognize the robot hand menu.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

So this is one I would see the big kids play in our schools ancient computer lab, would have been around the same time as number muncher and oregon trail, the graphics were very simple (like that gorillias msdos game) and it was a side scroller. Or actually, I dont remember any scrolling, I think it was just a single screen, with a bunch of different levels/floors on that screen, and a whole bunch of weird critters walking around. I can't remember anything else, if it was supposed to be educational or what

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I didn't get to play it because of time restrictions, but I saw it when I was at Space Camp in Huntsville AL. back in 1990 or 1991. It was more or less SimCity but on the Moon. I know it was on a computer platform, but don't know if it was DOS or what...

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Lowen SoDium posted:

I didn't get to play it because of time restrictions, but I saw it when I was at Space Camp in Huntsville AL. back in 1990 or 1991. It was more or less SimCity but on the Moon. I know it was on a computer platform, but don't know if it was DOS or what...

Moonbase?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nKYFbvoLRM

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Lowen SoDium posted:

There were add-on disks for SimCity that added different tilesets including a moon-themed one. Perhaps it was that?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

The Chad Jihad posted:

So this is one I would see the big kids play in our schools ancient computer lab, would have been around the same time as number muncher and oregon trail, the graphics were very simple (like that gorillias msdos game) and it was a side scroller. Or actually, I dont remember any scrolling, I think it was just a single screen, with a bunch of different levels/floors on that screen, and a whole bunch of weird critters walking around. I can't remember anything else, if it was supposed to be educational or what

Shot in the dark: Lode Runner? https://loderunnerwebgame.com/game/

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The Chad Jihad posted:

Was it eye searing orange? My shot in the dark is Monuments of Mars.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

I think this is it, thank you!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

One from a Discord friend, "a very clear memory of a dos game that I've not been able to find any evidence of despite looking for 15 years":

quote:

So this is what I remember of this game or whatever it was. There was a grid of orbs and you moved a spiderbot kinda thing around it. When you'd select an orb it would switch to a side view and a little grabber arm would reach down from the bot and do something to the orb. I was never able to figure out how to play it. I also very distinctly remember the sound the grabber arm would make: ZOR-AAAK AHLP-BELP UHL-BAARBH then electronic beeping noises

last time I tried looking I went through one of those dos game archival sites and looked at every single game to see if anything looked familiar and had no luck

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
This is gonna be a weird one: I dimly remember there being a TAS (tool-assisted speedrun) of a game that made use of a developer cheat code that required resetting the game a whole bunch of times, like 10 or more. This would have been on an early game console, like NES, SNES, Genesis, something from roughly that era. Presumably the code was to unlock a super-hard mode or something else that would be interesting to TAS.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Zanac for the NES had a stage select you could access by hitting the reset button 13 times.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

Zanac for the NES had a stage select you could access by hitting the reset button 13 times.

That's probably it, thanks!

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Got a few weird ones. I vaguely recall some old edutainment game from kindergarten, so probably early 90's, although most likely it was a donation, so already a bit dated. My hunch would be it was running on an old Macintosh but I have no idea. I think the tiles were largely a murky brown, and there was something about piloting a hot air balloon through a cave collecting letters.

Second is a really lovely-looking DOS (I think?) game I remember playing on a friend's computer. It looked vaguely like boulderdash except I don't remember if there were physics on the rocks, but the palette was pretty much exclusively a green background and grey blocks, and the level I played had me stuck in a single-tile corridor that ran horizontally, zigging and zagging upwards slowly while giant spiders come down the corridor to attack.

Last one might be easier, but might also no longer exist; 3D browser game that was probably made in the Unity browser engine back when that was still a thing. Somewhere between when RealArcade was semi-relevant and when Jetpack Brontosaurus came out. You played as a ball (superball?), there was a jump button, and you started off rolling around a huge field but the real game started when you found the first few platforms floating in the air and had to jump your way up to the obstacle course floating in the sky. If at any point you fell, you'd have to roll your way back to the start and begin again. I remember having extra difficulty finding this one even at the time because there were apparently at least two very similar browser games and I kept finding the other one when looking for this one because I couldn't remember the name.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 5, 2022

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Second is a really lovely-looking DOS (I think?) game I remember playing on a friend's computer. It looked vaguely like boulderdash except I don't remember if there were physics on the rocks, but the palette was pretty much exclusively a green background and grey blocks, and the level I played had me stuck in a single-tile corridor that ran horizontally, zigging and zagging upwards slowly while giant spiders come down the corridor to attack.

This might be one of the Paganitzu games.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

cmndstab posted:

This might be one of the Paganitzu games.

Nah, the graphics were much cruder than that if you can believe it. Looked like someone's My First Basic game project. It may have been running on Windows 3.1, actually, I think the pixel density was a bit higher than what you'd get from a typical DOS game.

That being said, this has made me realize I never did play Paganitzu and maybe I should!

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Do you remember anything about what the player character looked like? There were a lot of Boulderdash clones and it seems like original character do not steal was how they tried to set themselves apart pretty often.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Dip Viscous posted:

Do you remember anything about what the player character looked like? There were a lot of Boulderdash clones and it seems like original character do not steal was how they tried to set themselves apart pretty often.

Sadly no, the standout points in my mind are lovely art, everything looked like it was made in MSPaint by a teenager with no art background, all the graphical tiles were surprisingly big and there was no between-tiles animation so it was kind of jarring every time something moved, and there was nothing to distinguish between playable area and the walls other than one was green, and one was grey. Just, solid-fill colors from what I recall. I kept getting the two mixed up in my head, thinking walls were walkable spaces and vice versa. I don't think there was much of a UI if any, or any animations.

It's entirely possible the player was just a stickman. Maybe with a hat or something.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 5, 2022

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Sadly no, the standout points in my mind are lovely art, everything looked like it was made in MSPaint by a teenager with no art background, all the graphical tiles were surprisingly big and there was no between-tiles animation so it was kind of jarring every time something moved, and there was nothing to distinguish between playable area and the walls other than one was green, and one was grey. Just, solid-fill colors from what I recall. I kept getting the two mixed up in my head, thinking walls were walkable spaces and vice versa. I don't think there was much of a UI if any, or any animations.

It's entirely possible the player was just a stickman. Maybe with a hat or something.

Chip's Challenge?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

Chip's Challenge?

lol

I mean honestly that might be the closest looking comparison I could make but even CC had much better and more defined art. It was definitely that kind of grey I'm thinking of, too.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

MonkeyforaHead posted:

lol

I mean honestly that might be the closest looking comparison I could make but even CC had much better and more defined art. It was definitely that kind of grey I'm thinking of, too.

Windows 95 grey.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

IMJack posted:

Windows 95 grey.

Is there a more iconic grey?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Nes game my cousin had, you were some kind of astronaut, you had to visit a shop between levels, whenever you entered a door to finish a level they're was a kind of phasing out animation, it wasn't solar jet man, the character had a kind of elvis style hair do.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Nes game my cousin had, you were some kind of astronaut, you had to visit a shop between levels, whenever you entered a door to finish a level they're was a kind of phasing out animation, it wasn't solar jet man, the character had a kind of elvis style hair do.

Solar Jetman?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

JollyBoyJohn posted:

it wasn't solar jet man

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I don't think there's a shop but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b3-LSC4Vko

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Rad Gravity! Thank you

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Anyone remembers the name of that one JRPGer where you gain different stats on your level up depending on the nutritional content of food you ate between level ups?

It was either a PS1 or PS2, IIRC.

EDIT: It was Ehrgeiz.

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

Jack Trades posted:

Anyone remembers the name of that one JRPGer where you gain different stats on your level up depending on the nutritional content of food you ate between level ups?

I seem to recall Odin Sphere doing something like that Zwei too as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jack Trades posted:

It's weird that this could also almost describe the original River City Ransom.