Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mymla posted:

This has been a standing question for like 10 chapters now but if "the ability to grow infinite hands" is not a quirk, then what the hell is it?

I'm trying to think of any possible explanation that makes sense other than "Horikoshi didn't want to write Eraserhead out of the scene but he also didn't want Eraserhead to nullify Shigaraki's powers again like the last time we had 40 heroes throwing themselves at Super Shigaraki to no appreciable effect" and I'm drawing a complete blank. Shigaraki's explanation was "oh, it's just cell growth, not a quirk, lol" which doesn't make any sense because the hands seem to have such explosive growth that they can be used as incredibly lethal weapons and he can fully control them.

(Probably the funniest thing about this stupid loving fight is that it's not even the first time that we've had this "everyone lines up and takes shots at Shigaraki and all of them accomplish nothing" situation in the comic.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Indiana_Krom posted:

The key to defeating AFOgaraki is to make a plot development so boring and stupid even he facepalms and accidentally dusts himself.

What if that plot development was "Shigaraki finds the reverse function on his quirk"?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mymla posted:

This has been a standing question for like 10 chapters now but if "the ability to grow infinite hands" is not a quirk, then what the hell is it?
The explanation is that the human body has to have some sort of equilibrium or balance with the quirk factor- this is why when you load people up with quirks it makes them brain-dead (thus why Noumu had to be manufactured to take tons of quirks)

Tomura's body has been modified to withstand AFO and a bucketload of quirks in such a way that his body is I guess, adapting to it. His growth is his body moving to meet AFO instead of how it'd normally be where AFO would fry the body of a normal person if they got it. This is also why Tomura could take OFA and not die prematurely like everyone else who had it who wasn't originally quirkless did.

Also Orihime had a ridiculously overpowered sounding ability and then like the abilities of everyone who wasn't Ichigo or Yawach it was basically declared unable to do anything because it could've potentially solved a central problem and create a plot hole

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Mymla posted:

It seems like it's some kind of mutation that isn't related to a quirk. It's like how someone having a bicycle for a face is a quirk but a person with dwarfism just has a genetic mutation. Except in this case instead of dwarfism it's the ability to inifinitely grow hands.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's just Akira except stupid.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Fabricated posted:

The explanation is that the human body has to have some sort of equilibrium or balance with the quirk factor- this is why when you load people up with quirks it makes them brain-dead (thus why Noumu had to be manufactured to take tons of quirks)

Tomura's body has been modified to withstand AFO and a bucketload of quirks in such a way that his body is I guess, adapting to it. His growth is his body moving to meet AFO instead of how it'd normally be where AFO would fry the body of a normal person if they got it. This is also why Tomura could take OFA and not die prematurely like everyone else who had it who wasn't originally quirkless did.

Also Orihime had a ridiculously overpowered sounding ability and then like the abilities of everyone who wasn't Ichigo or Yawach it was basically declared unable to do anything because it could've potentially solved a central problem and create a plot hole

No ichigo's ability didn't do anything either. He gets his powerup with a true fusion of all his powers then Ywach just breaks it immediately with his King Crimson. Aizen was the one that did anything in teh final battle with his power

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kild posted:

No ichigo's ability didn't do anything either. He gets his powerup with a true fusion of all his powers then Ywach just breaks it immediately with his King Crimson. Aizen was the one that did anything in teh final battle with his power
I mean, after Uryu stops Yawach's power for a second Ichigo does get to cut him in half finally. It's just that we don't know anything about what his true ultimate for reals power actually does besides generic sword stuff.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's just Akira except stupid.

It’s this, yes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's basically superhero logic again.

It's like how Spider-Man mutated because he was bitten by a radioactive spider but he isn't actually a mutant just a mutate because mutants are specifically people who get powers from their X-Gene. Whatever is happening to him isn't a result of the Quirk stuff, it's some different kind of weird mutation mad science poo poo. They already established they can do genetic engineering and stuff that is separate from actual Quirks so it's just suppose to follow from that.

"I have an ability that nullifies (x)!" "Well jokes on you because even though I don't have my powers I'm still (y)" is reasonably common comic writing. Sometimes it is stupid as hell and sometimes it is Storm kicking the poo poo out of Calysto without her powers because even without her powers Storm is still a badass.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Woozie66 posted:

Don't forget about Magne too.

Oh yeah! It's definitely enough to not be a coincidence IMO

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mymla posted:

a mutation

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Woozie66 posted:

Don't forget about Magne too.
maybe this is proof that horikoshi is woke

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Well, Tiger's still alive.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Staltran posted:

When? If you mean in 362 then I don't see anything. If before, then... why didn't he tell Jeanist?

He seemed to be out of it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fabricated posted:

Well, Tiger's still alive.

Suddenly new reinforcements arrive to help fight Shigaraki

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tiger's with that group? I find I've completely lost track of who's where outside of the focus characters

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I dont remember seeing Tiger since the training camp arc, but then again I forgot there were a bunch of other people around in the Endeavor/AFO fight

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm pretty sure they were making a joke about Tiger suddenly and inexplicably showing up just to get owned.

Edit: Also I think Tiger was at the raid and was there for Shiggy's wave of destruction when he woke up

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 4, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Official

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-365/chapter/25373?action=read

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1014027

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

This has reached the beastars I'm too far in I'll just see this crazy limp over the line now on MHA.

The Croc fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 4, 2022

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm pretty sure they were making a joke about Tiger suddenly and inexplicably showing up just to get owned.

Edit: Also I think Tiger was at the raid and was there for Shiggy's wave of destruction when he woke up

Tiger helped evacuate the people at the hospital before all the fighting began and was shown to have escaped the decay wave.

I think Tiger may have been shown in a group shot with all the heroes at the start of this arc, but I have no idea where he was sent.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Croc posted:

This has reached the bestars I'm too far in I'll just see this crazy limp over the line now on MHA.

Series gonna end on Shigiraki out on parole, receiving a bunch of fanmail and smiling at the camera.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I'd really settle for Shigaraki getting kicked in the face and going "ow" at this point. I can't believe he banished Deku to Snake Way just to stall with this poo poo.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Isn't that more or less what happened this chapter?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Horikoshi is clearly setting up this saga to end the same way it begin: with Tenko getting the everloving poo poo slapped out of him by his dad.

Poetry.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Like, I get what is Horikoshi trying to do with both Mirko and Shigaraki. With Mirko, he is trying to go for a feral badass with her - someone who will continue charging and fighting even if their limbs are literally torn apart and everything seems lost and with Shigaraki, he is trying to establish that despite seeming invincible, the heroes are wearing him out, both physically and psychologically and laying foundation for his eventual defeat by Deku. But while his ideas are solid, his execution is just poo poo- Mirko's constant dismemberment is, at this point, just dumb at best and fetishistic at worst and Shigaraki is just boringly untouchable, until suddenly, he is not and is just arbitrarily taking hits and freaking out. And unfortunately, he is fumbling the execution of his ideas this whole arc and it is really getting to the point where you can make comparisons to the end of Bleach and not seem unreasonable. :sigh:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

oh jay posted:

Horikoshi is clearly setting up this saga to end the same way it begin: with Tenko getting the everloving poo poo slapped out of him by his dad.

Poetry.

Quick, Momo, make a shovel. :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Just need to hold out until Sherlock Holmes shows up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B62ACxuq8Pw

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

BEFORE INFILTRATING THE BOY'S INNARDS

...why is that the phrasing they went with

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Lolling hard at the first couple pages

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Isn't that more or less what happened this chapter?

He didn't even say ow, he just felt like he maybe sorta might be close to saying it reflexively, not for any actual reason. Because he's perfect and invincible.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

drat, his health bar's at 99%, keep up the good work, team!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

As a Miriko fan this loving sucks

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

As a Miriko fan this loving sucks

She's an amalgam of Horikoshi's fetishes. It was inevitable he'd take it too far.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I think that what's happening with Mirko is a little distasteful, but it's also nice to have equal opportunity violence. In shonen, we often have the male characters getting incredibly, viscerally hosed up, while women get little dirt scratches drawn on them (see: Bakugo vs. Uraraka) trying to convince the reader that they were beaten within an inch of life.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

So ballistic missiles have no effect on Shigaraki, but Bakugo's explosions are his weakness. :psyduck:

Obviously unlike the ballistic missiles and zoo cannon, Bakugo's explosions are infused with the power of god and anime.

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

So ballistic missiles have no effect on Shigaraki, but Bakugo's explosions are his weakness. :psyduck:

He specifically dodged the ballistic missiles by burrowing into the ground.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

rocketbrah posted:

He specifically dodged the ballistic missiles by burrowing into the ground.

I wish Shigaraki was drawn like that all the time.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The Awesomesaurus posted:

I wish Shigaraki was drawn like that all the time.

Please keep your amputee fetishism out of the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Scholtz posted:

Please keep your amputee fetishism out of the thread

Based on what's going on with Mirko, amputee fetishism is the intended target audience of the manga. :v: