Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I’m so sad I missed the free weekend. Hopefully uncle Nintendo takes my money still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

YIPPEE

Electromax
May 6, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Nintendo should include my favourite ever Nintendo game super Mario land 3: wario land on the switch

When I was a little kid, level ~4 with the instantly pursuing thwomp block scared me every time, I had to make my sister beat it for me. Definitely like it more than SML2, the treasures and keys are a neat system. And pirate ducks on awesome (for the GB) train levels.

How's the music in XBC2 & 3? Thing I liked most about 1 was the calming jams everywhere, especially at night.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Electromax posted:

How's the music in XBC2 & 3? Thing I liked most about 1 was the calming jams everywhere, especially at night.

Excellent in both.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Excellent in both.

Great. Play xbc3 first.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

nitsuga posted:

I’m so sad I missed the free weekend. Hopefully uncle Nintendo takes my money still.

Aside from the experience, which was awesome, nothing gained from that splatfest is brought over to the real game.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Has anyone used this Joy-Con Repair service from Nintendo's customer support? My Joy-Con sticks are drifting like crazy and I'm thinking about using this service, but before I put my name in their system I want to know how the process will go. Will it just spit out a shipping label addressed to the nearest repair center? Is the shipping paid by them? Should I find a small enough box or will a padded envelope do? This is a one-time free repair because they got sued over how often their joysticks go bad, right?

If I already opened them up to put electrical tape on the bottom of the stick modules to try to fix the drifting myself, will they just send them back saying I broke the warranty on them or something?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barreft posted:

Great. Play xbc3 first.

Absolutely not. XBC2's references are a lot more prevalent than 1 in 3 and spoils a lot of its twists by the end.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

hatty posted:

Don’t understand how you can like XB3 but hate XB2 so much, they’re pretty much the same quality

They're not remotely in tone, outside of they were made by the same company

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Release Advance Wars Reboot Camp you cowards

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
My opinion on XBC2 is that Mòrag rules and that makes me willing to forgive a surprising amount of the other stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hatty posted:

Don’t understand how you can like XB3 but hate XB2 so much, they’re pretty much the same quality

They are not even close to the same quality in terms of polish and in terms of character writing, and only one has random gatcha mechanics that you have to spin to be able to do things like 'explore the world" or "Get non-boring characters."

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Tender Bender posted:

A lot of what's wrong with XBC2 is subjective. I actively hated Tora, and was pretty negative on Rex/Pyra/Mythra's whole deal, which felt like pretty treacly melodrama at best and weird wish fulfillment garbage at worst. That's like half the main cast and the main thrust of the plot.

The Architect is an offscreen passive presence for 99% of the game whereas Zanza is a pretty active antagonist and technically is manipulating Shulk for the first 2/3 of the game

the architect’s passivity is the whole point of his character tho. why he’s MIA is one of the central mysteries of the game and the explanation you get is really cool and makes him a really interesting character.

also pyra and mythra are great. Nia too. they are much more active in the story than Xenoblade 1’s female party members and have a lot more depth.

Morag, Brighid, Zekenator, Pandoria, all great. And the party members all interact with each other and have clearly-defined relationships. What would, like, Sharla and Dunban even have a conversation about together. I can’t imagine. Does that ever even happen?

Stux posted:

i only played 2 and 3. 3 has made me more interested in playing 1, but the openeing to 2 is extremely dire in the writing and character dept to me.

nobody has really disputed that the opening of Xenoblade 2 is very weak

Augus fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 5, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Rolo posted:

Texas?

Los Angeles. It was 110° where I am

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

also hating Tora isn’t subjective. everyone hates tora

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

also hating Tora isn’t subjective. everyone hates tora

Not true, I like the little fuzzball

Hating him is like hating an adorable little hamster, and I don't have that much hate in me :3:

Now Zeke, that guy I immediately despised on first sight and it didn't get better

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Libluini posted:

Hating him is like hating an adorable little hamster, and I don't have that much hate in me :3:

Now Zeke, that guy I immediately despised on first sight and it didn't get better

are you from another planet

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Steve Yun posted:

Switch is pretty good when you’re having the third power outage in the same day
massively underrated feature imo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Libluini posted:

Adorable little hamsters don't build a sex robot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rolo posted:

I think the only time I’ve cared about textures on the Switch was when I played Arceus. I don’t mind if a game doesn’t look hyper real with ray tracing and all that but after playing Odyssey and Zelda I felt like this was their shot to make the Pokémon world something pretty to explore and they just kinda said meh to the environment and models.

It still blows me away how they made BotW look so good on this portable device 6 years ago. I have so many screenshots.

One of those moments when you get unfortunately reminded that Game Freak is a seperate entity from Nintendo, even if a connected one. I still think they're suffering the HD transitional difficulties a decade late thanks to having been handheld-focused for so long, and it really shows.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

A good poster posted:

Has anyone used this Joy-Con Repair service from Nintendo's customer support? My Joy-Con sticks are drifting like crazy and I'm thinking about using this service, but before I put my name in their system I want to know how the process will go. Will it just spit out a shipping label addressed to the nearest repair center? Is the shipping paid by them? Should I find a small enough box or will a padded envelope do? This is a one-time free repair because they got sued over how often their joysticks go bad, right?

If I already opened them up to put electrical tape on the bottom of the stick modules to try to fix the drifting myself, will they just send them back saying I broke the warranty on them or something?

You get a shipping label or barcode to scan at UPS, then they show up again in like three days without you paying for anything assuming they weren't obviously submerged or smashed. The only trick to know is they'll want you to write the rma code and your address on a note inside the box before you tape it up.

The only catch is you can only send five per request. You can send multiple sets of five. You can send the same ones over again.

They get mad if there's literally anything aftermarket, and include an angry letter. Don't tempt fate, remove the tape.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Libluini posted:

all Nopon are adorable little hamsters

but only one Nopon has built multiple sex robots, screams out "meh-meh-meh!!!" roughly 100x a second in combat, and derails the story with a series of mandatory quests involving two additional sex robots

seeing past Zeke's chuuni facade is one of the best parts of the back half of XB2. you're supposed to not like him at first blush

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Augus posted:

the architect’s passivity is the whole point of his character tho. why he’s MIA is one of the central mysteries of the game and the explanation you get is really cool and makes him a really interesting character.

also pyra and mythra are great. Nia too. they are much more active in the story than Xenoblade 1’s female party members and have a lot more depth.

Morag, Brighid, Zekenator, Pandoria, all great. And the party members all interact with each other and have clearly-defined relationships. What would, like, Sharla and Dunban even have a conversation about together. I can’t imagine. Does that ever even happen?

I really like lategame Xenoblade 2 (big spoilers obviously) As you get to the base of the tree and, if you've played Xenoblade 1, you can immediately realize just where you actually are and holy poo poo it's a chunk of Old Earth without spelling it out or spoiling it for anyone who started with XBC2 first. And when you get to the Architect his impetus for you to beat the game is "Yeah, uh, the guys in Xenoblade 1 are about to kick my other half's rear end at the end of their game and reality's gonna start having some issues when that happens so, uh... hurry up?"

More broadly, The Xenoblade sequels do a really impressive job of rewarding you for having prior knowledge of the earlier games, yet still only giving you further questions about what the gently caress is going on without letting you learn anything too soon.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 5, 2022

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Adorable little hamsters don't build a sex robot.

I pretend really hard that's completely platonic

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I have to agree with XB1 having a weak cast. Sharla and Dunban both have some plot relevance early on, and then they fall into the wayslide and their personal plots get solved in 2 scenes tops. Reyn has the same but at least he's clearly the heart of the group whose main job is to get Shulk to develop. Riki has 0 plot relevance and he doesn't even have any good scenes beyond his intro.

Shulk, Seven and Melia are actually all good, but Seven suffers from joining late (even if they have plot relevance) and someone at Monolith Soft made a bet on how much could they gently caress over Melia's happiness.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I agree with x1 cast being neat but just lacking in development but excuse it due to era and scope of game 3 has 6 mains and Im at the halfway point and I understand who they are better than shulk and anyone in x2

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I bought Kirby and the Forgotten Land!

It's fun :3:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

WarpDogs posted:

Jin is a wet blanket, but I think that works when he has to star opposite of scenery-chewing Malos and the rest of mostly goofy Torna (not to mention the sub-villains who range from Jabba the Nopon to Team Rocket)

Then you play TTGC and learn that Jin has always been a wet blanket! He's just a simple, boring dude who wants a simple, boring life, and his circumstances prevent that from ever being a possibility. Ironically it's this "lack" of character progression that really sells his arc in the main game; you can see exactly how a person like that can come to the conclusions that Jin did after everything he's been through

Xord rules hard, and one of my biggest surprises after replaying XB1 was how little he was in it vs. how I remembered it. He leaves such an impression

Yeah I didn't feel Jin at all, but I also never finished TTGC. I should circle back at some point and fix that, but right now I'm balls deep in XBC3 and loving it!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

External Organs posted:

I bought Kirby and the Forgotten Land!

It's fun :3:

Hell yeah it is brother. Tip for something the game never tells you (although those little newsletter things mention it I think: if you dodge an attack you get Witch Time so be a cool guy and dodge into boss attacks like it’s Dark Souls.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Last Celebration posted:

Hell yeah it is brother. Tip for something the game never tells you (although those little newsletter things mention it I think: if you dodge an attack you get Witch Time so be a cool guy and dodge into boss attacks like it’s Dark Souls.

Wtf! Is there even a Dodge button?

I want to be a cool guy...

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

WarpDogs posted:

XB2 has a very strange side quest structure. They're constantly hiding them on you behind development levels, unmarked triggers, or esoteric blade quest requirements. But they all rule, especially blade quests which are often unique, very surprising, and have full party voice acting

best yet, almost every blade quest explores the themes of the game, but in more succinct way. Ves' story in particular (whiich tbf, a lot harder to miss than most) is a theme XB2 spends 60 hours exploring, but told in the span of a couple short and very easy to understand cutscenes

I'm not sure I buy that whole "XB2 was rushed and unfinished" thing, especially given that its main problems are things ever single Xeno game has also suffered from. But there's no way the devs wanted all that (expensive to create) content to be missed by 90%+ of players

Until you get 90% of the way through one and it tells you you don’t have the right skills to finish it and you don’t even have a blade with the required skill and then you go to pull in the gacha all of your resources and then you still need to spend hours leveling them, to continue this quest you got almost all the way through

I think this happening twice to me is literally why I stopped playing the game

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

External Organs posted:

Wtf! Is there even a Dodge button?

I want to be a cool guy...

Oh, idk if the game ever mentions that either, just hold down the guard button and move in a direction if you’re not using Ice or the big sword mod for Sword.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Release Advance Wars Reboot Camp you cowards

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the gacha 100% sucks but at the very least the non-Gacha blades (minus Vess) are all pretty solid. The DLC definitely helped by giving a bunch of legendary core crystals at the start and also Corvin and Crosette, who are both really strong and fun blades to use and also have fun personalities

Field skills suck and I will never defend any aspect of their implementation. Even once you have enough blades to pass all the checks it’s still a pain in the rear end to shuffle your blades around to fill out the requirements. It’s not helped by the lack of an option to save your builds, something that the series has been in dire need of since the very first game.

Xenoblade 2 definitely hits lower lows than 1 but it also hits higher highs imo. I used to hate the game, I bought it on release and only in the past month or so did I push past the early chapters and finally find myself enjoying the game. Once it finally got moving (and once I watched a bunch of Enel’s video guides so I could actually understand the combat) I found it hard to put down.

Augus fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 5, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Augus posted:

the gacha 100% sucks but at the very least the non-Gacha blades (minus Vess) are all pretty solid. The DLC definitely helped by giving a bunch of legendary core crystals at the start and also Corvin and Crosette, who are both really strong and fun blades to use and also have fun personalities

Field skills suck and I will never defend any aspect of their implementation. Even once you have enough blades to pass all the checks it’s still a pain in the rear end to shuffle your blades around to fill out the requirements. It’s not helped by the lack of an option to save your builds, something that the series has been in dire need of since the very first game.

Xenoblade 2 definitely hits lower lows than 1 but it also hits higher highs imo. I used to hate the game, I bought it on release and only in the past month or so did I push past the early chapters and finally find myself enjoying the game. Once it finally got moving (and once I watched a bunch of Enel’s video guides so I could actually understand the combat) I found it hard to put down.

Field skills should've been accumulative throughout your total Blade pool rather than your active party. Maybe balance numbers to account for that of course, but it'd still make it a hell of a lot easier to manage.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
xb1 gating its heart to hearts behind affection checks was a similar flub. I love Riki but the guy basically ceases to exist past his opening arc without those conversations

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Field skills should've been accumulative throughout your total Blade pool rather than your active party. Maybe balance numbers to account for that of course, but it'd still make it a hell of a lot easier to manage.

Oh, true that. At first it made me feel really smart when I figured out I could just manipulate things by throwing out blades irrelevant to the task at hand and equipping some random surfer dude robot guy just because he had +2 to wind or whatever, but constantly changing blades to match new skill requests got tiresome real fast.

Also some of my nominally useful blades are stuck at E-level trust despite being used constantly. No idea what that's supposed to be. I guess I need to look into more guides to level up those blades?

It would also be neat if I could just buy cooking ingredients instead of having to run around for weeks collecting dumb poo poo just so Pyra can make another soup. A pet peeve of mine that got 10x as annoying when I realized that one of her blade level-up requirements was bound to heavy cooking skill usage. There was even another quest that forced me to use cooking, but all the bullshit magic potion teas I let Pyra make then of course didn't count! :shepface:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Augus posted:

Oh yea the Architect is cool, I just mean his role in the game is so different from Zanza that a 1:1 comparison doesn't really do anything. Zanza is much more comparable to Amalthus or even Malos in terms of his presence and role in the game.

And not disputing that some of XBC2's party is well fleshed out. Pyra and Mythra may have had a lot of characterization but that didn't mean I particularly enjoyed hearing the millionth conversation about how they loved Rex and Rex loved them. This is probably why Torna is so well received, because it removes those characters from existing constantly in Rex's orbit.

I just actively disliked a lot of XC2's plot, especially the main character and his relationships which were the driving force of the entire game. I liked those things and the central plot of XC1 (and, so far, XC3) a lot more. Like I said, it's subjective.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Last Celebration posted:

Oh, idk if the game ever mentions that either, just hold down the guard button and move in a direction if you’re not using Ice or the big sword mod for Sword.

There's a guard button???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Libluini posted:

Also some of my nominally useful blades are stuck at E-level trust despite being used constantly. No idea what that's supposed to be. I guess I need to look into more guides to level up those blades?

check the key slot (the one all the way to the left) on their affinity chart, some blades have requirements besides just raising their trust in order to level them up. It might involve a certain heart-to-heart or sidequest. If it says ??? that usually means you can’t do it yet. Some of them are pretty stupid, like Agate’s level 3 that doesn’t open up until you get the full party but you can accidentally temporarily lock yourself out of it for a chapter if you progress a bit past that point. Some of them you just gotta Google because they involve heart-to-hearts that only appear if you sleep at a specific inn with the correct blades in your party at 12:31pm with a northerly wind while Jupiter is in retrograde.

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 5, 2022